Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

I'd be surprised if RK is on the Lions standby list. Liam Williams was selected as a winger but is an established fullback who can play there if needed. Watson and Nowell cover 15 too I think.

At the very least he's one of the players that has signed the requisite documentation to join the Lions tour along with a couple of other players at Leinster (not sure about the other provinces).

He may not be next in line, but he is on the formal shortlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Used by people to explain inclusion of McFadden in squads mainly

Aaaaaand we're back to McFadden. My "I don't want to make this about specific players" thing worked then.

But yeah, it is.

It's used by people who wanted other players to be picked to explain to themselves why McFadden got the call up so they don't have to face the facts that the player they're pimping isn't good enough.

but going back to your previous post. You said
    This is the perfect time to use those players who are familiar with the Irish set up but haven't got opportunity to play

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Can't really accept this.

Which is neither here nor there. The coaching team appear to have complete confidence in the likes of Earls and Zebo on the wings as well as Payne and RK at full back.

They will seek to develop one, maybe two more options for the wing before the next RWC and supplement them with what they already have (Gilroy, DK etc.) to give them about 6 or 7 lads they're going to work with towards the RWC.

I'd be very happy to see Sweetnam, Byrne and Stockdale all travel but I don't see it happening.

At somewhere like lock we have Toner and Henderson. After that we have Dillane (1 start), Roux (1 start) etc. If we pick up an injury, we're very quickly into a sticky situation without developing people in the very near future. I'd say we're in a similar situation at outhalf.

Aaaaaand we're back to McFadden. My "I don't want to make this about specific players" thing worked then.

But yeah, it is.

It's used by people who wanted other players to be picked to explain to themselves why McFadden got the call up so they don't have to face the facts that the player they're pimping isn't good enough.

McFadden is actually a good example though. The biggest outrage I saw against McFadden was when he was picked ahead of McCloskey for the Italy game last year.

But now one of those two players is starting in a European semi-final and the other isn't even first choice for his province in the pro12.

It really highlights that forum opinions can be way off but also that consistency of performance is something only some players have and something that coaches value.

Sweetnam, Stockdale and Adam Byrne aren't good enough?

To use Buer's point:
    Buer wrote: »
    Which is neither here nor there. The coaching team appear to have complete confidence in the likes of Earls and Zebo on the wings as well as Payne and RK at full back.

I can't speak for Stockdale, but I've seen Adam Byrne and Sweetnam go missing in games completely and switch off at times defensively.

They can mix it up really well but they aren't consistent like the players Buer mentioned who always show up and do a job, especially at top international level.

People tend to look at one aspect of a players game without acknowledging everything about what they do and importantly don't do.

It comes down to this, do you want a 7/10 player who is always 100% or a 9/10 player who some times gives 60% performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Venjur wrote: »
    McFadden is actually a good example though. The biggest outrage I saw against McFadden was when he was picked ahead of McCloskey for the Italy game last year.

But now one of those two players is starting in a European semi-final and the other isn't even first choice for his province in the pro12.

It really highlights that forum opinions can be way off but also that consistency of performance is something only some players have and something that coaches value.

Our opinions can be miles off. Had a chat with someone involved with one of our provinces last weekend in Edinburgh and I asked about a fan favourite who is often overlooked (won't say who or it might be seen as me having a dig, despite me being a fan of him) and the guy was very surprised that I thought he was close to international level. Despite fans often expressing shock that this guy isn't in squads. I think there's a very surprising amount of divergence between us and the guys making the calls at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭KBurke85

6 nations fixtures out for the next 2 seasons. Away to France game one 2018 and away to England final game 2018.

Home to England game one 2019 and away to Wales final game in 2019

KBurke85 wrote: »
    6 nations fixtures out for the next 2 seasons. Away to France game one 2018 and away to England final game 2018.

Home to England game one 2019 and away to Wales final game in 2019

That's tough all around.

I was speaking to a mate a few weeks back and I think we should look to really develop depth in any weak areas next six nations and then aim to win in 2019 at all costs. Go into the RWC with a six nations or slam under our belts would be just what the doctor ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

That's tough all around.

I was speaking to a mate a few weeks back and I think we should look to really develop depth in any weak areas next six nations and then aim to win in 2019 at all costs. Go into the RWC with a six nations or slam under our belts would be just what the doctor ordered.

Hang on, hang on!...I just want to clear this up..... you have a mate?!!!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

That's tough all around.

There is no question. We absolutely need to produce more options and competition in our back 3, second rows and hooker. anything else is denial and batsh*t crazy.

I don't blame Schmidt entirely. AS someone suggested the lions standby guys will be given guarantees just as central contract gives you certain guarantees. If we see the usual i blame Schmidt, Nucifora AND the IRFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The squad is announced today

Niallof9 wrote: »
    There is no question. We absolutely need to produce more options and competition in our back 3, second rows and hooker. anything else is denial and batsh*t crazy.

I don't blame Schmidt entirely. AS someone suggested the lions standby guys will be given guarantees just as central contract gives you certain guarantees. If we see the usual i blame Schmidt, Nucifora AND the IRFU.

I blame Schmidt entirely. Like, we've only capped five different hookers in the last 12 months. What's he playing at? Only seven second rows and a measly eleven different players in the back three.

hashtag joeout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's tough all around.

Well, regardless of that the IRFU will, as always, prioritize doing as well as possible in the 6N. Not that I think developing depth and making a run at the 6N are necessarily mutually exclusive - but the best team is going to be put out every game.

Porter, Ryan, Treadwell and Heffernan all in as the uncapped forwards....awaiting backs!

Means no space for Molony anyway but his time will come.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Hang on, hang on!...I just want to clear this up..... you have a mate?!!!

:D

33975894.jpg

Heffernan, Porter, Treadwell, James Ryan in

Its really mad that Ryan is in the squad. Really interested to hear Joe's input on that and what they're expecting from him.

reland Squad Summer Tour 2017 - USA & Japan

Forwards
    Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
    Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 1 cap
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 67 caps
    Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers)*
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 17 caps
    Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
    Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster) 1 cap
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)*
    Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 13 caps
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster)*
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 6 caps
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 4 caps
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 47 caps
    James Tracy (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Kieran Treadwell (Ballymena/Ulster)*
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 7 caps

Backs
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 3 caps
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 1 cap
    John Cooney (Connacht)*
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 59 caps
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 23 caps
    Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 13 caps
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster) 9 caps
    Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
    Tiernan O'Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
    Rory O'Loughlin (Old Belvedere/Leinster)*
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 8 caps
    Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)*
    Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 33 caps

Stockdale, ROL, Cooney, Rory Scannell in

Uncapped backs: ROL, Stockdale, Cooney and Scannell. No places for Sweetnam or Byrne.

Very experimental squad with a large dash of experience. Great squad to see.

• Advertisement

Hasn't played in the pro12. Brought into the Ireland set up by the most conservative coach Ireland has ever had.

Squad
    Ireland Squad Summer Tour 2017 – USA & Japan

Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 3 caps
    Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 1 cap
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 1 cap
    John Cooney (Connacht) uncapped
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 59 caps
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 67 caps
    Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) uncapped
    Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 23 caps
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 17 caps
    Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 13 caps
    Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster) 9 caps
    Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
    Tommy O’Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
    Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster) 1 cap
    Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
    Rory O’Loughlin (Old Belvedere/Leinster) uncapped
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) uncapped
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 8 caps
    Rhys Ruddock (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 13 caps
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) uncapped
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 6 caps
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 4 caps
    Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) uncapped
    Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) uncapped
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 47 caps
    James Tracey (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Kieran Treadwell (Ballymena/Ulster) uncapped
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 7 caps
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 33 caps

Wow, did NOT see that coming.

Trimble the biggest omission. Sean Cronin too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is O'Loughlin in as a centre? Surprised he's there ahead of Byrne otherwise.

Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good squad, can't complain about that.

Yet...

Delighted with that really.

I think they've got that absolutely bang on. Very green squad, particularly in the backs.

Jackson is going to need to really step up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harsh on Byrne, I wonder what is is that Joe thinks he needs to work on. He has the attacking game to match or better any of our outside backs. Delighted for RoL, Stockdale and Ryan. Porter too. They must have high hopes for himself and Ryan if they're bringing both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Big congrats to Dave Heffernan, he has really been showing huge potential since his conversion to hooker from back row. Great work rate around the pitch and a hard ball carrier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement