Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aughamore in Clane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

Hi Folks,

We are thinking of moving the shower fittings to the left hand side as opposed to facing the shower door. Reason being, we are afraid when shower is on, that water will splash out onto the bathroom floor. Has anyone experienced any problems in this department? or does it all operate without issues...

Also would anyone have the measurements in terms of width and length of the shower tray?

Thanks all

I changed the shower fitting to one which has both a rainfall shower as well as the standard shower head. It was the same style as the original fitting just with the extra section. Apart from that I made no changes to the layout in the showers.

I haven't had any issues in terms of the water coming out the door, I normally would turn the shower on and if I'm using the normal shower head I'd face it away from the door opening until I get in and have the door closed.

I think it's better in the position it is personally as putting it the other way would narrow your area as you stand.

Have a look on the heatwise website and they should have the different types of finishes available to you. If you do decide to move away from the standard one you will need to update the plumber too incase of different fittings.

From what I remember from sorting the doors the shower trays were 1100mm and 1200mm (attic room). I'm not sure of the full depth. Again the heatwise team would be able tell you for definite if needed. You will need to purchase the shower doors yourself as they don't come standard and if you want the plumber to fit you are looking around €150 approx. (Attic room shower door)

Another tip is I had them for pipes for a shower in the bathroom. They are behind the wall and at the moment not in use but if I ever wanted to put a shower in the or add on its a much smaller job with the pipes there in the wall. The plumber will be able sort this but you need to get to them at 1st fix stage.

Let me know if you need any more details or advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charlesmarls

perfect, thanks Daithi!

Hi folks,

Would anyone know the total cost of the alcoves/recess for the 3 bathrooms?

Including spotlights.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Would anyone know the total cost of the alcoves/recess for the 3 bathrooms?

Including spotlights.

Thanks!

Its something I thought about doing but was too late by the time I did. You would probably need to work out a price with PJ (Carpenter), George (Electrician) and Tony (Tiler) for the work and depending on how far along you are in the process it might be too late to have it done or at least to have the lights in it.

It shouldn't cost too much extra for the tiling and PJ is very reasonable with the carpentry side of things, the only one you'd have to keep an eye on the electrician :rolleyes:

Someone else here might have had it done and be able to advise you on an actual cost.

On a side note, there are few people who have noticed things like additional TV points which they requested and paid for were forgotten about, so it's worth popping down to site to double check any extras you have requested have been done. Seems to be a communication issue when it comes to the extras.

If you need any of the number let me know and I can PM them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wickedelphie66

Do you mean the shelves built into the shower areas? If so, we asked about it and we were told they are not doing it for anyone any more as there were too many issues between tiler, electrician and carpenter. Tony told us this morning that there was a cost element as tiles were breaking as the area is difficult to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

daithilfc wrote: »
    On a side note, there are few people who have noticed things like additional TV points which they requested and paid for were forgotten about, so it's worth popping down to site to double check any extras you have requested have been done. Seems to be a communication issue when it comes to the extras.

I'm one of these people. The electrician was supposed to put in an extra TV point in the sitting room for us and we only noticed after the flooring went down that he hadn't done it. There might be a way to get it in now, but it's proving to be pretty awkward. It's not a massive deal (we would just prefer to have the option of having the TV by the window or by the kitchen) but just a bit frustrating that it wasn't done and we only noticed when it was too late.

Definitely a lesson learned to be more on top of checking things throughout the build!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celene M

Hi everyone,doing a bit of research for my mam n dad,just put a deposit on a 3 bed in phase 2 ,and looking for recommendations for suppliers for local ..wooden floors,tiles ,blinds ,furniture ect,also does anyone no if builder will allow floors to b fitted r wall repainted before close of sale, many thanks, celene

Celene M wrote: »
    Hi everyone,doing a bit of research for my mam n dad,just put a deposit on a 3 bed in phase 2 ,and looking for recommendations for suppliers for local ..wooden floors,tiles ,blinds ,furniture ect,also does anyone no if builder will allow floors to b fitted r wall repainted before close of sale, many thanks, celene

Hi Celene,

Congratulations to your parents on putting down the deposit on the 3 bed.

They must be one which is already built now and won't be too much of a delay for them to move in helpfully.

The standard tiles come from Nationwide tiles in Naas, you have an allowance and can go in to make your selection there for what you'd like. You can change any of the standard tiles if you like.The tiles are at trade price so great value too.

If you decide you'd like to go elsewhere for tiles you'll have to let the builder know so the allowance can be used towards that (not sure if they just take it off the final price or give you the money)

Any additional tiling outside the standard will come at a cost which needs to be worked out with the tiler. He is reasonable and easy to deal with.

Flooring I went with TC Matthews in lucan which I would recommend but I know a few have gone with Kildare flooring I think and have had good experience too. (this was mentioned a few post back I think)

If you are getting carpets in you will need to have the doors trimmed down. The carpenter onsite or the ones doing your wooden floor can do this at an extra cost

Regarding painting. Again you can work it out with the painters onside if you'd like different paint or colours to be used. Again at an extra cost.

Blinds wise I used dunariblinds.ie and would highly recommend them.

Furniture wise is a mixed bag but Michael Murphy seems to have a great selection and are based in Kildare too. We got a couple things off them but some from a few different places.

The builder will let you fit flooring before the handover but you'd want to leave this as late as possible to prevent any damage to the non tiled floors during the snagging and completion as they would be your own responsibility.

If you need any of the contact numbers let me know and I can PM them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Celene M

Thankyou so much for all your information,this has been extremely helpful,yes the house is built and tiled already but its great to know they can get the floors down before hand .thank u again ,celene

Thankyou so much for all your information,this has been extremely helpful,yes the house is built and tiled already but its great to know they can get the floors down before hand .thank u again ,celene

Great news. Hopefully they will be in soon.

No problem, only happy to give any advise or help I can. I remember being at that stage too and trying to think of everything. It's stuff you don't think about until after it's too late which are the annoying parts.

Make sure you have a read back through the fill thread. Some very helpful advice and suggestions have been given which should help too and make you aware of things you need to check or might like to change if it's not too late.

As I said, any help you need feel free to ask.

*Edit - just saw Micheal Murphy have a double discount deal ah the moment which might be helpful for your parents. They also have an outlet store which is great value

https://www.michaelmurphy.ie/double-discounts-products/

• Advertisement

Hi Celene,

Just wanted to add to what Daithilfc has said.

1. Nationwide tiles have been fantastic to deal with. We changed all the tiles and the quote was really reasonable with both Nationwide and the tiler Tony. Our tiles were put down this week and we had to get PJ the carpenter to remove the skirting boards so that the tiles could go under them. We had to pay a little extra for that.

2. We've gone with Kildare Carpets and floors and again I found them really reasonable after a bit of a shop around. They are a really nice company to deal with. We are still a few weeks from having the floors installed, but so far we have no issues with the process. As advised by the wonderful people in this group, we will wait till after the snag to put the floors down.

3. We actually used Frank McGowan (Airside retail park) for our couch and window chair. I shopped around as I was looking for a certain style and they were the best by far in price for the style I was looking for, but I'm not sure how they fare for 'standard' furniture - might be worth having a look. They have a sale on at the moment.

4. We changed the paint colours. We have one colour in the sitting room and kitchen, and then another through the rest of the house. We just had to pay for the paint which was under €100 for Dulux washable.

As Daithilfc said, the thread is filled with great tips so do have a browse.

Best of luck to your parents. :)

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone installed plantation shutters instead of venetians etc? I’m just wondering how you find them, and are they practical?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone installed plantation shutters instead of venetians etc? I’m just wondering how you find them, and are they practical?

Hey, we got them for the front two large windows and we absolutely love them. They are just that little bit of a detail which finish the room off.

In hindsight the only change I would make would be to have a split half way down so you can open the top half to get at the window without having to move the chair that is in front of them. Very minor thing in fairness but the benefit of hindsight.

They are great for blocking out light in the front bedroom too.

We went with venetians for the rest of the house.

They do work out more expensive than venetians but, if you can budget it in, I feel it was worth the investment and really completes the room.

We got ours though dunariblinds.ie, would highly recommend them too. They have a website but update their Facebook page more regularly with photos of jobs they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 321S

Hello
    Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of buying in this estate we drove in a few times and viewed the 4 bedroom house however I think there are 5 houses remaining at the very end which are 3 beds which is what we will probably go for .It's a beautiful estate but we will go view them this week but it won't be a show house.I am also wondering has anyone information on the pylons as you enter the estate.I'm sure they are not for concern.Or has anyone any information on the row of houses 54 to 60 in which a few are remaining.Is there a Facebook group or what's app yet?Thank you kindly

321S wrote: »
    Hello
    Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of buying in this estate we drove in a few times and viewed the 4 bedroom house however I think there are 5 houses remaining at the very end which are 3 beds which is what we will probably go for .It's a beautiful estate but we will go view them this week but it won't be a show house.I am also wondering has anyone information on the pylons as you enter the estate.I'm sure they are not for concern.Or has anyone any information on the row of houses 54 to 60 in which a few are remaining.Is there a Facebook group or what's app yet?Thank you kindly

Hey, welcome to the thread and hopefully everything works out and you will have your deposit down soon.

At the moment only the 3 beds are available, there is a waiting list for the 4 beds and then phase 3 to come later in the year.

As far as I am aware they are planning on having a 3 bed showhouse but no sign of it being ready yet, probably depends on how quick they sell off the plans and whether they need one. Gero should know more if they have plans for this.

The entrance to the estate actually only begins at the pillars after the water treatment facility. The other road is planned to be linked to the ballinagappa road in the future and then there are some industrial units and sports amenities planned too. Full details can be see in the attached plans from the original application. I wouldnt worry too much about the pylons, they are a good bit away. Im not sure if the plan will be to put them underground but wont be part of this development i wouldnt say.

I dont know a whole lot of extra information about the row of houses and which ones are available, normally they would have a list of a available houses in the show house when its open but if you give the office a call Gero would be able let you know which ones are still available and maybe even arrange a viewing.

We do have groups set up for people once they move in and become residents.
    If you have any questions along the way though, there are loads on here who are happy to help and loads of information already in the thread for you to have a read through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 321S

Thank you

You have been very helpful and thanks for the plans as we haven't seen them.I did hear also that the pylons maybe going underground.Sorry it was just a concern for me and also I've a little baby and maybe an OTT mum too 😂.
    Well we are going to view them this week and go from there I just spoke with Gero so I'll have more information on them soon.
    And thank you so much for your reply it was very kind of you.

321S wrote: »
    Thank you

You have been very helpful and thanks for the plans as we haven't seen them.I did hear also that the pylons maybe going underground.Sorry it was just a concern for me and also I've a little baby and maybe an OTT mum too ��.
    Well we are going to view them this week and go from there I just spoke with Gero so I'll have more information on them soon.
    And thank you so much for your reply it was very kind of you.

I know everyone has their own opinions on pylons, but if it helps, there are a lot of families living in the estate with children and young babies, myself included. Personally I don't see any issue with them at all

Hi all,

Looking to remove dresser and add extra wardrobe in attic room but have been given a price of 500 euro which seems very excessive, is this what everyone else paid?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Looking to remove dresser and add extra wardrobe in attic room but have been given a price of 500 euro which seems very excessive, is this what everyone else paid?

Thanks!

I think that is around what they are charging for it. We moved a wardrobe from the small bedroom and wanted to relocate to the attic space but had to pay an extra bit of money as "it requires more work with the sloped roof"

It's a crazy price in fairness but if you are going with the standard wardrobes it's definitely worth doing. The dresser is useless and the extra storage is priceless up there.

Hi all,

Well we are nearly at the end of it and are hoping to have moved in next week. However, we've checked on the snag list work that needs doing before we move in and a lot of it still has not been done. Some of the details are small but others are not. My question is how much did you let drop off the snag for the sake of moving in asap? I know there are big things that we cannot leave but, I'm wondering how picky I should really be?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Well we are nearly at the end of it and are hoping to have moved in next week. However, we've checked on the snag list work that needs doing before we move in and a lot of it still has not been done. Some of the details are small but others are not. My question is how much did you let drop off the snag for the sake of moving in asap? I know there are big things that we cannot leave but, I'm wondering how picky I should really be?

It all depends on how urgent you need to move in. It can be hard enough to get them back after and you'll end up leaving things off in the end and moving on.

We had pretty much all of the major things done in the house snag wise before we moved in, just had a couple of exterior things and they even took months of asking, waiting and going back to ask again.

Plus anything which requires access to the house will mean you will need to be there during the day and pretty much all day waiting for someone to come around.

Congrats and good luck with the move!

We had a fair few things left on our snag when we moved in, all small enough things, but we just kept following up with the builders until we got them all done. In fairness, most of the guys on site are great at coming in to fix things up and we generally had little hassle getting all the snags fixed. I will say that my wife was on maternity leave at the time so she was available most days to let them in, which really helped. Had we both been out working all day it would have been tricker.

Edit; Just after seeing Daithí's reply there before me. I'd agree on having the major things done. Our's were only minor things like paint smudges and stuff at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a good snagger around D15. If you had a positive experience with yours would you mind pm'ing me the name please?

Thanks in advance
    Michael

mikehene wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a good snagger around D15. If you had a positive experience with yours would you mind pm'ing me the name, please?

Thanks in advance
    Michael

We used <snip>. Very easy to deal with, quick and decent price.
    He would easily travel to whatever area in Dublin or the surrounding counties which you needed him.

daithilfc wrote: »
    We used <snip>. Very easy to deal with, quick and decent price.
    He would easily travel to whatever area in Dublin or the surrounding counties which you needed him.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note
    Recommendations by PM please folks.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Recommendations by PM please folks.

Can you PM the recommendation to me as you've removed the link before I had chance to take note.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 laurafay

Hi Everyone

We are very close to finally moving in now!

I have a couple of queries;

Firstly, did anyone use a landscaper to dig/rotavate and re seed grass in the back garden? Our back looks very stoney and with this fab weather the grass that was sown has done nothing so we are thinking of getting it redone in Sept/Oct.

Also looking for advice on TV and broadband we have been with sky and happy with there service for both. Just wondering has there been any problems with it in Aughamore are ppl having any issues with signal in any of the bedrooms etc.

Thanks in advance

laurafay wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

We are very close to finally moving in now!

I have a couple of queries;

Firstly, did anyone use a landscaper to dig/rotavate and re seed grass in the back garden? Our back looks very stoney and with this fab weather the grass that was sown has done nothing so we are thinking of getting it redone in Sept/Oct.

Also looking for advice on TV and broadband we have been with sky and happy with there service for both. Just wondering has there been any problems with it in Aughamore are ppl having any issues with signal in any of the bedrooms etc.

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on your new home. Hopefully you will get the keys soon and be able enjoy the moving in fun ;)

With regards to the landscaper, the gardens themselves are fairly patchy and you will need to do something to bring them along. This could be something as simple as a quick de-stoning and seeding or adding in some paved area depending on your preference.
    We added a paved section and then finished it off with the roll out grass as the lawn patch got ruined during the paving.

I know a lot of people have used Declan, who is doing the driveways, to do some paving and lawn section. He definitly does do artificial grass if you are interested in that, im not sure about the roll out real grass but its worth asking too. He is very easy to deal with and is on site anyway so it cuts down the hassle. Just once he isnt tied up with doing the driveways. I can PM you his number if you'd like to give him a call and discuss your ideas.

When it comes to the TV and Broadband, at the moment the only option for broadband is Virgin. The estate is still not connected up to the main Telephone service so we cannot get Eir, sky or any others which come in over the line. All the houses are set up for Virgin so it should be straight forward enough. I know SIRO is coming into clane soon but not sure exactly when it will be available.

You can get both Sky and Virgin for the TV. We have sky and have had no issues with the signal. If you are planning on using the Sky mini box in the top bedroom you may need to look into either the booster box, a better Wifi setup or even sorting out the network cables to ensure uninterupted signal. Overall I feel its the best service but I know a lot of people in the estate have Virgin and are happy with them once it doesnt go down. :p

One thing I will say about sky is be carefull during the installation. Depending on who installs it for you they could look to take a shortcut way of running cables around the outside of the house and then straight into the sitting room. This shouldnt be necessary.
    All houses should have 3 cables going into both attic spaces. These cables then go down to the hotpress (in the willow house anyway, i know its a little different in the Oak). This allows them to be joined up with all the rooms as each room has a cable which goes back up to this area.

They should be able run a cable into the nearest attic space to where the dish is, connect up to the existing cable and then join to the specific cable for the room you want Sky to go into before going to the box.
    Some installers are willing to do this, some will complain about having to identify the cables and some just wont do it. I would highly recommend pushing for this to cut down on the cables going around the house and make use of the ones which are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 laurafay

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

Did you have a long wait on esb meter going in? Once thats done we are good to snag.

Be great if you could send me on Declan number.

Advertisement