Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Squatter wrote: »
    It's ironic really!

The IRFU protects its home-based players by strictly controlling their game time - whereas the financially strapped WRU abuses its home-based players by arranging matches outside the international window in which they are obliged to play if selected!

Ummm, don't IRFU do this too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's ironic really!

The IRFU protects its home-based players by strictly controlling their game time - whereas the financially strapped WRU abuses its home-based players by arranging matches outside the international window in which they are obliged to play if selected!

This isn't an extra match though. It's a third match a week outside the alloted window.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This isn't an extra match though. It's a third match a week outside the alloted window.

It's not outside the window. The window allows for 3 games in June, which is exactly what the WRU are doing.

It's just the window is specific in how many days before the match the players can be kept by the clubs, and that doesn't necessarily suit the WRU's trans-atlantic match preparations. I believe the WRU had thought they would be released and had been told so by officials at a club involved but PRL decided against it and it's a league-wide decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's not outside the window. The window allows for 3 games in June, which is exactly what the WRU are doing.

It's just the window is specific in how many days before the match the players can be kept by the clubs, and that doesn't necessarily suit the WRU's trans-atlantic match preparations. I believe the WRU had thought they would be released and had been told so by officials at a club involved but PRL decided against it and it's a league-wide decision.

I was more trying to correct the Wales out for money 4th test bit. But it's crappy for the players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Window is 9 16 23 june. Wales v S.A. is June 2nd. So it is outside the window

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is outside the window.
    Unless Council approves otherwise the three weekends in June shall be the second, third and fourth weekends.

Ah yes, I am wrong on that.

Ah yes, I am wrong on that.

Players only have to be made available from June 3rd i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Ummm, don't IRFU do this too?

Go on ............................?

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Go on ............................?
    I think the Italy match in Chicago is outside the window. I think there'll be Pro14 matches the same weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So was the All Blacks game in Chicago wasn’t it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    So was the All Blacks game in Chicago wasn’t it?
    Yea I'm pretty sure the window is only for three weekends.

The only reason this hasn't come up for the IRFU is that we don't currently select anyone outside of Ireland.

awec wrote: »
    Yea I'm pretty sure the window is only for three weekends.

The only reason this hasn't come up for the IRFU is that we don't currently select anyone outside of Ireland.

Well that and the fact this only the second time we have played outside the window, for Wales it's been a regular occurrence for the last number of years.

Interesting to see that in court today, Paddy Jackson's lawyer claimed he is both without employment and without offer of employment.

Maybe Sale did rescind the offer after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beno Obano sustained a knee ligament injury during training with England and has been sent home.

It could be coincidental but a lot of players seem to get injured on England duty. We already know Jones flogs the players too. Wonder what kind of training they're actually doing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Biarritz relegated to Federale 1. Very sad demise of a great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

PJ really screwed himself. Hope they both find a club soon.

Clegg wrote: »
    Beno Obano sustained a knee ligament injury during training with England and has been sent home.

It could be coincidental but a lot of players seem to get injured on England duty. We already know Jones flogs the players too. Wonder what kind of training they're actually doing

Probably do the same sort of high intensity training Lancaster does with Leinster, trying to recreate as close to match conditions as possible.

Biarritz relegated to Federale 1. Very sad demise of a great club.

Jesus. Any chance of them sorting themselves out and coming back up?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Jesus. Any chance of them sorting themselves out and coming back up?

They have seven days to appeal.

Montauban recovered. They're now a solid ProD2 club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So they were relegated due to a reason other than league placement?

Montauban recovered. They're now a solid ProD2 club.

Ah I thought it was just a normal relegation. Obviously teams can rebuild in ProD2 but Federale 1 is a pretty low ebb to fall to and recover from. Have any teams come from there to Top14 recently?

Hurrache wrote: »
    So they were relegated due to a reason other than league placement?

Financial reasons. €1m hole in their budget for next season I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Maybe they should focus on 7s instead.

Biarritzbokke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stephen_n wrote: »
    Probably do the same sort of high intensity training Lancaster does with Leinster, trying to recreate as close to match conditions as possible.

It was reported in the Sunday Times that England were going to be training in elevated heat and humidity before they travel out to SA, not that SA is particularly humid but in preparation for Japan next year.

A good idea that is utter lunacy at the end of a season.

It was reported in the Sunday Times that England were going to be training in elevated heat and humidity before they travel out to SA, not that SA is particularly humid but in preparation for Japan next year.

A good idea that is utter lunacy at the end of a season.

Doesn’t really make much sense this far out from the RWC, any benefits will be long gone by next year. The high veld is hardly that humid and apart from getting used to how far the ball travels, they won’t be acclimatized for the tour anyway, so yep that’s utter madness. Really seems like the wheels are coming off Eddies chariot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah I thought it was just a normal relegation. Obviously teams can rebuild in ProD2 but Federale 1 is a pretty low ebb to fall to and recover from. Have any teams come from there to Top14 recently?

Not really. Oyonnax about 15 years ago I think. Biarritz should have been relegated years ago but kept getting last minute reprieves, usually at the expense of better-run clubs. It's **** for their fans but the club is a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Saracens hammering Wasps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Saracens hammering Wasps
    Only 10 points in it now. 18 minutes to go.

• Advertisement

James Haskell skipped this game to attend some wedding

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement