Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Confirmation and regular attendance at Mass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

That's funny, because I attended Mass regularly before my confirmation and haven't attended since. It's as if my Ma said to God "Right, my job is done. He's your problem now."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A priest in Enniscorthy has said that parents who want their children to make their Confirmation must attend Mass. I think he's right. People taking part in sacraments that are completely meaningless to them seems very hypocritical to me, and insulting to the people to whom they have religious significance.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/confirmation-children-families-must-attend-mass-says-priest-1.3385833

Pity they aren't so gung ho when it comes to baptisms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A priest in Enniscorthy has said that parents who want their children to make their Confirmation must attend Mass. I think he's right. People taking part in sacraments that are completely meaningless to them seems very hypocritical to me, and insulting to the people to whom they have religious significance.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/confirmation-children-families-must-attend-mass-says-priest-1.3385833

Dump child at school in the hope they'll take care of religous instruction, live life outside tenants of religion you claim to be a member of, decry change to status quo, rinse and repeat. A nation of poxy hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I completely agree, so is the catholic church going to arrange to give back 90% of primary schools to the state and thus remove the baptism barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

To be honest I'm quite happy for my child to skip the whole nonsense around religion and communion and confirmation and believe it should be taken outside of school. Unfortunately my missus believes this would penalise him regarding school places etc so she's made the decision that he would take part in these despite my wishes.
    But seriously..how on earth would a priest know who's going to mass every week? "I'm sitting at the back father" lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Trey Quick Flame

Blazer wrote: »
    To be honest I'm quite happy for my child to skip the whole nonsense around religion and communion and confirmation and believe it should be taken outside of school. Unfortunately my missus believes this would penalise him regarding school places etc so she's made the decision that he would take part in these despite my wishes.
    But seriously..how on earth would a priest know who's going to mass every week? "I'm sitting at the back father" lol

In Dublin it would be difficult but in smaller country parishes not so much I would imagine.

The debate around the baptism barrier is a valid one, but not really the subject of this thread. It is not compulsory for any child to make their Confirmation so why do so many parents, including those who are against the baptism issue, present their child for it and Communion, when they don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes but how many if the Children are only Catholic because of the schools admission policy ? The preparation for Confirmation takes up massive amounts timewise in 6th Class, kids whose parents have no choice in the matter, as kids not receiving confirmation may be seen as different by their class mates ?

Solution to all of this is to take religious teaching and preparation for sacraments out if schools. If a parent want their children indoctrinated in the Catholic Church or any church it should be done at home.

If priests want religious education let them take Sunday Schools after mass on a Sunday.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Yes but how many if the Children are only Catholic because of the schools admission policy ? The preparation for Confirmation takes up massive amounts timewise in 6th Class, kids whose parents have no choice in the matter, as kids not receiving confirmation may be seen as different by their class mates ?

Solution to all of this is to take religious teaching and preparation for sacraments out if schools. If a parent want their children indoctrinated in the Catholic Church or any church it should be done at home.

If priests want religious education let them take Sunday Schools after mass on a Sunday.

I think Sunday Schools are going to be the way forward, as it makes no sense for parents who never go to Mass to be taking part in Communion and Confirmation ceremonies.

In Dublin it would be difficult but in smaller country parishes not so much I would imagine.

The debate around the baptism barrier is a valid one, but not really the subject of this thread. It is not compulsory for any child to make their Confirmation so why do so many parents, including those who are against the baptism issue, present their child for it and Communion, when they don't have to?

It is deffinitely the subject of the thread if a priest is identifying parents being guilty of this when performing one sacrament but not the other. He's quite happy to turn a blind eye to the baptism issue as it keeps the churches numbers up.

Hes a hypocrite but tbh i wouldn't expect much better from a any member of the catholic church

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

A class if 30 kids. 3 don't wish to get a sacrament. Then three kids will be seen as different by their classmates, so much school time is taken up with preparation what are then 3 kid going to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TBH, I think your wife is right, as sad and all as that is.

Just be sure to constantly tell him it's all bollox and you're literally just ticking a box so he can claim to be Catholic if his school requires it, and he should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's such bollox. Friend of mine is having a humanist wedding, him and the Mrs are openly atheist, none of the a la carte catholic business, but they've had the kid baptized so they have a choice of national schools in the locality. They've decided to let the child go through all the catholic rituals/teaching in school because they don't want him excluded or feeling different. All that tripe should be removed from school hours and only attended to evening and weekends. Then we'd see who the real Catholics are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Isn't it the kid that's getting confirmed?
    Why are the parents being hard shouldered into getting out of bed on they're day off?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    TBH, I think your wife is right, as sad and all as that is.

Just be sure to constantly tell him it's all bollox and you're literally just ticking a box so he can claim to be Catholic if his school requires it, and he should be grand.

Genuine question, not being sarcastic, but do you actually know of any child who's been penalised for not making their Communion or Confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

kneemos wrote: »
    Isn't it the kid that's getting confirmed?
    Why are the parents being hard shouldered into getting out of bed on they're day off?

If you look at it from the churches perspective, then parents absolutely should be taking their kids to mass in the build up to their confirmation. It is supposed to the sacrament where the child is initiated into the cult community and is the coming of age ceremony, so it stands to reason parents would support them in this.

In reality, all these rituals are no more important to parents than the Christmas nativity play. Just one more yolk you have to go to!

I wonder what genuine Catholics feel about people using their faith as an excuse for a party. Do they feel insulted by it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's the exact subject of the thread. If religion was out of the schools then the only families that would pursue confirmation would be those who it means something to. If the priest really wants only religious families to have their children confirmed he should be campaigning for the divestment of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Agricola wrote: »
    If you look at it from the churches perspective, then parents absolutely should be taking their kids to mass in the build up to their confirmation. It is supposed to the sacrament where the child is initiated into the cult community and is the coming of age ceremony, so it stands to reason parents would support them in this.

In reality, all these rituals are no more important to parents than the Christmas nativity play. Just one more yolk you have to go to!

Guarantee you the church is way more eager to get the kid confirmed than the vast majority of the parents.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wonder what genuine Catholics feel about people using their faith as an excuse for a party. Do they feel insulted by it?

I doubt they care as they know well if the baptism barrier is removed their official numbers will plummet to show the real number of people they have and they then wont have the ability to enforce their beliefs on everyone else so easily

Genuine question, not being sarcastic, but do you actually know of any child who's been penalised for not making their Communion or Confirmation?

We have been told by every school near us as they are all catholic that if our child is not baptised they will be at the bottom of any admissions list and not guaranteed a place.

I pay my taxes that fund these schools yet unless I forcibly sign my child up to say they believe in fairies they wont get a place.

• Advertisement

Most practising Catholics I know really dislike the way sacraments have become so meaningless and would prefer that only genuine Catholics took part in them.

I think the Church is in a difficult position. If they put their foot down and refused to baptise, Confirm or allow making of Holy Communion for children from non practising families they would be attacked. If they allow it they're accused of hypocrisy.

VinLieger wrote: »
    We have been told by every school near us as they are all catholic that if our child is not baptised they will be at the bottom of any admissions list and not guaranteed a place.

I pay my taxes that fund these schools yet unless I forcibly sign my child up to say they believe in fairies they wont get a place.

Yes I understand that. I was just wondering about Communion and Confirmation.

Most practising Catholics I know really dislike the way sacraments have become so meaningless and would prefer that only genuine Catholics took part in them.

Why arent they out campaigning for divestment then?

Yes I understand that. I was just wondering about Communion and Confirmation.

Why are you obsessed with confirmation and communion? Are you saying its okay to fake it for baptism but the other 2 its not?

Why are you obsessed with confirmation and communion? Are you saying its okay to fake it for baptism but the other 2 its not?

No I've said I realise that the Baptism barrier is an issue, but have genuinely never heard of Confirmation or Communion being used as a criteria for anything so am wondering why non practising parents seem to willingly take part in these? It's a genuine question by the way.

No I've said I realise that the Baptism barrier is an issue, but have genuinely never heard of Confirmation or Communion being used as a criteria for anything so am wondering why non practising parents seem to willingly take part in these? It's a genuine question by the way.

It was answered above, the children who dont go through the process with the rest of their class usually are made feel to be missing out, they dont also get to have a big party and all the extras like presents that go along with the whole farce.

The last thing any child of that age wants is to be made feel different and have it visibly pointed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Pete Tong

They don't want their kids to miss out on the party.
    They also don't want their kids to stand out or be different.
    (what VinLieger above said)

For them, it's just a party with a boring Church bit at the beginning.

May I ask you for your personal opinion Trey Quick Flame - would you have a problem with religion being removed from schools? - you could still do this stuff in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

God would know.

It was answered above, the children who dont go through the process with the rest of their class usually are made feel to be missing out, they dont also get to have a big party and all the extras like presents that go along with the whole farce.

The last thing any child of that age wants is to be made feel different and have it visibly pointed out

Do they though? I've known loads of kids in Catholic schools who didn't do them and no one cared or teased them.

• Advertisement

I was actually querying the posters who implied that children 'lose out' when it comes to school places going forward. I was wondering if that actually happens, and do secondary schools discriminate against kids who haven't received their First Communion or Confirmation.

Advertisement