Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

I am the same . . sometimes best to just play the hole without the index in your head. . . has your club now qualifying competitions ?

Yea. First full 18 of the year in the club. Still only came 2nd but delighted with the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

36 points in Dunfanaghy, a right battle with 3 pars to close the round and get to that score.

Got my first ever eagle too so delighted with that. Drove the 10th to within 10 feet then sank the putt. Duly undone by a scratch at the next :D

The weather...dear god what a day for a game. Bit of a breeze coming in from the sea, blistering sunshine from the 8th onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

41 points off 14.
    non qualifying so no cut.
    2 birdies
    9 pars
    3 bogeys
    4 dbl bogey
    very happy with that although a cut would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

redzerdrog wrote: »
    A pathetic 22pts for my first 18 of the year. Everything wrong from knocking down drives, duffing irons and missing 1ft putts.

Good thing is the drives and iron are caused by the same issue and the putting is just down to confidence/practice so looking forward to getting a bit of practice in this week

A much improved 35pts with 2 scratches yesterday. Pretty much every part of the game in in better shape this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Went out for a lesson on Tuesday evening to try get things sorted before the qualifying season kicks off. Part one is sort out my take-away, more to come in a couple of weeks time. Swing feels way off with the change even though it's a small enough change.

Went out on Wednesday evening & played 13 holes. Couldn't hit a ball to save my life but I think I was just trying to force a particular shot when my swing is not set for it while making a change.

So went out to play again yesterday & decided on an attitude change. Jusy accept the shape of swing I was bringing on the day & work with it. Got to the course early & hit around 20 balls on the range. Was hitting a baby fade so just stuck with that for the day. Was still making sure I kept the take-away in place but other than that was just swinging & trying not to think too much.

Made a massive difference to my game. Ended up with 38 points which was enough to finish 2nd in our open. I was very surprised, usually have to be 40+ for a top 3, but the wind direction was blowing the opposite to the usual prevailing wind which made a lot of holes play tougher.

1 bird
    8 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    1 double

The double was down to a duffed chip so no blame on the swing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Broke 80 for the first time yesterday. Needed a par on the index 3 par 4 last, with the approach 168 yards over water. When do I get my tour card??

1 birdie
    10 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

There's a lot to be said for foursomes......

......we returned a reasonable enough round at level par, but it only took 3.5 hours for 18 holes of stroke play golf.

Went for a coffee afterwards because I didn't want the family getting notions that Sunday morning would normally be that quick :)

36 points off 14.
    20 on front with a blank on 3 and 16 back with a blank on 10.
    After last week's 41 I was expecting another big score with placing continuing due to heavy rain midweek.

Wasn't to be but 2 silly scratches off the tee, trying to burst the ball, and a dbl bogey on the last wrecked a round to compete with last week.

pure stupid mental error but will work on that.

9 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double bogey
    2 scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My first singles today since I'm back playing.

Started with three double bogeys followed by three bogeys. Two pars and a bogey to finish the front nine with 17 points. Scratched 11 and 18 but had 16 points on the back 9. 33 points total and I'm quite happy considering I had two scratches and 4 one pointers.

Two massive positives today, I drove the ball very very well and I pared index one for the very first time (after just missing a long birdie putt) :)

Looking forward to the next round and know what I need to work on now to cut out the scratches and reduce the one pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My first prize of 2018 on Saturday. 39 points off 18 got me a runner-up in my division. Course played easy this weekend and there were loads of 40+ scores so I was lucky to sneak a prize.
    Still I hit the ball very well, had just 2 bad holes which I scratched and missed 6 makeable putts. Feel like I'm playing a few shots better than my handicap.
    Looking forward to placing being gone and qualifying returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

After couple of years away I finally have a GUI, which I never did before, of 21. Only scored 28 points but left a lot of points out there for silly shots.

New swing from lessons I'm taking and being rusty make me optimistic about getting that down soon enough. Short game is where I am useless.

Can't wait for courses to firm up and get started playing club comps which are all new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

First round of the year yesterday, first round since August 17 too.
    I usually struggle to break 90, I'm always there or there abouts.

Played 16 holes and shot 80, par 5 and a par 4 missing so I reckon I'd have been on the high side of 90 once more.
    Happy enough though, 2 birdies, lots of bogeys, one double (6). Really need to work on my putting so turn those bogeys into pars.

Off to Portugal this week though for 4 rounds, good to have the cobwebs blown off at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

started off yesterday bogey, double, treble. thoughts of heading to the car park on the 4th tee. went even par from 4 to 17 afterwords.

funny old game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

slingerz wrote: »
    started off yesterday bogey, double, treble. thoughts of heading to the car park on the 4th tee. went even par from 4 to 17 afterwords.

funny old game

Did something similar myself saturday. Started 9,5,7,7 (+11) :confused::eek:. Then went 2 over for the final 11 holes(only played 15).

The lash of pints the night before was probably not a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

26 points for 12 holes, so certainly going in the right direction. Two stupid scratches to keep the feet grounded though.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Did something similar myself saturday. Started 9,5,7,7 (+11) :confused::eek:. Then went 2 over for the final 11 holes(only played 15).

The lash of pints the night before was probably not a help.

I am blaming everything but the lash of pints the night before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bit of an all or nothing round today.

2 birdies
    9 pars
    3 bogeys
    4 doubles
    27 putts

81 strokes, 38 points off 11.

33% FIR
    22% GIR
    50% Scrambling

Played terrible on the par 3s. There are only 3 of them on my course & only walked off with 1 point from them in total.

Had a lovely run of holes from 4-11 where I was -2 gross & was level from 4-15.

Had a cracker of a chip-in birdie on our 7th. About as close as I'll ever get to a Tiger at Augusta style chip. It's a really tricky green. Had to chip it about 7-8 yards left of the hole to feed into a little gulley that runs straight downhill & it's super quick once it get a going. Don't think I could play it again if I had another 100 attempts at it.

Could have & probably should have shot 40+ today but a positive day of golf nonetheless.

Wish qualifying would get here soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

36 Points in my first qualifying round of the year.
    3 Pars and Birdie and so many doubles

It was meant to be a casual with my two playing partner returning to golf after a long break but a member joined us so I entered the comp.

Head wasn't really in it probably due to the last minute change, I was enjoying the company more than focusing on the golf.

6-8 strokes were lost on silly short putts and bad chips. After the winter in places the ground is just so bare in places it left short chips very difficult. 10-15ft chips off soft muck is my feared shot now :pac:

Happy enough with the score, just need to improve on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My first prize of 2018 on Saturday. 39 points off 18 got me a runner-up in my division. Course played easy this weekend and there were loads of 40+ scores so I was lucky to sneak a prize.
    Still I hit the ball very well, had just 2 bad holes which I scratched and missed 6 makeable putts. Feel like I'm playing a few shots better than my handicap.
    Looking forward to placing being gone and qualifying returning.
    40 points off 18 on Saturday which is 1 more than last week. Missed out on a prize in a countback as 4 guys in my division had 40. Nice to play well again. Interestingly I had 22 out and 18 back. The back 9 typically plays 3 shots easier so at the turn I was expecting more than 40. I had no scratches but missed putts from 6 feet on last 2. Felt I had left it behind as 1 more point would have won my division.
    Ah well, still improving and Medal and hopefully cutting back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

A solid 36 points, off 17
    Great front 20 including 1 scratch
    Left some tiddlers out there should have had at least 3 more points on the back
    Still winter rules in Knightsbrook.

• Advertisement

hopeless off the tee today. scrambled as best I could manage tobring in 31 points but at least I know never never never change the settings on the driver just before teeing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I played my first game of golf today since December 10th, 2017.

37 points for 18 holes playing off 6.

I still got it ;)

+11 in scratch cup at the weekend including 2 visits to the 2's club. didnt play great though driving was erratic and when i was in the fairway my approaches left a lot to be desired. scrambled well as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

96 gross (off 17) in stroke play. First qualifier of the year.

1st drive OOB and didn't improve much from there. Very poor iron play, strike it well but everything turning and missing left. Grip issue I need to get a handle on. Out in a very slow 4ball, which didn't suit

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Off 21 I got off to great start. Birdie and Par on first two. (think it was my first time ever under par)

Then overthinking as usual and swing started to creep away from me. Finished with 25 points. Lots of scores left out there from single bad shot on a hole.

As far away as it seems I think I can break 90 this year which is my only goal.

(Also with my high flight the winter conditions are killing me. Plugging everwhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Played 4 rounds since i paid a visit to a PRO for video analysis of swing, lesson and what we decided to work on. 2 things we decided on, a stronger grip and a trying to reduce my hip sway. i have stuck to what was imparted, i have practiced, i have walked around the house with a holding the club with the stronger 1.5 knuckle showing grip, the results of my last 4 competitive rounds 26, 26 26 and yesterday 23 points, it reminds me of that skit on the Ray Darcy radio show years ago when Keano sang "Dry your eyes mate there are plenty more games in Group B to David Beckham. Gonna stick with it though there are signs of that more penetrating ball flight that i am looking for and more length in my irons. Head wreckin though.

Played two qualifying rounds in the last week or so. Down from 21.6 (22HC) to 21.2 ( 21HC )

36 Points
    1 Birdie
    3 Pars
    6 Bogies
    7 Doubles
    1 Scratch

38 Points
    5 Pars
    7 Bogies
    5 Doubles
    1 Scratch

Got caught out with a few mud balls and bare muddy lies of I think I would have had 2-3 shots less each day.

Still, its the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My first medal today and to say the course was long is an understatement. The tees couldn't have been any further back and added 40+ yards on some holes and pins in very tough spots.

Got off to a woeful start with Triple, Bogey, Triple and Triple. In those holes I had a four putt, a hook OOB from 130 yards and a hook OOB on the fourth tee box.

I really struggled early on on the greens and couldn't get the correct pace until around the 12th hole. Putting would normally be the strongest part of my game so I'm very disappointed in that.

Another thing that was off was my iron play. For some strange reason I just could not align myself correctly and either aimed to far left or to far right which left me some awkward pitch/chip shots.

Very happy with my driving. Hit 50% of the fairways and another 4 just off in the first cut. If I could continue with that for the rest of the year it'll be a big plus. Also hit my longest drive of the year on the Par 5 8th with 245 yard hit :)

After the poor start my aim was to break 100... I managed to sneak it with a 99 (81 net).

Tough day at the office but I enjoyed a nice stroll in the sun.

Got out today in the medal.

Net 70 (91 Strokes) CSS 70 so no cut

5 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    3 Doubles
    2 Triples

Surprised the CSS was so low considering the wind and being off the blues with tricky pins.
    Felt I played quite well from the fairway and tee. Putting was hit and miss with some comical 3 putts.
    I didn't get off to a great start, last minute decision after looking out the window meant I just grabbed my gear and headed over, out of the car and onto the tee. Snagged two bananas on the way out the door but still felt the the energy burning away through the round.
    No Practice on the putt out cost me for sure aswell on some knee wobbling short putts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Got out today in the medal.

Net 70 (91 Strokes) CSS 70 so no cut

5 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    3 Doubles
    2 Triples

Surprised the CSS was so low considering the wind and being off the blues with tricky pins.
    Felt I played quite well from the fairway and tee. Putting was hit and miss with some comical 3 putts.
    I didn't get off to a great start, last minute decision after looking out the window meant I just grabbed my gear and headed over, out of the car and onto the tee. Snagged two bananas on the way out the door but still felt the the energy burning away through the round.
    No Practice on the putt out cost me for sure aswell on some knee wobbling short putts.

Sometimes they are the most enjoyable days ever - just go for it.

Advertisement