Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2018 Edition)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So far this year…
    Observer
    Hellblade

Adding:
    Horizon Zero Dawn and the Frozen Wilds: Took a while to get into this and for the first 5 or 6 hours, I was on the fence about this. But once I started to get skilled up and could handle myself against the bigger creatures this became fantastic fun to play. The Frozen Wilds took it up another notch in terms of difficulty but it was a satisfying challenge. Well recommended.

Knack: I know that it has plenty of detractors but sitting at home in my sick bed for a week, this was a grand game for playing a chapter at a time and leaving down - save points were a bit erratic and it's probably the only game that I skipped by every cutscene but I still enjoyed it for what it was. Don't know if I'd be bothered playing the sequel, mind.

Evil Within 2: Really enjoyed this but some of the boss battles were an absolute pain in the hole - The last boss battle had me giving up the game for a week because it was annoying me so much. Still, a great atmosphere throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Evil Within 2: Really enjoyed this but some of the boss battles were an absolute pain in the hole - The last boss battle had me giving up the game for a week because it was annoying me so much. Still, a great atmosphere throughout.

I'm getting a more difficult Last of Us from the gameplay videos or am I totally wrong?
    Sorry to derail the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm getting a more difficult Last of Us from the gameplay videos or am I totally wrong?
    Sorry to derail the thread

It's more Silent Hill: Downpour done right. It's got an open world vibe that differentiates it from the more linear first game but still keeps the hallucinatory vibe going. Some disliked the open world but it definitely rewards exploring with the likes of finding different weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just got through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Not a very interesting game. Got to get through Quantum Break and Mafia III from my backlog before I try find something that interests me more.

Game|Format
    The Division|PC
    Rise of the Tomb Raider|PC
    Ryse: Son of Rome|PC
    Homefront: The Revolution|PC
    Sniper Ghost Warrior 2|PC
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided| PC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Final Fantasy XV ps4, probably in the minority that loved it even if the story was confusing .

• Advertisement

Adding one of my favourite console games Burnout Paradise. Loved it on the 360.
    Enjoyed every second replaying it.

Game|Format
    The Division|PC
    Burnout Paradise Remastered| PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch
    Call of duty WW2 - PS4
    Crash Bandicoot 2 - PS4
    Uncharted The Lost Legacy - PS4
    Crash bandicoot 3 Warped- PS4
    Destiny 2 - PS4

Saints Row 4 Re elected - PS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Adding The Journey from FIFA 18 to the list. Fun for what it is. Think a cross between FIFA and a TTG game

Game|Format
    The Walking Dead: A New Frontier|PS4
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole|PS4
    FIFA 18 - The Journey|PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Steamworld Dig | Nintendo Switch

Haven't really stuck to a single game since I beat Shadow of the Colossus, but anyway:
    This game was surprisingly short. I guess I wasn't sure what I expected with it being originally a 3DS game but I decided to get through this game before playing SD2, which I got first. I wanted to play through SD1 so I could appreciate the improvements more on SD2. Sounds silly but it makes sense to me.

TBH I didn't really find this game much of a challenge.

It really is simply
    "dig here until you find the next area, and then dig around there until you find the next area, and dig around there until you find the final boss, kill him and win. And upgrade your tools in between"

I put a spoiler there so as to not ruin the experience for any future players that want to pick it up.
    And after taking roughly 3 hours to beat it, with no NG+ or endgame objectives, aside from reloading and trying to upgrade everything, there really does not seem to be much in the way of replayability. After beating it I saw no reason to go back and upgrade everything...

Which brings me to my next point. If you're gonna play any of the Steamworld games, jump into Steamworld Dig 2. I dont think you really need to play Dig 1 first.

It's a really good game, but Dig 2 refines it more.
    Games Beaten This Year So Far
    GAME|PLATFORM
    OXYNFREE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    SONIC MANIA|NINTENDO SWITCH
    SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS|PLAYSTATION 4
    STEAMWORLD DIG|NINTENDO SWITCH

Adding Quantum Break for PC. Meh. Alright. I enjoy sci-fi experiences but wasn't overly impressed with this this.

Game|Format
    The Division|PC
    Quantum Break| PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DabllDoYa

All of them :D working my way to get all of PS2 trophies atm.

On another note, Tekken 7 is a really easy Platinum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nintendo Switch

Super Mario Odyssey

I finished this game this evening well beat bowser after the wedding. I have 450 power stars and I collected every special coin in each kingdom except the moon where the church is as i never went back as the credits rolled out which I was not expecting. I have a few more stars to get and go back over each kingdom and explore the kingdom or two I have not been to yet.

Overall a excellent game and I would totally recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Prototype on PC. Not sure what the console versions are like, but if you plan on playing and have the option, choose the console. Sound was way off on the PC version, not being able to hear voices and not all voices are subtitled.

But I liked the game itself and while it still falls into the usual open world habit of having to constantly criss cross the map to get from one mission to the next, the traversal system is a lot better than most. none of the bad guys will be alerted or start chasing you unless you provoke them, which would annoy me about games like Assassin's Creed.

Adding Hidden Agenda to the list. Felt like more than a tech demo than a full game, though for the price I paid, I suppose that's what I should have expected

I'll have to play it again though, because the ending I got was so abrupt, and left so much unresolved. I was given the option of
    staying or leaving, with 0:44 left on a bomb. I decided to stay, thinking I could defuse it, but then it just jumped to 0:04, blew up, and I died.
    Thanks game :rolleyes:

Game|Format
    Hidden Agenda|PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Just finished season 2 of telltale's Batman.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the last episode as John Doe turned fully into the Joker. Episode 5 seems fairly different depending on how you treated John Doe. It's weird to say but there were parts of episode 5 where I felt they got the pure evilness of his character more than Rocksteady did. Loved that Gordon turned Batman in for the bomb locations as it made sense he'd do it after I fell out with him after he was cut by GCPD. Tiffany turning out to be Riddlers killer made sense even though I didn't like that I was given the option to forget about it.
    Despite the reports of issues at the studio I think they have done a better than expected job with Batman as Game of Thrones & Guardian's of the Galaxy were both poor

Adding Far Cry 5. Looking forward to playing some co-op now.

Game|Format
    The Division|PC
    Quantum Break| PC
    Far Cry 5| PC

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I finished 3 games over the weekend:

Rakuen
    To the Moon
    A Bird Story

Rakuen is a great game and it's currently available in the $1 tier of the Humble Indie Bundle 19.

To The Moon is also decent but A Bird Story is just lame. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished Contrast on PS4. Nice short game. Not the greatest but some wee puzzles.

And don't know why, but I was reminded of Stacking, which I enjoyed playing a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Far Cry 5 good game great in coop, shallow story.

Far Cry 5 | Xbox One

Good game, but I think it was a tad overhyped and overly praised.
    This was meant to be the biggest change to the series but I honestly felt it was just more silly Far Cry.
    Yeah, they changed a few mechanics, removed towers and made the whole map explorable and allowing you to play the game in whichever order you see fit (a la Breath of the Wild) but that is it.....

I found the story not too bad, it was difficult to follow but then again I play Far Cry for the gameplay before I even attempt to get attached to any storyline.

The main antagonist was also pretty decent, but I still prefer Min.

In any case. It is a good game, just not as unbelievable as it is made out to be.

ALSO ADDING

Far Cry 4 | Xbox One

I forgot I actually had the final mission on this to finish. I hadnt played it in 3 years I dont know what it was that diverted me away. But there it is, I beat 2 Far Cry games in one day lol
    GAME|PLATFORM
    OXYNFREE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    FAR CRY 5|XBOX ONE
    FAR CRY 4|XBOX ONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finished and Platinumed Ratchet and Clank last night. Was handy, I forgot I had finished it previously and started the Challenge Mode, so I literally had to finish it again, and only had the Ryno and Goatinator to max out, couple of small collectible bits and beat the times on the hoverboard races. Went from 41%ish to Plat in about 8 hours! Happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Completed so far:
    [All on the NES]

Bugs Bunny Blowout
    Super Mario Bros
    Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
    Captain Skyhawk
    Snow Brothers
    Kabuki Quantum Fighter

[Xbox One X]

Super Lucy's Tale: Gilly Island DLC

I actually enjoyed this DLC same as the main game. One thing annoying though is the lack of the ability to rotate the camera to a position that suits you. Over all a fun DLC.

After completing the main game I had 1000 DLC and with this installment I have 3 achievements left to get but two are just endless hours of collecting coins that respawn when entering a different location. The first is collect 30,000 coins the second 99,000 and the last is beat the DLC boss without taking damage. I can get as far as attacking her twice without taking damage but to get as far as attacking her the third and final time without taking damage would take a serious amount of luck and skill mostly luck as the safe spot in the ground is tiny and keeps moving and lasers are going every where so I gave up.

I also had to replay the main game boss again just to see the credits as there is a new achievement to watch the credits and the only way is to replay the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just finished Lara Croft GO on PC (thanks, Humble Bundle!) and really enjoyed it. Quite similar to Hitman GO in gameplay and with some tricky puzzles. Different visually (Hitman GO has a board game vibe), but still appealing.

I have Deus Ex Go on Android (via Amazon), so I might give that a go next.

[Xbox One X]

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Such a good game I really enjoyed it. I own the 20 year anniversary edition so had all DLC included. The only ones I bothered with were the Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch and Croft Manor. I couldn't be bothered with time attack or endurance and co-op missions.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception | Playstation 4

And that does it for the original trilogy for me. Very good action game with some of the most fluid controls I've ever experienced. This one especially looks good in 60fps.

I have Uncharted 4 to play through this week before God of War comes out.
    GAME|PLATFORM
    OXYNFREE|NINTENDO SWITCH
    FAR CRY 5|XBOX ONE
    FAR CRY 4|XBOX ONE
    UNCHARTED 3|PLAYSTATION 4

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch
    Call of duty WW2 - PS4
    Crash Bandicoot 2 - PS4
    Uncharted The Lost Legacy - PS4
    Crash bandicoot 3 Warped- PS4
    Destiny 2 - PS4
    Saints Row 4 Re elected - PS4

Syberia - Nintendo Switch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Batman - Telltale Game PS4, have to say I actually enjoyed this. Cant wait for the next one to see how it plays out now :)

Finally got a PS Vita not too long ago, because there were a few games I wanted to play on it before it was too late

Just finished Gravity Rush now, which I really enjoyed. It was completely different to what I was expecting, I thought it was a high-concept puzzle game, like Limbo or Journey, so I was very surprised to find it an open-world adventure game

Obviously takes a while to get used to the controls and constant perspective changes, but once you get the hang of it, it all seems very natural and fluid. Typical Japanese-style characters and storyline which I'm not usually in to, but for some reason I had no problem with it here, probably down to the unique gameplay

Definitely adding Gravity Rush 2 on PS4 to the list of games to play in the future

Game|Format
    Hidden Agenda|PS4
    Gravity Rush|PS Vita

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

L.A. Noire. PS3. Different to what I expected but enjoyed it for what it was. Pity it played out the same way regardless of decisions made during investigations. Had considered getting the remaster but picked up this version for a fiver.

Crash Bandicoot 1. PS4. Brilliant game. Frustrating at times (Road to Nowhere and High Road).

Dark Souls. PS3. 2nd playthrough. Dex build. Looking forward to another play through next month on the PS4. Love it.

Dark Souls 3. PS4. Also 2nd playthrough and also a Dex build. Beat all bosses solo unlike the first I went through it. Probably my favourite game ever.

Until Dawn. PS4. I stopped and started this a good few times before eventually getting into it and playing it through to the end in a few nights. The jump scares never got me though. From memory I saved 3 and the rest all died. Enjoyed it.

Advertisement