Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gonna be a at least another 9 months before it is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Xenji wrote: »
    Gonna be a at least another 9 months before it is out.

As cool as this is and as excited i am for it, the drip feed of content for this game is really bad. Nearly 2 years for an expansion, far to long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

As cool as this is and as excited i am for it, the drip feed of content for this game is really bad. Nearly 2 years for an expansion, far to long

??? The game has been out for 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

??? The game has been out for 11 months.

Yesh but as per the trailer, the expansion itself isnt out until Autumn 2019, which will make it nearly 2 years.

I myself however dont mind the wait, and i havent played the game since i rinsed it when it first came out. I havent hunted any of the added monsters after release, which they seemed to add pretty frequently. So its not like they have been doing **** all in between this 2 year wait..

I'm actually intrigued to go back to it as i loved it and have only played offline as i didnt have net at the time it was released. Whats stopping me is ill have to relearn alot of ****. I'm also kind of tempted to just get it on PC and hopefully convince some friends to try it out and join me restarting the journey :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

nix wrote: »
    Yesh but as per the trailer, the expansion itself isnt out until Autumn 2019, which will make it nearly 2 years.

I myself however dont mind the wait, and i havent played the game since i rinsed it when it first came out. I havent hunted any of the added monsters after release, which they seemed to add pretty frequently. So its not like they have been doing **** all in between this 2 year wait..

I'm actually intrigued to go back to it as i loved it and have only played offline as i didnt have net at the time it was released. Whats stopping me is ill have to relearn alot of ****. I'm also kind of tempted to just get it on PC and hopefully convince some friends to try it out and join me restarting the journey :pac::D

ive it on pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ive it on pc

You could be waiting even longer then for it to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Digi Deluxe edition is on sale for €29.99 on psn now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also got an email from Sony today about a 5 day free trial starting today.
    Monster Hunter: World™ Free Trial 12–17 December

It’s time to join the hunt.

Explore the New World and battle gigantic monsters, take them down and create stronger weapons and armour to hunt even more dangerous monsters.

Will you play as a lone warrior or with a squad of fellow hunters to take on harder challenges?

Head to PlayStation™Store to download now and play the free trial between 12–17 December.

Been meaning to get this, so tempted to try it out to see if its my cup of tea. But have a lot of other games pressing me for time right now! Stupid linear progression of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also got an email from Sony today about a 5 day free trial starting today.

Been meaning to get this, so tempted to try it out to see if its my cup of tea. But have a lot of other games pressing me for time right now! Stupid linear progression of time...

well worth trying out,as its not everyones cup of tea,and 5 days of a trial is a nce stretch of the game too..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I picked this up on PC, played an hour or so and its a slow starter for sure.
    I bought it because i love loot/grind games.
    Any tips for a noob ?
    Also i cant decide on whether to use mouse and KB or control pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    I picked this up on PC, played an hour or so and its a slow starter for sure.
    I bought it because i love loot/grind games.
    Any tips for a noob ?
    Also i cant decide on whether to use mouse and KB or control pad?

I don't know how well it works with m+k, but MH games were always like Dark souls games. Better with controllers.

First of all, go and test all weapon types and find the one you like most. Theb try to master it. Some weapons are better for particular monsters, but if you master a weapon, you can kill anything.
    A lot of new players do a mistake of taking Great sword as their first weapon. Yes, it looks cool, but it is hard to master.
    Pick up as much crap during your hunts even if you dont need it now. Stacking up on crap always good idea.
    Try to finish game solo first and then do multiplayer. You won't learn and be a good hunter if you dont know how to put down a monster yourself.
    Dont go mad on sets in low rank. Just make yourself a decent defence, health set, while you learning. When you get better, you can sacrifice survivability for more pew pew.
    Eat, before going for a hunt. Its pretty much a must. Its free stats that do help a lot.

Yeah id say the long sword and switch axe are great for getting to grips with the early game. Then swap to the heavy hitters (if you want) as i found them most rewarding, especially with the likes of the great sword, nothing better than landing a perfectly timed combo onto a monsters head. Apart from seeing the big damage numbers, you can really tell you just knocked the fear of god into the massive monster as it squirms to the ground in pain :mad::pac:

Started with the controller but gravitated to mouse & kb after trying these keybinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

3rd person means gamepad for me find no issue with the controls as they are tbh.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

lol why? Final fantasy XIV and the witcher are crossovers which make sense in MHW, as you also hunt monsters/beasts in those games.

Why AC? Gonna hunt an elephant or a boar? :confused:

Feels like for this game Capcom really wanted to appeal to the western market, so they doubled down and stuck in DLC for the most popular games in the west.

Can't wait for the Fortnite, Call of Duty and Hearthstone collabs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

nix wrote:
    lol why? Final fantasy XIV and the witcher are crossovers which make sense in MHW, as you also hunt monsters/beasts in those games.

You kinda are killing mythical beasts in Assassins Creed now. There was Megaman & Street Fighter costumes too.

Bought this again on PC and finding it hard to keep it at a steady 60 FPS. I tried rolling back to the holy grail driver 397 that the internet seems to be talking about but it makes performance worse. Volumetric smoke seems to be the only setting that affect the FPS, everything else doesn't budge the FPS count. There must be some trick I'm missing here

Anyone got any ideas?

i7 4790k

-Edit- Oh, turns out the game is a massive CPU hog. CPU running at close to 90% the whole time while the GPU struggles to hit 8%? Hah

• Advertisement

Volume rendering quality is the biggest impact i hear,also it makes the game look overly processed with a much cleaner image when turned off.
    Im getting a solid 144fps @ 1440P, locked to 144 with afterburner.
    8600K @ 4.5ghz and 1080TI.

Great game once i clicked with it.
    Im getting old school wow vibes from it, only about 20 hours played and that is mostly doing some story quests and optional ones to try out the weapons.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all these items I have.

During exploration I've a few times found a new item, only to be told I have to swap something else out for it.
    Should I sell items to free up space?
    ...followup, where do I sell them?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all these items I have.

During exploration I've a few times found a new item, only to be told I have to swap something else out for it.
    Should I sell items to free up space?
    ...followup, where do I sell them?

What items. When you spawn in to the right someone is on a box, that's the shop. Buy power and armour talons also.

Edit also you can store them all in the chest and access them in mission from camp tent as you need them

What items. When you spawn in to the right someone is on a box, that's the shop. Buy power and armour talons also.

Edit also you can store them all in the chest and access them in mission from camp tent as you need them

Nah it was items I picked up during exploration or whatever.
    Weird how you need to go to an item box in the hub world to remove them from carryable inventory instead of being able to do it in the field.

When you are heading out on a quest or assignment etc select a default loadout from the item box before you leave astera that way it gives you the bare minimum and plenty of room for items along thew way.

So i really got stuck into this over the Christmas on PC and played a stupid amount.
    Instead of pushing past the beginning of High Rank monsters ive stopped at Negregante and focused on getting 5 or 6 weapons up to early High Rank level [by farming mats for them usually involving the first few high rank monsters]as i still cant decide on what weapon to use for my first full playthrough.
    Its the whole class swapping syndrome and alt-aholic ive had with MMO games for the last 15 years lol.
    Any weapons you guys are favouring at the moment?

Dcully wrote: »
    So i really got stuck into this over the Christmas on PC and played a stupid amount.
    Instead of pushing past the beginning of High Rank monsters ive stopped at Negregante and focused on getting 5 or 6 weapons up to early High Rank level [by farming mats for them usually involving the first few high rank monsters]as i still cant decide on what weapon to use for my first full playthrough.
    Its the whole class swapping syndrome and alt-aholic ive had with MMO games for the last 15 years lol.
    Any weapons you guys are favouring at the moment?
    Depends on your playstyle. I prefer dual blades and bows tbj

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Charge Blade has been my favourite since it was introduced. It was a little OP at the start, but think they knocked it down a bit in later patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm really trying to get into it but finding that hard to do.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'm really trying to get into it but finding that hard to do.

Once it clicks your fecked :P

I found the first couple of hours a pain,how long have you played so far?

The Charge Blade has been my favourite since it was introduced. It was a little OP at the start, but think they knocked it down a bit in later patches.

I find im gravitating towards the charge blade too, complicated but rewarding.

Advertisement