Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace Park Wood Development, Drumcondra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As far as I'm aware it's the same in the Kilternan development: They have 2 apartment blocks in the front that are for social housing purposes.
    10% of every new development will be bought by the council for social housing, Grace Park is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

In Grace Park would it be the entire block(s) as was Hazelbrook Square in Churchtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

LirW wrote: »
    10% of every new development will be bought by the council for social housing, Grace Park is no exception.
    The mandatory 10% isn't bought by the council is it?
    The developer has to provide it right? So the working people pay for it really, its factored into the price of your house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Honestly I'm not 100% sure but no matter how it is, in every new development in Dublin there must be social housing units provided, at least 10% of the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sphinx501

Any development granted planning after Sept 2015 over 10 units must provide 10% social housing for use of the local council. Before this date the developer had the option to buy out of providing social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The mandatory 10% isn't bought by the council is it?
    The developer has to provide it right? So the working people pay for it really, its factored into the price of your house

Yes, they are bought by the council for cost price plus a very low margin of profit for the developer.

I've been involved in the hand over of part 5 housing allocations but at that time it was 20% of the units. Now it's only 10%.

So no. Not factored into the working people, they are paid,for by the council.

Lol, of course that still pushes up the price for the working Joe. Having to sell 10% close to cost means the developer will need a bigger margin on the rest. Back to economics school.

Lol, of course that still pushes up the price for the working Joe. Having to sell 10% close to cost means the developer will need a bigger margin on the rest. Back to economics school.

LOL
    deal with it. Social integration will be part of this development, and every other development. Just because they are priced as if they are clontarf doesn't mean social units won't be present. This is still a large development, density maxed out to development plan standards and built for a profit by the builder.
    I've been in every house in Grace Park, before, during and on completion so I know which one is buy (if any).

Your comment about the developer have to hand over the units for free was incorrect. I addressed that false statement, that is all. Now back to charm school for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fada70

I've been house-hunting for 3 years, went thru numerous bidding and "bidding" wars, spent years searching about the area/building/locality. Now, I paid the deposit (knowing there were no ghost bidders, rising damp, non-existing sinking funds, fire-traps, strange cracks in the walls, etc.). I know the house is overvalued for cca 200K (I am still sourcing funds and negotiating with banks) and that Richmond Rd is a far cry from the sea views of Clontarf. I am 100% pro social integration, a bit worried that the allocated units are not distributed (we all know the history of isolated pockets of social housing)... I am too aware of the OECD opinion, problems in the construction industry, warnings we read in the papers... A further year of renting while waiting for the house does not help....
    The people who put deposits on 3-beds and whom I met at the viewings subsequently seemed to share my experiences/worries.  
    I know nothing about the building quality of the houses. If you do kceire, please share.

kceire wrote: »
    Your comment about the developer have to hand over the units for free was incorrect. I addressed that false statement, that is all. Now back to charm school for you.
    That's why I didn't state it as fact but asked the question. It was an incorrect assumption I'll admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

How do the council decide who on the list gets to live in the "nicer" stock? Political connections or just those who make a tonne of noise? Let's face it, a social house here versus some of the less salubrious parts of town are not one of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Carey8123

I signed up for a house at the launch - I wasn't considering an attic conversion but had noted the option for an extension to the rear.  As for social housing, I was told by Savills that the allocation hadn't been determined but they said none of the houses in the first phase were to be allocated to that purpose.  I agree with the earlier comment that a spread through the development would be good - it would be annoying to have paid the 35k extra for end of terrace near to the apartment block and now find that they are all to be allocated in that way.
    Separately, for anyone else who has bought, what has your experience been with the Developer/Savills?  Any questions/requests I made are being either ignored (manhole cover in the backgarden?) or dismissed (changing to a shower in the main bathroom).  I can appreciate all builders want to minimise changes and it is a sellers market but the utter inflexibility is still amazing.  I have friends in other countries (equally hot prices) buying new houses/apartments and the builders are willing to make some changes for free (location of power supply, tv point, etc.) and others for additional cost (additional tiling / light fixtures).  For any other buyers, what has been your experience with the developer/agent?

I asked for a few changes, offering to cover full cost, all requests refused point-blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭CFC007

I've a bought house from the same builder in a different development and absolutely no modifications were allowed. Pretty annoying all the same. Still waiting for the house to be finished so can't comment on the quality of finish.

Fada70 wrote: »
    I asked for a few changes, offering to cover full cost, all requests refused point-blank.
    CFC007 wrote: »
    I've a bought house from the same builder in a different development and absolutely no modifications were allowed. Pretty annoying all the same. Still waiting for the house to be finished so can't comment on the quality of finish.

things have tightened up with the new Building Control Amendment Regulations. If the builder makes changes, the Assigned certifier doesn't sign off as compliant.

Changes can be made by the home owner after hand over is the only option. Its pretty much like this on most sites now a days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Househunter30

I too asked about putting a shower in main bathroom and was told no. I assumed there'd be some way round this but to be paying a large amount for a house with a shower head only in bathroom seems crazy. Have asked Savills several times to provide information about social housing and they have yet to get back to me. Don't like the idea of social housing lumped together in 2 apartment blocks either!!!

@kceire: Would the building regulations also mean that they could not leave the bathroom un-tiled / unfinished?  Bad enough having to organise someone to instal a shower, I really don't want to have to pay to rip out a bath which has just been installed.  Separately, I was told that with the seals on a high energy efficient house, adding plugs and moving TV points afterwards would (without alot of work) breach the seals and reduce the rating.  If that is the case, the developer's refusal is particularly egregious. 

@ Househunter30: I agree re the shower head.  You can't even use the bath as a shower given the central location of the taps and the sloped sides on the bath.

Does anyone know anything about the imposed management company? Any indication re the management fees? I viewed a house in a similar development, the mgm fee was 1980 Euro/year.

Does anyone know anything about the imposed management company? Any indication re the management fees? I viewed a house in a similar development, the mgm fee was 1980 Euro/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

Fada70 wrote:

Savills estimate was 450/550/650 for a 3/4/5 bed house.

• Advertisement

Carey8123 wrote: »
    @kceire: Would the building regulations also mean that they could not leave the bathroom un-tiled / unfinished?  Bad enough having to organise someone to instal a shower, I really don't want to have to pay to rip out a bath which has just been installed.  Separately, I was told that with the seals on a high energy efficient house, adding plugs and moving TV points afterwards would (without alot of work) breach the seals and reduce the rating.  If that is the case, the developer's refusal is particularly egregious. 

@ Househunter30: I agree re the shower head.  You can't even use the bath as a shower given the central location of the taps and the sloped sides on the bath.

From a building regulation point of view, no he could leave the bathroom at first fix level and let you kit it out. It's a PITA that they won't allow alterations but I can see why they don't, as they then have to micromanage each house and each buyers particular set of alterations.

Adding plugs, tv points etc can effect the air tightness membrane behind he plasterboard unless you are really careful. I'll root out some pics on Monday to show its position.

For the three beds it is 575. It includes bins, maintenance of the extensive green areas and public liability insurance. I think it goes up to circa 800 for the 5 beds. The apartments are around 1700.

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]Can a singlestorey extension to the rear of the house of 35 square metres  (leaving 25 square metres of garden) be built without the estate management company permission?[/font]

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]Can a singlestorey extension to the rear of the house of 35 square metres  (leaving 25 square metres of garden) be built without the estate management company permission?[/font]

It depends on the parent Planning Application.
        Normally it would be exempted development, but in many new estates where density is already at the max, there will be a condition that de-exempts the exemptions.

It would appear that this development doesn't carry this condition, but you'd have to satisfy yourself that its ok, or engage someone to advise.

Plan Ref is 2991/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eternal31

Anyone knows there is a new development called clay farm in leopardstown? How do you think of it compared with Grace park wood. Which is better?

I think houses of two developments would be similar, including the price range. The main factor that impacts would be areas they are located. I'm not familiar with Drumcondra and Leopardstown both areas. Can someone give me some advice on it please?

anyone knows any news about next launch time?
        Is there any good school (creche, primary, middle school) near this area?

[font=arial, sans-serif]I do not know much about first/second level educational institutions in the area. I have great experience with DCU and St Pat's tho. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Has anyone received GPW contract? A[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] pre-contract letter arrived a while ago, nothing since...[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I do not know much about first/second level educational institutions in the area. I have great experience with DCU and St Pat's tho. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Has anyone received GPW contract? A[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] pre-contract letter arrived a while ago, nothing since...[/font]
        My solicitor received the contract from the developer's solicitor, Byrne Wallace, in mid/late July and I have signed my contract and paid the additional balance to hit the 10% marker.  November is given as the target month for completion of my house so perhaps the contracts are staggered based on expected time of completion.  Also, the documents make various references to the approach where additional work is agreed to by the developer and purchaser - perhaps this implies there will be a more flexible approach on requests after contract signature.

Can anyone recommend a solicitor to buy a house please?

• Advertisement

Carey8123 wrote: »

My solicitor received the contract from the developer's solicitor, Byrne Wallace, in mid/late July and I have signed my contract and paid the additional balance to hit the 10% marker.  November is given as the target month for completion of my house so perhaps the contracts are staggered based on expected time of completion.  Also, the documents make various references to the approach where additional work is agreed to by the developer and purchaser - perhaps this implies there will be a more flexible approach on requests after contract signature.
        Congratulations! The three months will fly by. 
        Great news re possible changes/additional work.

Advertisement