Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iherb Food Items - VAT charges + €10 DHL charge over orders €22+

Options
  • 30-06-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I ordered a tub of vitamin C, some cayenne pepper capsules and garlic capsules last week. The order was approx $40.

I got a DHL text just now saying I have a customs import taxes of €17.17 to pay.. (€10 of that is DHL paperwork charge) ( I called DHL and guy said - 'as now VAT is applicable to all food stuffs over €22!! )

He said that there is a big crack down on iherb this week..

I've been ordering stuff from IHERB for about 7 years and have never been billed like this before, I only order health supps/food.
    I've ordered stuff over €100 and had customs open it and examine it and never been charged!

I'm absolutely flummoxed!

I can't believe it!!!
    Is this bull or what?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yeah I got caught too (€19.63) a couple of weeks ago & told they were cracking down.
    So that's just $29 incl shipping, *and* I heard that it's the rrp that goes on the package so the $1 specials will go down as their original price!
    I did a test order last week of 3 specials totalling $3.49 and used the cheap snail mail $4 postage, will wait & see. It's a pisser for me as I get a decent rewards income each month & now I can't spend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Yeah I got caught too (€19.63) a couple of weeks ago & told they were cracking down.
    So that's just $29 incl shipping, *and* I heard that it's the rrp that goes on the package so the $1 specials will go down as their original price!
    I did a test order last week of 3 specials totalling $3.49 and used the cheap snail mail $4 postage, will wait & see. It's a pisser for me as I get a decent rewards income each month & now I can't spend it!

I'm gutted. It's ridiculous though... How can they change VAT policy without telling anyone/radiot/TV ads etc?! How the hell are we supposed to know that it has changed? Are we supposed to just check the revenue page every day?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I got hit by DHL for €26.75 last week on an order from iHerb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

DHL are doing well out of it anyway aren't they!

Ya, €10 feckin paperwork charge per order!!!!
    I'm following it up with revenue as I can't see how there would be tax on Vitamin c and herbs!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yup.. I also got rode. €19.33 on a order that was ~$40 + shipping

conzy wrote: »
    Yup.. I also got rode. €19.33 on a order that was ~$40 + shipping

Were your products 'sports enhancing' supps?
    Or food based?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

rustyzip wrote: »
    Were your products 'sports enhancing' supps?
    Or food based?

It was quest bars, stevia and peanut butter. but there was an ON creatine too

conzy wrote: »
    It was quest bars, stevia and peanut butter. but there was an ON creatine too

what's an 'on'
    They treat creatine as sports enhancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

what's an 'on'.

It's a brand: Optimum Nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I just cancelled my order. Fcuk paying an extra 20 quid or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Just got hit with €18.65 on a $51 order. 8.68 duty and €10 admin charge. ordered below.

Krill Oil
    Nature's Way, Alive! Once Daily, Men's Ultra Potency Multi-Vitamin
    Healthy Origins, Alpha Lipoic Acid

Ordered 3 times previously in the last 2 moths with around same value and no duty charges. Could it be Alpha Lipoic Acid?

rubicon99 wrote: »
    Just got hit with €18.65 on a $51 order. 8.68 duty and €10 admin charge. ordered below.

Krill Oil
    Nature's Way, Alive! Once Daily, Men's Ultra Potency Multi-Vitamin
    Healthy Origins, Alpha Lipoic Acid

Ordered 3 times previously in the last 2 moths with around same value and no duty charges. Could it be Alpha Lipoic Acid?

That's terrible. Absolute joke. Everyone should be following this up with revenue though... They can't just decide to change their tune over things like this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Has anyone ordered using the Internation Airmail and get charged by customs? I've always used DHL in the past and never got charged before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ordered a tub of vitamin C, some cayenne pepper capsules and garlic capsules last week. The order was approx $40.

I got a DHL text just now saying I have a customs import taxes of €17.17 to pay.. (€10 of that is DHL paperwork charge) ( I called DHL and guy said - 'as now VAT is applicable to all food stuffs over €22!! )!
    Not sure if that is true, garlic capsules still show as zero VAT on the revenue site.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-03515.jsp

it is in DHLs interest to lump it in with "supplements" some of which are liable, since if you are over the limit they get their handy admin fees.
    vigos wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered using the Internation Airmail and get charged by customs?
    This was advised by iherb themselves and in a recent thread in bargain alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91006652

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What is an admin charge??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Got a letter from DHL recently stating that I owe £50 in custom charges from previous orders. As i was using parcel motel up in Antrim, I think they can feck off for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 t_dog

I got done for €17 today... No supplements or vitamins, just face cream, stridex, teas and lip balm.. Still scratching my head trying to figure it out. Was advised by the guy who I paid the charges to that everything coming in is being taxed...

Anyone know if its DHL that can provide a breakdown/receipt for this??

So does this mean that customs actually opened the box first and then went to customs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

siblers wrote: »
    Got a letter from DHL recently stating that I owe £50 in custom charges from previous orders. As i was using parcel motel up in Antrim, I think they can feck off for themselves.

WTF? Is this DHL that are acting the bollox or is it customs, as it seems DHL are getting a nice deal from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This is customs that are clamping down, nothing to do with DHL. You should just be thankful you got away with it for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

This is customs that are clamping down, nothing to do with DHL. You should just be thankful you got away with it for so long.

Just a bit sanctimonious.

People were 'getting away' with getting genuine value for money, as rare as rocking horse shít on this island.

People were 'getting away' with getting genuine value for money, as rare as rocking horse shít on this island.

No, you were getting away with not paying import fees. No point getting all riled up now because they are being enforced.

No, you were getting away with not paying import fees. No point getting all riled up now because they are being enforced.

No - I am aware that there is VAT or whatever on sports enhancing supps or beauty items but I ordered health supplements/ food based.. which is marked on revenue as zero tax!

No - I am aware that there is VAT or whatever on sports enhancing supps or beauty items but I ordered health supplements/ food based.. which is marked on revenue as zero tax!

Then confirm with revenue that what you ordered shouldn't have any tax applied and contact DHL to inform them of same. They are grand to deal with but the front line staff can be a bit clueless, you may need to email them proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

people mightnt agree with me - I'm against high tax on these items btw.

But the current situation is driving irish providers to the wall - they cannot compete with places outside the ireland on price given the VAT situation - it's not to do with massive margins or anything. It's the taxation.

So in principal I agree with the revenue's clampdown on imports to level the playing field so to speak.

now before you rant at me - I'll repeat I'd rather the VAt was much lower but at present it screws irish operators if imports can function with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Any EU, UK or Irish based alternatives to iHerb that are reasonable for the same or similar products?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dkhylan

Had a long call with DHL, who proceeded to tell me that iHerb shipments have been flagged following a ping from Customs since June 10th so they will always gets flagged for customs moving forward.

They said to take it up with Revenue if VAT had been applied incorrectly, since accordingly to this (can't post link) food supplements are VAT free:
    no-702011

They gave me contact details for Revenue and a name however that person is not in the office at the moment so I could not get any decent answers, the chap that I spoke to said that the labelling is technically incorrect now following new more precise interpretation of the rules and that is why these are now getting flagged "health and beauty supplements" is now always categorised as needing to be charged VAT.

I proceeded to chat further with him and he said that if iHerb changed the category to Food Supplements, and also listed the exact contents of the shipment in their DHL documentation (to prove they are supplements), that in theory VAT would no longer get charged, the info that they have on file is only a short summary so it's impossible for them to make a judgement call, they don't check contents only the documentation provided, however because of the incorrect category, all shipments from iHerb are now flagged automatically for customs.

I've emailed iHerb to see if they can re-categorise future shipments and also include additional documentation when shipping, have not heard anything back yet so not sure if they will be a goer.

Will post back here if I get any additional info...

***UPDATE FROM IHERB SUPPORT***

Dear D,

We're very sorry to hear that you had an issue in your order that you received. I will let the management know about this issue to avoid this incident in future. Thank you for letting us know your concern and thank you for your feedback to improve our service. I also add a note toy our account about your request so they could check every time you order from us.

We're sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that may caused you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

dkhylan wrote: »
    Had a long call with DHL, who proceeded to tell me that iHerb shipments have been flagged following a ping from Customs since June 10th so they will always gets flagged for customs moving forward.

They said to take it up with Revenue if VAT had been applied incorrectly, since accordingly to this (can't post link) food supplements are VAT free:
    no-702011

They gave me contact details for Revenue and a name however that person is not in the office at the moment so I could not get any decent answers, the chap that I spoke to said that the labelling is technically incorrect now following new more precise interpretation of the rules and that is why these are now getting flagged "health and beauty supplements" is now always categorised as needing to be charged VAT.

I proceeded to chat further with him and he said that if iHerb changed the category to Food Supplements, and also listed the exact contents of the shipment in their DHL documentation (to prove they are supplements), that in theory VAT would no longer get charged, the info that they have on file is only a short summary so it's impossible for them to make a judgement call, they don't check contents only the documentation provided, however because of the incorrect category, all shipments from iHerb are now flagged automatically for customs.

I've emailed iHerb to see if they can re-categorise future shipments and also include additional documentation when shipping, have not heard anything back yet so not sure if they will be a goer.

Will post back here if I get any additional info...

YOu got further with DHL then I did anyway!

I'm wondering, if I pay for the charges (including €10 DHL fee) can I get them back or should I wait to get charges cleared and then accept delivery?

• Advertisement

YOu got further with DHL then I did anyway!

I'm wondering, if I pay for the charges (including €10 DHL fee) can I get them back or should I wait to get charges cleared and then accept delivery?

Speaking from experience (i do a lot of global shipments at work) it'll take absolutely ages to get the charges reimbursed if they are applied incorrectly. Personally i would get them cleared first.

Advertisement