Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Ok, may be really vague. but i remember seeing it bout 12 years ago had dan acykroyd and it ended in a scrapyard with a house in the centre. it could be dragnet but not sure

• Moderators Posts: 51,690 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

allanb49 wrote: »
    Ok, may be really vague. but i remember seeing it bout 12 years ago had dan acykroyd and it ended in a scrapyard with a house in the centre. it could be dragnet but not sure
    Is this it??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Cant see it cause on my phone but the wikipedia description i read does seem like the movie i saw when i was a kid thank you so much, now only have to find it and watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

This movie I saw when I was about 7 or 8. Very dark, set in a monastry, monks, one simple/disfigured, one disturbing scene with fat naked monk, lying in old bath tub after slitting wrists. For some reason 'War of the Roses' is always at the back of my mind, but is obviously not the Michael Douglas movie. It may have some connection to the actual War of the Roses Civil War.

If anyone has any idea, it would free me from this annoyance. It was also quite a good movie from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This movie I saw when I was about 7 or 8. Very dark, set in a monastry, monks, one simple/disfigured, one disturbing scene with fat naked monk, lying in old bath tub after slitting wrists. For some reason 'War of the Roses' is always at the back of my mind, but is obviously not the Michael Douglas movie. It may have some connection to the actual War of the Roses Civil War.

If anyone has any idea, it would free me from this annoyance. It was also quite a good movie from what I remember.

The Name Of The Rose

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Bang On! Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

I watched a movie about a year ago but I cannot remember the name of it.

The story line, if I recall correctly, is about a lawyer who goes around killing gangsters as they have hurt his family.

One scene is when the lawyer guy nearly dies when his car rolls off the top of a car park but escapes.

The DVD is in black and red cover.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

would it be death sentence
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804461/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Excellent. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Hi, going a bit nuts here trying to remember what this film is, apologies as the details I have are sketchy but basically its a teeny/college film. From 2000 forward. There was a creepy character that had assembled a doll from various items belonging to a girl that lived near them. His mate was trying to date/was dating her. It was a comedy out of the Van Wilder/American Pie school. Its driving me crazy. The film ended with the song that creep boy had written about her, possibly a girls name. He played in I think keyboards in the movie as a part of the story but it was in for the closing credits. I think that he kept trying to scupper his mates chances with her as well. The song got steadily more agressive too.

I think the actor that played him was in a few of those type of films too. Help!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I think you're thinking of "Slackers"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240900/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Fantastic. I saw a photo of Schwartzmann today and said it wasn't the guy I remembered at all but turns out is the same. Cheers The Master, appreciate it :-) Can sleep tonight now!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 barr toco

hi all,
    i seen this movie a few years ago, it starts out as a german family in ww2,
    focused on the young woman, i dont remember much of the movie but i do remember she struggles to survive as the russian soldiers close into germany, she is raped many times by russian soldiers,
    if anyone knows the name of this movie please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Anyone know of this movie title at all?! It stars the oldish guy that used to be in the herbal tea ads and seemed a tad gay lol
    also starred emma thompson as a very simple loved up woman in it!
    and the intro has a well known 80s song in it, cant think of what itis though:confused:
    its an 80s movie, comedy, and all his friends are invited for dinner in it, and he tells them at the end hes dying.
    also theres some black girl in it with an 80s hairdo and black slinky dress.

iv seen this on tv a few times before, always find it funny :D, but never find out the name!
    any info on this would be great thanks!

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Anyone know of this movie title at all?! It stars the oldish guy that used to be in the herbal tea ads and seemed a tad gay lol
    also starred emma thompson as a very simple loved up woman in it!
    and the intro has a well known 80s song in it, cant think of what itis though:confused:
    its an 80s movie, comedy, and all his friends are invited for dinner in it, and he tells them at the end hes dying.
    also theres some black girl in it with an 80s hairdo and black slinky dress.

iv seen this on tv a few times before, always find it funny :D, but never find out the name!
    any info on this would be great thanks!

Sounds like Peter's Friends.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105130/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I heard that there was a film similar to the King of Kong but based around Pacman, does anyone know the name of it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I'm trying to remember the title of a movie I saw awhile ago on TV.
    It was a 70s or 80s movie that involved a group of people camping in the woods, or maybe a camp and they all get killed off one by one by a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm trying to remember the title of a movie I saw awhile ago on TV.
    It was a 70s or 80s movie that involved a group of people camping in the woods, or maybe a camp and they all get killed off one by one by a killer.

That could be about 50 films from that era, can you narrow it down a bit? Any other details at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

As KH said,it could be alot of movies.Sleepaway Camp or Friday the 13th spring to mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Sounds like Peter's Friends.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105130/

oh yes it is! :D tankies!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

POk here is one that has been bothering me for a long time and no amount of google can help,

I'll throw down the random points that I can remember,

Chess film about a wizzkid who is a real prodigy

he has two coaches one is old school tactics and olne is speed chss

he has a rival kid who he meets in the final of some biss ass tournament in the end

for some reason the line 2 "do you see the move" is in my heD

its either late 80's early 90's

thanks in advancw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you can find this movie it will be a miracle.

I remember seeing part of a movie when i was a kid. must have been the guts of 18 years ago now but god knows when the movie was made.

Remember seeing it as a kid and we recorded it as it was on too late. When we went to watch it the next day only 1/4 of the movie had recorded :(

Themes:
    Time Travel i think
    Dinosaurs bring in the present (mainly a t-rex if i recall)
    Military

The main scene i remember is a small group of people, a guy and two girls i think hiding behind a crate as a dinosaur comes walking through the warehouse that they are in.
    Guy is armed with an assault rifle. I cant remember if he started shooting or not.
    There is very little else about this movie i remember

I know its very little to go on but ive been on and off looking for this movie for years.

ziedth wrote: »
    POk here is one that has been bothering me for a long time and no amount of google can help,

I'll throw down the random points that I can remember,

Chess film about a wizzkid who is a real prodigy

he has two coaches one is old school tactics and olne is speed chss

he has a rival kid who he meets in the final of some biss ass tournament in the end

for some reason the line 2 "do you see the move" is in my heD

its either late 80's early 90's

thanks in advancw.

Is it Searching for Bobby Fischer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108065/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Is it Searching for Bobby Fischer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108065/

It must be it, fair play to you. I would never in a million years have got that. I must find it now cause from I remember it was a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

OK, guys, here's another for you...

About 10 years ago or thereabouts, on TV, so who knows how old it was, I saw a movie set in a prison. The warders were in a circular central viewing station of what may have been a 4 or 5 'wing' system with all round visual access into each wing.

There wasn't really much action throughout, mainly dialogue, but you could sense some tension building. At the end, there was a breakout which involved motorbikes, which, I think whose riders had broken in to release their mates. That may or may not have been the case, but the motorbikes were definitely part of the breakout

That's all I remember, really. But I do remember thinking I'd love to see it again. I've tried to google it, using motorbikes prison movie and all sorts of combinations, but alas, nothing. And then this thread comes along! Thanks, Karl, by the way. A great idea for a thread.

I live in hope. And that hope is that after someone here finding it, that it's not a pile of crap that I have wasted all this time thinking about.

Go to it, boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

I saw it advertised in Cineworld magazine, but for got the name of it.

Its a nature documentary, about birds and flamingos, migration patterns etc in particular I think.

Anyone know the name of it ? Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mikedublin wrote: »
    I saw it advertised in Cineworld magazine, but for got the name of it.

Its a nature documentary, about birds and flamingos, migration patterns etc in particular I think.

Anyone know the name of it ? Thanx

The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902967/

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Thanks for that. cheers, Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Okay a weird one, but i'll see if anyone knows:

Late 80s-early 90s film that I saw ages ago. I only caught the end of it mind, and it was fairly madkap.
    It had some guy stealing either the trophy or prize money (possibly both) from a body building competition. What ensued was an army of greased up underpants clad muscle men (Arnie may have been among them, Im not sure) chasing a guy doewn a busy street.

Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Have 2 that have been wrecking my head for years:

The first I think is a Jim Henson production, may have won a Jim Henson award or something (although I can't see it listed in any of his work). It's about this kid who makes models of dinosaurs, and figures out a way of using magnets under a table to simulate them walking. Anyway it ends with him building this huge model dinosaur that comes to life or something. May have been early to mid 90's. The large dinosaur he builds has glowing red eyes I think

Another was an English film about this eccentric 20 to 30 year old inventor. His house reminded of Doc Browns house in Back to the Future. He gets involved with some thieves and plans to rob a bank or insurance company. He uses robotic bins with cameras in them to check where the security guards are in the building. Then when they are escaping and the police are chasing them, the car they are in splits in two, down the middle, and they are able to split up and take each half of the car down separate alleys that are too narrow for the police. Again, probably early to mid 90's.

Advertisement