Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting of the Irish Open... The Big 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

McGinley have more influence within the game at this moment in time weather you like it or not. Hopefully Lowry gets to a stage were he will also be considered a suitable host.

Think.this is a great idea and great for the game within Ireland but hopefully it doesn't just go north/south when the northern/southern lads are hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Eoinyh wrote: »
    I understand, you admire him. I like my golf Heros to win big events myself. Golf World Cup-a nothing 2 ball event, Ryder cup-team event played every 2 years, good crack and competitive at times, media sell it on past glories as "a crucial shot at a crucial time"to win, it's usually one shot. I don't see it like that,that he carries himself in public with honour, in fact I see it as the opposite, i think he spurts out the same old rubbish, safe, won't upset anyone or damage his marketability, milk, milk, milk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ2bKlMu5w
    Have a look at this nonsense, IMO that is not carrying yourself well in public and that is the tip off the iceberg with that rubbish coming out of him.
    Granted 20th in world rankings is good achievement, but then again you can get to world No.1 and never win!!!!!!!! It's all about winning and winning the big ones.
    Getting back to were this started, I would put Lowry streets ahead of him

as I said, Not a hero of mine at all, Don't think I can stress that enough, I have no Hero's, I have golfers I admire for different reasons. McGinley is one of them, I have been in his company a couple of times and found him very engaging and interesting to talk to about golf his experience.

Shane Lowery is a superb golfer and I have no doubt that he will be in the winners enclosure again, But, does not have the experience not the pull that McGinley has in the Global game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

If European tournaments needed their hosts to be major winners, they’d be very thin on the ground unfortunately. Let’s face it, most major winners are American broadly speaking.
    For the record, I don’t rate McGinley’s punditry at all and I think Sky somehow treat him like he’s the oracle and fountain of all knowledge. Then again, it’s golf, there’s not a whole lot to say really, the pictures tell the story, unless you buy into the “tell us what was going through your mind” bo11oxology that interviewers go for these days. That’s not the point, he’s high profile because of his career on and off the course, and I’m assuming/guessing that with Sky’s coverage of Euro Tour events, this was somehow a factor.

Shane may well end up having a better playing career than McGinley but at the moment I’d say he’s not as recognisable in global terms as regards hosting a big tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Eoinyh wrote: »
    I understand, you admire him. I like my golf Heros to win big events myself. Golf World Cup-a nothing 2 ball event, Ryder cup-team event played every 2 years, good crack and competitive at times, media sell it on past glories as "a crucial shot at a crucial time"to win, it's usually one shot. I don't see it like that,that he carries himself in public with honour, in fact I see it as the opposite, i think he spurts out the same old rubbish, safe, won't upset anyone or damage his marketability, milk, milk, milk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ2bKlMu5w
    Have a look at this nonsense, IMO that is not carrying yourself well in public and that is the tip off the iceberg with that rubbish coming out of him.
    Granted 20th in world rankings is good achievement, but then again you can get to world No.1 and never win!!!!!!!! It's all about winning and winning the big ones.
    Getting back to were this started, I would put Lowry streets ahead of him

What's Wrong with the Video?
    He's talking about his management style during the Ryder Cup?! um what looks like a corporate promo for Investec.....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Jesus what a nation of begrudgers.

This isn’t about golfing ability.

You need one thing and one thing only to be a host of an event like this, and that is influence.

Paul McGinley has significantly more influence in the game than Shane Lowry. Hence his decent, but hardly inspiring, pro golf career was rewarded with the highest captaincy honour in the game.

His gravitas may not actually extend into modern generation golfers, but I’m sure you’ll find that he has a corporate pull that adds to the prize pool, so he will attract them in that way.

—-

As for “hopefully the 3/2 split doesn’t reflect in a 3/2 split for the courses”, FFS 3 of 4 most decorated golfers from this island all happen to come from the north. That’s an unalterable fact, and not a statement of political intent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Surprised Shane was left off that.

Maybe he was asked, and turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Shane, as like Rory is trying to do by passing on the hosting baton from next year and as McGinley has pointed out on the announcement of this thing, should be focused solely on his playing career at the moment and not be bothered by this distraction. The selection is not based on was/is the best golfers, its based on who has time and influence. I have no doubt Shane will be on the rota in 6 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd love to see Portmarnock or Ballybunion host again, what are the chances I wonder? I'd guess Ballybunion is unlikely, maybe Portmarnock though?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I'd imagine Harrington will push for Portmarnock when it's his turn

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »
    I'd love to see Portmarnock or Ballybunion host again, what are the chances I wonder? I'd guess Ballybunion is unlikely, maybe Portmarnock though?
    martinkop wrote: »
    I'd imagine Harrington will push for Portmarnock when it's his turn

I would imagine their membership restrictions are stopping them from holding it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Parents telling me about some interview with McGinley, apparently he's the 2019 host and Rosses Point is the desired venue. Anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mushy wrote: »
    Parents telling me about some interview with McGinley, apparently he's the 2019 host and Rosses Point is the desired venue. Anyone else hear that?

Not sure on Rosses Point but it will be a links and south of Dublin apparently according to the interview with McGinley

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

slingerz wrote: »
    Not sure on Rosses Point but it will be a links and south of Dublin apparently according to the interview with McGinley

European club please. Parents 20 mins away so very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Surely he'll return to the scene of his greatest triumph and bring the boys to Lahinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Rikand wrote: »

Surely he'll return to the scene of his greatest triumph and bring the boys to Lahinch!
    He'll go to wherever the European tour tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Rikand wrote: »

You could be right. See the link below. As a Clareman I hope that this is true.

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2018/2/20/lahinch-enters-irish-open-frame-for-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You could be right. See the link below. As a Clareman I hope that this is true.

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2018/2/20/lahinch-enters-irish-open-frame-for-2019

Irish golf desk following me on boards.ie - my stock is going up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

As a Clare man I would love to see it in Lahinch. Parking might be the big concern

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great news, Lahinch/Portrush the best two courses in Ireland IMHO (just RCD left for me to play so time will tell if RCD better)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Yeah Lahinch would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

would be amazing if the wind got up thats for sure! would expect there to be restrictions on the numbers attending the event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

definitely it would be cool to see it there but could it cope with the logistics, traffic, parking, access.
    i suppose where there's a will there's a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

fearruanua wrote: »
    definitely it would be cool to see it there but could it cope with the logistics, traffic, parking, access.
    i suppose where there's a will there's a way.

Ballybunion managed it back in 2000. Similar towns, but of course it's a bigger tournament now.
    Love to see it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Rory flexing his influence.......good on him!!

https://twitter.com/TheCaddysReview/status/968428729960730625

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Jawgap wrote: »
    Rory flexing his influence.......good on him!!

https://twitter.com/TheCaddysReview/status/968428729960730625

What a two weeks for Irish golf that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

HighLine wrote: »
    What a two weeks for Irish golf that would be.

Indeed!!

I just have visions of glorious weather, pros turning up at all kinds of events/courses to play as part of their prep and really great buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That'll be a good week. That's the kind of influence that Shane just doesn't have (YET!)

Which means the 2019 will be on a links course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Keano wrote: »
    Which means the 2019 will be on a links course?

Yeah it will have to be, makes sense. As I've previously stated on here though, we have great parkland courses in this country too so I'd prefer to see more of those. Or at least alternate yearly between links and parkland.

Advertisement