Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We need to talk...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If this is a player specific thing again or a general thing

From a personal POV, it's player specific. Tigger's rereg was the least of it for me. It was his acting like an other forum player with his jargon and then sneering at the rest of us for not understanding it that bothered me far more. Bad enough if he was a guest from another forum, but when I realised who he was (I may have been super-slow on the update), it was worse because I then realised that it was deliberate as he knew we didn't know the jargon.

But it's also a general thing too, as I did think there was one other incident where a player got too personal with another player. I don't want to speak for them, so won't name names.

sKeith wrote: »
    seems like it to me.

if nobody was using meta, then what does a re-reg account matter.

it only matters because EVERYBODY ELSE WAS USING META.

So we should all pretend like we dont know the rules of the game or anything from before this is absolute nonsense tbh. No meta means referncing on thread to previous games you can't unknow whats in your head. Its ludicrous to suggest so.

Also its wierd your hung up on this one rule breakage but you are fine with all the rest?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote: »
    Please don't! :eek:

It's appreciated, but it comes down to my decision - not the other mods - this was my game, they were a great help with planning but this was my game at the end of the day.

It has upset a lot of people and broken rules. It's for the best I sit out a few games and learn from what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

seems like it to me.

it matters because it's an advantage one player felt they deserved more than the rest of us.

Also as others have said, some people would not have played if they had known Tigger was playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

duffman13 wrote: »
    *I may not be fully aware of everything that's happened as I missed a fair whack. I'm speaking specifically about the rereg scenario and the meta gaming from Banjo. I know something else happened last night however I dont know what that consisted of.

tigger posted
    "
    ---Quote (Originally by partyjungle)---
    Why shouldn't I arrow you Barney
    ---End Quote---
    Wait till BH gets up"
    as tigger,

then deleted it.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Don't be a dick should be the number one rule in everyones mind

This!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sullivlo wrote:
    But if we’re having a discussion about the game mechanics and rules, if you’re advertising a game as non-anon, play it that way. Had we been told in advance of the issue, or had a mod confirm it on thread, it wouldn’t have been the cluster**** that it was.

Don't disagree but as Mick said id need the full story before I'd give my opinion on that one.

seems like it to me.

Because re-reg is against boards rules. It’s left sullivo in a really awkward situation. The forum they fought hard for. The powers that be will be looking at her as much as the offender.

From a personal POV, it's player specific. Tigger's rereg was the least of it for me. It was his acting like an other forum player with his jargon and then sneering at the rest of us for not understanding it that bothered me far more. Bad enough if he was a guest from another forum, but when I realised who he was (I may have been super-slow on the update), it was worse because I then realised that it was deliberate as he knew we didn't know the jargon.

But it's also a general thing too, as I did think there was one other incident where a player got too personal with another player. I don't want to speak for them, so won't name names.

Ya I do see snide remarks being passed to specific players by 1 maybe 2 have had a few but I've no idea what you could do about it tbh just laugh it off unless it gets bad.

Because re-reg is against boards rules. It’s left sullivo in a really awkward situation. The forum they fought hard for. The powers that be will be looking at her as much as the offender.

is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Here you go. Must be sent to all players per game:

howtonotbeadick.jpg

sKeith wrote:
    is it?

I looked at the terms earlier. No mention of not reregging if you have an active account. Just that if you are banned you shouldn't join again. So I don't think it broke a site rule, although I am open to correction on this.

438410.jpg
    I saw that!

:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sullivlo wrote: »
    And what about the allegations of the game mods knowing that there was a re-reg non-anon participating in the game?

I don't think we know enough about this tbh.

I will say that the re reg should have been handled when it was noticed. If that had happened the game could have been rebalanced and played on without incident. When no action was taken it meant that today we had someone in the game who was permitted to stay despite breaking rules as the game would have collapsed otherwise.

Holding people to account for imaginary made up in your head rules is wrong!

Ya I do see snide remarks being passed to specific players by 1 maybe 2 have had a few but I've no idea what you could do about it tbh just laugh it off unless it gets bad.

I actually let it slide because he was new to Boards and a guest from another forum and I didn't want to leave a bad impression of Boards in his mind when he went back to his old forum.

I want people to be held to account for the in game rules they agreed to and broke.

sKeith wrote:
    Holding people to account for imaginary made in your head rules is wrong!

Don't confuse boards rules and game rules and forum rules.

Rules were broken sk.

is it?

Sorry, multiple accounts is.

What about rule 1,2,3,5 13 they ok to break

• Advertisement

that, i did not know.

sKeith wrote:
    that, i did not know.

Ditto. I stand corrected.

Thats just bull signing up to a normal boards account game under an anon account is about as Meta as it gets

Thats just bull signing up to a normal boards account game under an anon account is about as Meta as it gets

Only way it could be worse would be for him to declare he wasn't playing and intimate he had seen the game backrooms.....

For the purpose of this forum only the official anon account names should be classed as anon accounts. They were authorized by the admins and above.

Players using any other name just have multiple accounts and that’s against boards rules.

This really bothered me too, like I know we're all strangers on the internet, but we're not some of us have been playing together for over a year, and I actually found this part of the whole thing the hardest bit to swallow. It's just mean and condescending, and this is supposed to be a team game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

sullivlo wrote: »
    And what about the allegations of the game mods knowing that there was a re-reg non-anon participating in the game?

Might be a little off topic but the account was registered 4 months ago, the onus is on the creator to comply with Boards Terms of Use.

I think game mods made a huge error of judgement with the best of intentions. This site is mainly run on community spirit and people volunteer their time. Losing people like the game mods for any period of time would be detrimental to the forum/community as a whole. All of them are hugely active in the community.

The hours put in should stand as time served somewhat. I know you've a charter and a site to protect but their is only one person who should be punished for what has happened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

This. Multiple accounts is forbidden, without prior mod approval.

For example, some people have requested a second account to use to discuss a personal matter without it being linked to their own account. It’s decided on a case by case basis by the forum mods. No such request was made in this case, and both accounts were active simultaneously (tigger was playing D&D when Barry was playing WW).

So the rule isn’t imaginary, and will be dealt with accordingly. It just couldn’t be dealt with without ending the game early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I think what it comes down to is what people actually want from the game, and my understanding is that for the majority its not about winning or losing. It's about enjoying a game and a community that we've brought about here on Boards. For the most part rule breaks have been isolated events, in that a player has gone against the rules in a specific game. They have generally learned from that and not repeated their behaviour. However, this seems to have been a planned undermining of the spirit of the game. There was the re-regging which I believe is against boards rules, the attitude whilst in the game and then the deletion of posts. The attitude whilst in the game flies completely against the spirit of the game and the community here.

The deletion of posts isn't as big a deal for me, but still a broken game rule. The re-regging however, that's something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest. Not just because it undermines the community here and its decisions but because it may jeopardise what we have set up, this forum in particular.

I like the idea of a gradual banning, going from one game for first major breach and up for multiple breaches. Obviously grievous breaches might belong at the high end of the scale even if they are a first one.

Within games, I know modding is hard when you have modkills but I think for the most part games can be salvaged should some require modkilling. It's not what anyone wants but I think we seriously need to consider what the threshold for a modkill is. I don't think people would mind too much if it changed the state of play, because whilst winning is nice I don't believe that's the ultimate objective for anyone here.

Sorry for the above rambling but felt it was necessary because whilst we are essentially strangers on a forum I think everyone here cares about what happens to werewolf here. I know I do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Folks this is an aside but I'm devastated that certain people are implying players had access to anything from the game on the other site.

If that's how you feel about me then I won't be back. I do not appreciate the insinuation that anything was deleted from the mod room. We had a discussion channel on discord which the link is open for people to view now.

There were three mods and Pter who viewed this game prior to it being released.

It smarts that after all the effort I put into the game, some would think I'd be as idiotic and braindead to allow anyone to spoil that.
    Anyone that has worked with me on a modding team in the past knows I would never do anything like that.

What would be the point? Personal Gain? I gave up a full WEEK to dedicate my time to mod this game and to have it implied I would allow someone to cheat is absolutely disgusting.

Comments like that are how you DESTROY a community. It's totally soured for me what was a great game that went the distance, and I'll be thinking long and hard whether or not to bother modding again if that's the sort of comments that are going to be thrown my way.

Advertisement