Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow paced RPGs

• 13-02-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Sign up here for a slow paced RPG (max two posts a day from each player and I promise it won't get faster, unless everybody wants it to!)

Games are:
    The Ward: Medical Drama, essentially ER, games are usually short
    Apocalypse World: Post-Apocalyptic game where the exact setting is created by the players.
    Traveller: Gritty, "working-man" sci-fi set in an universe of 11,000 inhabited worlds

I'm willing to run two if people wish.

The Ward and Apocalypse World use the same rules, where the players have a good bit of control over what happens and the rules are quite simple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

In order of preference:
    A)Traveller
    B)Apoc World
    C)The Ward
    because:
    A)"Traveller became infamous in that a character could die during the character creation process before the process was finished."
    B)'cos it's not A or C
    C) What da fug?!? Sounds awful.

Definitely up for the first two though.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Can i dive in and try it out? No experience whatsoever, but this pace sounds like it might be a good way of getting involved.

Preference:

Apocalypse
    Traveller
    The Ward

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not a sign up... slow paced games I be staying away from :o

I thought The Ward looked really good though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I'd like to give it a go, similar to Pter, pace would suit me more than the others :)
    Apocalypse world or traveler for me, happy with either of those

Necrominus wrote: »
    Not a sign up... slow paced games I be staying away from :o

I thought The Ward looked really good though :(
    Only if you can get to be Dr. Robert Romano and pick fights with helicopters.

As for not signing up, why not? I'm sure you could manage a post or two per night/day while you are also running around the old west. You'll still have your fast paced game but also have this simmering slowly in the background, becoming more unctuous over time, flavour deepening with each additional post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OldGoat wrote: »
    Only if you can get to be Dr. Robert Romano and pick fights with helicopters.

As for not signing up, why not? I'm sure you could manage a post or two per night/day while you are also running around the old west. You'll still have your fast paced game but also have this simmering slowly in the background, becoming more unctuous over time, flavour deepening with each additional post.

Don't tempt me... I also have Vampire: The Masquerade at the moment, I really don't want Four to get sick of me too soon :pac:

Tbh it's better if I don't clog up all the games and let some new players find their feet without my sometimes overpowering speeches and all consuming plots. I'll definitely be following along though.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Don't tempt me... I also have Vampire: The Masquerade at the moment, I really don't want Four to get sick of me too soon :pac:

Tbh it's better if I don't clog up all the games and let some new players find their feet without my sometimes overpowering speeches and all consuming plots. I'll definitely be following along though.
    Create a mute character who is amoral, indifferent and apathetic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I will also give this another go. Traveller, Apocalypse World in order of preference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you're playing Traveller or Apoc and you need an extra player, especially if that player needs to have an inverse genderal relationship to their character, count me in! Obviously, with Deadlands and potentially Shadowrun, non-affiliated sign-ups should get preference.

I'd recommend everyone have a go of the Traveller character creators, they're a game unto themselves. Disappointment follows failure follows setback, and then sometimes the sweet release of death breaks you out of the rut.
    In space, everyone is 34. Or dead.

Have you a link for them Banjo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

yes. Yes I do.

Edit : Oh, you want me to share them?
    http://www.munsondev.com/chargen/

http://travellerv2.azurewebsites.net/
    I used the 2nd link myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

http://www.munsondev.com/chargen/

this has 1st edition and 2nd edition ruleset generators.

Ok munsondev is blocked for me so I'm going through the travellerv2 one. First character I made failed. Do I just keep creating new characters and going through the rolls until I get to the end?

What the hell is muster out? I thought the guy was dead but it's just given me another career. I don't get it.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    What the hell is muster out? I thought the guy was dead but it's just given me another career. I don't get it.

your military squad has been disbanded. you are not dead, phew!

So I just keep going? I assume at some point it will tell me I'm ready to play? Or does this continue endlessly? This is weird.

Well, you stop before you character needs a zimoframe to get around.

If you have a good career, you pick up some skills, some cash, and possibly boost a stat or two.

sKeith wrote: »
    Well, you stop before you character needs a zimoframe to get around.

Oops. He's 98. Lol. Better start again so.

EDIT: although the generator says 'Age has no effect on you' so maybe he's fine to keep going. His strength, dexterity and endurance are all 1 though.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Oops. He's 98. Lol. Better start again so.

A sprightly 98 or a decrepid one?

• Advertisement

Well his stats are:
    Strength: 1
    Dexterity: 1
    Endurance: 1
    Intellect: 11
    Education: 3
    Social: 2

So he's basically like Yoda. With less force flipping and fighting.

Wow they are low stats. Just tried it out for the craic. Here's my guys stuff:

Name: Necrominus

Race: Kkree

Characteristics:

Strength: 9

Dexterity: 9

Endurance: 9

Intelligence: 5

Education: 5

Social: 3

That's fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Okay I'm going to go with Traveller.

Welcome Pter and conor222! I'll make a few posts about the world and making your character later today.

We'll be starting off in Walston:
    https://travellermap.com/?x=-101.457&y=47.69&scale=207.9375

A bit more zoomed out:
    https://travellermap.com/?x=-101.758&y=48&scale=64

Clicking on worlds gives you a pop with a drop down with info about them. By default info is in number form, but drop downs expand that. The drop down also has a link to the world's Traveller wiki entry. No need to read any of this, just if you're interested.

So a small bit about the Traveller world, if I zoom out to the largest scale:
    https://travellermap.com/?x=-2295.934&y=5712.39&scale=0.0390625

Traveller is mostly set in the collection of roughly 11,000 worlds called "Charted Space", the little red blob at the edge of the Milky Way in the link above. In addition to the humans from Earth, there are also two major other branches of humanity, the Zhodani and the Vilani. Both are groups of humans taken from Earth around 300,000 years ago.

Looking at chartered space:
    https://travellermap.com/?x=9.581&y=-21.586&scale=2.640625

The major powers where we are:
    Solomani Sphere: The empire of humans from Earth, Terrans.
    The Imperium: Not really an empire, but a protection racket of sorts. If a world pays for membership of the Imperium, the Imperium will guard its solar system and is really a combined Navy paid for by all the worlds. Most citizens are a Terran-Vilani mix.
    The Aslan Hierate: The empire of a race that looks somewhat like a lion called the Aslan (real name difficult for humans), although culturally not like lions.
    Zhodani Consulate: Psychic humans from the planet Zhodane. Very odd culture that is best shown in game.

Character:
    Briefly just how your character works.

They have two components, Characteristics and Skills. Characteristics are basic facts about them (Strength, Social Standing, Intelligence) and Skills are learned abilities (engineering, piloting).

The characteristics are:
    Strength
    Dexterity
    Endurance
    Intelligence
    Education
    Social
    Psi

They can run from 2-12 typically, although Psi often runs from 0-8.
    Most are clear. Social is how high up in society you are. Psi is your psychic strength, for most people this will be zero.

Examples of Skills are:
    Broker (haggling)
    Comms (Ship communications)
    Computers

Skills typically run from 0-4. "Computers 0" would mean you have basic training in computers, "Computers 4" implies a doctoral level expert in computation.

Making Character:
    Either run through this fellow that Banjo linked:
    http://travellerv2.azurewebsites.net/

or if that makes little sense, PM me to go through it. If you use the link above, take note of the life events and PM them to me.

Basic idea is that you guide your character from the start of their career at 18, until 34 or so, when they leave ready to hit the stars.

Quite busy today. I'll go through the characters I have been sent in the morning. Apologies for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Fourier wrote: »
    Quite busy today. I'll go through the characters I have been sent in the morning. Apologies for this.

No worries! :)

How should I lay out my character?
    I just generated one there and there is a lot in the events section!

conor222 wrote: »
    How should I lay out my character?
    I just generated one there and there is a lot in the events section!

How old is he/she? I think I got about 4 turns before my character turned 34. I just stopped there.

I think Four only needs to know about any major life events. I didn't have any with mine so I just told him about the other events. Not sure if he needs to know that though.

Make sure you have the main stats included along with the skills your character has. I put the events after that. I gave a little bit of background to mine too but I don't think that's strictly necessary. Only if you want to. And I had to do some research to make a backstory.

• Advertisement

I got to 38 and finished up in the career, I will say I found some of the generation both fun and very confusing :P
    So background, main stats, and skills I can see. Things like allies and enemies ,where would you record those?
    Also, I have some skills multiple times or at both 0 and 1 level?

Advertisement