Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bandylegs is Cotton Hill

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What armour class did you guys get though? Oh... hehe, wait. I'm 4 - from my sheet it means? roll 1d20 - 15 to hit. Does that make me hard or easy to hit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I got armour class of -1

hmm, i think i know why my hp is so high. i rolled a level 20 character. oops. will reroll with level 1 set.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I got an Armour Class of 1, but I guess I'll be easier to hit since I can't move when I have all these magic users hanging on to my legs.

• Advertisement

rerolled @ level 1 this time. hp 4 ac 3. that more like your figures.

although my general appearance has gone from ragged to 'dirty' :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bandylegs will convert you all to his as of yet unnamed dwarven God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Where does the base AC stat come from?

Banjo we'll be kitting you out in some armour when we go shopping to get that AC up. Leather armour will give you an additional 8 to your AC.

Mollyb60 wrote: »

Banjo we'll be kitting you out in some armour when we go shopping to get that AC up. Leather armour will give you an additional 8 to your AC.

I already have chainmail according to my character sheet. Does that help?

• Advertisement

Mauler Fiole isn't the kind of fighter to worry about his armour class. Or anything else for that matter. He's an easy-going, lustful, covetous man of moderate piety and honesty who collects weapons but for some reason left the house to go a-questing with only a dagger. (I assume the weapons and equipment on the random sheet are not part of our starting loadout? Otherwise I've got banded mail and a 50 foot rope!)

At Int 9, will my character be aware that his limbs won't grow back?

I think I'm gonna have to go put this stuff into the character generator. Doing it manually is just too much of a pain in the ass. Will keep my rolls for the stats though as I've already rolled those.

I think I'm gonna have to go put this stuff into the character generator. Doing it manually is just too much of a pain in the ass. Will keep my rolls for the stats though as I've already rolled those.

I rolled for my stats and then got the sheet to generate everything else. Hence the insanity... or did I? :pac::pac:

Hang on, re-read the rules and looked at the Character generator.

Low AC looks like it's better than high AC in this game.
    Mine is 1 because I have a dexterity bonus (-2) and the generator gave me Banded Mail (AC 4) and... uh... That makes 1? Oh wait, I have a Shield as well, so that's 4 -2 -1 = 1!
    Hey ma! Look at me! I AM A DUNGEON MASTER!!!

So if those randomly generated starting inventories are not going to stand and we're going shopping on Day 1, we all have an AC of 9 (naked as jaybird) + Dex Modifier (so I'm at 7)

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I'll sit down later this evening to respond to you all, but quickly responding to the 63 points thing.

Basically if the values of all your attributes sum to 63, your character is "average". It was my way of making sure you all started with average characters. However you've gone genuine old school and rolled up your character stats and accepted bad results. Fair play! Feel free to continue as is. I'll respond to everybody individually when I get home tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I am Alexander, the Magic User.

I am one of several children of a guildsman, however I am the black sheep of my family.

I am 5 foot 6 inces, and weight 154 pounds. I am unkempt. I have brown eyes, wavy black hair and a dark complexion.

My sanity is unstable, which isn't helped by my curious tendencies, nor my scrupulous honesty (what, being Chaotic Good and all). I am, however, fearless, compassionate and forgiving, as well as lustful.

I also, apparently, have an interest in exotic animals.

I also, thankfully, am able to read and write :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I am Alexander, the Magic User.

I am one of several children of a guildsman, however I am the black sheep of my family.

I am 5 foot 6 inces, and weight 154 pounds. I am unkempt. I have brown eyes, wavy black hair and a dark complexion.

My sanity is unstable, which isn't helped by my curious tendencies, nor my scrupulous honesty (what, being Chaotic Good and all). I am, however, fearless, compassionate and forgiving, as well as lustful.

I also, apparently, have an interest in exotic animals.

I also, thankfully, am able to read and write :P

I am very excited to play this game with you

Ok folks I am Elin, the thief.
    I am one of several children of a Serf. I have brown eyes, curly black hair, and a dark complexion.

General Appearance: Immaculate
    Sanity: Normal
    Tendencies: Suspicious
    Personality: Extrovert - Antagonistic
    Disposition: Unfeeling/insensitive
    Nature: Hard-hearted
    Honesty: Average
    Energy: Normal
    Morals: Lusty
    Intellect: Scheming
    Materialism: Intellectualist
    Bravery: Normal
    Thrift: Thrifty
    Piety: Irreverent
    Interests: None

So I should get on well with Bandylegs if we've both got lusty morals. Lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Can "morals" throw up anything other than "lusty"? :pac:

We're just a randy crew I think Alexander :pac:

• Advertisement

I rolled lusty too. There's going to be a lot of baby kobold half-breeds wandering around the dungeon this time next year...

Seeing as how I'm the only lady in the company I'm starting to get worried......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Seeing as how I'm the only lady in the company I'm starting to get worried......

Can I recommend mace... The big spiky ball kind.

Is there a bard class in Basic? A little mood-music might set you at ease... *Flexes while the bard sings the hit ballad "every sword has it's sheath"*

Can I recommend mace... The big spiky ball kind.

I don't think I'd be able to fit a ball that big into my pack. [/innuendo]

Is everyone running generated personalities? Gonna change a thing or two in mine

Is everyone running generated personalities? Gonna change a thing or two in mine

Yeah, pretty much I think. I'd prefer not to be insane but I just can't help it!

Do we choose a race?
    Basic D&D uses "race as class", so there are no Elf fighters or Elf thieves, just "Elf" which is a class like "Thief".
    What is the thief skills table for thieves on pg11 of the rule book? Do I put those in the 'Special Abilities' section of my character sheet? Not sure what the numbers are for different levels either. Is that the difficulty level for the roll? What am I rolling with? A d6?
    The Thief is sort of the special character of Basic D&D, as a trade off for how weak they are. They are naturally built for the dungeon and have a load of special abilities to reflect this. Such as being able to find traps. Other players will have to literally find traps in a room from my description. You can just roll.

The number are percentages to roll under using two d10s (simulating a d100).
    It's just a "built-in" fact of the game, your AC starts at 9 and buying armour or having high DEX lowers it.

Banjo wrote: »
    Hang on, re-read the rules and looked at the Character generator.

Low AC looks like it's better than high AC in this game.
    Mine is 1 because I have a dexterity bonus (-2) and the generator gave me Banded Mail (AC 4) and... uh... That makes 1? Oh wait, I have a Shield as well, so that's 4 -2 -1 = 1!
    Hey ma! Look at me! I AM A DUNGEON MASTER!!!

So if those randomly generated starting inventories are not going to stand and we're going shopping on Day 1, we all have an AC of 9 (naked as jaybird) + Dex Modifier (so I'm at 7)

I think.
    Totally correct. I'll be giving out 50 gold to everybody, so you will be able to buy the chainmail once we get to the "shopping" bit.

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    Do we keep the character sheets private? I would have thought no? Here's what I got...

STR: 10
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 11
    WIS: 9
    CHA: 9

Can post full sheet if we're allowed :pac:
    Yes totally allowed. There'll be thread holding them for all to see.

Advertisement