Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Local authority SEO competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Six of One wrote: »
    What is the process now, usually? Supervised test in the PAS office on abbey st, then review application, then interview is that it?

That's my understanding, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Decinho

Got through! I think from the pass mark set there will be a lot getting through to supervised tests.

I wonder will we be called in batches for supervised tests based on how we scored.

Yeah that's how I would expect it to be done but weirdly they didn't rank us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Failed the management scenario test, passed everything else. Feck It!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Failed the management scenario test, passed everything else. Feck It!

Hard luck, it's a tough one and I always think a subjective topic. In the others you are either right or wrong, but there is seldom such a clear cut approach in the management section. I also find that a private industry vs public sector mindset can be quite different. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Monday 28th August here we go.
    A re-test of the Verbal Reasoning & Numerical Reasoning Tests.
    So no management assessment then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Riverstown1

Well done everyone!! I too got an email today for the supervised assessment. Would anyone know of a practice link for these assessments. Its the first time I've done anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I wonder is everyone who passed the qualifying score getting called to Stage 2 supervised test?

I wonder is everyone who passed the qualifying score getting called to Stage 2 supervised test?

Yes, they are.

Well done everyone!! I too got an email today for the supervised assessment. Would anyone know of a practice link for these assessments. Its the first time I've done anything like this.

They'll be exactly the same format as the unsupervised. Possibly even the same questions (or questions from the same set of questions, if that makes sense).

Does anyone happen to know the criteria for not getting kicked out after the unsupervised tests?

For the APO, you couldn't score more than 10% or 15% lower or higher than in the unsupervised. Lower I can understand, obviously, but not letting people improve too much seems bizarre and perverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Does anyone happen to know the criteria for not getting kicked out after the unsupervised tests?

For the APO, you couldn't score more than 10% or 15% lower or higher than in the unsupervised. Lower I can understand, obviously, but not letting people improve too much seems bizarre and perverse.

Its 15% and its the same for this too i'd say!

Does anyone know whether the order of merit positions will be done on verbal and management as the APO and most PAS comps are? Or are they including numerical? No management verification is odd.

Got my appointment. Keep hitting that redial button!

No issues getting an appointment, I say it rang for about 2 minutes.

Six slots a day available over week & half.

No issues getting an appointment, I say it rang for about 2 minutes.

Six slots a day available over week & half.

40-ish ppl per slot, 240/day... 1900-ish people! Jebus!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Decinho

40-ish ppl per slot, 240/day... 1900-ish people! Jebus!

That is ridiculous!!!! So say 1700 get through, they aren't going to interview 1700 surely. It could be an absolute waste of time going up and doing these tests as they never ranked us to give us an idea where we came.

Decinho wrote: »
    That is ridiculous!!!! So say 1700 get through, they aren't going to interview 1700 surely. It could be an absolute waste of time going up and doing these tests as they never ranked us to give us an idea where we came.

Those figures include the other competitions running in tandem with the SEO competition for Public Service. We are all sitting the same test.

From memory
    Senior Planner
    Senior Executive Planner
    Senior Engineer
    Senior Executive Engineer

I would think that there is approx 1,000 through nationally for SEO with the remainder spread across the 4 other competitions.

Yep, five different competitions, and apparently it's only five sessions a day, not six.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 GryffLion

Session booked. Best of luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Just received some feedback on the online tests. Helps to at least estimate how the results compare to others. Very pleased with my verbal and the others were reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

Do you think the average score is the average of all 5 competitions (seo,sp,se,sep,see) or just the average of the one competition i applied for? The average for numerical is high on my feedback sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MurfballEng

so for stage two are we required to stay within the bands that we scored in? what happens if we score better second time around?

so for stage two are we required to stay within the bands that we scored in? what happens if we score better second time around?

That's a good question. They kicked people out of the APO competition for scoring too well in the supervised tests compared to the unsupervised, which makes not a lick of sense. I might phone them and see what's said...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

That's a good question. They kicked people out of the APO competition for scoring too well in the supervised tests compared to the unsupervised, which makes not a lick of sense. I might phone them and see what's said...

I'm not sure that's correct. I know of one person in AP competition who scored more than 15% worse who was then excluded. (I think they successfully appealed that as their "bad" score was still extremely high)

I scored quite a bit better in each category and I definitely wasn't kicked out! I think the pressure of the supervised test combined with the fact that I practised even more meant I performed very well on the day.

Good luck to you all.

dee75 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's correct. I know of one person in AP competition who scored more than 15% worse who was then excluded. (I think they successfully appealed that as their "bad" score was still extremely high)

I scored quite a bit better in each category and I definitely wasn't kicked out! I think the pressure of the supervised test combined with the fact that I practised even more meant I performed very well on the day.

Good luck to you all.

It is correct, unfortunately.

Kicking people out because they performed worse in the supervised than the unsupervised at least has a logical reason behind it (the assumption being they had help or someone else did the test for them in the unsupervised).

But in the AP competition before last (2015, I think), I worked with someone who just scraped through the unsupervised, so they did practice tests and improved by more than 15% in the supervised, and were excluded as a result. Unfortunately, they didn't pursue it.

Yup, spoke to PAS, there's "an expected range of scores" you need to get between your original scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MurfballEng

Yup, spoke to PAS, there's "an expected range of scores" you need to get between your original scores.

thank you for checking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

was going to take the day off to attend the session but i wonder if it is just a re-test of the numerical and verbal reasoning tests - is there any need to dress formally for this stage

was going to take the day off to attend the session but i wonder if it is just a re-test of the numerical and verbal reasoning tests - is there any need to dress formally for this stage

It is just a re-test. Two twelve-minute tests but remember sign-in and faffing about reading instructions, too. About an hour in total, give or take. I've a late test so just going to leave work early, no point losing a day's leave.

No need at all to dress formally - dress for comfort.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No need at all to dress formally - dress for comfort.

Dress as you normally would for work

• Advertisement

"Dress as you normally would for work"

I'm a performer in a burlesque show...

Advertisement