Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need to talk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

I think a lot of people's blood is up after the game.

There is no way necro allowed cheating to occure.

Tigger i hate the fact that you think you could play under a sudanem. Its bad form tbh. Everyone else is playing with their real accounts, what honestly makes you so special?

Banjo, the stuff you posted was bang out of order. I hate saying bevause you are a new player and active to boot but because you are new you will learn.

Both should be punished if im honest.

For me deleting and editing posts is the worst. I know i may have deleted guffy posts in anon games but it was reposted under my anon account immediately. Had you done this tigger i wouldnt have cared but there are plenty of times i post where i feel a single word needs to be changed. I dont change it why do you think you can?

I dont know what the story was with mods allowing tigger play under a different account but if that happened it shouldn't have.

Im dissappointed this is your self declared swan song tigger, cause as far as im concerned, you weren't in the game. Barry was and his soul read was wrong :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Guffy wrote: »
    I think a lot of people's blood is up after the game.

There is no way necro allowed cheating to occure.

Tigger i hate the fact that you think you could play under a sudanem. Its bad form tbh. Everyone else is playing with their real accounts, what honestly makes you so special?

Banjo, the stuff you posted was bang out of order. I hate saying bevause you are a new player and active to boot but because you are new you will learn.

Both should be punished if im honest.

For me deleting and editing posts is the worst. I know i may have deleted guffy posts in anon games but it was reposted under my anon account immediately. Had you done this tigger i wouldnt have cared but there are plenty of times i post where i feel a single word needs to be changed. I dont change it why do you think you can?

I dont know what the story was with mods allowing tigger play under a different account but if that happened it shouldn't have.

Im dissappointed this is your self declared swan song tigger, cause as far as im concerned, you weren't in the game. Barry was and his soul read was wrong :P

Do you know what the post said ?
    First was hay ddddddd
    As in Haydes
    Second was wait till gh comes back
    Which I had already posted as Barry

I’ve been banned so that’s all she wrote, I don’t care cos too many people have stated they don’t want to even play if I’m playing so inwouldbt play anyway

Some people are really blowing it out of proportion that I got permission to do it
    It was a twist it was ment to be funny and necro is getting all amounts of crap for a bad judgement call letting me do it
    That’s not right he does a lot for the forum and he felt sorry for me and wanted me to feel included

So with respect I ask that you stop wrecking his head over it

I drove banjo mad :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Necrominus wrote: »
    Folks this is an aside but I'm devastated that certain people are implying players had access to anything from the game on the other site.

If that's how you feel about me then I won't be back. I do not appreciate the insinuation that anything was deleted from the mod room. We had a discussion channel on discord which the link is open for people to view now.

There were three mods and Pter who viewed this game prior to it being released.

It smarts that after all the effort I put into the game, some would think I'd be as idiotic and braindead to allow anyone to spoil that.
    Anyone that has worked with me on a modding team in the past knows I would never do anything like that.

What would be the point? Personal Gain? I gave up a full WEEK to dedicate my time to mod this game and to have it implied I would allow someone to cheat is absolutely disgusting.

Comments like that are how you DESTROY a community. It's totally soured for me what was a great game that went the distance, and I'll be thinking long and hard whether or not to bother modding again if that's the sort of comments that are going to be thrown my way.

Please don’t walk away, Necro. Apologies if you think that I, or anyone, is implying that you allowed cheating to occur. I for one don’t think that you allowed anyone to cheat.

But with that said, it was implied by tigger that he HAD seen the rules in advance of the game, so when it became clear that tigger was playing, it’s hard to forget that he said he saw the rules. Given it was a re-reg, the assumption from my end was that it was not something within your control, and that if tigger HAD seen the rules that it wasn’t on your watch, and I trust your judgment that if you think that rules were broken that you would act accordingly.

I would not have spoken to you privately about the issue if I thought you had broken the rules, and it was your integrity that made me want to allow the game to continue.

So I don’t think you should leave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Tigger wrote: »
    I drove banjo mad :)

Not something to be proud of :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

First was hay ddddddd
    As in Haydes

I’ve been banned so that’s all she wrote, I don’t care cos too many people have stated they don’t want to even play if I’m playing so inwouldbt play anyway

Some people are really blowing it out of proportion that I got permission to do it
    It was a twist it was ment to be funny and necro is getting all amounts of crap for a bad judgement call letting me do it
    That’s not right he does a lot for the forum and he felt sorry for me and wanted me to feel included

Im not having a go at necro at all at all.

You made yourself feel unincluded by believing you are above the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Folks this is an aside but I'm devastated that certain people are implying players had access to anything from the game on the other site.

If that's how you feel about me then I won't be back. I do not appreciate the insinuation that anything was deleted from the mod room. We had a discussion channel on discord which the link is open for people to view now.

There were three mods and Pter who viewed this game prior to it being released.

It smarts that after all the effort I put into the game, some would think I'd be as idiotic and braindead to allow anyone to spoil that.
    Anyone that has worked with me on a modding team in the past knows I would never do anything like that.

What would be the point? Personal Gain? I gave up a full WEEK to dedicate my time to mod this game and to have it implied I would allow someone to cheat is absolutely disgusting.

Comments like that are how you DESTROY a community. It's totally soured for me what was a great game that went the distance, and I'll be thinking long and hard whether or not to bother modding again if that's the sort of comments that are going to be thrown my way.

I don't believe that you allowed him look at the back rooms. That claim is more of his usual bs.

Obviously you put a lot of time and effort in, and I don't believe you'd waste that.

First was hay ddddddd
    As in Haydes

It doesn't matter what the posts say, you post you live with it, the rest of us manage it just fine.

As regards you getting permission to play anon, I don't know what I think about that.

I'm not having the whole hysterics act that the questioning of someone after another episode of forum rules circumvention, which was facilitated by said person would be what would destroy (:rolleyes:) the forum

I asked questions, in the privacy of our own backroom that I felt needed answering. While I don't believe myself to be a member of the werewolf Police I do feel as a player in the last game and part time contributor to the forum that I was entitled to ask. Especially when there was an element of favoritism applied to 1 individual over the 20 something others that played the last game.

A discussion was taking place after the game and one of the first posts by Necro is he won't be taking part in it, denying us his version of the the full story and denying himself the chance to put to bed any misunderstanding or misgivings I or others had about the game. His choice of course but if you don't want people to speculate you need to be up front with all questions asked. We are still waiting for the full version of the events something he doesn't have time to give while having time to play the poor me card.

Necro needs to pull up his big boy pants and realise people are going to be pissed and things will be question when the game (which I have no doubt he worked very hard on) was presented to 20 something other players with favoritism shown for 1 individual. A favouritism which gave that player an advantage over the rest of the field in the game.

I'll end by saying I leveled no accusation of cheating at him and repeat I don't even know how a Mod could cheat in a game as they can't essentially win it. IMO there was favoritism shown I merely wanted to see how deep the subterfuge went.

Necro is more then welcome to tell us the full story of events so we can put it all to bed. There is no need for the exaggerated accusations or the poor me attitude. Thats pretty much all i have to say on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

I’ve been first or second munched more times than anyone else last 4 non anon games iirc

I had this issue on the other forum. They even shot me knowing I was the seer for the lolz. Stuff happens, you just have to move on. Maybe people kill you because of the holier than though attitude and know it all. Yes you are great at spotting roles but the way you go about telling is smarmy and the same way you played as Barry. So what was the point? You manage to hide for days playing anon. To me, you just wanted to get caught. To flount rules don't count for tigger.
    So who told you Tigger had permission to play on an Anon account?

Has sKeith answered this? If not, why not,?
    Folks look I don't want to get drawn on this but I'm going to take some time off to reflect.

I think I'm too addicted to this game. It was a 'get as many players' as possible so my mechanics would work.

I apologise to everyone and I'll bow out of the next few games.

Don't go away, you do a great job! I guess you were on an awkward position. But it shouldn't have been allowed full stop.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I've been debating posting this the last 30 minutes. I'm not even sure if it's relevant to the topic at hand. If not, we can ignore and discuss elsewhere if necessary, but ....

I know there's the "don't be a sensitive soul" clause. But some comments in this, and previous games felt beyond the pale to me. I'm wondering the mechanics of solving that, without making Sully's job even more difficult. There's banter, there's friendly jibes. But, without going in to specifics (different versions of this post over the 30 minutes have gone in to the specifics and removed them as I debate with myself), some been more than that, and, frankly, spoils what is otherwise an enjoyable game.

Am I alone in thinking this? If I am, then maybe WW just isn't the game for me. If not, then what to do?

Agree here. I was upset with the attitude of some towards me. I was in an awkward position after the rules got changed. I went with it and made the best. But to be attacked the way I was, was bang out of order. I feel a mod should have made a post saying no personal attacks or something.
    Pter wrote: »
    To add, I've already said I don't want to punish first timers. It's the repeat flounting of the spirit and rules that's the issue for me.

If the mods made a mistake or error in judgement, or if they didn't at all, it certainly isn't a repeat one that I can see. And as others have said, making a mistake and learning is fine. Repeat breakages is not imo. That's what I want punished. Not anything isolated to this game.
    +1
    From a personal POV, it's player specific. Tigger's rereg was the least of it for me. It was his acting like an other forum player with his jargon and then sneering at the rest of us for not understanding it that bothered me far more. Bad enough if he was a guest from another forum, but when I realised who he was (I may have been super-slow on the update), it was worse because I then realised that it was deliberate as he knew we didn't know the jargon.

But it's also a general thing too, as I did think there was one other incident where a player got too personal with another player. I don't want to speak for them, so won't name names.

Think I covered that above and assume you talking about me?
    The different jargon thing got to me as he acted like we were inferior.
    Ya I do see snide remarks being passed to specific players by 1 maybe 2 have had a few but I've no idea what you could do about it tbh just laugh it off unless it gets bad.

It's not that easy to laugh off when 20 others on your back as well...

Anyway. I read the sign up and tigger going on about he was going to read from back room. Just reeks of being a total dick knowing he was playing...

I won't play with tigger again. He ruins most games in some way or another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just to give my 2 cents on this issue:

I believe that 99.9% of people who play the WW games here are here to enjoy the banter and the community spirit. We come to have a fun game and get our heads melted and feel paranoid for a week at a time. Winning is a nice plus but not the be all and end all.
    Tigger doesn't seem to play that way. He plays to win and has a Machiavellian approach to it. Which may be fine for some games but it doesn't suit the style of play that has developed here. There have been plenty of times where players have noticed something gamebreaky or weren't sure of a rule and have brought it to the attention of the mods rather than ruin the game. As far as I'm concerned and if I'm being honest, Tigger should have been banned outright after the sh1tstorm with the Community game. He destroyed that game in an attempt to win and it was inexcusable in my eyes.

My biggest issue with this game is the disrespect he showed everyone by going anon in a non-anon game. And the fact that he's not even apologetic about it. He clearly believes that he's better than everyone here and that the rules don't apply to him. And as a result he's caused trouble for necro and the other mods in the Disney game, trouble for sully, and for the entire forum.

It's my opinion that as soon as the deception was discovered in the game he should've been mod-killed immediately. I understand it might have imbalanced the game but I don't think any of the players would've objected. We cannot allow some infractions go when others (like not voting) are punished immediately. It may be unfair in the middle of a game but I would rather the integrity of the game be upheld. I think this should be the accepted norm going forward (I hate myself for using that phrase). Any rule breaking is not accepted.

There is the issue QB raised of the comments in game. We all know how heated it can get and it is understandable (I hope) when people (ie me) fly off the handle. I know there were a few inappropriate comments in the last game but when it's all said and done we're still friends when the game is over. I think that comments about a person's real life is just beyond the line however so I'd rather if we could agree not to bring that into it again. Totally fine to call people 'idiots who clearly can't read' though. :p

FWIW Necro I don't think anyone is accusing you of collusion here and you've been a fantastic mod who dealt with the issues that arose as best you could. No one can take away that this game has been very successful and entertaining. This is not your problem to take responsibility for. We may disagree with how it was handled but we all can agree that you did what you felt was best. Tigger's comments pre-game seem to have muddied the waters but I think that's the extent of it. No one is saying that you cheated or colluded in cheating. I really don't want to see you leave us because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

My question I would like to know. Did the mods know in advance that tigger was using a re-reg account to play.

If so then us all discovering properly when he posted was unfair. He had an advantage over us. He just shouldn't have been allowed to do it. It's not fair on the rest of us.

You can't end the game and punish tigger when he got caught off that is the case. Because the mods were at fault for being part of the deception in the first place.

In an anon game tigger asked me if he could sign up but be not post his name. Marvel game I think. I allowed this as everyone was anonymous anyway. He still broke my game though, so I got burnt for my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Some very light sluething shows me that the mods did discuss barry/tigger on the discord channel on Monday night, after the game had started.

Now that contradicts what tigger said about him asking for permission, unless he means he asked for permission to continue after it had been discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

Necro, In the interests of clarity for everyone could you tell us what actually happened here around the Barry signup. I do appreciate you’ve asked to step back from this but it would be very helpful for us as a community.

Some very light sluething shows me that the mods did discuss barry/tigger on the discord channel on Monday night, after the game had started.

Now that contradicts what tigger said about him asking for permission, unless he means he asked for permission to continue after it had been discovered.

That's what I meant when I said he should have been pulled when it came to light, if action had been taken at that stage, it wouldn't have unbalanced the game and none of this would be happening. It was also clear to me that this was the case at the time when Sully posted in the DR that there would have to be a discussion after the game. Both Mick and I asked about it in the DR.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tritium wrote:
    Necro, In the interests of clarity for everyone could you tell us what actually happened here around the Barry signup. I do appreciate you’ve asked to step back from this but it would be very helpful for us as a community.

I was trying so hard to get players for my game so the mechanics would work. I used the previous player list and PMed so many of those names, lots who didn't even dignify me with a response.

Tigger came to me and said he'd play but only under a pseudonym. I did say it was against boards rules but he told me not to worry about that side of things.

So I let it happen. I didn't do it maliciously, or to spoil anyone's fun but I wanted everyone to enjoy the game to it's full potential rather than reducing roles and devaluing the game (in my eyes)

I know it was wrong. And totally unfair. But it's being made out that I conspired to wreck my own game, and the aggressiveness of Mick in his questioning has me wondering what the point of it all is.

Anyways, TLDR. I'm sorry.

That's what I meant when I said he should have been pulled when it came to light, if action had been taken at that stage, it wouldn't have unbalanced the game and none of this would be happening. It was also clear to me that this was the case at the time when Sully posted in the DR that there would have to be a discussion after the game. Both Mick and I asked about it in the DR.

The game was a good game. It was a good game because of both the mods and the players. The mods made the call they made in the interests of the game. You have been a mod and know its not easy to make these decisions with 100% certainty in real time.

You also know that if you make a call based on what other people have told you, when you dont agree with that call, then how could you stand over it?

The mods and sully all decided not to stop the game. I respect you and Mick not agreeing with that call, but i think you should respect the call all the same. Because 'none of this would have happened' and 'the game would have been fine' are all hypotheticals. You have no way of knowing that would be the case.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think respect needs to be shown to boards rules and werewolf rules. Don't be a dick should be the number one rule in everyones mind, slight breaches happen, hell I made a stupid one in my first game and thought it was allowed. This forum and game is daunting for new players, a strike system should be in place for newer player. When you've played 4 or 5 games then you know what is and isnt allowed, so your intentionally breaching the rules your not respecting the game or the mods.

A balance between attracting new players and clearly laying down ground rules needs to happen. Sometimes the push is on to try get the max number of participants and that isn't always the best solution for the game.

People who break rules should be banned from the next game as a first offence. It's the only way you have an impact. Bans raise to two then three games till the point gets across or it doesnt. The only exception to this rule should be new player within their first couple of games. Most games at one stage are another mods are thinking on their feet trying to balance/rebalance or put out some fire.

+1 for Duffmans idea. 3 strikes and you're out.
    First strike, for things like personal attacks, deliberate rule breaking, posting stuff from the back room etc. Slap on the wrist and a strongly worded PM from mods to advise that this sort of stuff isn't tolerated.

Strike 2, 1 game ban.

(Strike 2a maybe? Banned for 6 months or something?)

Strike 3, access to the werewolf sub-forum revoked and a permanent ban.

I was trying so hard to get players for my game so the mechanics would work. I used the previous player list and PMed so many of those names, lots who didn't even dignify me with a response.

Tigger came to me and said he'd play but only under a pseudonym. I did say it was against boards rules but he told me not to worry about that side of things.

So I let it happen. I didn't do it maliciously, or to spoil anyone's fun but I wanted everyone to enjoy the game to it's full potential rather than reducing roles and devaluing the game (in my eyes)

I know it was wrong. And totally unfair. But it's being made out that I conspired to wreck my own game, and the aggressiveness of Mick in his questioning has me wondering what the point of it all is.

Fair play to you man. It was a lapse in judgement on an unprecedented situation. For me, the action here is to make sure it doesnt happen again in future games.

Tbh necro you probably should've run it past Sully to make sure it was ok. I don't think you made the right decision here but I don't think anyone is saying that you deliberately tried to wreck your own game. We all appreciate the level of work that is involved in these things.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Fair play to you man. It was a lapse in judgement on an unprecedented situation. For me, the action here is to make sure it doesnt happen again in future games.

Not all that unprecedented though. Okay, each circumstance has been different, but the precedent had been set by the same player being the one involved in issues in past games.

Not all that unprecedented though. Okay, each circumstance has been different, but the precedent had been set by the same player being the one involved in issues in past games.

Oh sorry i specifically meant i dont think anyone has ever signed up to a non-anon game with a second account, since we started doing anon and non-anon games.

Yeah but the problem here was Tigger, not Necro. Necro made a bad call, but it was Tigger that put him in that position to begin with by asking Necro to allow him to skirt the rules.

I’m not allowed reply btw and as I said I’m banned so can we just drop it?

I’m not allowed reply btw and as I said I’m banned so can we just drop it?

Don't come into the thread if you don't want to see the discussion. But the discussion still needs to be had for the future of the games.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah but the problem here was Tigger, not Necro. Necro made a bad call, but it was Tigger that put him in that position to begin with by asking Necro to allow him to skirt the rules.

Oh, I totally agree. My post wasn't meant to imply otherwise.

I can see a 3 strike system working.

An update of the charter with more solid examples of rule breaking, list of rules not to be broken. We currently have 2 rules and 1 half rule in the charter (no edits, meta is frowned upon (its either not allowed or it is imo) and dont take offense during the game).

Those are all fine rules and the charter does also say refer to OP of each game, but we have probably developed games from when the charter was originally written beyond just the above 3 i would think?

For me:

No edits
    Try not to be offended, but no personal abuse to be directed at players, especially concerning RL
    No cheating, no mass reveals, no copy pasting from PMs, no copy pasting from backrooms,
    In it to win it rule
    Respect the mods decisions
    Be active

Still also think we need a bigger/more comprehensive welcome post/thread for newbs to help smooth out some of the issues we have seen (i said that last time too and did nothing about it, so i think ill write a draft this time instead of doing nothing).

The mods and sully all decided not to stop the game. I respect you and Mick not agreeing with that call, but i think you should respect the call all the same. Because 'none of this would have happened' and 'the game would have been fine' are all hypotheticals. You have no way of knowing that would be the case.

When I say none of this would have happened I mean, this discussion. If the issue had been handled when it arose we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

I think mods discretion applies to in game breaches, I think breaking site rules shouldn't be minimised for the sake of a game, any game, even my game, because I think the integrity of our community is more important than an individual game or an individual mod team. We're having a conversation now about this as a group so we can plan how to deal with it moving forward. If I can't air my opinion on it now when may I?

when I say the game would have been fine, I mean a rebalance on D1 of the game would be infinitely easier than at the top of the last day. The game may have broken another way. Noone can know that

When I say none of this would have happened I mean, this discussion. If the issue had been handled when it arose we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

I think mods discretion applies to in game breaches, I think breaking site rules shouldn't be minimised for the sake of a game, any game, even my game, because I think the integrity of our community is more important than an individual game or an individual mod team. We're having a conversation now about this as a group so we can plan how to deal with it moving forward. If I can't air my opinion on it now when may I?

when I say the game would have been fine, I mean a rebalance on D1 of the game would be infinitely easier than at the top of the last day. The game may have broken another way. Noone can know that

As i said, i respect you disagreeing and airing your opinion. Please dont think anything to the contrary.

Also, this discussion probably needed to happen anyway.

Dont disagree a rebalance on D1 would have been easier, but as i said in other posts, it was a mistake/lapse in judgement, so lets make sure it doesnt happen again. I just dont agree with hypothethicals in retrospect.

• Advertisement

• sKeith wrote: »
    tigger posted
    "
    ---Quote (Originally by Mara Nutty Steamer)---
    Why shouldn't I arrow you Barney
    ---End Quote---
    Wait till BH gets up"
    as tigger,

then deleted it.

This frustrated me the most out of anything. There were two posts deleted. We all know deleting posts are against the rules. It's not like Tigger had lost his head at this stage. He was calm and calculated. Just don't do it ffs. You've blown your cover, deal with it. Tigger mentioned towards the start of the thread that other people sometimes do it, so that makes it okay??? Blatantly ignoring the rules and justifying it.

Advertisement