Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citywest Village Launch Spring 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Joe_Biscuits

If that is the site for the halting site and social housing then its not too bad - thats a good 1.5km away from the Citywest Village site.

CitywestMan - are you talking about the site that is right in front of the shopping centre and kinda to the side of the petrol station?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭New Home Help

Oh yeh - the site between the Citywest Shopping Centre & the garage (on the plan as 'Neighbourhood Park' - that is quite a large site! Does anyone know of any plans for this???

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

It's hard to believe that Citywest Village houses are going to stretch as far out as ''Ard Mor''. Surely this will affect property values. I suppose that this also means that at least parts of the development won't be gated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CitywestMan

Joe - Yeah, referring to the vacant land between the shopping centre and the petrol station

ConorMC - Do you know if its the standard 25% social housing in the estate ? I think we all know, it's the feral youth who cause problems. The 'rapid build' site is all 3 bed homes which means each family has kids who would walk around aimlessly all day ( already a common sight in that area).

From what I know - Sherry Fitz has no way of knowing who would be assigned the social housing units - no one but the SDCC would have access to that list. It's quite evident that they 'filter' - for example the social housing units near Stephens Green are almost all older people ( much quieter) - I doubt they will reserve the nicer ones for an estate in Citywest when they would be under a lot more pressure to accomodate 'older people only' in significantly more expensive estates in Blackrock and Churchtown

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nimmy89

This social housing, are ye talking about in Citywest village or is this in the site 1.5km away??

Got an email from the agent saying next phase is close to being released - excited and nervous to get everything underway!!

How much did the houses in the last phase go for? And what are the expectant prices this time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Fantastic news - more 'bang for buck' on the investment.

On a serious note - I'm worried about the 'Community park' on the plan ( on citywest road) just opposite the estate being turned into a social welfare housing site as its a massive vacant plot

The developers have to include park land areas, that land between the new topaz and the shopping center has been subject to a planning application which proposed private housing (houses and apartments) along that area (known as cooldown common). The nearby Carrickmore park (behind the shopping center) was developed by citywest a few years ago also.
    The proposed rapid build at cheeverstown is very close to citywest village (a lot of people walk from the cheeverstown luas stop down to the citywest campus stop on the grass that runs along the luas tracks), when the latter phases of citywest village are completed the rapid build will be cheek by jowl with citywest village.
    I saw somebody noted the proximity of citywest village to Ard Mor (a lesser known Tallaght trouble spot) and yes it is right behind the wall at the luas car park at citywest, citywest village will have a large boundary with Ard Mor when the phase on the opposite side of the Luas tracks is completed.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hello_Buddy

Hello All,

I found a Facebook group "Citywest Village New Homes" created by "NewHome NewHome".
    Is this a trusted one to join and collaborate and can use for sharing the information?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cityhome85

I found a Facebook group "Citywest Village New Homes" created by "NewHome NewHome". Is this a trusted one to join and collaborate and can use for sharing the information?

Can we still share info on here too?

I don't use Facebook (I know...get with the times)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

The St. Aidan's halting site development someone raised above is relevant for people considering purchasing in Citywest Village. The location you'd be living less than a 5 minute walk away from hasn't exactly been making the greatest of headlines (google).

Some have questioned exactly where this site is - please see attached. Work has already begun and will consist of 80 housing units and 5 Traveller Accommodation units.

http://imgur.com/a/6T9vP

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

5 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration, you wouldn't even get to McDonald's from the development in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

5 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration, you wouldn't even get to McDonald's from the development in 5 minutes.

Sorry, 7 minutes then :rolleyes: or about 10 seconds on the luas. It's just a stroll from Citywest Luas stop to Cheeverstown Luas stop.

I think some people here who've bought properties in Citywest Village are in denial about the surrounding area and I can understand why; buying a home is one of the biggest commitments people will make in their lives and to learn that the area you're buying in perhaps isn't what you hoped it might be is distressing in the extreme.
    I know a lot of people who showed interest at the beginning were satisfied that Citywest Village was a "safe distance" from Jobstown in particular. There are wonderful people living in estates like Ard Mor, but they will tell you that there is a serious element of antisocial behaviour which they themselves have taken the brunt of for a long time.
    Personally I wouldn't like to be in the beautifully appointed homes in Citywest Village with the antisocial element in Ard Mor a wall climb away from my house every day when I go to work (a lot of burglaries happen when home owners are at work).
    Somebody I know bought a home in a new development in Saggart a couple of years ago. A group of known criminals (mostly from Ard Mor) were regularly seen in their development and a large number of homes were burgled. Should these people have a nice new housing estate on their doorstep it would follow that a similar pattern would develop.

Citywest Village residents will need to have a very active community group and will need to be vigilant for this type of activity. CCTV systems can be bought at reasonable prices and should be fitted to all homes in Citywest Village. Deterrence is required as well as vigilance, estate agents and developers will say mass to get houses sold, the homes themselves may be very well built but the reality of the surrounding area needs to be addressed, the houses and the area are "sold as seen" anything after that is the buyers problem sadly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I used to rent in saggart and am a FTB but down in the sticks so I completely understand both sides. I want my new house to be perfect and I am so excited to get into it. But i used the red line to commute and I have to say that most of the anti social behaviour in the area centred around the citywest business campus and cheeverstown stops on the saggart spur of the line. Muggings for mobile phones were pretty common at those stops particularly after dark. I saw the houses last weekend when I was visiting my former neighbours in saggart and they are beautiful and it's a nicely planned estate but brookview and ard mhor and to a lesser extent the mcuilliam ghetto are not places I'd like to live anywhere near. I hope that the management agent that remains on after the estate will continue to provide 24 hour security and that the residents will be happy to pay for same. It's just a pity in this day and age that such a thing is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spencer33

I'll chime in here, just to say I for one can't wait to move in to citywest village, surely the antisocial behaving people will be drawn towards the shopping centre, McDonald's or topaz rather than my garden gate.

And I won't be living my life worrying will My house be broken into, sure I wouldn't leave the house if that was the case. There'll be security patrolling the estate, I may put up a camera just as an added deterrent.

I'm quite familiar with the surrounding areas, the estate agent didn't have to sell the house too hard to me, I consider mysel quite happy and very lucky to put money down on one

Spencer33 wrote: »
    I'll chime in here, just to say I for one can't wait to move in to citywest village, surely the antisocial behaving people will be drawn towards the shopping centre, McDonald's or topaz rather than my garden gate.

And I won't be living my life worrying will My house be broken into, sure I wouldn't leave the house if that was the case. There'll be security patrolling the estate, I may put up a camera just as an added deterrent.

I'm quite familiar with the surrounding areas, the estate agent didn't have to sell the house too hard to me, I consider mysel quite happy and very lucky to put money down on one

In relation to security, the security operation in Citywest protects the business park. Other developments in the area have been promised security patrols by Citywest only to see them stop months after keys were handed over. I had heard that cameras may be placed in Citywest village to be monitored by Citywest security which would be different to the situations in previous developments, however I would be speaking to the Citywest management about ensuring that privacy masking is implemented on any fully functional cameras that may be capable of seeing into windows in adjacent properties, you don't want a bored security guard watching your family in your home, and you do have rights in relation to this under data protection legislation.

Regardless of being happy about having a nice house in Citywest Village it would be prudent to acknowledge the issues in the localitiy as opposed to being caught unawares. Gangs of so called feral youth aren't as much of a problem as canny burglars who would be difficult to detect to even the most dedicated security guard particularly in light of the proximity to nearby housing estates that would provide a haven to these characters. I would have major concerns about the element which may be introduced to the area in the new rapid build area nearby in Saint Aidens an already notorious spot in the area and extremely close by the citywest village.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    In relation to security, the security operation in Citywest protects the business park. Other developments in the area have been promised security patrols by Citywest only to see them stop months after keys were handed over. I had heard that cameras may be placed in Citywest village to be monitored by Citywest security which would be different to the situations in previous developments, however I would be speaking to the Citywest management about ensuring that privacy masking is implemented on any fully functional cameras that may be capable of seeing into windows in adjacent properties, you don't want a bored security guard watching your family in your home, and you do have rights in relation to this under data protection legislation.

Regardless of being happy about having a nice house in Citywest Village it would be prudent to acknowledge the issues in the localitiy as opposed to being caught unawares. Gangs of so called feral youth aren't as much of a problem as canny burglars who would be difficult to detect to even the most dedicated security guard particularly in light of the proximity to nearby housing estates that would provide a haven to these characters. I would have major concerns about the element which may be introduced to the area in the new rapid build area nearby in Saint Aidens an already notorious spot in the area and extremely close by the citywest village.

Well I've been told I'll be paying for the security who patrol the business campus to also patrol the housing estate, money I won't mind spending once that's what they're doing. I haven't heard mention of cctv.
    Worrying about been burgaled won't stop that canny burglar coming in so I won't waste me energy, I'm afraid I just don't share your major concerns, good n bad everywhere and all that. i won't let your talk take the shine off my new home nullzero

Well I've been told I'll be paying for the security who patrol the business campus to also patrol the housing estate, money I won't mind spending once that's what they're doing. I haven't heard mention of cctv.
    Worrying about been burgaled won't stop that canny burglar coming in so I won't waste me energy, I'm afraid I just don't share your major concerns, good n bad everywhere and all that. i won't let your talk take the shine off my new home nullzero

I'm not concerned about taking the shine off of your new home. I'm just sharing relevant information. I heard discounts were offered to Gardai by the developer before construction began(they obviously wanted resident Gardai as a deterrent) and as far as I'm aware no locally serving Gardai ever entertained the idea.
    People will buy the (admittedly quite nice) houses but you also get your neighbour's when you buy a home as well as the surrounding area.
    It might be prudent to take on board what I've said as being important to you a home owner in that area as opposed to seeing it as an attempt to rain on your parade for want of a better phrase. I don't have to live there, you do, foretold is forewarned after all, how you process what I and others have told you about your surroundings is completely up to you.

Glazers Out!

I'm not concerned about taking the shine off of your new home. I'm just sharing relevant information. I heard discounts were offered to Gardai by the developer before construction began(they obviously wanted resident Gardai as a deterrent) and as far as I'm aware no locally serving Gardai ever entertained the idea.
    People will buy the (admittedly quite nice) houses but you also get your neighbour's when you buy a home as well as the surrounding area.
    It might be prudent to take on board what I've said as being important to you a home owner in that area as opposed to seeing it as an attempt to rain on your parade for want of a better phrase. I don't have to live there, you do, foretold is forewarned after all, how you process what I and others have told you about your surroundings is completely up to you.

That's the crux of it there, Your information just isn't relevant to me I guess, including the latest bit about houses offered on the cheap to the gardai....

I will agree with you on one point, people will buy, infact they'll queue up to buy,

That's the crux of it there, Your information just isn't relevant to me I guess, including the latest bit about houses offered on the cheap to the gardai....

I will agree with you on one point, people will buy, infact they'll queue up to buy,

Look that's your take on it, no need to dismissive, I wish you well in your new home, take care.

Glazers Out!

Look that's your take on it, no need to dismissive, I wish you well in your new home, take care.

Cheers. Just trying to take some of the doom n gloom out of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 nimmy89

We're in the process of finding somewhere to buy and one thing that I've noticed, there's always comments/opinions on the area and surrounding areas. We've been put off many new estates because of the fears of them being integrated with social housing estates down the line.

Thinking about it, nearly every estate has council estates right beside it including a very expensive estate in rathfarnham that directly backs onto whitechurch, and remains a nice estate. Ballycullen has a halting site right in the middle of it. The list goes on.

Our options now are to either go with houses we love and trust that the residents of the estate will all come together and ensure that the upkeep and security remains, or keep searching for this perfect place to live which probably doesn't exist without buying a property of €800k!

nimmy89 wrote: »
    We're in the process of finding somewhere to buy and one thing that I've noticed, there's always comments/opinions on the area and surrounding areas. We've been put off many new estates because of the fears of them being integrated with social housing estates down the line.

Thinking about it, nearly every estate has council estates right beside it including a very expensive estate in rathfarnham that directly backs onto whitechurch, and remains a nice estate. Ballycullen has a halting site right in the middle of it. The list goes on.

Our options now are to either go with houses we love and trust that the residents of the estate will all come together and ensure that the upkeep and security remains, or keep searching for this perfect place to live which probably doesn't exist without buying a property of €800k!

I'm familiar with the areas you've mentioned but to be fair they don't have a similar profile to the west Tallaght area. Not all areas with social housing are problem areas. The issue with the estates near to Citywest Village is the fact that a lot of problematic people from other areas have been relocated in the likes of McUilliam creating ghetto like environments.
    I'm not attempting to cast doom and gloom here but the reality is the reality. In years to come I'm sure these areas will begin to calm down as most problem areas do to some extent, the very young people creating a lot of the problems in the area grow up etc... However as things stand there are considerable issues in the area that potential buyers will not be informed of by estate agents (obviously) but should still be mindful of.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I've been a resident of this area since the early eighties when my family was one of the first to move into Rossfield estate, and everything beyond it was green fields, until you got to Saggart Village. I having watched it develop into the built up area it is now, and I can tell you that Nullzone speaks no word of a lie.

I have since bought my own house in a private development very close to Jobstown, and have lived there for over 20 years without my car or home being broken into yet, so its not all bad. Lots of good too.

The site at St Aidens is a stones throw from Citywest Village. I was up there today and for the craic I timed how long it took to drive from the site at St Aidens to Citywest Village. It took me 54 seconds at 50km per hour. Its less then a ten minute, straight walk.

Would love to see less negative posts also.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion although they aren't always constructive well at least for those who have bought.

I'm sure people who have purchased in Citywest Village so far are fully aware of the area and potential risks etc

There is always someone who has to rain on the parade and go out of their way to do so.

I'm looking forward to meeting my neighbours and moving in regardless.

cityhome85 wrote: »
    Would love to see less negative posts also.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion although they aren't always constructive well at least for those who have bought.

I'm sure people who have purchased in Citywest Village so far are fully aware of the area and potential risks etc

There is always someone who has to rain on the parade and go out of their way to do so.

I'm looking forward to meeting my neighbours and moving in regardless.

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭New Home Help

Hi all, is there anything to discuss with our Solicitor / look out for on Contract when we are signing??

Also I can't seem to find that group on Facebook - Can I suggest that when there is one being set up that it is only used for actual purchasers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I don't think anyone is attempting to rain on anyone's parade, just being honest about the general area. I wish you all the best in your new homes, and hope you'll be very happy there as I am.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but in all fairness, I think the views of those who already live in the area and have done for many years, holds a little more weight then the opinions of those who haven't.

I know the area so personally not looking for any feedback. I wouldn't have bought a house here otherwise.

I was only hoping to see more positive posts instead of people inciting dread and worries upon new homeowners. If you have no interest in buying or living in Citywest Village then I just don't understand the concern.

I know for myself being able to have a home in Dublin in today's market is lucky.

It was in no way directed at you Aulwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I for one really appreciate the warnings and risks involved and talking about the problems that could arise.

I am worried myself. Im looking to get one next phase and im actually a bit concerned being so close to the luas stop in the negative way here. It may make me think to be picky if I do want to buy here. I am also very concerned about the security; I see us being promised the sun and it disappearing within a year or two. Im particularly concerned for the large green area, which could become a hotbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MacRaph

Hi guys, Has anyone set up a FB group for future residents yet?

Advertisement