Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society-Carton House (O'Meara)-10:30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Remember it being a bombers paradise - custom designed for your needs :-)

Are you not making this one? I see they've updated their logo

qLIcrlL.jpg

In seriousness, I looked on google maps, and it looked like long iron off the tee was the way to go from the green tees. But we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Is it not bunker city? We played this a couple of years ago in boards if I'm not mistaking and it wasn't that long off the greens but there was a serious amount of fairway pot bunkers if you went into them you had no chance of making the green. You just had to play out of them.

benny79 wrote: »
    We played this a couple of years ago in boards..

That was the monty. I remember it well as it was the only boards event (counting) that I won!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

3 Par 5's in the first 6 holes oh this could be a bruiser of a day!

Fingers toes eyes crossed it will be a dry one.

woodyg wrote: »
    Fingers toes eyes crossed it will be a dry one.

Forecast has improved as we get closer to the weekend. There were previously calls of frost on the ground for Sat morning, but no more! :D:D:D

Saturday: A few light showers but generally dry for the day; rain to spread eastwards during the evening /early night. A little milder with highs of 7 to 10 C in moderate southwest breezes.

We should be well in before the rain crossing the country hits us. Perhaps a few light showers to contend with. But sure it'll be nice to test out the new rain jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

For those of you who don't know the course

https://vimeo.com/channels/1343507

https://twitter.com/CartonHouseGolf/status/964429194141736960

Hopefully tonight and tomorrow morning is milder! :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its promised some rain later so we should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Looking forward to this. First boards outing for me and first trip to Carton House!!! Hope there is loads of space way right off the first tee :o

See ye tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

enjoy lads gutted i couldnt make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

martinkop wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. First boards outing for me and first trip to Carton House!!! Hope there is loads of space way right off the first tee :o

See ye tomorrow:)

I could have written this exact post, first for me too!!
    "Fore right" seems to be my catchphrase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

enjoy lads. hope to see ye in dromoland for the only one I can make this year. feckin in laws kids and their communion...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emurphalot

Hi lads. Just letting ye know that may not make it tomorrow. Wife after getting a vomiting bug and is really sick so reckon it’s very doubtful I’ll be able to go as have 4 month old at home that’ll need taking care of. Will make call on it in morning. Was dying to play this so really gutted but who knows. Will see in morning. Hope this doesn’t put ye out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

There’s a frost delay for at least an hour lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

There’s a frost delay for at least an hour lads

What time you want us down for now? It should clear up quick this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emurphalot

I’m good to go too so see ye down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm presuming PostPunk is driving so hard to get an update.

I rang Carton, course inspection at 9.30. The guy on the phone sounded confident of a 20-30 minute delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

On the way up now with Post. They called us there the course is opening at 9.45 and there will be a 15minute delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

At the range now warming up. Smallest bucket is 60 balls, way more than I need. Welcome to come grab some. In the last stall on the Right side

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

any updates ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I finished my round bang on 5pm, third last group.

Think the first group Tee'd off at about 11.15 and it was quite bunched up all day with most having very long rounds.

I started well and went Par Par Par and that was about the best I done, only made one more Par on the front and the back was filled with doubles and scratches. Still,not bad, shanked everything at the range Thursday and was truly dreading my performance today. It wasn't a good round but it was golf.

Course was in very good condition in most places for the time of year. First time playing it and I enjoyed it but would rate Monty and Headfort above it. The bad play would probably colour my opinion of it but I found some holes quite plain and the bunkers very bare, for such steep bunkers I couldn't splash out which cost me.

Still had a enjoyable round with Break80 and NewInDublin, Kieran very solid and Jobe hit some very good shots when it all came togther.

I'll definitly get Moyvalley at the end of the year and hopefully a few more.

SYNZo0t.jpg

kXH8wq3.jpg

pyC8zOU.jpg

8zDUR8D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

5:45hrs for the round?!?!

5:45hrs for the round?!?![/quo
    te]
    Frost delayed by an hour but still 5 hours

Just in the door, left my place at 7:20am this morning.........:(:(
    1st Brian Rossiter 36 points
    2nd The Champ 36 points
    3rd Break 80 -35 points
    Nearest the pin Spudmonkey
    (2nd longest drive :):)) Post Punk

Lovely day for it and nice to play in the sun again.

As always enjoyed the round. I felt I was playing well on the day, but on reflection maybe not. I just wasn't wedging close enough. And my short putting got worse throughout the round. 4-6footers in particular, I seemed to miss them all, which cost me significantly. I missed easily 6 separate 4 footers, I had a duffed chip, left a ball in the bunker once, and lost a ball. Which should have obliterated my score. But I finished with 31pts, which indicates my fortunes could have been better if I just had of got my head together on the day. I need to stop letting a few poor breaks dictate the rest of my round.

The company was great. Spudmonkey is a class golfer with a complete game. As deadly around the greens as he is off the tee. He should have won, but had a mini 2 hole meltdown which cost him. Charlie was hitting it well struggled a little around the greens too, a lost ball on the fairway on 17 ended his chances. Balls were plugging particularly badly on the day. Davegilly is new to golf, but you wouldn't know it from his swing. A fantastic powerful swing & hits the ball a mile. Some work on the short game and I guarantee he'll be cutting through that handcap in no time.

I had to run after signing my card. Frost delayed the start unfortunately and a slow round meant I was very delayed arriving home. Sadly this will mean regular society outings for me aren't workable at home any longer :( I'll try make the captains later in the year and I'll be following each of the rest of the rounds closely on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Lads just saw my name was on the timesheet. I didn't accept on teamer as far as I could tell (couldn't figure it out) and then PMed Seve also to say I couldn't go.

Apologies for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Lads just saw my name was on the timesheet. I didn't accept on teamer as far as I could tell (couldn't figure it out) and then PMed Seve also to say I couldn't go.

Apologies for confusion.

You didn't PM me. :confused:

you must have accepted on Teamer as there is no other way your name would be down, but I guess it maybe that you did accept and just didn't realise it.

Anyway, no point in sending PM's if you can't go, it should be posted on thread so everyone knows and you aren't relying on one person in particular to relay a message.

rant over, thanks for posting the appology

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Really enjoyed (most) of my round on Saturday, first time playing the course so not as adventurous with some approach shots. Started off fine but yet again, once i hit the 9th or 10th hole the wheels come off the wagon. Severe lack of fitness is my problem i reckon.
    Few shots went astray on me and cost me big time but still, as I shake off the winter cobwebs, am not too disappointed just yet.
    Yet again some fantastic friendly company, two new and one familiar faces and some cracking golf played. Was a pleasure to watch.

Even though it didn't feel it, it was a long round. Maybe the likes of Carton doesn't suit a society as:
    a) - we had to go out in 4 balls ahead of 3 balls (club insisted on this)
    b) - its a long course, 6419-ish of greens which we actually white on Saturday and
    c) - there are a few treks between holes

There's not a lot we can do about the above but still try keep the pace up as best we can.
    Our group were out first, I didn't think we were slow, there was very little time looking for balls as the rough was low and mostly we weren't far off fairways, very few provisional balls had to be hit so am not sure why it took so long. If its me, please please let me know and I'll most definitely do something to speed up.

Overall, I actually really really enjoyed the round and the course and delighted we got to play it - well done Captain.
    Am looking forward to playing it again later in the year.

No blame with anyone. Almost every ball I hit plugged. So each shot I hit even if I found it right away had to mark the ball, wipe it clean, replace. There was times I had to look for my ball even on the fairway. At least once I spent almost the full 5 minutes trying to find it when it was just on the fringe. It was actually below the ground and could only be seen it when I was within a 5foot radius of it.

edit: they need to something about the ball, it's going too far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First great pics there Dan. Were they with a phone or an actual camera? really great quality.

Roadrunner, will be sorry not to have you around all year, you have been a good addition to the society. But there was nobody in front of you!!!! :D

It is a long course though and with the soft ground it was always going to be a bit of a longer round than normal. I would say that playing in fourballs, that is easily a 4:30 round in the height of summer, sure some of the hikes from greens to teeboxes were as long as you might expect a hole to be! It would be fair to expect an extra 15 minutes or so with the soft ground at this time of year. I think we finished (second group) in about 5:15, so a little slow, but not ridiculous all things considered. We were waiting on the guys in front on a good few shots, but then there were gaps opened and closed as we looked for balls etc. Have to appologise to them as I flushed probably my best drive of the day down 16 and it was only after our last man teed off that I saw a head bobbing over the bunker in the distance, so sorry about that one guys, I had no idea you were still there.

Company on the day was great, I played with timgolfer, Macker and theChamp. Macker was as ever, solid as a rock, especially around the greens, some lovely chips and putts. A couple of untypical poor shots probably cost him on the day a decent finishing position. theChamp was on form, some cracking drives, got very unlucky with a lost ball on 8 and I think he might have had a double Hitler on 11! 2 holes which cost him dearly. timgolfer is off 18coughcoughcough!!!!! :eek::eek: yea right :cool: Right from the off, this guys was on form, flushing nearly every drive he hit straight down the middle and long! some great putts held, none moreso than the 25 footer he held for a 2 on the second. Out with 22 but a shakey back 9 meant he only finished with 35 points, but this guy is one to watch, great player. All 3 off the lads made for a very enjoyable round.

My own game started as it finished... an almost lost ball sprayed way off to the right, only to be found and recovered with pars. My driving really was not good on Saturday with exception of no more than 4 holes, and really only 2 good drives. However, I was lucky on a few occasions that my bad drives were still playable and very good iron play kept me well in the game. So even though I missed a 4footer on the second for my 2 and another soft 3 foot missed putt on 8, I still managed to turn with 20 points. I was sure that there would be a 40 points in there on Saturday and was quite surprised that 36 won. As it happens, I lost my chance of victiory on 17 when after been well down the middle, with the green in sight, I duffed, pushed, sliced and god knows what else i did with my second shot and it resulted in a lost ball. So I dropped a provo and of course nailed that one in the sweet spot with my 3 wood from 239 yards to finish about 20 foot from the hole. My putt was one of a few good ones on the day and another roll or 2 would have seen it drop, but I had to settle with a respectable 6 and walked off with a point saved.

When I look back, it really was a round which could have been. So 2 missed putts on the front 9 were followed up with a 3 putt on 10, another missed 3 footer on 13 for birdie, a pathetic chip on 14 left me with 15 foot which I then 3 putted. Greenside in 2 on 15 was followed with a slightly hard chip and left with about 20 foot....another 3putt. A good shot in to 16... 4 piutt this time... my head was gone before I walked onto the green, which is not like me as normally I can keep it together and bounce back. Thankfully I did have a very nice putt on 17 and a great approach on 18 saw me with testing right to left breaker of about 4 foot, but thankfully a confident putting stroke saw it drop dead centre.

So a 35 points that could have easily been a whole lot better. I reckon at least 8 very soft shots left out there on the greens and a lost ball :( So disapointing but there were signs there for another good season to come. Will be away on holidays for the next one lads, and not so sure I'll make it to Douglas, but will be back for deffo after that, hopefully a bit sharper on the greens :D

Advertisement