Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster Hunter World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There are submenus for the menus, its all a bit mad but I can see why its there.

Your weapons evolve, there are no levels for you and you dont gain any skills. Everything that is better about you is via your weapons and potions. I do like that but I have to murder Godzilla to get a cool looking hat and sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

RopeDrink wrote: »
    In that case it's probably not for me. If I wanted to scratch that itch I'd go back to Destiny/Warframe etc so I figure I'll hold onto my 50-70 squid. Might check it out in future, though. Reminds me to go check the FFXIV MHunter event seeing as it's a cross-promo.

MY mate is a massive destiny fan , his words were " why couldnt destiny do this" it's a class game, about 20 hours gets you through the story line

The servers are ****ing horrible, cant count the amount of times im mid way through a 4 person hunt and then bam disconnect

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong - I am simply questioning if it's for me. It'd be worth mentioning that my previous comment isn't meant to imply I'm a big fan of those other games, either, so MHW doing it better than those doesn't mean too much in that context :pac: Destiny 2 was fun for about a day and then I dropped it like a hot-sput. Warframe I like in small doses - and by that I mean once every couple of months - I hate its progression system. If MHW is in a similar vein, even if it does it better than the others, then chances are it'd be a dud-move pumping 50-70 quid into it as it'd probably lose me. I have no issue with shooters or hunting as concepts, but I'd liked something different. Let's just put it down to RPG syndrome or something.

I figured I'd ask for some 2cents - can't be bothered with full-on reviews going off on tangents and waffle, just here to grab some small details to give me enough indication. Thus far I believe it's best I just wait and do some research later, likely when it's cheaper. At no point do I doubt that it is probably 'good' or 'fun' etc, but again, whether it is for me is a different story. I spent my youth impulse buying for less ;)

Destiny and Warframe are nothing like Monster Hunter series.
    MH games are more of a Dark souls boss battle game with a stupid amount of gear customisation. It rewards players with skills and is very satisfying game if you like games where you work towards your goals.

Saying that, I started playing it again and Behemoth can suck a bag of dicks. I just nerd rage quit by just turning off console. Its not that his mechanics are hard, it is just surrounded by stun lock bull****.
    Only did the repeal quest and failed so many times when I try to kill it with group. His 360 move is a load of ****. A one shot attack that you cant even predict coming.

I need alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I've actually referred to MHW as "Destiny: Only Bosses"
    I've put 2400 hours into Destiny 1 and 2 in 4 years.
    I put almost 200 hours into MHW in ~2 months.
    So make of that what you will.
    I throughly enjoyed it, and if the end game Jewels had a decent drop chance I'd probably still be playing occasionally.
    Got burned out on the grind. Hope they have either already patched that, or will do.
    It creates the wrong sort of elitism/time-to-reward system.

• Advertisement

I decided to go in and do Behemoth again. Changed up my gear a bit and off I went. Failed so many times, but finally, finally I got my first kill of it! It felt sooooooo good!!!

Now as much as I hate the bastard, I have to admit. Its one of the best, if not best hunt in MHW. They managed to do an mmorpg style boss fight, but actually fun, hard and very satisfying!!!
    Its even better, when I can use my lance again and be very important part of the hunt. It is even more satisfying when other team mates understand the mechanics and do it right.
    I would stick to Behemoth face and poke it as much as I can until it just goes Ham on my arse. Then bunker up with my massive shield and pray to spaghetti monster! While bastard just constantly battering me, it gives an oppening for my team to open up. I could almost cry, when I sow team using wide range to heal me up, to compensate for damage slipping in through my guard!!! We all knew what we were doing without even saying a thing to each other! Such feel of awesomeness last time I felt was in Burning Crusade Karazan with my fellow guildies and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

It really is an amazing fight. I played 100% solo bar Behemoth, Kulve and Xenojiva. They really nailed the MMO type fight and id love to see more fights going forward with similar mechanics. A Bahamut fight would be glorious.

On the last post i put here i was complaining about randoms dying even though i was playing the healer, only to go ahead and get 3 kills back to back with a bunch of Chinese and Japanese lads and getting the materials to build all the new gear. The tank for one of the fights was using the Glutton Heavybowgun and it was the best tank i had. He was shotgunning Behemoth right in the face while tanking everything with the HBG shield.

I think the reason the fight is so good, not only because everyone having a role is kinda important, but the fact that Behemoth feels dangerous even after you learn the moveset. I fought AT Teostra the day it was released and i killed it on my first attempt without carting once. How do they fix something like that?

Anyway, Behemoth is worth coming back for!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Struggling with a Rathian lads......

Perspective :D

Its kinda broken on steam with online play.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Struggling with a Rathian lads......

Perspective :D

Its kinda broken on steam with online play.

What's your I'd and I can try and help tonight if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How much of this game is fighting a monsters big toe? I'm tempted to buy this but it looks a touch too Japan mmo visual style and also a bit of the aul previously mentioned monster so big I just hit it's foot for 20 minutes until it dies.

• Advertisement

How much of this game is fighting a monsters big toe? I'm tempted to buy this but it looks a touch too Japan mmo visual style and also a bit of the aul previously mentioned monster so big I just hit it's foot for 20 minutes until it dies.

Depends on the weapon you use and the monster you're fighting. There are probably 3 monsters in the game that are so massive you end up attacking their limbs mostly. Outside of ranged weapons Sword and Shield and Dual Blades would have the most trouble hitting anything other than legs, but there are options there for sure

How playable is this with keyboard and mouse? I'm not a big controller fan.

Depends on the weapon you use and the monster you're fighting. There are probably 3 monsters in the game that are so massive you end up attacking their limbs mostly. Outside of ranged weapons Sword and Shield and Dual Blades would have the most trouble hitting anything other than legs, but there are options there for sure
    Jumping and sliding are your friend as a dual blade user

How does lock on work in this game (on pc)? Trying to use the bow and it just fires all over the place and is not fun to use in any way. I tried the 'lock' button but that does fook all or is bow something that works better with an analogue stick/ better once I know the game more?

How does lock on work in this game (on pc)? Trying to use the bow and it just fires all over the place and is not fun to use in any way. I tried the 'lock' button but that does fook all or is bow something that works better with an analogue stick/ better once I know the game more?

Bow feels fine on the pad. Like any other shooter on console. Didn't buy the game on PC but the lock function is mostly used on console to keep track of the monster if it gets behind you so you can quickly snap to it, pretty sure it's not ment to be used as a kind of lock on function. I rarely used it on PS4, I think it's a relic of the older games where they didn't have any kind of free look with a right analogue stick.

Seen a couple of streams play a bowgun using a mouse and it worked as you would expect it to, aim with mouse and shoot with LMB

I haven't used bow much but it has 2 main attacks. A 3 string arrow attack and a shotgun blast style attack. Pretty sure the bow also lacks recoil when compared to the guns. Maybe you are using the shotgun blast and that's why it feels like it going all over the place?

Bow feels fine on the pad. Like any other shooter on console. Didn't buy the game on PC but the lock function is mostly used on console to keep track of the monster if it gets behind you so you can quickly snap to it, pretty sure it's not ment to be used as a kind of lock on function. I rarely used it on PS4, I think it's a relic of the older games where they didn't have any kind of free look with a right analogue stick.

Seen a couple of streams play a bowgun using a mouse and it worked as you would expect it to, aim with mouse and shoot with LMB

I haven't used bow much but it has 2 main attacks. A 3 string arrow attack and a shotgun blast style attack. Pretty sure the bow also lacks recoil when compared to the guns. Maybe you are using the shotgun blast and that's why it feels like it going all over the place?

Bit of a long reply here.....So, I hadn't played much when I posted the above and only did the very first mission to cull Jageras or whatever they're called and 'lock on' was all over the place. I've since killed the great Jagera or whatever the first proper monster is and lock on worked as expected ie camera stayed on the monster and aiming was easier although it should be noted I'd switched to the giant katana at this stage.

During the great jagera fight the smaller fellas showed up again and here lock on goes to sh*t again. I tried to switch focus to the smaller ones to mop them up quickly and the camera won't focus on just one, it jumps all over the place. It's was almost like it was assuming the small guys were one entity and jumping about them rather than focusing on the one little guy I wanted.

Finally I think I also need to tweak the controls which is half the issue. On the pc V is the button to aim the bow. Who the hell thought that was a good button for aim on a WASD setup? That's not even trying like...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

im about 10 hours in now (PC version) and i have to say i don't know what all the hype is about. the game looks great, that's about it.

the story and voice acting is awful, as bad as you'll find in a game. the combat is clunky and really limited, very little possible combos. you're mostly just mashing one or two buttons and rolling around. it's like a very dumbed down version of dark souls combat. mouse and keyboard are doable just about, the camera is awful you need to mess about with settings to get it working especially if you want to use the bow.

the inventories and menu system are an awful design. the armour system is needlessly complicated and confusing. even though the armour itself is very basic. mostly every armour piece has just a single trait you want like water or fire resistance. it seems to be literally as deep as that. and finally the multiplayer/co-op system is the most overcomplicated piece of trash i have ever seen in a game. good luck getting 4 players together to do that hard mission is all i can say.

the monsters are cool.

overall? i'd give it a 6/10 and that's being generous. i'd love to see what the reviewers would say if it wasn't a long standing series with a big publisher behind it. if this was a 20 quid game from an indie developer this game would be getting trashed all over the place.

froog wrote: »
    im about 10 hours in now (PC version) and i have to say i don't know what all the hype is about. the game looks great, that's about it.

the story and voice acting is awful, as bad as you'll find in a game. the combat is clunky and really limited, very little possible combos. you're mostly just mashing one or two buttons and rolling around. it's like a very dumbed down version of dark souls combat. mouse and keyboard are doable just about, the camera is awful you need to mess about with settings to get it working especially if you want to use the bow.

the inventories and menu system are an awful design. the armour system is needlessly complicated and confusing. even though the armour itself is very basic. mostly every armour piece has just a single trait you want like water or fire resistance. it seems to be literally as deep as that. and finally the multiplayer/co-op system is the most overcomplicated piece of trash i have ever seen in a game. good luck getting 4 players together to do that hard mission is all i can say.

the monsters are cool.

overall? i'd give it a 6/10 and that's being generous. i'd love to see what the reviewers would say if it wasn't a long standing series with a big publisher behind it. if this was a 20 quid game from an indie developer this game would be getting trashed all over the place.

I've only played a tiiiiny bit so far but I unfortunately think I've wasted my money as well. The dialogue is the usual cheeseball Asian guff and the combat has been completely underwhelming and totally janky. Having said that I've promised I'd finish Prey (fantastic game) before actually getting my teeth into the game and I've just been distracted by the free For Honor which has been great fun so far so I haven't given it a good whirl just yet.

I've only played a tiiiiny bit so far but I unfortunately think I've wasted my money as well. The dialogue is the usual cheeseball Asian guff and the combat has been completely underwhelming and totally janky. Having said that I've promised I'd finish Prey (fantastic game) before actually getting my teeth into the game and I've just been distracted by the free For Honor which has been great fun so far so I haven't given it a good whirl just yet.
    The armour you make b set. Then you can slot gems into it which give you other stuff you want, aka oh I have level 7 attack boost with a level 3 that lets me do 50 percent more damage to crit areas. You can customise the feck out of it. End game you get tempered elder dragons which let you customise weapons. **** I've seen builds where the palico solos tempered elder dragons. I'm 109 hours in Mr is like 65 or so and I'm still loving it are you playing solo or with people??,

The armour you make b set. Then you can slot gems into it which give you other stuff you want, aka oh I have level 7 attack boost with a level 3 that lets me do 50 percent more damage to crit areas. You can customise the feck out of it. End game you get tempered elder dragons which let you customise weapons. **** I've seen builds where the palico solos tempered elder dragons. I'm 109 hours in Mr is like 65 or so and I'm still loving it are you playing solo or with people??,

Hes 10 hours in, he's still pretty much in the tutorial

• Advertisement

is the combat different later on?

is the combat different later on?

The combat in MH games is easy to pick up, but hard to master. Each monster is unique in its own style trying to eat you. If you think that first easy monsters are definition of MH, then you are very mistaken.

I always said that MH games are not for everyone. Even if MHW is the friendliest to new comers, its still MH game, which will challange you and reward you.

The complaint about gear I heard before is a bit silly. Its waaay easier and less complicated that any other MH game before. Doing mix sets is a lot easier too. So many ways of building your gear in MHW.

One way or another, there is a reason why capcom is printing money with MHW. Its a great game. On the other side, its impossible to appeal to everyone.

The combat in MH games is easy to pick up, but hard to master. Each monster is unique in its own style trying to eat you. If you think that first easy monsters are definition of MH, then you are very mistaken.

I always said that MH games are not for everyone. Even if MHW is the friendliest to new comers, its still MH game, which will challange you and reward you.

The complaint about gear I heard before is a bit silly. Its waaay easier and less complicated that any other MH game before. Doing mix sets is a lot easier too. So many ways of building your gear in MHW.

One way or another, there is a reason why capcom is printing money with MHW. Its a great game. On the other side, its impossible to appeal to everyone.

so far every fight is the exact same;

1. find out which of the four elements it is weak to
    2. get that damage type on your weapon
    3. spam simple attack combos (mostly just two buttons), aim for the head
    4. occasionally roll dodge

repeat for 10-20 minutes

does it change later in the game? i've done about 10 monsters so far.

Absolutely abused the **** out of that 9* event mission. Me and 3 lads have it down to running it in 3:27

repeat for 10-20 minutes

Stop bad mouthing dark souls!

repeat for 10-20 minutes

update: i've given it another 6 or so hours, finally figured out that everyone is using SOS for multiplayer (this needs to be fixed, i came across this knowledge by complete accident on some forum) and had some fun taking down legiana, the rocky dude and one of the forest big dragons in groups. still getting my head around armour, when exactly you get the various bonuses etc and the investigation/bounty system is still a bit of a mystery. the coop fights were easy mode compared to solo.

i'll keep going.

update: i've given it another 6 or so hours, finally figured out that everyone is using SOS for multiplayer (this needs to be fixed, i came across this knowledge by complete accident on some forum) and had some fun taking down legiana, the rocky dude and one of the forest big dragons in groups. still getting my head around armour, when exactly you get the various bonuses etc and the investigation/bounty system is still a bit of a mystery. the coop fights were easy mode compared to solo.

i'll keep going.
    Press I think it is select when you are looking at your character, go to bonuses and if you scroll down in the middle of the window it will tell you the conditions they need to proc

You need to get to High Rank before the armour system really comes into play. I think high rank starts when you pull Pink Rathian, or it could be the Zorah Magdaros fight, I forget.

Also what weapon are you using. I know the game should be fun with all weapons but stuff like the dual blades and bow are super basic.

Where stuff like the glaive, switch axe and charge blade are more complex and have more options move wise. And are more fun to use imo Ofcourse you could get through the whole game using only 1 attack button on any given weapon. Loom at Dark Souls. Get a longsword and use R1 and roll. Easy

How are people doing against kulve taroth!? Pulling all the best weapons except for dual blades.... Aka my weapon of choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Picked up the controller for the first time since July. Took me 10 minutes to kill a simple Teo. Super super rusty. Fought Luna for the first time ever and got shredded by her, barely able to repel her. Put down controller again. Tempted to pick up Generations Ultimate to get back into what is essentially the 'real monster hunter', although lacking some quality of life improvements brought in by World. That huge roster is drawing me in, especially hunting my old buddies Lagiacrus, Zinogre and Barioth again. I do wish Ivory Lagiacrus was in the game as well as Stygian Zinogre... Discovered that azure rathalos and pink rathian aren't so that's a major blow, even with rathalos and rathian's deviant forms available, as well as silver and gold respectively.

Advertisement