Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    It's my first time, be gentle. Couple of questions :
    I've run the character generator. Are the only important aspects of it the 6 stats on the right, or do I need to pay attention to the other numbers, abilities etc? Also, does it randomly assign points to those stats or will it skew them in favour of my chosen class ?
    In Basic D&D the only things that really matter mechanically are:

Class
    Level
    The Six stats

Everything else is just for fun to give your character flavour.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    From the rule book.
    Magic-users and elves study the spells from their spell books, and begin play with a few more spells in their books than they are able to cast based on their level. The player may choose two first level spells and one second level spell, but any other spells can only be added to a spell book through game play.

So, am I right in saying I need to have a Spell Book in my inventory (can I just add that to start things off?), I choose 2 level one spells and 1 level 2 spell to write into the book, BUT at Level One, I can only actually use one spell (one of the level one spells), at Level Two, I can use the two Level One spells, and at Level 3, I can use the 2 Level One Spells and the 1 Level Two spell?

And after that, I have to find the recipes for the other spells in the game world as we play?

(Sorry for all the questions Fourier; you apologised earlier for being a "bit of a bore", but I'm actually really enjoying trying to learn all of this :) )
    No worries at all.

You basically have it completely correct and it's what makes you different from the Clerics, who have access to all spells at their level.

You are assumed to have an item called a spell book that contains every spell you know. It starts off with some spells you can't actually use and in a dungeon you might find a scroll that describes a Level 6 spell and add it to your book, but simply not be able to cast it due to your characters level.

However, a magic user cannot access all spells in his spell book, even if they are at the appropriate level. Example:

He might have 10 Level 1 spells in the book. Let's say he is Level 2, then he can hold two Level 1 spells in his head at once. However once he casts them he forgets them and needs eight hours rest and a read of the spell book to memorise them again (see p.19)

The table on p.12 in the right column is the number of memory slots you have for spells of various levels.

Bed calls, more tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm Moy, a Cleric. I have 3hp and an AC of 2.

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 143#
    Sanity: Normal
    Personality: Average - Friendly
    Energy: Normal
    Intellect: Ponderous
    Bravery: Brave
    Thrift: Mean
    Interests: Collector - Minerals And Gems
    General Appearance: Scruffy
    Tendencies: Curious/inquisitive
    Disposition: Relaxed
    Nature: Rash
    Honesty: Truthful
    Morals: Normal
    Materialism: Average
    Piety: Average

After a disagreeance over corruption in your brotherhood, you have opted to travel and seek other ways to worship your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Is everyone running generated personalities? Gonna change a thing or two in mine

I changed some of the traits I didn't like for mine.

Fourier wrote: »
    Totally correct. I'll be giving out 50 gold to everybody, so you will be able to buy the chainmail once we get to the "shopping" bit.

50 Gold. Perfect. That'll get me everything on my list! :)

Ok so I'm gonna go with the 'minus 1 from one stat to add to another stat' thing to bump up my Dex. That leaves me with the following stats which I hope are ok.
    Str: 8 (-1)
    Dex: 18 (+2)
    Con: 10 (+0)
    Int: 9 (+0)
    Wis: 10 (+0)
    Cha: 8 (-1)

So someone else in the group can hire all the help and convince them to stick with us ok?
    It's just a "built-in" fact of the game, your AC starts at 9 and buying
    armour or having high DEX lowers it.
    Right so if I start with a base of 9, I have a high Dex so that takes 2 off to bring me to 7? And then if I buy the leather armour in the shopping spree that'll bring it down to -1? Ugh I dunno why this is confusing me so much.

Edit: Wait wait no. Does the armour just replace the base stat of 9? So my Dex mod will lower my AC to 6? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

yeah, I think the Armour has a base AC and you take your mods off that.

If everyone is comfortable with me sticking with my ridiculously favourable rolls, looks like I can hire a decent amount of retainers and keep them happy. Someone with higher intelligence and a meaner streak might need to negotiate a decent price though! Also, don't buy anything too fancy - I'm likely to waste my own money, want what you have, and all of us being level 1 I'm more likely to be able to take it by force :D

Anyone know how much retainers generally cost, and can we pool our money after shopping around a bit?
    Also are the prices for armour and weapons negotiable at all? 50GP doesn't go a long way towards keeping all of my meat inside the bag, so to speak.

So here's me :
    Name: Mauler Fiole (I know, a poor pun, but I got attached to it)
    Class: Fighter
    Level: 1
    Hit Points: 8
    Armor Class: 1 (based on Banded mail + Shield in equipment)
    Alignment: Lawful
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 175#
    STR: 16 To Hit: 2 To Dam: 2 Open Doors: 2
    DEX: 16 AC Mod: -2 Initiative: 1 Missile Adj: 2
    CON: 13 HP Adj: 1
    INT: 9 Add Langs: 0 Able to read and write
    WIS: 12 Save vs. Magic: 0
    CHA: 18 Reaction Adj: -2 Retainers: 7 Retainer Morale: 10

Breath Attacks 15
    Poison or Death 12
    Petrify or Paralyze 14
    Wands 13
    Spells or Spell-like Devices 16

Other Abilities: Teamster/freighter (Don't know if this is relevant)
    Languages: Common, Lawful

General Appearance: Ragged
    Sanity: Unstable
    Tendencies: Helpful/kindly
    Personality: Average - Modest
    Disposition: Easy Going
    Nature: Soft-hearted
    Honesty: Average
    Energy: Normal
    Morals: Lustful
    Intellect: Average
    Materialism: Covetous
    Bravery: Normal
    Thrift: Wastrel
    Piety: Average
    Interests: Collector - Weapons
    You are one of several children a Yeoman. You are a credit to the family. You have dark brown eyes, straight black hair, and a dark complexion.

Ok so the line up so far:
    Moy the Cleric (Digi)
    Saeros the Elf (Goat)
    Bandylegs the Dwarf (Necro)
    Mauler the Fighter (Banjo)
    Alexander the Magic User (Lordy)
    Elin the Thief (Molly)

We're just waiting on Soupy the Halfling to pitch in with a character name and we're almost good to go.

Shopping has brought up so many questions. Apologies in advance!
    What are the recommendations for buying things like food, backpacks, rope, torches etc. ?
    Are Dungeons typically lit up at all, given that other creatures live there?
    How many days does a typical trip into a dungeon take?
    Is owning a bedroll mandatory? I don't see it mentioned in the section on Resting as having an effect.
    Can one person have multiple backpacks?
    Are we using Encumbrance, and if so is there a modifier based on my magnificent manly strength?
    (And can you take your backpack off when you see an angry Owlbear bearing down on you?

Is there a cap on how many players? I've always wanted to give this a shot

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Edit: Wait wait no. Does the armour just replace the base stat of 9? So my Dex mod will lower my AC to 6? :(
    Sorry Mollyb60, I only properly copped what your previous question was about now.

Your armour becomes your new base AC and DEX modifies it as Banjo mentioned above.

Note: This technically means armour is not a modifier of AC, it's the new base AC. Hence it can't be affected by things that "remove modifiers".

• Advertisement

Sorry all, a bit busy yesterday and got home late. I'll review everybody's character and give a bit of advice on your class. With a final comment on lethality, play style and our halfling, we should be good to go.

What are the recommendations for buying things like food, backpacks, rope, torches etc. ?
    Is owning a bedroll mandatory? I don't see it mentioned in the section on Resting as having an effect.
    Are we using Encumbrance, and if so is there a modifier based on my magnificent manly strength?
    (And can you take your backpack off when you see an angry Owlbear bearing down on you?
    These are actually very important points. I'll have big post on play style today concerning this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Unless there's a specific cap I say jump on in PJ

The more the merrier I say. GM has the final say though so we'll let Fourier decide.

Basic D&D has a higher reasonable player limit than most RPGs, essentially ten. (most RPGs, it's four to six).

We have around that now. So sKeith and partyjungle you're both in, but I'll have to close it there.

Sorry for the limit, but beyond this exceeds what one DM can manage in my experience. Otherwise the party as a whole gets too strong and PC-NPC interactions take ages. Although I might be wrong, so this open to revision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

All I want is an axe. The rest can be pooled amongst the rest of us. If I don't get an axe I'll get cranky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Ekbard Ravenseye thanks you, kind DM.

Necrominus wrote: »
    All I want is an axe. The rest can be pooled amongst the rest of us. If I don't get an axe I'll get cranky...

I know you don't *have* to, but for the good of the rest of the team please get some pants as well. We are wall to wall with lust, and there isn't a field on the form for orientation, so this is as much for your protection as ours.

I know you don't *have* to, but for the good of the rest of the team please get some pants as well. We are wall to wall with lust, and there isn't a field on the form for orientation, so this is as much for your protection as ours.

This is a pants wearing fellowship? I'm out.

:pac::pac:

So *THAT'S* why they were called the Fellowship of the Ring! :O

I can never watch that trilogy again... :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

You could wear a nice flowy dress, but that may confuse things further.

As a compromise at least put on a kilt.

You could wear a nice flowy dress, but that may confuse things further.

As a compromise at least put on a kilt.

A kilt I can live with. My cousins the Bandyknees were from that area of the world or so my mother told me (perhaps it was the voices in my head but that's another tale for later).

I'll be wearing a dress long enough at the end of the month thanks!

If we can have 2 fighters in our group, here is one I rolled yesterday.

Ekbard Ravinseye the Level 1 Fighter
    STR: 16
    DEX: 10
    CON: 13
    INT: 12
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 10

Fourier wrote: »
    Basic D&D has a higher reasonable player limit than most RPGs, essentially ten. (most RPGs, it's four to six).

We have around that now. So sKeith and partyjungle you're both in, but I'll have to close it there.

Sorry for the limit, but beyond this exceeds what one DM can manage in my experience. Otherwise the party as a whole gets too strong and PC-NPC interactions take ages. Although I might be wrong, so this open to revision.

It's not a bad complaint to have to be overprescribed for a game but I totally see where you're coming from.
    If this goes well there could be an opportunity to get a waiting list set up for future games (we obviously could share GM'ing duties)
    sKeith wrote: »
    Ekbard Ravenseye thanks you, kind DM.

Welcome aboard soldier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If this goes well there could be an opportunity to get a waiting list set up for future games (we obviously could share GM'ing duties)

I think it was you said it a few days ago, but this could be a great test run to actually push for a dedicated sub-forum, ala Werewolf. There are so many RPG games out there that we could have multiple groups running multiple campaigns, rather than cramming everyone into one game.

Should be a really fun test run :)

It's not a bad complaint to have to be overprescribed for a game but I totally see where you're coming from.
    Definitely! This went much better than I thought.

Let me emphasise that this is simply a limit on this game, not my capacity. Depending on how easy I find this, I'll be opening a thread for another game in a month or so.

How many turns are there in an average game?

I rolled Ilberic Goodenough the Veteran Halfling

STR: 13
    DEX: 16
    CON: 15
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 12

Are those numbers kinda high?

Goodenough :pac:

I rolled Ilberic Goodenough the Veteran Halfling

STR: 13
    DEX: 16
    CON: 15
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 12

Are those numbers kinda high?

Goodenough :pac:

Not sure for a halfling but your total score should add up to 63 I think.
    Hmm actually is mine the only one that does add up to 63?

• Advertisement

Not sure for a halfling but your total score should add up to 63 I think.
    Hmm actually is mine the only one that does add up to 63?

Mine do :D:D

Advertisement