Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster Hunter World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I'm using the switch axe. Level 3 bone version. I always get the tail first. It's when he retreats to his lair. He'll roar to stun me, set me on fire by turning past me, then kill me as my health wittles.
    I have beat him a few times, but I'm having much less trouble with later monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

derfderf wrote: »
    I'm using the switch axe. Level 3 bone version. I always get the tail first. It's when he retreats to his lair. He'll roar to stun me, set me on fire by turning past me, then kill me as my health wittles.
    I have beat him a few times, but I'm having much less trouble with later monsters.

I think it’s that he’s just imposing. He’s your stereotypical big ass dinosaur.

I beat paolumo without any hassle last night. I’m taking the main story really slowly. Leveling up through investigations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Thing with Anjanath is hes so tall and his weak spots are often out of reach, unless you know his moveset and when he lowers his head. But working on his legs is a sound strategy, even it does less damage than hitting his head you will topple him over eventually.

Another thing you can do when they run back to their lair to sleep is capture them. Throw 2 tranq bombs in their face while they sleep then drop a shock or pitfall trap ontop of them and you win. This way you don't have to fight them in an enraged state after you wake them, and you get bonus materials for the capture + possible new quests being unlocked + possibly getting Green Point bonus from the Capture science guy back at HQ

And there we have it, game cleared. Final boss was a total slog, thought i was gonna run out of time at one stage. Or he has a mechanic where you gotta attack him in a certain place to get the kill. Not sure since i did hit him there with the final hit and wasn't sure if it was by chance or intended.

Killed a Tempered Pukei, Bagelgoose and Radobaan. Didn't feel like they where that much harder. I think this game gives you to much mobility compared to the speed of the monsters. There's so much room for you to run from a monster and wait for the right time to drink a potion or whatever, unlike Dark Souls. But i suppose it never tried to be like Dark Souls. My own fault for believing the hype about how difficult MH games where.

Nonetheless a great game. Gonna try some online now versus the tempered monsters

And there we have it, game cleared. Final boss was a total slog, thought i was gonna run out of time at one stage. Or he has a mechanic where you gotta attack him in a certain place to get the kill. Not sure since i did hit him there with the final hit and wasn't sure if it was by chance or intended.

Killed a Tempered Pukei, Bagelgoose and Radobaan. Didn't feel like they where that much harder. I think this game gives you to much mobility compared to the speed of the monsters. There's so much room for you to run from a monster and wait for the right time to drink a potion or whatever, unlike Dark Souls. But i suppose it never tried to be like Dark Souls. My own fault for believing the hype about how difficult MH games where.

Nonetheless a great game. Gonna try some online now versus the tempered monsters

Fair play, how many hours overall?

Did you take it slow, doing the optional stuff or straight through the campaign?

• Advertisement

Fair play, how many hours overall?

Did you take it slow, doing the optional stuff or straight through the campaign?

90 hours. I took it slow but played alot....if that makes sense. I completed the first 6 optional quest levels with only 2 levels left, both of which are HR. One thing I still need to work on are those quests that are got from the field researchers. I know there is a bunch I didn't do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm at nergante now, had my first attempt last night, gave him a whooping but he got me in the end, his attacks can be hard to get away from, ill get him next time though..

I have a load of optional quests to get through to and i havent found any of them other monster/s whose tracks i keep finding.. do their tracks reset everytime you zone out?

Also, has anybody used the bow at all? I really wanna try a ranged weapon next but slow and clunky like the heavy gun bow wont do it for me, i predict the bow is fast to move with but suspect killing anything with it would be a long slog?

nix wrote: »
    I'm at nergante now, had my first attempt last night, gave him a whooping but he got me in the end, his attacks can be hard to get away from, ill get him next time though..

I have a load of optional quests to get through to and i havent found any of them other monster/s whose tracks i keep finding.. do their tracks reset everytime you zone out?

Also, has anybody used the bow at all? I really wanna try a ranged weapon next but slow and clunky like the heavy gun bow wont do it for me, i predict the bow is fast to move with but suspect killing anything with it would be a long slog?

Depends on the tracks. Windswept Gashes, Charred Fur and Tainted Flesh are all Elder Dragons. You can't find them naturally in a zone but keep collecting their tracks while your out and about cause you get quests to track them similar to the Nergigante tracking quest, Its retroactive. Then you get quests to fight each one.

The optional quests open up more slots for the Ancient Tree, more food items for the canteen and new mantle suits. But some are just quests with no rewards other than the skins of the monster you slay

Depends on the tracks. Windswept Gashes, Charred Fur and Tainted Flesh are all Elder Dragons. You can't find them naturally in a zone but keep collecting their tracks while your out and about cause you get quests to track them similar to the Nergigante tracking quest, Its retroactive. Then you get quests to fight each one.

The optional quests open up more slots for the Ancient Tree, more food items for the canteen and new mantle suits. But some are just quests with no rewards other than the skins of the monster you slay

Ahh cool, i was thinking the elder dragons would be one for each zone, ill keep chipping away, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Woah... woah... woah... WOAH!

Final boss? You mean there's another Elder Dragon after the dynamic trio??? I've just slain one of said trio which took me 20 minutes, would've been a bit sooner had the f*ck*ng c*nt not one shot me at the 17 minute mark!

Plus side: took me 5 minutes quicker than Nergigante.
    Con side: mutha-f*cka one shot me when I was on full health wearing mostly Rathalos (normal and azure) armour to give me Mind's Eye and Odogaron's chest for speed sharpening.

Anyways one more elder dragon?? Awesome! #Nerdgasm

• Advertisement

90 hours. I took it slow but played alot....if that makes sense. I completed the first 6 optional quest levels with only 2 levels left, both of which are HR. One thing I still need to work on are those quests that are got from the field researchers. I know there is a bunch I didn't do

90 hours eh. Now that’s value for money folks. I assumed it’d take me about 100 hours. I’m 24 hrs in now at this point. Just don’t have the time to it as much as I’d like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

90 hours eh. Now that’s value for money folks. I assumed it’d take me about 100 hours. I’m 24 hrs in now at this point. Just don’t have the time to it as much as I’d like.

It should take about 110 hours to complete it fully going on a normal pace.

No doubt there is alot of content in the game. Post game content is pretty much gearing gearing and min-maxing as much as you can to face the strongest tempered elder dragons. Seems like a huge time investment for a completionist. Not sure i'd be up for it but ill definitely play it some more

Game was frustrating as hell today. Fought the final boss alot for farm and hes super annoying to fight with a Gunlance. Then i was swapping up and trying new weapons and i wasn't happy with any of them and that annoyed me :pac: Think ill take a day or two off from playing

Xenji wrote: »
    It should take about 110 hours to complete it fully going on a normal pace.

****. I’ll be about 150 hours then I’d say. I feel like I’m only dipping my toe in it right now. I’ll get there over the coming months though.

My problem is it’s competing life first and foremost ie wife, kids, job etc and then of course other current games like Gran Turismo and to a lesser extent Tekken for my limited time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bought this and played it for 3 hours. Hated it and put it back in it's box. CeX were giving 45 cash for it.

Then I had some time to kill Saturday night. Now loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am mostly bow hunter now, started with the charge blade and still have 2 rarity 6 ones if the team needs to mix it up. Bows can be hard to use as you have no shield and when on your own with no one to distract monsters it can be very very tough....so the right gear is essential.

So I recommend having 2 good weapon classes you can use and are good at, I currently have 3 as I adore the hammers (nothing beats pounding the head with a huge hammer combo) and the bows and then the blades for ****s and giggles.

Currently rank 15 and grinding the Nergigante for some stuff I need.....dont forget to buy the armour charm and the power charm and upgrade them with the B52 talon and then buy them again. You get a flat 30-40 attack and defense just carrying them in your pouch!!! Its a no brainer and will only cost you about 120Kz

hmm could I climb that.

Damn you monster hunter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

That final boss... omg.

Hunting 4 elder dragons in a row is tough going..... Each one took me almost the exact same amount of time (20 - 24 minutes).

I am in desperate need of a drink now!!

jaxxx wrote: »
    That final boss... omg.

Hunting 4 elder dragons in a row is tough going..... Each one took me almost the exact same amount of time (20 - 24 minutes).

I am in desperate need of a drink now!!

Yeah i just slayed
    Kushala daora
    , kicked the living **** out of him, but man can he take a beating. He also has a habit of constantly flying and slowing down your attack with constant knockback/wind. fight took 30mins, id say 20mins was of me stumbling about with the tornados everywhere..

• Advertisement

Just discovered there are arena quests in the gathering hub area. They set you versus multiple monsters with preset gear loadouts for that extra challenge. Seems like it might be fun. Also seems like it's aimed at multiplayer groups as there is no Pakico when solo

Aaaaaand, finished. Bloody great game, i might take a break for now, get stuck back in when i get my internet up and running for some online mingling.

Or i might platinum first... ill see how far off i am, if its a crazy grind fest ill leave it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i am at the part to fight diablos i keep getting killed >_< i need to take time and contemplate the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

A question for the vets. I have something like 130 investigations i can register, but they're all 2 and 3 star. How do you unlock higher investigations for grinding?

derfderf wrote: »
    A question for the vets. I have something like 130 investigations i can register, but they're all 2 and 3 star. How do you unlock higher investigations for grinding?

They should just come in automatically, make sure your investigation log isnt full, you can only hold like 21 pages of investigations. There should be a count down the bottom right corner. Delete a few pages if its over 20 pages long, they should start flowing in after your next mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

They nerfed slicing ammo........ :(

They nerfed slicing ammo........ :(

Good, slicing ammo being OP is the reason i stopped playing the HBG and went to Gunlance. What i found beautiful about the guns was that there was an ammo type for each occasion, until i realized slicing did everything all the other ammo could do and more. I want options, i want variety!

They buffed the elemental and normal shots which was sorely needed, but i wonder is it enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I hate diablos and want to put my fist through my ps4

So ok Rathalos is scary as **** and to he’s a pure **** to beat. I give up for the night. Pain in me hole he is.

• Advertisement

So ok Rathalos is scary as **** and to he’s a pure **** to beat. I give up for the night. Pain in me hole he is.

Fighting a flying monster? Flash Pods are so strong against them! Against Rathian not so much because she spends so much time on the ground

Advertisement