Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why shops are freezing cold?

• 18-11-2016 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Call into a shop to get a paper, it was like walking into a freezer. The door was wide open and there was no heater on. The poor woman at the counter was rubbing her hands and stamping feet to keep warm even though she was wearing a high neck woollen jumper inside her blouse and a fleece jacket. I asked her can she closed the door or put on the heater but she said the door has to be opened at all times and heater only comes on for few hours in the morn. I know the temp in the shop is supposed to be around 16c or more but it was like less than 5c as it was really freezing in the shop. What's it going to like as the weather gets colder! Surely this isn't right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The owner is saving up for a self driving car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Armed robbers and thieves don't like the cold. Sure look at the Costa del Sol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

It's new measures to cut down on aul wans taking up time at the till for a chat. Buy your lotto and your milk and get lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

sweetsugar wrote: »
    The door was wide open and there was no heater on.

/end thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Her employer has an obligation to heat the shop during cold weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Was it a branch of Iceland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

It's a shop not a fvcking sauna!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How can the shop be freezing if the temperature was above 0c ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Jan Laco wrote: »
    It's new measures to cut down on aul wans taking up time at the till for a chat. Buy your lotto and your milk and get lost.
    And to make them have their money ready instead of spending an eternity rummaging around for it after the cashier has advised them what the total cost of their goods is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

snubbleste wrote: »

Many substances have freezing points above 0c. Most building materials, for example, would be solid at temperatures much higher than that. So yes, the shop can be freezing at temperatures far, far above 0c.

/Crappy Physics lesson. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Flimpson wrote: »
    And to make them have their money ready instead of spending an eternity rummaging around for it after the cashier has advised them what the total cost of their goods is.

But if their fingers are numb from the cold, or wearing gloves, then it well take longer to get the right change.
    Nothing nicer than going in to a shop in winter and getting that blast of warm air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Could have been a shop with an atmosphere of Benzene but if that was the case I doubt the OP would be just complaing about themselves been freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I say Snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Call into a shop to get a paper, it was like walking into a freezer. The door was wide open and there was no heater on. The poor woman at the counter was rubbing her hands and stamping feet to keep warm even though she was wearing a high neck woollen jumper inside her blouse and a fleece jacket. I asked her can she closed the door or put on the heater but she said the door has to be opened at all times and heater only comes on for few hours in the morn. I know the temp in the shop is supposed to be around 16c or more but it was like less than 5c as it was really freezing in the shop. What's it going to like as the weather gets colder! Surely this isn't right?

What baffles me is why she was wearing a woollen polo neck jumper inside her blouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

The shop is made of bricks.
    The freezing point of bricks is not 0°C.

Ridiculous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

It's a shop not a fvcking sauna!
    Bitterly cold shop
    > sauna - there's a fair bit of a difference in between. ;)

Bad working conditions for the shop assistant - surely an "open" sign on the door is sufficient in this kind of weather, rather than having to keep the fecking thing open all the time, that's horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Her employer has an obligation to heat the shop during cold weather.

correct, her employer has to provide reasonable working conditions, including heating, a seat if the job can be done sitting down etc.

its been law since around 1990 i think. that being said i worked in a shop for 14 years with no heat so i always brought my own little heater and refused to budge from in front of it lol.

some owners are just tight fisted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

why shops are freezing cold?

Really glad you're calling them shops!

...so many people nowadays calling shops 'stores' :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

LordSutch wrote: »
    Really glad you're calling them shops!

...so many people nowadays calling shops 'stores' :mad:

Some day soon, we'll all be picking up supplies in the local store. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Winterlong wrote: »
    But if their fingers are numb from the cold, or wearing gloves, then it well take longer to get the right change.
    Nothing nicer than going in to a shop in winter and getting that blast of warm air.

It's to keep her fingers numb so she can't go sticking it up mens rear ends.
    Apparently its a pandemic according to the other thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement