Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby Europe International Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

titan18 wrote: »
    Even after that though, they'll go into repechage with Canada, runner up of African qualification and an one of Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia or Tahiti (assume Hong Kong here). They'd have a very good chance of getting out of that, probably be between them and Canada.

Good point, I didnt realise they still had two chances. Wouldn't think there would be much between them and Canada, who are going very poorly these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

In general the level of officiating has been very poor in this competition. Spain actually benefitted from a horrendous (non)decision in one of the earlier rounds against russia when no official spotted the grounding of a russian try in the last minute
    rPrJegk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

A lot of Spanish fans going nuts about the ref thing. Did they not make an official protest before the game.

I watched it as someone looking forward to Spain in the world cup and they were far inferior to Belgium. I'm not sure what difference a properly neutral ref would make.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, they did make an official protest before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Here is the incident at the end of the game. At 1:30 in the video I actually thought the angry Spanish player was approaching the referee as though he was going to strike him. In the end they got him out the gate into the car park unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Very poor form from World Rugby having Romanian officials for this game, there was always going to be the opportunity for a stitch up in the circumstances.

Just to clarify it's Europe Rugby that oversee this competition. Just to highlight their chairperson is Romanian. Spain appealed during week but were denied. I feel world rugby should be over seeing these matches given the winners enter their competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

The penalty count was something like 28-8 in favour of Belgium. Mad stuff no matter from what angle you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Penalty count was 18-8 which although slightly lopsided is still possible.The actions of Spanish players after the game should see them cop lengthy suspensions and rightly so

Penalty count was 18-8 which although slightly lopsided is still possible.The actions of Spanish players after the game should see them cop lengthy suspensions and rightly so

It was actually 28-5 when you watch the game and count them. And yes hopefully they kick Spain out of the competition and send Russia to play the play offs.

https://rugbyonslaught.com/footage-video-28-5-penalty-count-enraged-spanish-rugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Galego wrote: »
    It was actually 28-5 when you watch the game and count them. And yes hopefully they kick Spain out of the competition and send Russia to play the play offs.

https://rugbyonslaught.com/footage-video-28-5-penalty-count-enraged-spanish-rugby/
    Why should they kick Spain out? A few players went after the ref and one (or maybe two) actually laid hands on him. That's on them, not on Spanish rugby.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why should they kick Spain out? A few players went after the ref and one (or maybe two) actually laid hands on him. That's on them, not on Spanish rugby.

Yes true. I just thought the whole thing was embarrassing and very scoccer like....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as Ireland celebrate being European champions , amazes me how the level below seams so amateurish - we have GAA competing with rugby , just wonder why teams like Germany , Sweden or Russia can not produce serious top level teams to compete at 6 Nations - Italy look to be head and shoulders above the best of the rest - this Spanish Romania fiasco just sums up the level below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I watched 20 minutes, Spain were beasting Belgium up front. Its very hard to imagine that there was a +10 penalty count to Belgium.

thebaz wrote: »
    as Ireland celebrate being European champions , amazes me how the level below seams so amateurish - we have GAA competing with rugby , just wonder why teams like Germany , Sweden or Russia can not produce serious top level teams to compete at 6 Nations - Italy look to be head and shoulders above the best of the rest - this Spanish Romania fiasco just sums up the level below.
    And it puts into context where Italy really stands. Way above that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

as Ireland celebrate being European champions , amazes me how the level below seems so amateurish - we have GAA competing with rugby, just wonder why teams like Germany, Sweden or Russia can not produce serious top level teams to compete at 6 Nations - Italy look to be head and shoulders above the best of the rest - this Spanish Romania fiasco just sums up the level below.
    I dont think this incident sums up this level at all but of course doesnt look good at all.
    And it puts into context where Italy really stands. Way above that level.
    Not really when they havent faced Georgia ever really. Who would be their best challengers by far

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Soccer is huge in those countries, rugby isn't really popular at all.

I dont think this incident sums up this level at all but of course doesnt look good at all.

When you look at how professional the whole Twickenham game was played out -

against the level below , where you have a referee (who really shouldn't have been officiating) accosted off the field - seams a dramatic shift in standards - no doubt you will just disagree with me (as usual).

Not really when they havent faced Georgia ever really. Who would be their best challengers by far
    Yes really. Georgia's last five opponents were Belgium, Germany, Spain, Russia and Romania. They are above those opponents really, but not so much that they didn't exactly trash Spain a couple of weeks ago. The same Spain that featured in that video.

That's where the rankings fall down really. If Italy were playing that kind of opposition regularly, they'd be clocking up ranking points every year with very little fear of losing any.

When you look at how professional the whole Twickenham game was played out -

against the level below , where you have a referee (who really shouldn't have been officiating) accosted off the field - seams a dramatic shift in standards - no doubt you will just disagree with me (as usual).
    :rolleyes:
    Its a discussion forum. People wont always have the same opinion and thank god for that
    Considering the circumstances i can see why the ref was accosted. Doesnt make it right and the ref should never have been selected/change made once it was known that this game was going to be this important.

Yes really. Georgia's last five opponents were Belgium, Germany, Spain, Russia and Romania. They are above those opponents really, but not so much that they didn't exactly trash Spain a couple of weeks ago. The same Spain that featured in that video.

That's where the rankings fall down really. If Italy were playing that kind of opposition regularly, they'd be clocking up ranking points every year with very little fear of losing any.
    They have won the ENC every year bar 2 since 2006. They completely deserve a shot at playing Italy and other 6 nations sides and especially Italy to see if theyre ready to step up to the higher level.

• Advertisement

Georgia will play Italy this year so we will see where they stand. They did well against Wales in Cardiff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4891546/World-Rugby-approve-Georgia-Italy-showdown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They have won the ENC every year bar 2 since 2006. They completely deserve a shot at playing Italy and other 6 nations sides and especially Italy to see if theyre ready to step up to the higher level.

Not only do Italy not play teams they can supposedly beat regularly, they've been artificially inflated by remaining in competitions they've so far had absolutely no business being part of.

You are completely correct really. Who knows where Italy and Georgia are in relation to one another, and who knows where they'd be if they were on a fair and equal playing field.

I realise that - just find it strange they can't produce decent rugby teams , given ther populations - soccer and GAA are huge here , yet we with a relativly small population can produce a serious team - just thought rugby would suit other mainland European countrys - maybe it has no appeal - just an observation.

Yeah, I'd like to see them play Italy too. But my point about the ranking system is valid, it doesn't properly reflect the gap between tiers. There's no real fix to that though. There's only so many fixtures that can be held outside RWC years and every nation wants to play teams above themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Galego wrote: »
    Georgia will play Italy this year so we will see where they stand. They did well against Wales in Cardiff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4891546/World-Rugby-approve-Georgia-Italy-showdown.html
    Was reading about this just the other day. Could potentially be the biggest game in Georgian rugby history.

I realise that - just find it strange they can't produce decent rugby teams, given ther populations - soccer and GAA are huge here, yet we with a relativly small population can produce a serious team - just thought rugby would suit other mainland European countrys - maybe it has no appeal - just an observation.
    Compare our playing population to theres. Ive family playing in Holland and Germany and the playing population is much much lower compared to ours. Soccer and gaelic/hurling are popular but in overall playing numbers how other sports are really challenging as well as through media coverage. The top sides are often full of overseas players. It may suit them but you need to build from bottom up and get more kids playing and progress then to adult level and getting people playing pro/setting up pro competition

I think the main concern is not Georgias ability but their location.

If it was a Spain type knocking on the door i think the potential to replace Italy would be greater.

How many would travel to Georgia for games?... the turnaround for players would horrendous. Horrible weather this time of year too.

Unfortunately for Georgia theyre a small country on the edge of Europe... until someone like Spain or Germany comes along Italy will have little to worry about.

I think the main concern is not Georgias ability but their location.

If it was a Spain type knocking on the door i think the potential to replace Italy would be greater.

How many would travel to Georgia for games?... the turnaround for players would horrendous. Horrible weather this time of year too.

Unfortunately for Georgia theyre a small country on the edge of Europe... until someone like Spain or Germany comes along Italy will have little to worry about.

if World rugby want to expand the game worldwide is ther any reason why Georgia are not given even one club for the Pro 14 ??

Surely they at least deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Just to add to the conspiracy an Interview with a Samoan official from 2 or 3 weeks ago has surfaced were he apparently confirmed the dates of the playoff with spain.

Will link to it if I can find it as I only saw a screenshot on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

As someone who reads La Gazzetta dello Sport daily, I can honestly tell you that even when there is a Six Nations match, there is half a page at most of coverage. That comes after 20-25 pages of soccer, usually a couple on cycling, a few on volleyball, a couple on basketball, a couple on motorsport and often a couple on athletics including fencing. If that's how low down the pecking order rugby is in Italy as a Six Nations team, imagine what coverage is like in a lot of those other countries and coverage usually converts to interest. Given that La Gazzetta is the Milanese sports newspaper with Il Corriere dello Sport being from Roman and Tuttosport being from Turin, La Gazzetta's rugby coverage is probably the highest given Milan has more rugby interest than the other two. The Six Nations live coverage in Italy is also on Dmax, very much not a major broadcaster in Italy. A chance was missed with Romania in the eighties when the IRB should have done more to encourage rugby there and I suspect they'll miss the same boat with Georgia now, but outside Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland and France there is very little to go on in terms of rugby in Europe.

Advertisement