Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engagement rings

• 10-08-2016 3:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

A friend of mine got engaged recently, apparently he spent eight grand on the ring! I didn't ask, he told us in the Whatsapp group. It's his money but personally I think that amount is ridiculous.

How much was spent on yours? They used to flog the whole "three months salary" guff (which was a great campaign) but curious to know what the going rate is now-a-days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A friend of mine got engaged recently, apparently he spent eight grand on the ring! I didn't ask, he told us in the Whatsapp group. It's his money but personally I think that amount is ridiculous.

How much was spent on yours? They used to flog the whole "three months salary" guff (which was a great campaign) but curious to know what the going rate is now-a-days.

€8k is fine if he can afford that. Kind of obnoxious to be telling people though. I didnt spent anything like that.

I hope his wan is properly hot and deserving of such expensive hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

It wouldn't have been worth messaging about if it costs less!

Who goes round telling everyone how much stuff like that costs?

I give the marriage a year before the divorce:D

How much is the wedding budget?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

€0.00

I wouldn't have wanted to marry someone who thinks that's a good way to spend money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Another engaging engagement ring thread

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

gimmick wrote: »
    €8k is fine if he can afford that.

Well given his job, I'd say it's a hell of a lot of cash for him. And telling us how much didn't come across as obnoxious, he's a good lad and there's only a few of us in the group.
    I hope his wan is properly hot and deserving of such expensive hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Mine wasn't even half of that and to be honest if he had bought me an 8K ring I would have had to go and buy a cheap fake one to wear most of time.. Would be terrified of losing something worth that much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A friend of mine got engaged recently, apparently he spent eight grand on the ring!
    No, he wasted eight grand on a piece of common carbon worth whatever people will pay for it. Right after he handed over the money it probably lost half it's value.

Engagement rings are the abuse of social engineering at it's finest. A completely worthless.. Well it's not worthless, we use diamonds at work for cleaning grinding wheels, great for that job, but other than being really hard they have no value.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

josip wrote: »
    Another engaging engagement ring thread

Always a poster, never the thread starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

€1.00

Pack of Jonnie Onion Rings was good enough.

• Advertisement

Absolutely mind boggling the money people spend on such a thing. I agree with Scumlord.
    They really are just rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

After the wedding, the bride rarely if ever wears the engagement, right?

Whereas the wedding ring might be on your finger everyday of your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Diamonds are the biggest scam on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After the wedding, the bride rarely if ever wears the engagement, right?

Whereas the wedding ring might be on your finger everyday of your life
    No, most people wear the engagement ring with the wedding ring.

At the end of the day who cares what people want to spend their money on? While one can argue that diamond prices are controlled by DeBeers, they still are what they are so an engagement ring can be considered an investment in an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Well given his job, I'd say it's a hell of a lot of cash for him. And telling us how much didn't come across as obnoxious, he's a good lad and there's only a few of us in the group.

The attachment doesn't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I didn't buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What happens if they break up before the wedding; is he entitled to the ring back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What happens if they break up before the wedding; is he entitled to the ring back?
    Yes.

seamus wrote: »
    ....an engagement ring can be considered an investment in an asset.

try and resell it and find out if your investment was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Smondie wrote: »
    try and resell it and find out if your investment was worth it!

Depends who is selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd be murdered dead if I did that. That's money that could have gone to the house deposit. Or a couple of months in Southeast Asia.

They really are just rocks.

They're MINERALS!!!

Goddamit Marie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

OSI wrote: »
    "One used engagement ring for sale"

Yeah, you're alright thanks.

Plenty on adverts.

I usually comment asking for the reason for sale.
    Great craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

eeguy wrote:
    I usually comment asking for the reason for sale. Great craic.

Would have thought the reason would be fairly obvious and probably not great craic for the person involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Pac1Man wrote: »

Technically, yes. But if they broke up because he cheated or something, it'd be a bit cheeky for him to ask for it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Always a poster, never the thread starter.

...posts the poster who has started 15 threads in 816 posts

woodchuck wrote: »
    Technically, yes. But if they broke up because he cheated or something, it'd be a bit cheeky for him to ask for it back!!

Not really. The reason for break up has nothing to do with the ring. Same as no fault divorce we have here. He might need it for his new lady, having spent all him money (or got in debt ) to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

seamus wrote: »
    At the end of the day who cares what people want to spend their money on? While one can argue that diamond prices are controlled by DeBeers, they still are what they are so an engagement ring can be considered an investment in an asset.
    It's a highly inflated market, I don't see how diamonds could be considered an investment. They only demand high prices in shops, on the second hand market you won't get anywhere near the money you spent, the diamond will only lose value. De Beers could flood the market the next day and make diamonds virtually worthless, they wouldn't do that obviously but the point is if the fake restrictions were taken off diamonds tomorrow you're "investment" would be worthless. De Beers stranglehold on the market is also loosening thanks to new discovery techniques that are finding diamonds all over the place, it's going to get harder and harder for De beers to control the market as time goes on making them less and less of an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

About 350 grand. Was a bit strapped at the time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Even amongst friends I don't get why he would mention the price..

Advertisement