Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codenames discussion & GAME SETUP / SIGN UP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was throwing an idea around about having some additional games with set teams, within a tournament structure, here on boards, in addition to the current games we have.

It would be standard double elimination tournament structure (so each team would get at least 2 shots to progress), based on 8 teams (we can increase or decrease this as needed), based on 2 people per team (1 cap, 1 guesser).

The structure and an idea of how it would work is below. I guess we make the teams on a first come first serve basis, like we currently do.

442460.JPG

So what do ye think? If you are interested, maybe thank this post and ill setup a separate thread if we get enough players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Can I suggest that if we are doing this can we have a proper schedule? Like Game 4 will be played at 4pm on Tuesday the 27th? I can make myself free then.

Dont see an issue with that....

Thinking about that, there is no need to hold the games in each phase one after the other. Like in the above chart, games 1 to 4 can be played in any order and any (reasonable) speed, and this can be sorted between the players in each game.

Its only after a team moves forward to the next round that we would need to set 'play your game by X date' dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

make a signup sheet, i'll sign up, but think you should rand the teams instead of 1st come 1st serve basis.

If somebody has never captained , say so on signup (we asterix them), and we make a pool of those, and rand pair them off with captains in the draw first, before randing everybody else, so no team has two not captains.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd be interested but I don't wanna captain tbh.

sKeith wrote: »
    make a signup sheet, i'll sign up, but think you should rand the teams instead of 1st come 1st serve basis.

If somebody has never captained , say so on signup (we asterix them), and we make a pool of those, and rand pair them off with captains in the draw first, before randing everybody else, so no team has two not captains.

Also fine by me as long as everyone is willing to accept the teams i generate (which will be randomly with seeding for players who havent captained).

If you dont want to captain, just answer that second question 'no'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

When the teams are assigned, does the cpt have to be cpt throughout the tournament or can they switch as they like for each game?

Great idea btw Pter

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    When the teams are assigned, does the cpt have to be cpt throughout the tournament or can they switch as they like for each game?

Great idea btw Pter

I dont see why switching wouldnt be allowed.

unless you are teamed up with necro :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote: »
    unless you are teamed up with necro :D

only-one.gif

Seriously though, if it's odd numbers leave me out for being an awkward backstard. :P

nah, there'll be more than you, hopefully, that will want to play but don't want to captain. we just don't want to pair two of ye together.

Also: shilling mode activated. Sending out some PMs to some previous players. Feel free to send on to your pals who havent played before however!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Can we pick team names for the world cup comp?

Ive already assigned names. If you wanna change thats grand.

Team Wheat v Team Rare
    Team Cook v Team Young
    Team Test v Team Cage
    Team Brain v Team Free

Prob best to pop over to the world cup thread so we dont clog this one up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106222383#post106222383

• Advertisement

Ah for fu.......i mean.....class.

Also wrong thread BJ

Bump last chance to enter

1 more world cup player would balance things out real nice.....

Pter wrote: »
    1 more world cup player would balance things out real nice.....

Whis down and not in,

Kitten k or mile high guy might join

So in at the moment is:

beakerjoe
    Necrominus
    sKeith
    Conor222
    Kolido
    osh
    Digital Solitude
    Mollyb60
    Pter

1 more would make ten, and 5 teams.

Was MileHighGuy contacted? He seemed interested the day he played...

Yeah i pretty much sent everyone who has ever played a PM (unless they already signed up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

maybe leave it a few more days, there's a few more that might sign up like partyjungle, quickbeam etc

Advertisement