Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

• 27-11-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

List of every player currently in one of the four Irish academies.

Loosehead Ed Byrne
    Loosehead Jack O'Connell

Loosehead Kyle McCall
    Loosehead Finlay Bealham
    Loosehead James Cronin
    Loosehead/Hooker James Treacy
    Hooker Niall Scannell
    Hooker Brian Byrne
    Hooker David Doyle

Hooker Jonny Murphy
    Hooker Kevin O'Byrne
    Hooker Duncan Casey
    Hooker James Rael

Tighthead Martin Moore
    Tighthead Tadhg Furlong

Tighthead Conor Carey
    Tighthead Jake Caulfield

Tighthead Jamie Dever
    Tighthead Peter Reilly

Lock Cathal O'Flaherty
    Lock Tadhg Beirne
    Lock Gavin Thornbury

Lock Alan O'Connor
    Lock James Simpson

Lock Daniel Qualter
    Lock Ultan Dilane

Lock Philip Donnellan
    Lock Brian Hayes

Flanker/Lock Ben Marshall
    Flanker Dan Leavy
    Flanker Conor Gilsenan
    Flanker Josh Van Der Flier
    Flanker Jordi Murphy

Flanker Conor Joyce
    Flanker Neil Faloon

Flanker Aaron Conneely
    Flanker David Heffernan
    Flanker Jonathan Gardiner

Flanker Shane Buckley
    Flanker Ryan Murphy

Eight Jack Conan
    Eight Sean O'Connell
    Eight Jack O'Donoghue
    Scrum Half Luke McGrath
    Scrum Half Marcus Walsh
    Scrum Half Kieran Marmion(may have signed a non academy contract recently)
    Scrum Half Brian Haugh
    Outhalf Cathal Marsh
    Outhalf Noel Reid

Outhalf Stuart Olding
    Outhalf Jack Carty
    Outhalf Tadgh Leader

Outhalf Johnny Holland
    Centre Cian Bohane
    Centre Jordan Coughlan
    Centre Colm O'Shea

Centre Chris Farrell
    Centre Corey Hircock
    Centre Harry McNulty

Centre/Fullback Robbie Henshaw(may have signed a non academy contract recently)
    Wing Andrew Boyle
    Wing Sam Coughlan Murray

Wing Conor Finn
    Wing Steve Macauley

Wing Ronan O'Mahony
    Wing/Fullback Darren Hudson
    Wing/Fullback Darren Moroney
    Fullback Mikey Sherlock*(not sure about his status)
    Fullback Rory Scholes
    Fullback Peter Nelson
    Fullback Ricky Andrew

Fullback Shane Layden
    Fullback Darragh Leader

Fullback Darren Sweetnam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No Munster TH is a glaring omission. You'd think there would be one good young TH in the whole province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Aren't Kieran Marmian and Robbie Henshaw in the Connacht academy also?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm still amused by the massive change in the Leinster academy towards being mostly forwards. And its the bloody backs that need replacing - a lot of young Leinster forwards are going to end up in other provinces. I'd be surprised if one of Moore or Furlong doesn't move.

Munster continue with their odd over-production of hookers, but their overall academy seems a bit light on numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm still amused by the massive change in the Leinster academy towards being mostly forwards. And its the bloody backs that need replacing - a lot of young Leinster forwards are going to end up in other provinces. I'd be surprised if one of Moore or Furlong doesn't move.

Munster continue with their odd over-production of hookers, but their overall academy seems a bit light on numbers.
    Munsters academy always is lightish on numbers.
    IIRC there was an interview with Ian Sherwin from a few years ago when he was academy head when he said Munster had a smaller number in the academy than there was room for as the focus was on quality not quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

but their overall academy seems a bit light on numbers.

It's worth noting that Ulster and Leinster have substantially larger population pools to pick from. Law of averages dictates that there'd be half the number of quality youngsters in Munster as there would be in Ulster or Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No Munster TH is a glaring omission. You'd think there would be one good young TH in the whole province.

Probably one of the reasons why Christy Condon (about 30?) got a develeopment contract this year. We've Alan Cotter (25?) on a dev contract too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Mikey Sherlock left the Leinster academy at end of last season. He's playing 2B rugby with Skerries and doing his finals in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

macslash wrote: »
    Aren't Kieran Marmian and Robbie Henshaw in the Connacht academy also?

Think both have signed non academy contracts, Marmion certainly has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

As far as I know James Cronin can play th very well I'm slow to believe it as I think your one or the other but apparently he's a genuine either side of the scrum guy

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Severe lack of scrum halves. Backs in general need more attention, a lot of wings but still not happy with those scrum half numbers

• Advertisement

bamboozle wrote: »
    Mikey Sherlock left the Leinster academy at end of last season. He's playing 2B rugby with Skerries and doing his finals in college.

Got to wonder what his future will be now. Wasn't he very highly rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

John Ryan is 24 and this season got a Dev. Contract. Plays TH for Cork Con. Went to LI on loan for 3 weeks earlier in the season. They seemed to rate him over there. Against Wasps, he came on and won two penalties against Wasps.

A few of last season's academy got Dev. Contracts so that might explain the depleted nos. in the academy and otherwise Munster have a very young team.

Cathal Sheridan (scrumhalf)
    Dave O'Callaghan (flanker)
    Luke O'Dea (wing)
    Alan Cotter (prop)
    JJ Hanrahan (OH/Centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I think next year we'll see several backs joining the Academy; the likes of Crosbie, Daly, Byrne, Brewer, Dardis and possibly Shanahan, O'Loughlin and Farrell.

It's amazing the amount of talented guys who play in the Leinster schools cup go on and play pro. With Leinster's current age profile it's no surprise to see many of them move on to pastures new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hype710 wrote: »
    I think next year we'll see several backs joining the Academy; the likes of Crosbie, Daly, Byrne, Brewer, Dardis and possibly Shanahan, O'Loughlin and Farrell.

It's amazing the amount of talented guys who play in the Leinster schools cup go on and play pro. With Leinster's current age profile it's no surprise to see many of them move on to pastures new.
    And the scary thing is that the youths game in Leinster is producing some very very good players on top of the schools esp considering their is now more kids registered to play in clubs than in the rugby schools. (source 10/11 IRFU annual report Annual_Report_2010/11)
    2 of those you name are youths and with the improvements in youths rugby development their will be more from the youths game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

Leinster seem to have a hell of a lot of forwards coming through, anyone able give anymore info on them who is that second row Thornbury? he is bloody Huge for a lad just turned 19! Also I thought Jordan Coghlan was a backrow? he was in the jwc a few months back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Aiden7 wrote: »
    Leinster seem to have a hell of a lot of forwards coming through, anyone able give anymore info on them who is that second row Thornbury? he is bloody Huge for a lad just turned 19! Also I thought Jordan Coghlan was a backrow? he was in the jwc a few months back

He was a backrow

He played preseason for Leinster in the center, and has featured off the bench for the senior team wearing the 22 shirt which is usually given to backs cover

He has played A and AIL rugby in the center and the backrow this season.

I'm not sure where he is going to end up. Someone in Leinster made the decision that there are enough backrows in the squad and the academy and to convert him but I'm not sure if it will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He was a backrow

He played preseason for Leinster in the center, and has featured off the bench for the senior team wearing the 22 shirt which is usually given to backs cover

He has played A and AIL rugby in the center and the backrow this season.

I'm not sure where he is going to end up. Someone in Leinster made the decision that there are enough backrows in the squad and the academy and to convert him but I'm not sure if it will work out.

Leinster wouldn't be playing him at 12 repeatedly if they didn't think he would work out there. Give him a season or two before judging him there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

Any reason why they moved him to centre? as he is 6'5 and not far off 17 stone, that kind of size would make him more suited to second row/6/8 than centre, or is it Leinster feel that they need to have a big unit in the backs with the current fashion amongst teams to have second row sized backs

jm08 wrote: »
    John Ryan is 24 and this season got a Dev. Contract. Plays TH for Cork Con. Went to LI on loan for 3 weeks earlier in the season. They seemed to rate him over there. Against Wasps, he came on and won two penalties against Wasps.

I do actually know who Ryan is :p

I'd still like to see another younger player coming through, even if we offer an academy place to someone from another province?? Leinster seem to have a huge amount of THs coming through now, have Munster had any good at U-20 and U-19s level in the past 2 or so years?
    A few of last season's academy got Dev. Contracts so that might explain the depleted nos. in the academy and otherwise Munster have a very young team.

Cathal Sheridan (scrumhalf)
    Dave O'Callaghan (flanker)
    Luke O'Dea (wing)
    Alan Cotter (prop)
    JJ Hanrahan (OH/Centre)

That is true...but it should be on a constant rotation basis, surely? Anyway, I think the numbers look reasonably okay but for props.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Any reason why they moved him to centre? as he is 6'5 and not far off 17 stone, that kind of size would make him more suited to second row/6/8 than centre, or is it Leinster feel that they need to have a big unit in the backs with the current fashion amongst teams to have second row sized backs

He's apparently very athletic and skill full. I guess they just feel like he's got the ability to be a good centre. He's played a bit of rugby at 7 for Leinster 'A' so I don't think they are committing fully to the centre switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He's got great hands. Also we need to get out of the habit of picking players for positions based on their size and weight. If he's got the skills to play at 12 he should be there.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

There is some monster playing for Roscrea or Newbridge (can't remember which one). Hes 16 years old, a center and 117kg or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Taking the depth and age grade of the senior side into account, I think Leinster are well covered other than second row (obviously) and back three (surprisingly). Some back three prospects have failed to deliver thus far also.

Everywhere else is fairly handy. I think Felix Jones might be kicking himself somewhat for his move though. Left when there was loads of traffic ahead of him, filled with Lions and internationals, but given the current state of play and how young he still is, he could be a first team player now...it's amazing how quickly things can change. He may also have left to be part of the then biggest team in Europe, but it turned out that the team he left was just about to become the biggest team in Europe and he may well have missed out in taking part in at least three Heineken Cup winning campaigns...

Ulster are spoiled for choice with the amount of quality coming through.

Connacht have some tasty players coming through too...Marimon the most notable, but O'Halloran in the senior squad is quality too.

Munster have deputised in certain areas with astute young signings. Have some very promising players, but need the majority of them to deliver.

To be honest he would be my fourth choice 6/8 in the academy alone.

Murphy/Marshall have more experience and have really impressed at 6 and at 8 this season, (murphy has done well at 7 too this season), whie Conan has snuck ahead of Coughlan imo as a backrow.

Also he has never really played second row so I'm not sure whether that would be a better option for him.

Too many backrows not enough backs.

Murphy isn't an 8 imo, 6 or 7, ideally 7 but there is a lot of 7's at Leinster now.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Everywhere else is fairly handy. I think Felix Jones might be kicking himself somewhat for his move though. Left when there was loads of traffic ahead of him, filled with Lions and internationals, but given the current state of play and how young he still is, he could be a first team player now...it's amazing how quickly things can change. He may also have left to be part of the then biggest team in Europe, but it turned out that the team he left was just about to become the biggest team in Europe and he may well have missed out in taking part in at least three Heineken Cup winning campaigns...

I disagree with your point about Jones tbh...he's so injury-prone that he'd never have established himself ahead of Kearney, who's arguably the best full-back around. And since he only covers one position, he's not going to be on the bench.

So while he may have played a bit-part in a couple of HC-winning campaigns, he wouldn't have been a major contributor, and I think he's better off starting elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

whats the story with young brewer? wasnt his dad an AB/

liam12989 wrote: »

He is in 6th year, would be pretty surprising if him and Dardis weren't in the academy next season though.

liam12989 wrote: »
    His father Mike Brewer is indeed a former All Black (32 caps)

As for Harison he is still young. Still in secondary school so too young for the academy system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I disagree with your point about Jones tbh...he's so injury-prone that he'd never have established himself ahead of Kearney, who's arguably the best full-back around. And since he only covers one position, he's not going to be on the bench.

So while he may have played a bit-part in a couple of HC-winning campaigns, he wouldn't have been a major contributor, and I think he's better off starting elsewhere.

Possibly, but he didn't get a bad run of injuries until he went to Munster - who knows, he may have been luckier at Leinster in avoiding injuries, it's impossible to say.

He'd be useful on the wing though, given how much McFadden has had to deputise in the Leinster back three, I'd say he would have seen lots of game time there, and with Lukes long term injury and the retirements of Horgan and Dempsey since he left, he could be a first teamer if all were fit, along side Kearney and Nacewa. Leinster back three is really suffering for depth the last while - Dave Kearney, Carr, Conway, McFadden - he may well be able to see off the challanges of all of them.

Advertisement