Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yes, Michael Bent.

Buer should be sacked

Professional bullsh*t merchant doesn't pay as well as you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Are these matches going to be shown on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kind of tough on Sweetnam losing out - he's been great all season

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clegg wrote: »
    Basically so long and thanks for everything, Donnacha. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't made the squad tbh.

Why? It's the only leverage the IRFU have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

phog wrote: »

As others have said, the versatility factor has almost certainly come into play there. ROL and Conway cover multiple positions and so get the nod ahead of Sweetnam. A real lack of outside centres is an issue too. If Ringrose does end up getting a call up to the Lions we'll have to choose between Marshall and ROL. There really isn't anyone else that could have been called up to fill that spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well Ulster will have an Irish International scrum half now..

phog wrote: »

As I said beforehand, they were never going to take all the young wingers. They've gone with Stockdale and are consolidating the guys they already have. They've only really picked Zebo, Earls, Conway and Stockdale for the wings so I imagine they're putting their faith in developing Stockdale to a high standard and giving him significant game time on the tour.

Sweetnam and Byrne might get a shot in the autumn but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stockdale would be the guy I'd take as well. He's a huge talent.

I'm very excited to see him go. Reckon he could be in the Irish 23 in November.

Yeah, that is an interesting line.

It's not an Ulster player anyway, as they're not playing this weekend. You'd assume its someone like Heaslip or Kearney who are touch and go with fitness.

Has Donnchadh Ryan been confirmed as leaving? Maybe he hasn't made up his mind yet and has a deadline looming.

If he stays he is named captain and travels. If he leaves we'll pick a different second row. Ruddock can provide cover but realistically we are only travelling with 3 locks so no real rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

31 players in total.
    8 uncapped players.
    22 players with less than 10 caps.
    18 players aged 25 or younger.
    Oldest player aged 30.

Very happy with that squad profile.

• Advertisement

I'd say they were late enough making the call and there were a few close decisions. Stockdale still didn't know on Sunday evening.

But Stockdale would absolutely be the one I'd bring. He has the physical attributes to go all the way and is a few years younger than Byrne and Sweetnam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Are these matches going to be shown on TV?

Yes, sky sports

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

An additional player to be added.

Well it's obvious who it must be.

?width=630&version=2340262

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say they were late enough making the call and there were a few close decisions. Stockdale still didn't know on Sunday evening.

But Stockdale would absolutely be the one I'd bring. He has the physical attributes to go all the way and is a few years younger than Byrne and Sweetnam.

Undoubtedly. He'd have to be top of the pile from the young lads. Superb talent. I'm excited to see how he goes over the next season or so.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Delighted for ROL and Rory Scannell

i suggest ROL is going as an outside back, as there are only 5 recognizable back 3 players travelling (suggesting a later call up for R Kearney if hes match fit?)

Very happy with the squad in general
    31 players, 8 uncapped, 14 with less than 10 caps.

An additional player to be added.

I'd say he spilled the ball a second after the photo was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Of all the newbie backs I would've brought stockdale was at the top of my list... but I am surprised adam Byrne wasn't picked, Schmidt is a fan and Byrne has progressed massively this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I'd say he spilled the ball a second after the photo was taken.

I will end you.

Considering Cronin, Kearney and Heaslip are all injured, is Trimble the only first teamer who is excluded?

.ak wrote: »
    Of all the newbie backs I would've brought stockdale was at the top of my list... but I am surprised adam Byrne wasn't picked, Schmidt is a fan and Byrne has progressed massively this season.

Yeah. He could end up being the Leinster equivalent of Gilroy.

Looks great at Pro12 level and non knockout European rugby but doesn't have the all around game to break through to International level.

Or maybe he just needs another season under his belt.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Considering Cronin, Kearney and Heaslip are all injured, is Trimble the only first teamer who is excluded?

depends on what you mean as 1st teamer

Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy are the big loosers, if comparing to the 6 nations squad. Their future in green might just be in the rear view mirror.

Trimble, i doubt, hes been given the summer off imo.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    depends on what you mean as 1st teamer

Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy are the big loosers, if comparing to the 6 nations squad. Their future in green might just be in the rear view mirror.

Trimble, i doubt, hes been given the summer off imo.
    Marshall is in the squad.

Agree on Gilroy, doesn't look like he's going to make it. Probably not a surprise at this stage really.

Yeah. He could end up being the Leinster equivalent of Gilroy.

Looks great at Pro12 level and non knockout European rugby but doesn't have the all around game to break through to International level.

Or maybe he just needs another season under his belt.

Don't see that myself. He's got work ons but he already has all the attributes to play international footy. Schmidt is a stickler for detail so maybe there's a bit more he needs work on. Personally I would've brought him over Conway; as much of a fan as I am of Conway I don't see him having an international career, he's too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Donnacha Ryan as well.

He's off to France but I thought he would've been selected for the tour at least.

.ak wrote: »

Is Schmidt a fan?

Today's announcement would indicate otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I'm very excited to see him go. Reckon he could be in the Irish 23 in November.

Calm down, he hasn't been that good. The high standards you hold to Byrne should be applied to him too.

Alas Adam Byrne can't do much more really. Sweetnam had the injury so he shouldn't feel too bad. Exciting times ahead.

A pack of Healy/McGrath Scannell Furlong/Porter, Ryan and Henderson, Leavy Stander/Heaslip/Conan SOB/VDF is the stuff of dreams. Murray, Sexton Henshaw, Ringrose, Conway, Stockdale/ Byrne and Zebo/Payne is possibly our most potent in years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clegg wrote: »
    Donnacha Ryan as well.

He's off to France but I thought he would've been selected for the tour at least.

Well, no real point selecting someone for this tour if they're not in the plan for the next two years surely?

Is Schmidt a fan?

I wouldn't take it as a clear indiciation, like I said he's a stickler for detail but Schmidt gave Byrne a game with the seniors before he went into the academy, so I think it's fair to say he's a fan.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Calm down, he hasn't been that good.

He has shown he very much can be though. The guy looks made for senior rugby already and has looked really good a few times in a poor Ulster side. It's still really early days for him, but as it stands there's no reason he can't go on to be a massive talent at Test level reasonably soon.

• Advertisement

Is Schmidt a fan?

He gave him his first appearance at a very young age but, that aside, there's little enough to suggest that Schmidt is a massive fan to my knowledge.

The worst thing that ever happened to Byrne was getting that appearance. There has been a steady hype train behind him whenever he has been involved ever since. I recall people being taken aback at how poor he was at U20 level in the JWC.

He'll be capped some day but I don't see him as being a long term international player for Ireland. But that can change. Andrew Trimble wasn't even included in Schmidt's first training squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement