Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Backlog Completionist Diary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

COMPLETED
    Alien Isolation DLC - Last Survivor + Crew Expendable (Rift) - I'm currently in the middle of completing Alien Isolation in VR on my Rift. Truly the ONLY way to play this game is in VR. It's slow-going to I thought I'd take some time out to close off 2 of the DLC packs which are essentially mini-games and on the backlog too.

Alien Isolation is superb btw, and terrifying.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 39

COMPLETED
    Alien Isolation (Rift) - Took 33 hours but I got there in the end!! Epic game... despite being Xbox controller-based VR and being a sit-down experience, it still ranks as one of the best VR games I've played.

Ironically I've had this game since March 2015, so exactly 4 years later it's finally done.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 40

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bards Tale 3 completed.

I first bought and started playing this in July 1991 and was stopped by one of the disks dying, as it came on three floppys for the Amiga.

It's taken 28 years, but I've now finished it, albeit as the remaster in PC.

Congrats :)

I'll get to some of my SNES games eventually too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Good list there Mr cheez. How do find the time to complete so many things!?

• Advertisement

Good list there Mr cheez. How do find the time to complete so many things!?

It's hard, but you really have to dedicate time to it, and stick with one game and not get sidetracked, while also living a normally healthy life and not be stuck to the screen all the time!

Probably helps I don't have kids too :)

COMPLETED
    Dear Esther (PS4) - Walking sim, enjoyable but not quite up there with Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. I'm still trying to figure out the full story (must check out Wikipedia...)

Total cleared off backlog so far: 41

Haven't done a "tried but not bothering with again" in a while, but...

TRIED BUT NOT BOTHERING WITH AGAIN
    Subnautica (Rift) - Not sure what the hell I'm supposed to do here, beyond just continually collect resources, and build stuff... really not my type of game. The VR diving experience was pretty realistic, but really I've lost interest and won't be touching that one again.

I got it for free so no real loss.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 42

COMPLETED
    Apex Construct (Rift) - Okay-ish game, really let down by the wire on the VR headset as you are constantly twisting around to shoot enemies behind you. The good thing is that I get a free copy for the wireless Oculus Quest VR headset when it comes out next month as they have cross-buy with Rift, so I'm gonna assume it's much better on that.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 43

COMPLETED
    Vader Immortal (Oculus Quest) - Short experience, but pretty much the most immersed Ive ever been in a Star Wars game. No wires means no more VR tangles.

Flailing a light saber never felt so good!

Total cleared off backlog so far: 44

• Advertisement

COMPLETED

1) In Death (Rift) - My most addictive game on any platform, bar none. I've sunk countless hours into it, not with any particular aim of completing it but just for the pure joy of how it feels. But since it's a roguelike as I played I continued getting more powerful but so did my enemies.
    It's gotten to a stage that there's no way I can progress to kill the final boss as I'll likely die before I get there since all enemies are so overpowered.

Yesterday I finally defeated Anakim the Abominable after all these months (which is the LEVEL 1 boss!!), and I swore that once I did that I can call it mission complete.

My shoulders will thank me for it!

2) Accounting (Rift) - The free version of Accounting (not Plus) that you can get on Steam. I thought it was about time to play this on account of Justin Roiland releasing "Trover Saves The Universe", just to see what the humour is like.

The dialog is hilarious, particularly in the court scene, and I'll definitely be picking up Trover as a result.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 46

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just completed nier automata's third ending, bit of a slog to get through but i made myself finish it. I liked it overall but the story could get pretty confusing at times, maybe im just dumb :D

COMPLETED

Blood & Truth (PSVR) - Bought earlier this week, I decided to play it through to completion over the weekend. It's getting rave reviews from most people, but to me it was decidedly "ok". The production values are high and all, but unfortunately on my OG PS4, the graphics were pretty damned blurry (on a par with the notoriously-blurry Driveclub VR), and the game mechanics were a little too much on rails for my liking, even down to automatically crouching for you. Meh.. gimme Superhot for real immersion.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 47

COMPLETED

Dark Days (Oculus Go) - Got this for free on my Go a while back, but it's totally worth paying for. Pretty damned scary and makes full use of the Go's 360 degree tracking.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 48

COMPLETED

Tomb Raider - 2013 (Steam) - I've been trying to complete this since Xmas, so it's great to finally have it cleared off. Fantastic game, great controls and graphics.
    It's also my first completed Tomb Raider game full stop. :)

Total cleared off backlog so far: 49

COMPLETED

Trover Saves the Universe (Rift) - Brilliant VR game along the lines of Astrobot, but with a Justin Roiland plot and voicing. Madness, but fricking hilarious.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 50

Half a century completed in 1.5 years... w00t! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

DOOM 2016 story finally completed :) what a badass game

COMPLETED

Resident Evil 1 (PlayStation Classic) - Took 10 hours, but I finally managed to complete this. I never had a PS One so it's great to sample all these for the first time, and this game alone made the PS Classic purchase worth it!

The cheesy dialog and bad acting just makes it all so perfect.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 51

NEXT UP
    Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation Classic)

Phew that took a while...

COMPLETED

Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation Classic) - Took just under 16 hours. Easily the TOUGHEST game on my completion list to date, so it's so rewarding to call it complete. The last boss battle just goes on and on. And even then when you think you've completed the game they throw in an on-rails shooter for the first time!

Genius... but holy **** I'm not touching that one again (even if they do give me Stealth mode on the re-play)

This also marks the last game I really wanted to play on the PS Classic, so I can say I've also "completed" the PS Classic backlog (of games I wanted to play). I'll make it into a MAME machine now or something, but I enjoyed every minute of RE1 and MGS, even when they were frustratingly hard!

Total cleared off backlog so far: 52

NEXT UP
    ...something easier and smaller ffs!

COMPLETED

The Invisible Hours (Oculus Rift) - Interesting concept. An interactive movie essentially, like a VR version of a walking sim, but still an enjoyable experience.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 53

• Advertisement

COMPLETED

The Lost Bear (PSVR) - Been on the backlog for quite a while. Probably the shortest game on the completion list so far (about 1-1.5 hours), and had I known I would have tackled it sooner. Enjoyable Limbo-esque platformer. But REALLY short, almost like 2 levels of Limbo in total.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 54

COMPLETED

Polybius (PSVR) - Absolute mind-job of a game. One of my all-time favourites, but got frustratingly hard in the latter few levels, but at least I got to experience an acid trip without the side effects (unless....)

Total cleared off backlog so far: 55

COMPLETED

Bound (PSVR) - One of the first games I bought for the PSVR. Some of the best graphics on the platform too, so I recommend this one, even if it is just a bit too arty-farty for it's own good.

Rez Infinite - Area X (PSVR) - The Area X part is playable separate to the main game and I completed it today. It's supposedly the best thing about Rez Infinite, but I guess it's just looking dated now. Polybius still has it for the most spaced-out visuals. I'll finish off the rest of Rez Infinite at a later date.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 57

COMPLETED

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch Lite) - My first game to complete on the Switch Lite that I picked up in November, but truly a stunner. Great looking and perfectly flowing gameplay. I'm amazed that a game like this was actually done on the original Gameboy so that must have been quite a feat at the time. I missed out on it on my Gameboy, little did I know what I was missing.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 58

COMPLETED

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - Huge HUUUUGE game that took me a full month and half to beat (allowing for whatever time I had available to play it of course), but it was excellent and had me looking forward to each play session. Had this on my TODO list for about 5 years!

That's two Zelda games played to completion in a row. Something to be proud of I reckon ;)

Gonna concentrate on my VR stuff for next while...

Total cleared off backlog so far: 59

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Question for you cheez, and something I'm pondering myself. I'm guessing not but do you subscribe to any of the gaming services like Humble Bundle or Game Pass?

Of course they are great value but I'm on the verge of cancelling purely to stop 10-15 games arriving into my backlog every month that I'll probably never get around to finishing.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Question for you cheez, and something I'm pondering myself. I'm guessing not but do you subscribe to any of the gaming services like Humble Bundle or Game Pass?

Of course they are great value but I'm on the verge of cancelling purely to stop 10-15 games arriving into my backlog every month that I'll probably never get around to finishing.

nah! I do use Humble Bundle for occasional sales of games I really want, but I'm not subbed to anything. I guess it pays to be picky about games I buy. I get lots of free games from Epic etc but don't consider those "on the backlog" as I care less if I don't play them. My priority is to get through games I put money down on, including bundles. I do include some free games in my backlog but only ones I'm really interested in and I don't feel obligated to complete them to say I'm finished with them.

COMPLETED

Vader Immortal - Episode 2 (Oculus Quest) - Short game, but great fun once you get the hang of using the Force. Felt like a bad-ass muthafscka dual-wielding a light-saber in one hand and the Force in the other, flinging enemies against each other.

Onto Episode 3...

Total cleared off backlog so far: 60

COMPLETED

Vader Immortal - Episode 3 (Oculus Quest) - Not the best in the series imho. Using the Force to grab a Stormtrooper's gun and use it against them is pretty cool, but I think Episode 2 was the best of the bunch.

Similar to the movies then :rolleyes:

Total cleared off backlog so far: 61

• Advertisement

COMPLETED

Megaman (NES) - After watching an AVGN episode about Megaman I realised I'd never actually played it, so decided to go all retro this week.

Hard as nails but I completed it in the end! Stands up to today's games quality wise I reckon.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 62

Advertisement