Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Profit justifies it.

Options
  • 18-11-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭

Most commentators agree that the rise of social media and stoking of extreme views have changed, shaped politics and society.

I listen to RTE radio 1 and to Newstalk 106, now what Newstalk seems to be going an 'interesting' direction Its always been pro business ect, however its appears to be going even further. Instead of a balanced discussion on the issues.
    Teachers, immigration or any issue it has become lets get someone with extreme views or a complete loon on, while still appearing to be a serious news station.

Are news editors are in a dilemma in a profit driven situation knowing that the more out there or edgy the guest is the more reaction and therefore the more listeners, more listeners equals more profit.

Is it possible for the media to unbiased in a profit driven situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Give an example? The newstalk ones. RTE brought on that professional troll under the pretence she was a trump supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just listen to better discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya i have defiantly noted a shift to the right on newstalk recently. it was always center right but it is going more into that kind of populist right stuff now.
    since he game back for covering the US election George hook is really going at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Deco99 wrote: »
    Give an example? The newstalk ones. RTE brought on that professional troll under the pretence she was a trump supporter.

True but they also did not broadcast (at the time ) an interview with the Irish Isis supporter Khalid Kelly because of his extreme views, so they do take a position on not broadcasting some interviews. The existence of the interview only came out after he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya i have defiantly noted a shift to the right on newstalk recently. it was always center right but it is going more into that kind of populist right stuff now.
    since he game back for covering the US election George hook is really going at it.

George Hook doesn't count but when People like Shane Coleman start doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mariaalice wrote: »
    Most commentators agree that the rise of social media and stoking of extreme views have changed, shaped politics and society.

I listen to RTE radio 1 and to Newstalk 106, now what Newstalk seems to be going an 'interesting' direction Its always been pro business ect, however its appears to be going even further. Instead of a balanced discussion on the issues.
    Teachers, immigration or any issue it has become lets get someone with extreme views or a complete loon on, while still appearing to be a serious news station.

Are news editors are in a dilemma in a profit driven situation knowing that the more out there or edgy the guest is the more reaction and therefore the more listeners, more listeners equals more profit.

Is it possible for the media to unbiased in a profit driven situation.

Ok next up on the show is Michael Graham.. do you agree or disagree? Text us now on 53106 and send us your yummy money because we made you angry or self righteous.

So yes, it's profit driven for some parts of it...

..unlike boards.ie where we can have a rant for free, and we'll read out all your texts...well most of them anyway*

*this poster has received a small gratuity for that sentence
    the value of your posts may go up as well as down
    boards.ie is an unregulated company backed by the illuminati

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I feel that many issues have been polarised and the opponents often gets a bit nasty.
    I suppose the recent US election is an example of that.

Listening to debates on Joe Duffy and similar shows makes me cringe and laugh with the crap people come up with as they want to "push their point home"

Advertisement