Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 2017-18 season thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh have a litmus test of Scarlets and Leinster away in Rounds 4 and 5. If they can win one of those then perhaps they can break into the top 6 this year. Cardiff look like they will disappoint again. Dragons haven't a hope. It remains to be seen on Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah hard to know what to take away from round one. Leinster, Glasgow and Scarlets looking good but the jury's still out on the others. Felt bad for the two SA teams shipping almost 100 points between them as they were good to watch. They will come good though. Cheetahs in particular will put it up to teams. Could give Munster a scare this weekend. Do the Kings not even have a shirt sponsor at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Venjur wrote: »
    In terms of the run of results yes, but over the course of a season those bottom 6 teams regularly take a few scalps so on a week to week basis there are good fixtures that on the face of the entire season seem more insignificant than they are.

I wasn't sure if this was true or not, so I checked. The top 6 played the bottom 6 72 times. Of those there were 8 wins by "bottom 6 teams" last year. Two away from home (Cardiff v Munster, Edinburgh v Glasgow). There was also an away draw. No team in the bottom 6 beat Leinster.

To me that represents a fairly big gap. To be fair the Blues almost caught Glasgow last year - but the consistency of that gap is notable.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if this was true or not, so I checked. The top 6 played the bottom 6 72 times. Of those there were 8 wins by "bottom 6 teams" last year. Two away from home (Cardiff v Munster, Edinburgh v Glasgow). There was also an away draw. No team in the bottom 6 beat Leinster.

To me that represents a fairly big gap. To be fair the Blues almost caught Glasgow last year - but the consistency of that gap is notable.

I totally agree there is a gap, I'd have thought the win rate of bottom 6 against top 6 was higher than 11% tbh. I guess though with a scalp every second or so week it's not insignificant but not ideal.

The issue developing from what I can see is squad depth. Some of the teams can put out two squads at this stage and both sets will have internationals in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's dreadful news for the league, Biggar has been one of its top players for years. I am surprised, given the new monies from SA, that Wales wasn't able to retain their first choice 10. He only turns 28 next month so is in his prime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Northampton seems very much a sideways move from Ospreys, unless the money is much better.

Will this have any affect on his International career?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Northampton seems very much a sideways move from Ospreys, unless the money is much better.

I'm sure they'll just change whatever the definition of Gatland's Law is to allow them to select him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

CatFromHue wrote: »

600k a year. WRU statement said market forces meant they couldnt compete. Biggar says he is moving to win things. The championship might not be what he means but its about all that Saints might win any time soon if last saturday is anything to go by

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    600k a year. WRU statement said market forces meant they couldnt compete. Biggar says he is moving to win things. The championship might not be what he means but its about all that Saints might win any time soon if last saturday is anything to go by

Disappointing for Ospreys and the pro14 to be honest. Biggars comments also odd as Northampton are well and truly gash the last few years.

Can't remember the name of the no.2 at Ospreys but I know he was getting a lot of positive commentary last season so hopefully steps things up again this year.

• Advertisement

Disappointing for Ospreys and the pro14 to be honest. Biggars comments also odd as Northampton are well and truly gash the last few years.

Can't remember the name of the no.2 at Ospreys but I know he was getting a lot of positive commentary last season so hopefully steps things up again this year.

His comments are bog standard I'm-signing-for-a-new-club-here's-some-platitudes stuff. He's hardly going to say "well I've doubled my salary so I couldn't say no".

I think Sam Davies is who you're thinking of. Very talented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You're thinking of Sam Davies. Biggar has flaws but has always been a steady hand for the Ospreys and Wales. It's a blow to the league that he's leaving.

His comments are bog standard I'm-signing-for-a-new-club-here's-some-platitudes stuff.

Of course they are, no disagreement here. But it's odd to say that given where Northampton are at the moment and what just happened to them at the weekend. It's like saying you're going to eat Ice Cream because it's low in fat.

I think Sam Davies is who you're thinking of. Very talented player.

That's the one. He looked good the few times I saw him last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Of course they are, no disagreement here. But it's odd to say that given where Northampton are at the moment and what just happened to them at the weekend. It's like saying you're going to eat Ice Cream because it's low in fat.

That's the one. He looked good the few times I saw him last season.

Was there another interview where he was saying all this? I'm just looking at the BBC article and he just talks about the history and tradition of Northampton

Was there another interview where he was saying all this? I'm just looking at the BBC article and he just talks about the history and tradition of Northampton

I'm not going looking for it but I read the comments about how he wants to win trophies etc etc.

I'm not going looking for it but I read the comments about how he wants to win trophies etc etc.

Ah right its in the full comment which is on the Saints site:
    “I'm hugely privileged to sign for a club with the history and tradition of Saints,” he says. “It's extremely exciting to start a new chapter of my career with a club that shares my ambition to win trophies, which is where this club belongs. I have to say a massive thank you to the coaches and board for the confidence put in me and I look forward to working as hard as I ever have in my career to return the faith.

“This is an opportunity for me and my family to experience rugby in a different environment and playing in a town and surrounding area which has a massive passion for rugby was a huge attraction.

“I would like to thank everyone at the Ospreys and the Welsh Rugby Union who has supported and helped me throughout my career and an extra special thank you to the fans who have helped and supported me through highs and lows.

“To play for my home club was a dream come true, let alone to play as many times as I have done. I hope my passion for the shirt and people of this region has shone through in my performances and I would love to leave on a high note with some silverware. I also remain fully committed to Wales and achieving the best I can every time I pull on the red shirt.”

I think its fair enough. Surely every club has an ambition to win trophies. Especially a club that has actually won major trophies like Northampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Clegg wrote: »
    You're thinking of Sam Davies. Biggar has flaws but has always been a steady hand for the Ospreys and Wales. It's a blow to the league that he's leaving.

It's not that big a blow. Biggar played very few pro12 games and hasn't yet recaptured his world cup form. Sam Davies is the incumbent for the Wales 10 Jersey. Very exciting player.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Be funny if he said, "to me, as a Welshman, it's very important that my countrymen see me play as regularly as possible, so I signed for a club in the English Premiership".

It's not that big a blow. Biggar played very few pro12 games and hasn't yet recaptured his world cup form. Sam Davies is the incumbent for the Wales 10 Jersey. Very exciting player.

The problem is more than he's a marquee Welsh player and it doesn't say a whole pile for the league that he's leaving for a mid-tier English side.

Ha! Anyone notice where www.pro14rugby.com leads you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Blut2

The problem is more than he's a marquee Welsh player and it doesn't say a whole pile for the league that he's leaving for a mid-tier English side.

Between Madigan getting £500k a year and Biggar getting £600k a year I think its more indicative that the English teams either a) have too much money or b) are terrible with their money. Or maybe a combination of both a) and b).

If the Pro14 gets an influx of cash from the Saffers over the next few seasons it'll definitely help teams compete financially at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Neil3030 wrote: »

Lol what the heck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Neil3030 wrote: »

The official site is pro14rugby.org.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Between Madigan getting £500k a year and Biggar getting £600k a year I think its more indicative that the English teams either a) have too much money or b) are terrible with their money. Or maybe a combination of both a) and b).

If the Pro14 gets an influx of cash from the Saffers over the next few seasons it'll definitely help teams compete financially at least.

I don't believe for a minute Madigan is on that much per year.

I don't believe for a minute Madigan is on that much per year.

I'd believe it if its a deal structured in a way that gets him (and the other guys like Luatua) a bunch of money during the first year while Bristol are in the Championship and therefore have no salary cap.

EDIT: Although Midi Olympique said it was 500k per year.

Post Brexit inflation and the weakening pound is going to make salaries in the half-million territory the norm to entice players to the UK, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I see that Stuart Berry (South Africa) and Assistant referees Quinton Immelman (South Africa) and Cwengile Jadezweni (South Africa) are all up in Myreside this Friday.

He's the one of the biggest names in the Pro 14. Over 200 caps for the Ospreys and over 50 for Wales. It's a sizeable loss especially when the league is trying to expand and attract more viewers.

But lads think of the BANTER they'll have on BT talking about his Macarena dance! We are all winners here!

• Advertisement

James Davies is out for 3 months with a shoulder injury. Huge blow for the Scarlets. Best openside flanker in the Pro 14 right now.

Advertisement