Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Vaxers Prove Themselves Wrong

• 18-11-2016 7:43pm

A study funded by anti-vax group Safeminds in an attempt to prove a link between vaccines and autism has backfired.

http://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaxxers-accidentally-fund-study-showing-theres-no-link-between-autism-and-379245
    Despite the science, organizations involved in the anti-vaccine movement still hope to find some evidence that vaccines threaten children’s health. For example, the autism advocacy organization SafeMinds recently funded research it hoped would prove vaccines cause autism in children. But this effort appears to have backfired for the organization—whose mission is to raise awareness about how certain environmental exposures may be linked to autism—since the study SafeMinds supported showed a link between autism and vaccines does not exist.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/112/40/12498.abstract
    This study does not support the hypothesis that thimerosal-containing vaccines and/or the MMR vaccine play a role in the etiology of autism.

Unsurprisingly, the anti-vaxers are unimpressed, and are now questioning the validity of the study (that they funded).
    SafeMinds has concerns about changes in the study design protocol and analysis that may have led to these contradictory results. We are in the process of collecting and reviewing additional information regarding this study.

Goalposts all over the place.

I love when these things happen. If anyone has any other examples of shooting-oneself-in-the-footitis, please share. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

2015 called, it wants its breaking news back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Television called it wants it's old ****e joke back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm sure they will just keep funding studies until they get the "right" answer for them.
    Tinfoil hat brigade.
    Absolute idiots,they are putting the lives of countless children at risk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

magentis wrote: »
    I'm sure they will just keep funding studies until they get the "right" answer for them.
    Tinfoil hat brigade.
    Absolute idiots,they are putting the lives of countless children at risk.

Yeah i'm glad loads of places are incorporating vaccination requirements for enrolment

Yes, and I'd love to see more examples of people shooting themselves in the foot, if you have any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Oldie but a goodie (skip to about 45 seconds in)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah i'm glad loads of places are incorporating vaccination requirements for enrolment

California has made vaccination mandatory for public school enrolment after a big outbreak of measles at Disneyland last year, no more religious exemptions either.

Sadly this means more kids will be homeschooled by extremists, but it's a step in the right direction imo.

Oldie but a goodie (skip to about 45 seconds in)

Brilliant! :)

Advertisement