Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotions without interviews

• 18-02-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The company I work for is contracted to provide services to a large multinational (keeping it anonymous). For the last 3 weeks I have stood in as a Manager until they find a replacement and I thought they might prepare the process to find the right person. My manager even told me that i'd be needed as the intern Manager until interviews take place.

Now the Multi national company has said they have chose their own Manager who they would like to see take over and he will be starting next week without any hiring process taking place.

Can I ask is this illegal and what can I do about it? I am rightly qualified to take over as the full time Manager and have now been shafted by cronyism.

My Company doesn't seem to want to fight it and are happy for this to go ahead. Seems very unfair on me and anyone else wanting to apply for the promotion on offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Your post is a little hard to follow, but am I right in saying you work for company A, providing services for company B, a job became available in company B and you are unhappy you didn't get it because they promoted from within their own company, and you want to know is this illegal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

davo10 wrote: »
    Your post is a little hard to follow, but am I right in saying you work for company A, providing services for company B, a job became available in company B and you are unhappy you didn't get it because they promoted from within their own company, and you want to know is this illegal?

I think the job is in company a as a resource for company b who have asked for one of their staff to be given the role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Stheno wrote: »
    I think the job is in company a as a resource for company b who have asked for one of their staff to be given the role

^^^^^^^^^^

This is basically the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

It's a bit hard to follow.

Is the new manager an existing employee of the multinational and will continue to work for the multinational but in the capacity as a manager?

Why would this be illegal?

Internal promotions happen all the time with no interview processes I dont see why it's any if your business what the company your company services does or how they run their business as long as the service your company provides them is paid for.

Sorry if I've misread your question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

limnam wrote: »
    It's a bit hard to follow.

Is the new manager an existing employee of the multinational and will continue to work for the multinational but in the capacity as a manager?

Why would this be illegal?

Internal promotions happen all the time with no interview processes I dont see why it's any if your business what the company your company services does or how they run their business as long as the service your company provides them is paid for.

Sorry if I've misread your question.
    The new manager is moving from being employed by the multinational to being employed by ops company in a role in the multinational

Happens op nothing you can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You've been doing the job for three weeks - that's longer than any interview. They think they've a better person for the job.

The person chosen for the new Managers role works for my company. This person will still be working for my company, just as a manager now. The Managers role is my company's responsibility to provide.

My problem is that he has been chosen without any fair process.

carzony wrote: »
    The person chosen for the new Managers role works for my company. This person will still be working for my company, just as a manager now. The Managers role is my company's responsibility to provide.

The person was chosen by the Multinational from a company supplying a service to the Multinational.

Who do you think owes your an interview?

In my opinion you have ZERO entitlement here.

The person chosen for the new Managers role works for my company. This person will still be working for my company. The Managers role is my company's responsibility to provide.

I 100% guarantee you that there is a clause in your companies contract with the multinational giving them the right to approve the staff being provided.

Although harsh to say they don't appear to want you in the role for whatever reason and want him in place quickly so as to remove you.

There is no obligation on your company to do any interviews at all

is there a chance they're just telling you the multinational wants this person when in truth your boss is picking him and doesn't want to have to explain to you why?

It would seem a bit odd that a company requests a service from a 3rd party company then dictates which person in your company provides it.

Very odd.

• Advertisement

Very odd.

Not if the interim service was below par. But, you could be right.

is there a chance they're just telling you the multinational wants this person when in truth your boss is picking him and doesn't want to have to explain to you why?

It would seem a bit odd that a company requests a service from a 3rd party company then dictates which person in your company provides it.

Very odd.

I've worked in three such environments

All of them had a clause allowing the customer approve staff. In two of them suppliers were requested to replace specific people as they were not a fit for the client

Both were contractors and were gone within a week

It's quite common in those sort of environments

Not if the interim service was below par. But, you could be right.

That's true also.

You'd really want to make a right balls up in the 3 weeks though and it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary happened.

OP How do you think the last 3 weeks went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Private sector companies rarely interview candidates for internally sourced management roles. No requirement to.

I've worked in three such environments

All of them had a clause allowing the customer approve staff. In two of them suppliers were requested to replace specific people as they were not a fit for the client

Both were contractors and were gone within a week

It's quite common in those sort of environments

Yera sure. But would they dictate who the replacement was?

I understand they've have to approve of them long term but "choosing" who does it seems a bit out of leftfield

Yera sure. But would they dictate who the replacement was?

I understand they've have to approve of them long term but "choosing" who does it seems a bit out of leftfield

Yes they would in one place I was the customer and would interview suggested candidates and where we a asked for someone to be replaced interviewed the replacements.

It's possible someone took a dislike to the op during his three weeks as manager and literally decided his face didn't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What is unfair about the process?

Senior management have decided they want person X to do job Y and have made the arrangements, why do you think they don't have the right to do that?

If I decide tomorrow that I want one of my lads to take a different role, and if he agrees to it then why would that be illegal?

The previous manager was thrown out literally over night and was told he was not wanted anymore. I took over for 3 weeks and only to be told in the middle of the 2nd week what the arrangements would be. My management was very happy with the job I had done not that it matters now..

The previous manager was thrown out literally over night and was told he was not wanted anymore. I took over for 3 weeks and only to be told in the middle of the 2nd week what the arrangements would be. My management was very happy with the job I had done not that it matters now..

By whom? the multinational or your company?

This all sounds a bit "mickey mouse"

By whom? the multinational or your company?

This all sounds a bit "mickey mouse"

Sounds like the customer is seriously unhappy with the supplier tbh

• Advertisement

Sounds like the customer is seriously unhappy with the supplier tbh

This is very accurate at the moment unfortunately..:rolleyes:

This is very accurate at the moment unfortunately..:rolleyes:

Therein lies the problem your company are probably at risk of losing the contract and doing what they can to keep it

Advertisement