Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HSE/Tusla Assistant Staff Officer Grade IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭claregal1

Got the same email and I had practiced the tests- also it said if you received an email and not a text to contact them, which I did as I did'nt receive a text. They replied back that there was no need to email them as I had recieved the email... sooooooo contradicting !!

There is another chance to practice some other tests, which I have already done so but these tests include numerical , I was under the impression that numerical was'nt to be included in this competition .

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dorbrogra

claregal1 wrote: »
    Got the same email and I had practiced the tests- also it said if you received an email and not a text to contact them, which I did as I did'nt receive a text. They replied back that there was no need to email them as I had recieved the email... sooooooo contradicting !!

There is another chance to practice some other tests, which I have already done so but these tests include numerical , I was under the impression that numerical was'nt to be included in this competition .

This came in latest email I received today.....I think all applicants should have received this

'The Actual Assessment will assess your different reasoning abilities in the following two areas; Verbal Comprehension (16 minutes time limit) and Error Checking (6 minutes time limit). You must undertake each assessment area in one sitting.  We recommend you allow at least 30 minutes for the taking of each assessment area, as you will need to take time to read through the instructions and undertake some example questions.'

dorbrogra wrote: »
    This came in latest email I received today.....I think all applicants should have received this

'The Actual Assessment will assess your different reasoning abilities in the following two areas; Verbal Comprehension (16 minutes time limit) and Error Checking (6 minutes time limit). You must undertake each assessment area in one sitting. We recommend you allow at least 30 minutes for the taking of each assessment area, as you will need to take time to read through the instructions and undertake some example questions.'

Yeah thats what I received also , but when I clicked in to do the Grade IV practice tests, numerical was included in it , which was making me wonder are they going to throw numerical in also if they are putting it in with the practice test.

Yeah thats what I received also , but when I clicked in to do the Grade IV practice tests, numerical was included in it , which was making me wonder are they going to throw numerical in also if they are putting it in with the practice test.

It does come across as confusing so I guess the best thing is to be prepared for all eventualities .... I practiced the numerical just in case!

dorbrogra wrote: »
    It does come across as confusing so I guess the best thing is to be prepared for all eventualities .... I practiced the numerical just in case!

I did too haha!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭teaontap

If I remember right there were error checking examples on the extra examples given for the Civil service grade 3 tests but it wasn't on the actual tests so maybe this is the same. I definitely need more practice at them, the error checking throws me because of the limited time, I panic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

i dont think there will be numerical in the actual test which comes out tomorrow. In the initial email
    we received with the practice links, it said the following in the text of the mail.

"The Actual Assessment will assess your different reasoning abilities in the following two areas; Verbal Comprehension (16 minutes time limit) and Error Checking (6 minutes time limit)."

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Has anyone got the email yet?

yes, just checked my email. email came in around 11 am.
    error checking and verbal

good luck

Just got the text so far. Good luck

• Advertisement

yes, just checked my email. email came in around 11 am.
    error checking and verbal

good luck

Yes , just got the email there ! Will leave it until Sat morning I think when my head is fresher and not bogged down with work !

Just took the test today. Verbal comprehension was not too bad. The error checking was a bit tougher but managed to answer the full 8 (hopefully correctly) on a few of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I get my laptop back tomorrow from the repair shop;)

Just finished the test- didnt find the verbal difficult at all but I struggled to get more that 7 done in the error in each batch....

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just finished the test- didnt find the verbal difficult at all but I struggled to get more that 7 done in the error in each batch....
    Thanks for sharing. Hope to do mine at the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Did anyone get an email confirming they completed the tests? I don't know why but I was expecting something to tell me I had completed the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

No just screen saying test was submitted, no email. The tests are the same level as the grade 111 CO without the numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

Got it done earlier today. Found it very similar to Clerical Officer test but without the numerical.... thought i done really well in that one but got on terrible and thought i got on well today too got it all completed ecept for 3 questions i think so we#'ll wait and see. Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

What format was the verbal, were there a number of tabs with text that you had to navigate through and choose which was relevant to the answer or was there just 1 page of text per question?

i've just completed mine, hard to know how it went. Thought the verbal was alright but a few tricky questions, only 1 page of text with questions. No tabs.

Error checking answered most of the 8 in each question.
    Will just have to wait and see, the results are out on the 23rd August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Does anyone know if timing has a big impact on final score - say 2 people answer all questions right but one person is faster - will they score higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

For me the verbal was easy, felt very confident.

Then the error checking part just took me by surprise of of 8 questions in each part I averaged 6 to 7 answers.

Tough indeed.

I was a grade 3 for 4 yrs and left the HSE for the civil service, a much better working environment...

In saying that, if I got offered a grade 4 I'd take it

Best of luck to anyone getting ready to do the test and remember, just because I found the error checking hard doesn't mean you will

Just completed the assessment. Found it tough as you need to be so fast or it times you out, but similar to the clerical officer one. So hopefully a good result fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Also just because someone gets everything answered it doesn't mean they answered correctly.

Would have preferred maths though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just finished now myself. Both of them went well - am confident I answered most of them correctly, but the time flew by! It's very frantic! A poster above asked whether timing will come into play - so if two people got the same amount of questions done, but one did it quicker, the quicker person will be placed higher on the list. That's probably where I'll fall down as I answered them all, but the timing was off. Ah well!

Best of luck to everyone else. Don't leave it to the last minute tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Just finished now myself. Both of them went well - am confident I answered most of them correctly, but the time flew by! It's very frantic! A poster above asked whether timing will come into play - so if two people got the same amount of questions done, but one did it quicker, the quicker person will be placed higher on the list. That's probably where I'll fall down as I answered them all, but the timing was off. Ah well!

Best of luck to everyone else. Don't leave it to the last minute tomorrow.

ooops i had a like 30 seconds left for some of the parts and let the time run down to give myself a little break... silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

ooops i had a like 30 seconds left for some of the parts and let the time run down to give myself a little break... silly

I'm not sure if it's an established fact, or just speculation about the time factor - I would have thought it would have been mentioned in the information sent out..

When you submitted an answer early, it asked 'are you sure? time remaining'

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sharkhunter

Messed up during the error checking section, was caught up trying to work through it fast, my mouse hit something and next thing i got the message saying responses loaded. Just wondering how many sections of 8 questions was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Done.. so hard to know though. didn't answer any of the error checking fully. got around 7 out of 8 answered in each. The verbal just seemed to go very quick. hard to know if answered correct. let the waiting begin again...

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    For me the verbal was easy, felt very confident.

Then the error checking part just took me by surprise of of 8 questions in each part I averaged 6 to 7 answers.

Tough indeed.

I was a grade 3 for 4 yrs and left the HSE for the civil service, a much better working environment...

In saying that, if I got offered a grade 4 I'd take it

Best of luck to anyone getting ready to do the test and remember, just because I found the error checking hard doesn't mean you will

I'm now a Grade 3 with the HSE , but was with the Civil Service for 3 years, didn't get flexi time in the section I was in in the Civil Service and less holidays. Find my work environment way better in the HSE with 26 days AL and 12 flexi - I guess it really depends on what section you are assigned to. A friend of mine in the HSE doesn't get any flexi time and is continuously under pressure with a massive work load !

Anyways will be interesting to see how many positions will be available as there was an internal competition for grade IV as well....

Advertisement