Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service Clerical Officer Campaign 2017 (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

marmieB wrote: »
    Hi

They are hiring loads with EO in Dublin at the moment - so i am sure it will be the same for CO
    You cant have supervised testing without testing first
    With the EO, supervised testing meant doing the online verbal numerical tests in a supervised environment
    Verbal and Numerical are referred to as 'tests'
    Assessments is the term used to describe what we have done already ie personality and scenarios
    Unless we repeat the assesssments again, but the handbook refers to verbal/numerical tests - at least the possibility of them
    This is just speculation on my part, but i have been through a few civil service recruitment campaigns (including CO) for a while now.

I wonder have they changed things for this year, looking back over the previous thread they were talking about things changing from the previous year, so maybe they have decided not to bother with the at home tests and just go straight to the supervised tests?

ETA I got a score of 583 and an OOM in the mid 1300s

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lynchburg

Wow, I thought I was quite an intelligent person but my OOM is in the 4000's! What are the right answers?!?? This was my first attempt at a public job assessment, perhaps it's not for me😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8 londonbrian

OOM is in the 290s. I think for the stage 2 test they use the RDS and a few hundred do the tests at different times? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

Lynchburg wrote: »
    Wow, I thought I was quite an intelligent person but my OOM is in the 4000's! What are the right answers?!?? This was my first attempt at a public job assessment, perhaps it's not for me����

The assessment so far is not a test of intelligence as much as a test of knowing how to be the right sort of person for a public service job. Having had managerial experience so knowing what management want to hear and also just finishing up a TCO position it gives you an insight into how to answer a lot of those questions. I wouldn't worry too much about your score regarding your intelligence the real tests of intelligence if they can be called that will be the aptitude tests that are coming up however a large amount of how well you do on those is down to practise.
    Be aware that a lot of these jobs are based on what the "process" is for that job and so they want people who can follow the process not necessarily creative thinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lynchburg

The assessment so far is not a test of intelligence as much as a test of knowing how to be the right sort of person for a public service job. Having had managerial experience so knowing what management want to hear and also just finishing up a TCO position it gives you an insight into how to answer a lot of those questions. I wouldn't worry too much about your score regarding your intelligence the real tests of intelligence if they can be called that will be the aptitude tests that are coming up however a large amount of how well you do on those is down to practise.
    Be aware that a lot of these jobs are based on what the "process" is for that job and so they want people who can follow the process not necessarily creative thinkers.

Thanks Rachaelworld! I am a creative type, but also successful in the private sector in administration/clerical roles. So yes, perhaps I've just got to practise and try again. Thanks for the insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Hi guys,
    First time participating... 1500 s . Does anybody know how many people they called for the next stage last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Assessment Questionnaire

Your Score: 438
    Qualifying Score: 300
    OOM: 5436

Yeah!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

What's OOM ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ronb1412004

Oom stands for order of merit. I scored 535 and my oom 2679.

Not sure how good or bad that is seems in the middle from what I've read on here

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

I scored 535 and my oom 2679.
    I though that's what it meant as soon as I sent it lol ..I got
    566 oom 1787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ConorPP

Hi all!

So glad I found this thread and look forward to the CO-campaign road ahead.
    My score is 517 and my OOM (Order Of Merit) is 3280.

Upon seeing my results I was fairly happy with 517 considering you need at least 300. I had no clue at first what OOM meant but then copped that it stood for Order of Merit. I thought to myself so there is 3279 people ahead of me?!?! I then reassured myself (and so should you) that this does not mean you did bad and are not capable. As someone pointed out, this is not an intelligence test, rather a test to see how capable you are for the job. I reckon they are looking for angels, which means us honest folk will be penalised. However I see we have all passed!

Next up are the real tests which can of course be practiced over and over again. My mams friend who will be supervising the tests has said she can really notice who has practiced and who has not. So I recommend getting into the habit of practicing when on the laptop.

I came across an artical in The Independent which gave us some figures:

Apparently there is around 28,500 applicants (bare in mind as one other poster mentioned-everyone and their dog would have applied since it was posted on Facebook)

The Independent reckons 400-600 will be taken on within the first 12-18 months of the recruitment drive.

Around 22,000 is your starting salary with the top being 36,000 which may take up to 18 years to get to. However it is important to note that 22,000-36,000 is the salary for Clerical Officer, which is the entry position to the Civil Service. You should be aiming to climb the ranks and better your salary of course.

Thats it for now folks. I look forward to hearing your stories and experiences along the way. I'll be sharing mine!

Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HiberniaLG

ConorPP wrote: »
    Next up are the real tests which can of course be practiced over and over again. My mams friend who will be supervising the tests has said she can really notice who has practiced and who has not. So I recommend getting into the habit of practicing when on the laptop.
    Where can you practice these tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

job seeker wrote: »
    Assessment Questionnaire

Something similar for me. But tbh first time for this and not a lot of work put into it. Whereas others wanting it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

job seeker wrote: »
    Assessment Questionnaire

Something similar for me. But tbh first time for this and not a lot of work put into it. Whereas others wanting it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dottynic

ConorPP wrote: »
    Hi all!

So glad I found this thread and look forward to the CO-campaign road ahead.
    My score is 517 and my OOM (Order Of Merit) is 3280.

Upon seeing my results I was fairly happy with 517 considering you need at least 300. I had no clue at first what OOM meant but then copped that it stood for Order of Merit. I thought to myself so there is 3279 people ahead of me?!?! I then reassured myself (and so should you) that this does not mean you did bad and are not capable. As someone pointed out, this is not an intelligence test, rather a test to see how capable you are for the job. I reckon they are looking for angels, which means us honest folk will be penalised. However I see we have all passed!

Apparently there is around 28,500 applicants (bare in mind as one other poster mentioned-everyone and their dog would have applied since it was posted on Facebook)

The Independent reckons 400-600 will be taken on within the first 12-18 months of the recruitment drive.

Around 22,000 is your starting salary with the top being 36,000 which may take up to 18 years to get to. However it is important to note that 22,000-36,000 is the salary for Clerical Officer, which is the entry position to the Civil Service. You should be aiming to climb the ranks and better your salary of course.

Thats it for now folks. I look forward to hearing your stories and experiences along the way. I'll be sharing mine!

Best of luck to everyone!

Where do you find the practice tests :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I find the figures ConorPP provides to be very encouraging.

If you consider that they are looking to fill 400-600 places initially. They are going to have to call a lot of people in to whittle them down to those numbers. They will have to call in thousands from this stage. Then many of them won't have the verbal or numerical skills to do the job and will be dropped out at stage 2. Whoever is left will then presumably have to go for an interview and they will lose many many more at that stage before they get down to the final 400-600.

Not to mention that many people may have not been serious in applying for a position, they may have done it on a whim or for the practice. Many will find other jobs in the meantime, many will choose to stay with their current job and not continue. Many will be put off by the low salary. If you live outside Dublin, the living costs of moving to Dublin for a low salary would be dis-heartening.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they start calling people for stage 2. We will soon see how far down the OOM list they are reaching and how quickly they are getting through the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Anoushka

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:
    So glad I found this thread and look forward to the CO-campaign road ahead. My score is 517 and my OOM (Order Of Merit) is 3280.

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:

ConorPP wrote:

Hi, where did you get this information from? As far as I know 28500 applicants applied for CO competition 2016 and not 2017. I could not find anywhere how many applicants applied for CO competition 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Your Score:    468   
    Qualifying Score:    300
    OOM:  4730

Be interesting to see how this goes. I did the TCO exam last February and I was placed 1490. I started a TCO position a few weeks ago. I reckon that 4730 is too far down the list to get a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

My husband got test score of 605 and oom of 843. Does he have chance of getting called to stage 2?

HiberniaLG wrote: »
    Where can you practice these tests?

I don't think I can link just yet but here are the steps to practice the tests:

1. Go to Publicjobs.ie
    2. In the search bar type "Sample online tests for entry level and graduate roles"
    3. Click the first option.
    4. Follow the instructions from there. (You're doing tests for the CO position btw)

• Advertisement

Anoushka wrote: »
    Hi, where did you get this information from? As far as I know 28500 applicants applied for CO competition 2016 and not 2017. I could not find anywhere how many applicants applied for CO competition 2017.

Hi, I don't think I can link just yet but I came across the artical last night and it was dated 3rd November 2017.

My sincerest apologies I have sorely misquoted the artical which I posted about previously. At the top of the Artical it gave the date of 3rd November 2017, but that must have been the days date. The artical was actually post July 20th 2014.

My mistake XD

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

OOM 4800

Not surprising considering I never taken an assessment questionnaire before, so just happy I passed.

I'm taking solace in the fact that some people who did apply wouldn't have passed stage 1, and other being called to stage 2 won't pass the verbal and numerical tests, and if there are interviews, I imagine others again will fall at that hurdle.

Just means I've a longer wait for a job then I was hoping for. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Anniesland wrote: »
    My husband got test score of 605 and oom of 843. Does he have chance of getting called to stage 2?

Absolutely.

Its one of the best ones posted here.

I recon everyone may get called in time

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I got a score of 677 with a oom of 130 so fingers crossed I get a call. Just finished a stint with Revenue as TCO but this permanent post would be gift...... here's hoping. Good luck everyone-oh the stress!!!

et101 wrote: »
    I got a score of 677 with a oom of 130 so fingers crossed I get a call. Just finished a stint with Revenue as TCO but this permanent post would be gift...... here's hoping. Good luck everyone-oh the stress!!!

Great score, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 amazonwomen

I started this process in June 2016. Scored quite high. Was informed in March of 2017 that I had passed the interview stage. Heard nothing so I contacted them to find out that I was next on the list. I didn't start work until 16th October. So don't worry and definitely don't put plans on hold while waiting. It's a slow process.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Hi my score was 605 and my OOM is 892. I'm pretty chuffed having read through the thread. I thought I hadn't done that well. I'm 47 and have been at home with the kids for the past 14 years. It's given my confidence a little bit of a boost. It's hard to get back out there after all these years. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

babyboom wrote: »
    Hi my score was 605 and my OOM is 892. I'm pretty chuffed having read through the thread. I thought I hadn't done that well. I'm 47 and have been at home with the kids for the past 14 years. It's given my confidence a little bit of a boost. It's hard to get back out there after all these years. Good luck to everyone.

Well done! I am same age and same scenario. I scored 00M of 1330 so you should be delighted with yourself. Fingers crossed we both get a new start at working life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 amazonwomen

Can someone tell me what OOM means

Advertisement