Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

lukiluc wrote: »
    Hi Jimbob. Page 9 of the booklet does mention Administrative Officer, but it's not altogether clear this is the job title. I'm thinking to contact PAS for a clarification. I imagine the potential job title would have a bearing on the interview questions...

Absolutely. If you get a definitive response, please let us know.

If the interview was pitched at Level 4 (Assistant Staff Officer) instead of Level 7(AO), you would expect a different style of interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Graduate jobs are at AO level in the Civil Service
    But in local authorities it's Grade IV

The starting salary range is around the same but AO is better longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

Thanks Risky. I did call PAS today to ask for clarification but they were no help. I asked what job title a successful applicant might be assigned to but they didn't know. I asked about grade they didn't know either. They just referred back to the Six Skillsets and said we would be assigned to a role associated with one of them. So i asked if for example we wére shown to be competent and interested in data analysis what role might we be assigned to. Still no joy...

Riskymove. So its Grade 4 as opposed to Grade 7, i will look that up. But do you know of example job titles that might typically be Grade 4? I think we are meant to show an awareness of how local authorities work, and how the job we are applying to fits in to the overall picture, and this I'm struggling with a little at present... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

lukiluc wrote: »
    Riskymove. So its Grade 4 as opposed to Grade 7, i will look that up. But do you know of example job titles that might typically be Grade 4? I think we are meant to show an awareness of how local authorities work, and how the job we are applying to fits in to the overall picture, and this I'm struggling with a little at present... cheers

It's been pitched as an AO equivalent in this campaign and the last one (2014). It can't really be called AO grade because it is a local authority and they have different structures. But the framework for Local Authority structures appears to be less detailed so its not as black and white.

The people in PAS who answer the day-to-day queries and send comms are CO level and probably have limited information about the local authority posts because its less defined.

I believe what happens is the people working in the LAs decide in the different areas how many people they need. For instance Cork may want to take 2 people in the city LEO office under the economic development skill but the title is probably yet to be determined. Its all at the same level but I suppose like other PAS campaigns a lot of the information isn't revealed until they'e placing you. I too would like to know what a possible title might be but I'm not confident I'll go into the interview knowing this.

• Advertisement

I had entered this competition on the basis that it was 'Administrative Officer in Local Government' straight up.

In the week before interview, it's not great to discover that it might fall three levels below this (the equivalent).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gpxmurphy

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I had entered this competition on the basis that it was 'Administrative Officer in Local Government' straight up.

In the week before interview, it's not great to discover that it might fall three levels below this (the equivalent).

Me too... was pretty disappointed when I saw the salary scale.

I had my interview last Friday, they stuck to the 2 skills interest areas I had listed rather than the competencies.

gpxmurphy wrote: »

I had my interview last Friday, they stuck to the 2 skills interest areas I had listed rather than the competencies.

Oh thanks for the info. What kind of questions were they asking? Did they give you any info about what happens next?

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    Oh thanks for the info. What kind of questions were they asking? Did they give you any info about what happens next?

They just said results would be out mid March.

My skills were project / programme management & communications/marketing. Question wise was the usual; tell us about a time you did xyz... challenges facing councils, how would you make improvements etc.

I see PAS have cancelled interviews for today...

Interviews for Wednesday to Friday postponed

Monday 5th March still ok for now, but monitor publicjobs.ie

Message just out

• Advertisement

Me too... was pretty disappointed when I saw the salary scale.

With two skill sets to discuss, how long was your interview?

With two skill sets to discuss, how long was your interview?

They said going in it'd be about 35-40 mins but I was in with them closer to 45-50 mins. Don't know if that's a good sign or what.... Think i was the last interview of the day so maybe they were taking their time.

Just in terms of documentation, does this sound about right?

1. Original photo ID
    2. Photocopy of ID
    3. Every original hardcopy qualification
    4. Copies of your qualifications
    5. Copies of your original application form and supplementary application form.

For anyone who has done the interview already, are you really asked to bring copies of your application forms into the interview itself?

Just in terms of documentation, does this sound about right?

1. Original photo ID
    2. Photocopy of ID
    3. Every original hardcopy qualification
    4. Copies of your qualifications
    5. Copies of your original application form and supplementary application form.

For anyone who has done the interview already, are you really asked to bring copies of your application forms into the interview itself?

You only need original ID & qualifications and they take a copy there so you don't need copies.

No need to bring the forms in - they have them on iPads in front of them.

I actually only had a copy of my degree & they wouldn't accept it & said I'd have bring it in again another time... very vague! I think maybe if I'm successful they'll want it then.

You only need original ID & qualifications and they take a copy there so you don't need copies.

No need to bring the forms in - they have them on iPads in front of them.

I actually only had a copy of my degree & they wouldn't accept it & said I'd have bring it in again another time... very vague! I think maybe if I'm successful they'll want it then.

I hope the interviews on Monday aren’t cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Any updates on Monday’s interviews, I know the RSA cancelled driving tests on Mondays that were due to be held in Dub, be nice to know!?

piobhan wrote: »
    Any updates on Monday’s interviews, I know the RSA cancelled driving tests on Mondays that were due to be held in Dub, be nice to know!?

Their website and Twitter have no indication of postponements yet.

I'm working off the assumption that it's still "Go" for Monday

Their website and Twitter have no indication of postponements yet.

I'm working off the assumption that it's still "Go" for Monday

Thanks, What is their twitter?

Thanks, What is their twitter?

@publicjobsie

From the information booklet

“Conditions of Service
    Salary: €29,344 (single point salary scale) Annual leave: 24 days
    Working hours: 37 hours
    Tenure: 3 year fixed term contract”

So is the salary 29,344 for each year or will it go up in the 2nd and 3rd year or is that wishful thinking? I’ve a private sector job and trying to work out my options and the €€€ is a key part of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kazzerdaz

Surely there should be some certainty about whether or not they are going ahead on Monday? I'm living in rural west cork my interview is at 10.05. I tried ringing a few times today but no answer and their social media hasn't been updated in 3 days.

From the information booklet

“Conditions of Service
    Salary: €29,344 (single point salary scale) Annual leave: 24 days
    Working hours: 37 hours
    Tenure: 3 year fixed term contract”

So is the salary 29,344 for each year or will it go up in the 2nd and 3rd year or is that wishful thinking? I’ve a private sector job and trying to work out my options and the €€€ is a key part of it

I believe it's fixed for 3 years solid.

It's one of the factors that would be a 'deal breaker' for many candidates. Loads of people would not touch it.

The big hope is that you land a permanent job and join on a moving increment scale.

Kazzerdaz wrote: »
    Surely there should be some certainty about whether or not they are going ahead on Monday? I'm living in rural west cork my interview is at 10.05. I tried ringing a few times today but no answer and their social media hasn't been updated in 3 days.

As Twitter accounts can be accessed remotely (not necessarily from the PAS office), you'd hope that one employee would receive an instruction and log in tomorrow to confirm or postpone the interviews.

The panel interviewers would be in the same boat as ourselves

I think the salary will go up in yearly increments. Single point entry is just that there's no negotiation or starting at a higher point. That's my understanding anyway.

Their FB page said they intend to resume operations on Monday. I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll post any updates on a Sunday so check Monday before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kazzerdaz

As Twitter accounts can be accessed remotely (not necessarily from the PAS office), you'd hope that one employee would receive an instruction and log in tomorrow to confirm or postpone the interviews.

The panel interviewers would be in the same boat as ourselves[/quote
    Exactly. I don't think it's good enough. I would have to stay overnight on Dublin the night before to get there on time. I'm not going to spend €200+ on train and hotel if I'm not sure it's going ahead.

At this moment in time (Sunday morning), Monday interviews look like they will proceed.

I'm saying this in the absence of emails or tweets to the contrary.

Will check again before I drive up to Dublin tonight.

Green light from the publicjobs.ie website

NOTICE:

The Public Appointments Service will resume full operations on Monday, 5 March 2018. 

All tests and interviews from Monday will take place as planned. We will be in touch with individual candidates 
    directly who were due to attend Wednesday 28 February, Thursday 1 March or Friday 2 March, 2018, to reschedule all tests and interviews.

Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sazzie13

At this moment in time (Sunday morning), Monday interviews look like they will proceed.

I'm saying this in the absence of emails or tweets to the contrary.

Will check again before I drive up to Dublin tonight.

How did the interview go?

• Advertisement

Hi. I had the interview. I would suggest sticking to the 4 competencies and the 6 skill sets, and doing your research on what it is a local authority does and how you see yourself making a contribution. Best of luck...

Advertisement