Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow paced RPGs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

conor222 wrote: »
    I got to 38 and finished up in the career, I will say I found some of the generation both fun and very confusing :P
    So background, main stats, and skills I can see. Things like allies and enemies ,where would you record those?
    Also, I have some skills multiple times or at both 0 and 1 level?

I'd put down the highest level you have in a skill. So ignore the 0 if you have a 1 in it.

Ooh I didn't make any enemies or allies. I'd say stick them in after the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I simply copy/paste everything to Fourier and let him sort it out. I fully expect this to come back and bite me in the ass during gameplay. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Okay got all the characters sheets. So I will come up with decent homeworlds for most of you in line with your stats, tie the group together (why you are all in the same place) and send you each some roleplaying notes. So I'll have the game thread up tomorrow.

One minor question, most of you are human. I could take this as Terran human or Vilani or one of the other (~30) human races. Again all human races besides Terrans are a result of an ancient alien race taking Homo rhodesiensis groups from Earth circa 300,000 years ago.

By default a Traveller character is a Vilani/Terran mix, if you'd like your human to be something else just let me know. No need for you to know which human, I'll pick one based on your character,. tell you a bit about it and you can approve it.

Thread up:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106181476

I'll send on some interesting notes on your characters tomorrow.

Rules:
    I just want people to get used to talking in character so the rules won't enter for a bit. But roughly speaking this is the main rule.

Skill Resolution:
    Major point, in order to succeed at something, you have to roll an 8 using two six sided dice.

To whatever total you roll on the dice three things are added. I'm going to take the example of somebody hacking a computer.
    1. Dice Total: This is just the total you roll on the two dice.
    2. Skill adjustment: Next your rating in the associated skill is added. For the example of hacking mentioned, if you were Computer 2 you would add 2.
      Computer 0, then means no adjustment.
      However not having Computer at all means you subtract 3.
    3. Characteristic Adjustment: Every roll is also attached to one of the characteristics, e.g. Intelligence, Education, Strength.
      In the case of Hacking it is Intelligence. You then adjust the score based on what band your characteristic falls into:
    Characteristic Score | Dice Modifier
    0 | -3
    1-2 | -2
    3-5 | -1
    6-8 | +0
    9-11 | +1
    12-14 | +2
    15+ | +3

So for the hacking roll, if you had Intelligence 9, you would add 1.

[*]Difficulty Adjustment: I might decide a task is hard or easy compared to normal, and hence I'll supply an adjustment, e.g. Easy might add +4 to your roll.

If at the end of this process you got an eight or better you succeed.

See the following table for the exact meaning of your final total:

Final Total | Meaning
    < 3 | Exceptional Failure: The character failed as completely as it is possibly to fail. Anything that can go wrong goes wrong. If attempting to repair a device, the device is further damaged or even destroyed. In a social situation, the character gets into further trouble.
    3-6 | Average Failure: The character has failed the task.
    7 | Marginal Failure: The character has almost, almost succeeded, and the Referee may permit him to scrape a success if he takes a significant consequence. A character trying to jump across a chasm hangs onto the far side by his fingernails but can only pull himself up if he drops his backpack. A character trying to land a ship can bring it down safely but the ship may never fly again. A character hacking a computer gets in but the security programs can trace his location.
    8 | Marginal Success: The character barely succeeds at the task, and may have to accept a condition on his success. He fixes the engine but it will overheat. He finds a buyer for the goods but the buyer is a untrustworthy criminal.
    9-13 | Average Success: The character succeeds normally.
    > 14 | Exceptional Success: The character succeeds in an impressive and elegant fashion.

Static Resolution:
    Despite how much I've talked about dice rolls above, Traveller uses static resolution much more. This is simply where I go by your skill score alone.

eg. to repair this computer you need Computers 1. If you don't have that or better, you can't do it. Otherwise, you can. No rolling.

Rolling is only really done in stressful or high-intensity situations (repairing the Computer while ship is being attacked) or in combat.

I'll cover combat when it comes up.

• Advertisement

Dice rolling will be done here:
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards.ie%20Traveller

Only need to visit when I request a roll.

Guys can we use this thread as the OOC thread for the Traveller game or shall I start a new one in the RPG subforum?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This one is fine I think Molly, has the rules and stuff :) Hope my surprise entry hasn't upset anyone... I tried to stay out but I just couldnae do it captain!

You're an addict Necro. :) I count 6 players which I think is grand so welcome aboard.

Should I ask Sully to move this into the RPG forum then?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah might be a good idea actually. I don't mind either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Do we not keep the recruitment and chat here so people can become intrigued and try to slot in as the busty lizard woman waitress at the next town / wagon / feeding ground / spacestation along the road / trail / sewage pipe / jump path? (Delete as applicable to your game)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Newbie here, just wondering if this game is now full, or can someone still join in? Thanks...

More than welcome jasonb!

You can make a character here:
    http://travellerv2.azurewebsites.net/

And just send me what it pumps out.

If the link is confusing in anyway, just PM me and we can step through it.

Let the record show, I was holding up the flight so jasonb could catch it. Not because I was trying to work more chocolate-eating shenanigans in for no apparent reason.

Thanks Banjo! :)

Sending PM now Fourier...

Oops, your Inbox seems to be full Fourier...

jasonb wrote: »

That could be *anyone's* fault. Stop looking at me! STOP LOOKING AT ME!

jasonb wrote: »
    Sorry jasonb, clear now.

Fourier wrote: »
    Sorry jasonb, clear now.

Perfect, thanks, PM Sent...

So I'm not saying I can't just make **** up and see if I can get it past the Edit Window so it has to be retroactively made canon for our corner of the Traveller universe, but does anyone know what there is to do on a Far Trader for a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Banjo wrote: »
    So I'm not saying I can't just make **** up and see if I can get it past the Edit Window so it has to be retroactively made canon for our corner of the Traveller universe, but does anyone know what there is to do on a Far Trader for a week?

Date the captain is taken.

I like how you think you could tie her down after just the one dinner. Challenge accepted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Banjo wrote: »
    I like how you think you could tie her down after just the one dinner. Challenge accepted :D

She loves my cocky attitude.

Id bet she is mad into the chocolate eating weirdos as well however.

Just in cased I missed anyone :)

Forum Games Beers

Okay the proper adventure starts tomorrow on Walston.

Note: From here on death is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nestor hides in her stateroom till all danger is past.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Did no one else have a character die during generation?

Mine died of old age coz I didn't realise how it worked. Lol.

• Advertisement

BTW, not that I'm reading the manual or anything, and the manual I'm definitely not reading may not be the right one for the rule set we're using but are we choosing a Campaign Skill Pack for the group?

Advertisement