Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Unseen

• 26-11-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Another one at the Odeon next Monday. Anyone have any idea what it might be? Last one was Nightcrawler, which was superb. Something of that calibre would be welcome but I'm always worried it could be some dross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Black Sea maybe? Could be St Vincent or Men, Women & Children too as they're both released the Friday after.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I heard it might be Unbroken That would be class

Seems the hot money is now riding on Whiplash which won the Audience Award at this year's Sundance Film Festival. If correct, that's a bit of a treat as it doesn't open until mid-January 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

So what did this turn out to be after tonight ? Was post to go but my Date let me down :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I believe it was indeed Whiplash.

• Advertisement

It was Whiplash and it was superb

I see The Odeon is having another ScreenUnseen on Monday 19th. Word to the wise is that the film is Selma

Screen Unseen is back next Tuesday in Odeon cinemas. Word to the wise is that the film is Black Mass. That is a welcome return to the sort of film that should be shown after the disappointment of overwrought biographies, cartoons, and chick flicks that have marred the series recently. Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Screen Unseen is back next Tuesday in Odeon cinemas. Word to the wise is that the film is Black Mass. That is a welcome return to the sort of film that should be shown after the disappointment of overwrought biographies, cartoons, and chick flicks that have marred the series recently. Looking forward to this.

How sure are you that the film is Black Mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭jeffk

Great idea done wrong, I went the first one and enjoyed nightcrawler.
    But the rest of them(baring black mass if true) id have no interest in at all.

Why should I or anyone pay the same money to chance seeing something they like as to watch a film they will like

Its a Monday,so mid week like bargain Wednesday
    Its not 3D or Isense
    They dont add anything extra

It should be for odeon premier members as a thank you for loyalty and then after that have a few tickets as competition prizes.
    I even suggested they do a competition to guess the film and win something like free tickets/food etc

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Great idea done wrong, I went the first one and enjoyed nightcrawler.
    But the rest of them(baring black mass if true) id have no interest in at all.

Why should I or anyone pay the same money to chance seeing something they like as to watch a film they will like

Its a Monday,so mid week like bargain Wednesday
    Its not 3D or Isense
    They dont add anything extra

It should be for odeon premier members as a thank you for loyalty and then after that have a few tickets as competition prizes.
    I even suggested they do a competition to guess the film and win something like free tickets/food etc
    I have to agree that it's not used as a promotional tool which seems silly. Their coverage of upcoming films is quite poor, however, I like the fact that I will be able to see a film possibly a month before its wide release which means you can enjoy reviews without worrying about spoilers

Ageyev wrote: »
    How sure are you that the film is Black Mass?
    It IS Black Mass

I have to agree that it's not used as a promotional tool which seems silly. Their coverage of upcoming films is quite poor, however, I like the fact that I will be able to see a film possibly a month before its wide release which means you can enjoy reviews without worrying about spoilers

A film yes, but not a niche film that a small minority would enjoy,its far too open to have people walking out and saying refund please.

IF they showed a big film(Jurassic World,Avengers,Inside out etc), I'm sure they would sell out every-time,but then id say its near impossible with red tape to allow a big film being shown so early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually I'd say showing smaller films is far more of an effective promotional tool than if they were showing big films. It's films like Whiplash or Me and Earl... that benefit from word of mouth, the types of films that a lot of people won't necessarily go out of the way to see normally. Blanket marketing for bigger films means they're pretty much guaranteed hits (regardless of quality), whereas smaller but well regarded efforts have their work cut out for them in comparison.

And anyway, the real value IMO in surprise screenings is to offer something unexpected, and take the audience out of their comfort zone :) (sadly, this is something the likes of JDIFF and Horrorthon routinely fail at - at least Odeon have the comparative luxury of whatever's coming up on general release in the coming few weeks).

Actually I'd say showing smaller films is far more of an effective promotional tool than if they were showing big films. It's films like Whiplash or Me and Earl... that benefit from word of mouth, the types of films that a lot of people won't necessarily go out of the way to see normally. Blanket marketing for bigger films means they're pretty much guaranteed hits (regardless of quality), whereas smaller but well regarded efforts have their work cut out for them in comparison.

And anyway, the real value IMO in surprise screenings is to offer something unexpected, and take the audience out of their comfort zone :) (sadly, this is something the likes of JDIFF and Horrorthon routinely fail at - at least Odeon have the comparative luxury of whatever's coming up on general release in the coming few weeks).

But as I said how many want to risk paying to see a film they hate compared to waiting two days to pay the same to see a film they will likely love

But as I said how many want to risk paying to see a film they hate compared to waiting two days to pay the same to see a film they will likely love
    Speak for yourself. I'd take the current list of Screen Unseen players over Jurassic World any day of the week.

I remember going to see a Surprise Cineworld Unlimited screening. Everyone new it was going to be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes already and sure enough it was. The film was okay but the whole evening felt like a bit of an anticlimax really. Also I'm a little bemused at the idea that all these critically acclaimed films that did well with audiences are "risks".

There's almost no quality control in what you're positing here too. It's pretty much "Oh a big film's coming out in 2 days? Just show it early as a surprise then. That'll sell us tickets!" I'll take all the curation I can get from the multiplexes tbh if it means more variety and interesting films on offer.

e_e wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. I'd take the current list of Screen Unseen players over Jurassic World any day of the week.

I remember going to see a Surprise Cineworld Unlimited screening. Everyone new it was going to be Dawn of the Planet of the Apes already and sure enough it was. The film was okay but the whole evening felt like a bit of an anticlimax really. Also I'm a little bemused at the idea that all these critically acclaimed films that did well with audiences are "risks".

There's almost no quality control in what you're positing here too. It's pretty much "Oh a big film's coming out in 2 days? Just show it early as a surprise then. That'll sell us tickets!"

Id love to know how many more there are like you, if its filling the cinema then its a good idea, but I don't remember it being that full.

Would you go into a place to eat and say here is what I pay for my usual, you pick something and ill eat it?

Id love to know how many more there are like you, if its filling the cinema then its a good idea, but I don't remember it being that full.

Would you go into a place to eat and say here is what I pay for my usual, you pick something and ill eat it?
    You are aware that there a lot of people who like to try new things when they go out to eat right? Hell there are many restaurants with set menus.

I think there's a lot of cinemagoers such as myself who like to be surprised by what they watch and not just leave the house to see a longer version of the trailer. Look at how Savoy 1 is routinely full each year for JDIFF's surprise film despite a track record that is shaky at best.

I don't really care about defending it on a business model tbh. If the cinemas are doing well enough that they can offer quality over quantity stuff like this, then all the power to them. I really don't see what your issue is, if you want to just see big movies then... see big movies I guess.

You are aware that there a lot of people who like to try new things when they go out to eat right? Hell there are many restaurants with set menus.

I think there's a lot of cinemagoers such as myself who like to be surprised by what they watch and not just leave the house to see a longer version of the trailer. Look at how Savoy 1 is routinely full each year for JDIFF's surprise film despite a track record that is shaky at best.

I don't really care about defending it on a business model tbh. If the cinemas are doing well enough that they can offer quality over quantity stuff like this, then all the power to them. I really don't see what your issue is, if you want to just see big movies then... see big movies I guess.

Try yes, but not blindfolded, you’ll ask them about it or there will be a list of what’s in it etc, you won’t go ill have something different and god knows what turns up

Each to their own I suppose. I’ll watch or give most films or documentary’s a chance, but I won’t go and pay into a cinema to walk out after twenty minutes because it didn’t hook me in. Might as well use that money to see a film I or herself wants to see

My issue is how badly the cinemas in general are ran and ive offered them suggestions and posted here
    • Classic film night
    • Facebook film vote
    • Girly film when big sporting event on (tie in with a charity)
    • Deals with surrounding fast food or coffee places
    It is good they are trying something different and people(maybe not many) enjoy it, but I wish it was the start of trying new things(which I doubt as this idea is months old)

We definitely agree about cinemas needing to do more interesting stuff.

An Alamo Drafthouse style cinema in Dublin would be a real treat for me.

• Advertisement

I like the look of that Alamo setup, better than the generic experience we get!

The Latest Screen Unseen last night was The Revenant. A brutal, unforgiving movie with great performances all round including DiCaprio, Tom Hardy and the ubiquitous Domhnall Gleeson. It's not a spoiler, as it's been in the trailer, but the bear attack is one of the most gruesome, and realistic scenes I've ever witnessed on screen. This is definitely not a date movie. The screening I was at, some people left after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Glad I went last night since I've only missed one Screen Unseen since it started.

Revanent was a film I was planning on seeing and I love watching it before others.A beautifully shot harrowing film but ran long and was too slow paced for my liking.I recognise it's a good film but just not to my taste.

Loved Room however which was the last screen unseen even though I couldn't sleep after it.Such an engaging film and Jacob Tremblay was amazing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The next screen unseen is March 29th. The clue has me a bit stumped though...

One of 2015's best characters united with his granddaddy's step-brother.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Mr E wrote: »

Any ideas?

An online theory I stumbled across suggests it might be Jeff Nichols' latest film - Midnight Special:

Kylo Ren (2015s best characters) is portrayed by Adam Driver.

Kylo Ren's Grandad's Step-Brother is Owen Lars (Lukes Uncle Owen and Anakins Step-Brother) who is portrayed by Joel Edgerton.

Both Adam Driver and Joel Edgerton are in Midnight Special!

Seems like a solid guess. I think I will try to head along to the screening. I've liked all of Nichols' films so far.

Mr E wrote: »

Any ideas?

Apparently it's the new Michael Shannon film Midnight Special.

The clue has been interpreted as Adam Driver played Kylo Ren who was Darth Vader's grandson, and Joel Edgerton played Owen Lars who was Anakin's step-brother in Star Wars Episodes 2 & 3. They both appear in Midnight Special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The one near me regularly does silent films with live scores and is screening the entirety of Out 1 at the end of the month. :)

Honestly, if Dublin had another distinct cinema other than the Lighthouse at all, I'd be pretty happy living there. I'd rather one that almost exclusively showed older films but I'd happily take a drafthouse, I'd imagine it'd be a huge success in Dublin too with some of its events.

Pretty much ignoring the IFI, it does it's job but it does absolutely nothing else. Would much prefer a better layout in a worse location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

The one near me regularly does silent films with live scores and is screening the entirety of Out 1 at the end of the month. :)

Honestly, if Dublin had another distinct cinema other than the Lighthouse at all, I'd be pretty happy living there. I'd rather one that almost exclusively showed older films but I'd happily take a drafthouse, I'd imagine it'd be a huge success in Dublin too with some of its events.

Pretty much ignoring the IFI, it does it's job but it does absolutely nothing else. Would much prefer a better layout in a worse location too.

As much as I like the Lighthouse, I don't understand the dismissiveness of the IFI in your post. It regularly does silent films with live scores; it did 'Out 1' in its entirety in December; it shows many more older films than the Lighthouse; it has lots more filmmakers in to present their work and do Q&A's, so what do you mean by your comment about how it does its job and nothing else? It doesn't do fancy dress parties? From all you've said, the IFI is your ideal Dublin cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

As much as I like the Lighthouse, I don't understand the dismissiveness of the IFI in your post. It regularly does silent films with live scores; it did 'Out 1' in its entirety in December; it shows many more older films than the Lighthouse; it has lots more filmmakers in to present their work and do Q&A's, so what do you mean by your comment about how it does its job and nothing else? It doesn't do fancy dress parties? From all you've said, the IFI is your ideal Dublin cinema.
    Nah, my ideal Dublin cinema doesn't exist!
    That's its job though, it should be showing Out 1. When a film like that is in circulation as it is at the moment, that should be a given for, what's pretty much, the sole art house cinema in the country.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd be living in the place if I was based in Dublin, but I hate the building, fair play to them for squeezing three screens in there but I've never came out of any of the theatres without some pretty big reservations about how uncomfortable the experience was (3, despite the tiny screen, is okay in that regard, but I've got.... issues with single aisle setups). I'm actually going to Out 1 this weekend and I can tell by the way I'm dreading it right now that there's no way I'd've endured the 12 hours in any IFI screen.

(I've been somewhat spoiled rotten over the past year in regards to cinemas with lovely community ran places from the 1920s and whatnot btw :pac: )

• Advertisement

I'm actually going to Out 1 this weekend and I can tell by the way I'm dreading it right now that there's no way I'd've endured the 12 hours in any IFI screen.
    I was there for that marathon experience in December and as much as I enjoyed it part of me waking up on the second day thought "Do I really want to spend another 6 hours in that fecking screen?"

Advertisement