Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

• 07-01-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea when there are coming out with the results for the test done for Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017? The one's done on either the 2nd or 9th of December in chapter house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

tgdaly wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when there are coming out with the results for the test done for Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017? The one's done on either the 2nd or 9th of December in chapter house

I did my supervised test for this campaign on the 9th of December and I emailed them for an update last week. Here’s what they wrote back:

‘Hi

We are still in the planning stage for this campaign. The number to be called forward and when the next stage will be is still to be finalised. It is intended to invite a number of candidates, based on the order of merit, to Stage 3.

We will be in contact with you this month with details regarding the Stage 2 result. Please log in regularly to your publicjobs.ie Message Board where any updates on this competition will be posted.

Regards

Local Government Recruitment’

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    I did my supervised test for this campaign on the 9th of December and I emailed them for an update last week. Here’s what they wrote back:

‘Hi

We are still in the planning stage for this campaign. The number to be called forward and when the next stage will be is still to be finalised. It is intended to invite a number of candidates, based on the order of merit, to Stage 3.

We will be in contact with you this month with details regarding the Stage 2 result. Please log in regularly to your publicjobs.ie Message Board where any updates on this competition will be posted.

Regards

Local Government Recruitment’

Thanks for that, hopefully won't be too much longer so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Stage Two was performed in two streams:

o Candidates who sat the supervised test on 2nd and 9th December.

o Candidates who were also participating in the Civil Service campaign. Their 'Assessment Centre' also covered off the supervised test requirement for the Local Government. It was killing two birds with the one stone.

Good luck to everyone called for Stage Three

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Results are out! I wonder how many they will bring forward for interview.

Got my results - I am 125 on the OOM. Is that good? I know it would be a good score for other campaigns I am up for but is it for this? Any idea how many people would have qualified for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

I dropped quite a lot of places from my OOM on the first stage version of the test. I hope they call a large batch to interview so I can stay in the process.

It's hard to know exactly how many positions might be available.

'Geography' could become a key factor as people were asked to express a preference on Eastern, Southern or Border Region.

It could depend on the level of interest in your region, i.e. you might be #100 nationally overall, but #10 in the Borders region and #2 in County xyz based on your address. Although specific county was not a choice.

Dublin Local Government you'd expect to be the main employers - Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

The wording of the notification indicates a straight interview. Couldn't see a mention of mock presentations or job simulation.

Some people might have picked all six skills... others will have restricted their picks.

Best wishes to everyone! Fingers crossed for a good day in February

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

The wording of the notification indicates a straight interview. Couldn't see a mention of mock presentations or job simulation.

Thank feck for that! It would be an annoying extra step. I picked the South and Dublin as my preferred regions so I guess that puts me in for most of the opportunities.

I've picked 3 or 4 skill sections I think but having looked at the campaign booklet again I'm questioning my actually being qualified for some of them.

Do they actually require a degree in the subject matter? I have a broader degree (a Masters in Public Policy) - are they actually looking for people who have a degree in for example Economic Enterprise and Business Development or Innovation Strategy and Change management. If thats the case I'm likely not going to get much further!

Thank feck for that! It would be an annoying extra step. I picked the South and Dublin as my preferred regions so I guess that puts me in for most of the opportunities.

I've picked 3 or 4 skill sections I think but having looked at the campaign booklet again I'm questioning my actually being qualified for some of them.

Do they actually require a degree in the subject matter? I have a broader degree (a Masters in Public Policy) - are they actually looking for people who have a degree in for example Economic Enterprise and Business Development or Innovation Strategy and Change management. If thats the case I'm likely not going to get much further!

You would pick up a lot of these skills in your professional life and put them on your CV (aka application form), rather than holding specific university degrees in them.

Although a specific degree in them would be a distinct advantage (if they exist)

You would pick up a lot of these skills in your professional life and put them on your CV (aka application form), rather than holding specific university degrees in them.

Although a specific degree in them would be a distinct advantage (if they exist)

That’s what I hoped and thought when I applied but I saw the words ‘with degrees in’ for the description of some of these and got a bit scared!

• Advertisement

258 on the order of merit. As people have said it's hasn't been said how many positions they are hiring for and how many they are calling forward for interviews, so it's difficult to be too hopeful

tgdaly wrote: »
    As people have said it's hasn't been said how many positions they are hiring for and how many they are calling forward for interviews, so it's difficult to be too hopeful

I asked PAS how many jobs there would be etc and this is the reply I got this morning:

There are approx 150 vacancies nationwide. We will be calling everyone who passed stage 2 forward to main interview which are due to commence in mid February. As per the message, PAS will be in contact through the publicjobs Message Board regarding interview details.

I asked PAS how many jobs there would be etc and this is the reply I got this morning:

There are approx 150 vacancies nationwide. We will be calling everyone who passed stage 2 forward to main interview which are due to commence in mid February. As per the message, PAS will be in contact through the publicjobs Message Board regarding interview details.

Very useful information. Thanks for posting.

A new email has been received from PAS.

From reading the instructions, it seems that we are required to complete two forms:

PDF - a 'copy and paste' of Section B from our original Application Form. It must be for the benefit of the interviewers?? To boil down the essentials onto one sheet for them.

Online form - basic personal information.

Can anyone see anything extra being asked?

Mid-February remains the target date for interviews.

Actually .... the original submission form (Section B) was just one box to discuss all your skills lumped together.

The supplementary application form has a box for each skill. So it's probably a rearrangement exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ver2

I was wondering what happens after the 3 years. Are you guaranteed a job with the local authority or can you be let go again?

I am near the 200 mark so reckon will be lucky to get a place on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Is anyone having an issue opening the forms to complete? I have updated my abode but it's still not opening. Thanks.

It's working fine for me.

What type of error are you seeing?

If you right click the file and select 'Open With'.... does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

It's working fine for me.

What type of error are you seeing?

If you right click the file and select 'Open With'.... does that make a difference?

This is the message. I'm getting it on the phone, laptop and pc.

RedNiamhy wrote: »

I get that message if I double click the PDF file after downloading it.

Instead of double clicking, can you 'right click' on the file and -> Open With -> Adobe Acrobat.

• Advertisement

RedNiamhy wrote: »

I got this when I tried from work because the PC didn't have adobe reader or acrobat installed. When I tried it at home with my Macbook, which does have it, it worked fine. If you want can try to send you a copy of them form in case its some glitch but maybe make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrrobot

Was wondering, if successful during the February interviews, when does the programme typically begin ie. much later in the year or relatively soon after interview?

Best wishes to everyone waiting to get an interview date.

I hope people will start to hear soon about interview dates! If I'm being optimistic it would be great to hear in the coming week

I hope people will start to hear soon about interview dates! If I'm being optimistic it would be great to hear in the coming week

To meet the objective of Mid-February interviews, the candidates would need to receive notification this week. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

Has anyone received a communication this week? I've heard nothing.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

Hi,

Has anyone received a communication this week? I've heard nothing.

Cheers

Nothing for me either. I was kind of expecting an update today...

neilie22 wrote: »
    Nothing for me either. I was kind of expecting an update today...

Nothing here yet either. I got an email today telling me to book a time for stage 2 of Clerical Positions in the civil service 2017 campaign, would be nice to know when I've an interview for this one before I start booking days off work. Surely will hear back before the end of next week

Nada - I emailed them last week asking for an update but they said they're still finalising the details. If anyone else fancies writing in or ringing they might have more info this week. I don't want to be hassling them every few days so have to wait a while myself before asking!

I have an interview next week on the clerical campaign but i'd like to know whats happening with this one as obviously the money is a lot better and in general this is the one I'd prefer!

• Advertisement

Interview email just received on publicjobs.ie

Advertisement