Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modern Television Pundits/Commentators

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is slightly off topic.

But can someone please make a podcast that isn't just "three lads, rugby banter".

80% of every rugby podcast is rambling, boring, or actually silence. Editing, podcasts need editing. Ask smart questions, if you get **** answers cut them. If you get good answers keep them. Unless your podcast is live you have no excuse.

Luke spends too much time asking questions/statements before he allows the interviewee respond. Most of the podcast is about him. BTs talk about videos we the listener can’t see. Sorry back on topic.

RoG is too boring in his delivery. Shane used to be inciteful but now seems to be slipping in to the one that says the argumentative pundit that says somewhat controversial thinks to draw viewers and get the public talking ala Hook/Dunphy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Luke's ears are offputting. They are too far down his neck.

It's like his head is trying to tune in Saorview or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

errlloyd wrote: »

But can someone please make a podcast that isn't just "three lads, rugby banter".

80% of every rugby podcast is rambling, boring, or actually silence. Editing, podcasts need editing. Ask smart questions, if you get **** answers cut them. If you get good answers keep them. Unless your podcast is live you have no excuse.

I remember a Blood & Mud Podcast episode a while back where they spent a few minutes discussing the punishment for irritating phrases in the modern game.

I think they settled on "banter = losing a finger" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I remember a Blood & Mud Podcast episode a while back where they spent a few minutes discussing the punishment for irritating phrases in the modern game.

I think they settled on "banter = losing a finger" :D

Mordecai "Three-Finger" Brown loved the bants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I've enjoyed Sam Warburton and Paul O'Connell over the first 2 rounds of the Six Nations. They're both good at pointing out smaller details that wouldn't be obvious to viewers (especially around the lineout from Paulie). With a fair bit of analysis being lowest common denominator stuff, it's great to have something technical explained from time to time.

The only reason I don't turn off the TV when I hear Reggie Corrigan's voice is in case I miss hearing him getting electrocuted. Aside from the O'Mahony fiasco, I remember him giving Man of the Match to Marius Joubert on a day Munster put 40 odd points on Clermont in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any player agents commentating or analysing games involving their clients is an automatic no-no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

The Eggchasers podcast is decent, fairly Premiership-centric though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sky are very poor, some much deadweight in their coverage, Harris, Robson, Quinlan, Barnes and Quinnell are all charicatures nowadays.
    They still have Morris around too for some reason.
    I like the commentator Jonnie Hammond though, covers the less important Nd Championhsip game but has a real infectious enthusiasm for the game.

BT mix good and bad. Monye never really makes sense and the bants bants bants between Healey, Kay and Mullins is just nauseating.

POC, Warburton are good and I really enjoy Flatman. Presenter wise the young guy on Sky clearly knows the game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sky are very poor, some much deadweight in their coverage, Harris, Robson, Quinlan, Barnes and Quinnell are all charicatures nowadays.
    They still have Morris around too for some reason.
    I like the commentator Jonnie Hammond though, covers the less important Nd Championhsip game but has a real infectious enthusiasm for the game.

BT mix good and bad. Monye never really makes sense and the bants bants bants between Healey, Kay and Mullins is just nauseating.

POC, Warburton are good and I really enjoy Flatman. Presenter wise the young guy on Sky clearly knows the game too.

Flatman can be good and talks a lot of sense but he’s too cynical for me. A lotdepends on who he’s paired with, doesn’t work well as part of 3 either. Thought he came across as arrogant and dismissive on the Italy game on ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

baas baa wrote: »
    Flatman can be good and talks a lot of sense but he’s too cynical for me. A lotdepends on who he’s paired with, doesn’t work well as part of 3 either. Thought he came across as arrogant and dismissive on the Italy game on ITV.

What did he say during Italy? I can’t remember anything too untoward, he had a few quips about England that i think Darcy pulled him up on it.

I also forgot to mention Inverdale, but he goes without saying as being awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Eddie Butler and Brian Moore are always worth listening to not least because of the needle between them sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Andrew Cotter is very good commentator but because of the BBC's lack of rugby these days he is probably better known for his Golf comentaries, but then the BBC doesn't have much Golf either!

Chris Paterson is a good co commentator, but again he is only rolled out for Scotland matches on the BBC which ate pretty rare.

I like BT's European rugby highlights show with BOD and Dallaglio. Like many others I think BOD is much better as a studio analyst than as a co commentator.

As already mentioned POC and Warburton have been very good on the BBC this 6Ns. However one still has years left as a player and the other clearly has coaching ambitions, so don't get too used to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I actually enjoy Fitzgeralds commentary, I dont see the blatant bias from him described in the OP. Shane Horgan is another good colour guy.

For me there's no beating Hugh Bladen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

What ever happened to Ruggamatrix. I see their site is currently "suspended".

I miss the podcast that some on this forum were involved in (my own drunken appearances not withstanding). Pity it was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

chupacabra wrote: »
    I actually enjoy Fitzgeralds commentary, I dont see the blatant bias from him described in the OP. Shane Horgan is another good colour guy.

For me there's no beating Hugh Bladen though.
    Speaking of Andrew Cotter, he's taken to commentating on his dogs... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ruggamatrix seemed to overextend itself with content, they launched USA and Oz club rugby shows. It's no longer around at all sadly. The archive is still up. I'm listening back to a podcast from 2009, Les Kiss was a regular contributor around the time of the Grand Slam.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/ruggamatrix-international

Advertisement