Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weirdest food you've tried/Is Irish food boring?

Options
  • 18-11-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Irish food is great. I love a good steak and fresh Irish spuds and vegetables.

But we really are fairly boring/unadventurous compared to other countries.

I've had live squid and silkworm larvae in Korea.

I've had deep fried cows lips and rooster crests in tomato sauce in Spain.

I'm aware of but haven't tried jellied eels in England and brandied swallows in France.

What's the weirdest thing you've eaten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Snake soup in Kenya.

Edit: can't actually remember what it tasted like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm aware of but haven't tried jellied eels in England and brandied swallows in France.

Just in France? If I brought her to Italy would she spit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Deep fried bulls testicles in Slovenia, were actually really nice
    Crispy pigs ears in Lithuania

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Durian Fruit
    The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage.

Absolutely disgusting stuff and the markets in Kuala Lumpur all stank of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Marzipan.

Everything else is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

irish_goat wrote: »
    Durian Fruit

Curious to try this though :)

Suppose human placenta is the one most people notice when I list the weird things I have eaten.

People are often surprised when I mention catching killing and eating wild rabbit too.

Used to think I was weird enough eating horse that I bought a few times - but then sher it turned out we were all at it without knowing :)

Tuna Eyeball - Hákarl - snails - frog - pigeon in the UK - kangeroo and crocodile.

I have not _yet_ had human toe in The Sourtoe Cocktail but it is high on my to do list. As is "Dragon in the Flame of Desire"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Some people only try weird food so they can say to others they had weird food.

Live squid? That's just cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Whale, both raw and cooked - delicious.

Raw horse meat - tasted fine, mostly of the accompanying sauce.

Bee larvae -weird but ok.

Fermented squid guts - maybe the worst food it is possible to eat in the entire universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Live squid? That's just cruel.

Well it was chopped up - you don't swallow it whole.

And it's washed down with Korean vodka so it probably doesn't feel much......

But on the other hand it probably is cruel yes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Durian Fruit

When I was travelling around SE Asia there were signs on loads of hostels and hotels saying it was banned on the premise.

Apparently it tastes quite nice, it's just the smell.

I ate Guinea Pig in Peru. Feck all meat on the ****ers. Went and ate a burger afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

What we have here is a food intellectual. Usually found gorging on humble pie as the snails inside grow horns and gouge their insides. That is unless a spud eating paddy has not knocked some sense into his caviar infested brain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Grayson wrote: »
    When I was travelling around SE Asia there were signs on loads of hostels and hotels saying it was banned on the premise.

Apparently it tastes quite nice, it's just the smell.

Yeah it's banned on public transport and there was a fine in our hotel if we brought it into the room. Definitely doesn't taste nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had Supermacs once

once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Curious to try this though :)

You can buy durian fruit on Moore St. in the Asian shop near the entrance to the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yeah it's banned on public transport and there was a fine in our hotel if we brought it into the room. Definitely doesn't taste nice though.

Doesn't taste as bad as it smells.

Deep fried tarantulas were a bit icky, legs were nice and crunchy, the body was a bit too dry for my liking.

Was on a Kopi Luwak farm in Indonesia, they cleaned the excremented coffee beans and roasted them fresh. Not a bad coffee, but not worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

biko wrote: »
    I had Supermacs once

once

Abrakebabra once....

Never again.

Advertisement