Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pen and Paper RPG II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Might be fun to start local before we become international jetsetters or get chased out of town by the Dundon family trolls.

Ok, is there a character generator? A starter guide? I have a madey-up-life shaped hole in my heart that demands to be filled!

it looks to be quite complicated. i'm currently running throught step 4 in a 9 step process.

Character creation involves many decisions, from
    choosing the right skills to purchasing the appropriate
    gear. It could take as little as an hour to build a character or
    as long as an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Am I supposed to be daunted or drooling.

Tell me more about these steps :)

Am I supposed to be daunted or drooling.

Tell me more about these steps :)

Well, it goes like this.

Creating a shadowrunner

1. choose a concept. hav an idea what you want your character to do and where their strenghts and weaknesses are.

2. choose a metatype. that human elf dwarf ork troll

3. choose magic or resonance, if neither skip this step

4. purchase qualities, this costs karma for positive traits (eg. invulnerability), and you get bonus karma for negative traits (eg. addictions or allergies)

as i said im on step 4 so cant expand these next ones yet for you.

5. purchase skills
    6. spend resources
    7. spend leftover karma
    8. final calculations
    9. final touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I'll send on the rules to ye in a pm link to dropbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

can i have some rules as well

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    can i have some rules as well

Spaces go between words. Don't hog the potions. Only shoot the bad guys.
    :)

@necro : there are 6 grades of robotic leg and 3 degrees of severity of the replacement. Per leg. You have plenty of options!

Spaces go between words. Don't hog the potions. Only shoot the bad guys.
    :)

@necro : there are 6 grades of robotic leg and 3 degrees of severity of the replacement. Per leg. You have plenty of options!

i e given away more potions than ive taken and spaces are overated

Tigger wrote: »
    i e given away more potions than ive taken and spaces are overated

So you're saying you'll make an effort on the shooting people thing? To paraphrase meatloaf, I'll suck your dick for some biscuits in gravy one out of three ain't bad!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So when is the campaign to get Fourier to play Werewolf starting :)

Happy new year folks

So you're saying you'll make an effort on the shooting people thing? To paraphrase meatloaf, I'll suck your dick for some biscuits in gravy one out of three ain't bad!

kimberly mccado or
    coconut creams ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jasper Stone

Any room left? I'd love to play, it sounds deadly. I think Mexico City would be a really cool setting, imagine giant cyber punk Aztec pyramids.....

Hi jasper. i think so, and yay, an extra vote to get outta ireland, yay

Any room left? I'd love to play, it sounds deadly. I think Mexico City would be a really cool setting, imagine giant cyber punk Aztec pyramids.....

your in

We have our team.

So far we have Dublin and Mexico City. I'm knocking off Seattle, just not to be the typical Shadowrun city. sKeith and Tigger?

Core rule to follow.

Just to mention, anybody interested can still apply. Next run could be a different team.

i'll break the tie if it dub vs other for the other , other than that no real pref.

both hk and mex city sound like fun. (as seattle and the space needle are of the cards) ;)

mexico

Mexico it is. I'll make missions for Dublin down the line.

Dice rules in Shadowrun work as follows.

Characters have Attributes (innate traits, e.g. Intelligence, Strength) and Skills (things they have learned, e.g. Hacking, Pistols)

To see if you succeed at something you almost always (I'll mention exceptions in the game, not overloading you with rules now) roll a number of d6s equal to an Attribute + a Skill. I'll use an example.

Debby the Dwarf has the attribute Logic at 3 and the skill Hacking at 4. To see if she can hack she rolls:

Logic + Hacking = 7 d6 dice.

Note: I will always tell you the Attribute and Skill to roll, though it's usually what you'd expect.

Any dice with a 5 or 6 is a "hit".

So Debby rolls: 4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2, 2

She got two hits.

To succeed the GM says how many hits you need before you roll, the threshold.

2 hits is average difficulty.
    4 hits is hard.

Though the threshold can range from 1 - 10 hits.

So if I said two hits were necessary, Debby would have succeeded.

Limits:
    The amount of hits is capped though. You might roll seven hits, but only be allowed count five of them. The limit can be due to innate limits or limits of the gear you're using.

Innate limits are:
    Physical limit: ((Strength x 2) + Body + Reaction)/3
    Mental limit: ((Logic x 2) + Intelligence + Will Power)/3
    Social limit: ((Charisma x 2) + Will Power + Essence)/3

So if Debby has
    Logic: 3, Intelligence: 3, Will Power: 2
    then her Mental Limit is 4 (you round up). She is not allowed more than 4 hits when hacking due to innate limits.

So if Debby rolls:

3, 5, 6, 3, 6, 6, 5

It'd still only count as four hits.

Most of the time it's the innate limit that matters, though in some cases, like hacking, gear limits override it. So if Debby is using an old hacking deck the stats on the gear will mention it causes a limit of three. In that case the roll above will only get three hits.

When I call for a roll, it will look like this:
    Attribute+Skill [Limit] (Threshold)

e.g. for a hard hacking attempt:

Logic+Hacking [Mental] (4)

This means, roll Logic+Hacking amount of d6 dice, hits limited by your Mental Limit and you need 4 hits.

Glitch:
    If more than half the dice you roll are 1s, then something bad happens, called a glitch in the rules. This might not mean failure. So if Debby is trying to hack open a door and I say:

Logic+Hacking [Mental] (2)

And she rolls:

1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 6, 3

She succeeded, but she got a glitch. The door opens, but she sets off the alarm.

If she had got:

1, 1, 1 ,1, 4, 4, 5

She would have failed and glitched. Didn't open the door and triggered the alarm.

1, 2, 4, 5, 2, 1, 1

Is just a fail. Door doesn't open.

Critical Glitch:
    This is no hits and a glitch, something major goes wrong, e.g. for Debby

1, 1, 1, 1, 4, 2, 4

She triggers a feedback loop in the doors circuitry and fries her own hacking implant, nearly killing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jasper Stone

sKeith wrote: »
    Hi jasper. i think so, and yay, an extra vote to get outta ireland, yay

Definitely, Mexico is going to be deadly ;)

Love the look of the rules too, glitches sound like a lot of fun story wise. Also the idea of limits on how well you can do is interesting, I've never seen that in an RPG before.

Currently thinking I might make an adept character, but not totally sure yet, and possibly a troll.....I like the idea of a magic troll throwing power balls, Dragonball style....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mexico fine by me too to start off :) welcome on board Jasper!

Yeah limits are a cool idea, they mean that for example somebody might be very well trained in hacking, but simply not be smart enough to tackle a difficult system.

Some more rules later. A bit to help with char gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

In...vestigator, if I'm not too late. The more structured playing times suit me better as this time I MIGHT actually get to stab someone. :)

Also I want a flying cart.

If I'm late for this group I'll sit on the sidelines till another run is set up. A copy of all links to rules, dropboxes, rolz rooms etc. would be appreciated.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Okay I'll let a sixth person in to the next run and up the difficulty and size, so you're in OldGoat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Cheers Four. :)
    Can I start on El Mariachi references and carry a guitar case?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Bit more of the rules tomorrow, the other game had me busy.

Opposed Rolls:
    When two characters oppose each other the roll looks like this:

Attribute + Skill[Limit] vs Attribute + Skill[Limit]

No threshold is given as the winner is the one with the most hits.

In all cases that this is called for there is an actor/attacker and a resistor/defender. On a tie the defender wins.

Special Case:
    Looking for gear on the streets is:
    Negotiation + Charisma [Social] vs Availability Rating

Where Availability Rating is a stat listed with each item to determine how common and open to purchase it is on the streets. On a tie, delivery takes twice as long.

Extended Rolls:
    Extended rolls are used for tasks that can occur over a long time, like repairing a car. Rolls look similar:

Attribute + Skill[Limit] (Threshold,Time)

The additional element is time and multiple rolls, you roll until you succeed. I'll take an example. Debby is fixing her Hacking Gear, she rolls:
    Intelligence+Computer[Mental] (10,1 Hour)

First roll she gets 4 hits, second she gets 3 and third she gets 3. Hence it took her three hours.

She is free to do normal rolls in this time (i.e. shoot if she spots and enemy), usually extended rolls cover tasks that may be paused and resumed.

At any time you can abondon an extended roll. Also you can get gliches or critical glitches on any of the individual rolls.

Finally, you roll one less dice each time you roll. This is done as otherwise characters who are quite bad could keep one or two hits per roll and simply take 20+ rolls to do it. So it's sort of to implement Limits over time.

So the game will take place in Tenochtitlan. To start with you will a choice of four runs to go on. Your handler, the person who arranges the runs and contacts the clients, is a french immigrant named Mademoiselle Rolland.

Your base will be the hidden basement of a coffee shop in the Iztacalco district of the city. The basement can only be accessed by those who know its 12 digit code and is wifi silent with thermal absorbers built into the wall (cannot be seen on infrared scans of the area).

You will all be new to Rolland's team, her previous team having all been killed on a run, save Francesca, a locally born Elf, who was heavily wounded.

• Advertisement

Do we need to know much about the political landscape? I had my heart set on being from Merida but the manual says the Yucatan is "complicated"...

Can I ask how unforgiving this game is? Its very complicated, but is it lethal? Is my first character likely to die and maybe I should keep it simple and unemotional until I've learned the ropes?

Advertisement