Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

• 09-11-2016 5:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Available from Amazon

Costs about 150 pounds basic Ring unit.
    Pro is available from the states not Europe about 40 pounds more expensive

These are doorbells that still ring your old bell but also link to your WiFi network and trigger your Apple, Windows and android phone. You can talk to the person on your phone and you see and hear them, they hear you

There is a WiFi chime about 25 pounds that links to both models for extra notification, it uses WiFi, there can be a delay

Both record to the cloud @ 3 dollars a month per device

They have a Ring Camera too that uses the same app if you get it it's another 3 bucks a month

Both come with 1 months old recording trial trial

Both have a live view option added now
    Both record about 40 second's
    Evey record is available on the app and you launch the the videos c/w audio , they load from the cloud

Both units come with everything you need to mount them bar a drill.
    Screwdrivers, plugs and screws , tiny spirit level (only useful for this), security driver
    Both have a lifetime anti theft guarantee

There are two types the one Amazon.co.uk sell is the first one

Basic Ring

Straight exchange with your existing doorbell
    Can be 12V to 24V

Video 720p
    Wide angle view records all the area in view
    Battery onboard charged form the 12-24V doorbell cables
    Battery can last 6 months so you don't have to have it by the cables. But you might need the chime then
    Charges from standard phone USB charger but you get a cable anyway
    3 colours brass , chrome, bronze select when ordering
    Motion detection
    Night vision
    Two way intercom
    IFTTT compliant

Ring Pro, not sold in Europe as most doorbells here are 12V, you can order it form the states and change the traffo

Straight exchange with your existing doorbell if it's 16 -24 volts
    Can be 16V to 24V
    Video 1080p
    Wide angle view records, you can select the area you want to record and ignore the rest
    No battery so it's smaller but I has to be wired up
    5 colours all given to you as clip on units
    Motion detection
    Night vision
    Two way intercom
    IFTTT compliant

I have the basic Ring I'm happy with 720p and I need to record the whole area anyway as it picks up my cars. If I had a need for the pro I would have bought it

Ring Pro will require the bell transformer being changed to a 16 V unit these are about 15 euro

Set up, its a great bit of packaging, you get a level, screwdriver with a reversible head one for the mounting screw and one for the security screws (just hex heads). The app set up takes minutes you pair the units by pressing a button on the back.

IFTTT options

You can use an applet to turn on a socket from IFTTT approved sockets when the bell or motion calls for recording. I've used this on lightwaverf, it works, ring the bell wait a couple of seconds and the lamps turns on. I'm going to delete this and use a handy lightwaverf feature, I'll call an event instead of the socket on, I'll make the event porch socket B on
    Delay 180 seconds
    Porch socket B off

This is a well placed PIR for a front door light
    I'm going to make an event that will turn on my front security light with the google dusk setting for 2 minutes , when I get the front light back on.

If you have a Philips hue set up you can make the lights flash when someone calls, handy for a loud TV or for the hard of hearing

You can log entries to a Google sheet, it's basic enough but you might as well do it and turn off notifications, might come in handy some day, I've yet to so it though.

I cant think of many more decent FTTT Applets now but this works very well with the ones I tired, I don't have a smart lock to utilise these features

To watch out for

This needs a good WiFi signal, not always available outside. I bought a Google onhub and it's fantastic, but my trend long range router did the job too. I wouldn't like to see this on a basic ISP router unless it was close to it.
    Test this first

It won't record to a local drive, network, different cloud location

That's it, straight forward.

Over all you are getting a lot for your money here, a camera , intercom, PIR etc,

On the funny side one of your first videos will be you biting your tongue trying to clip the bell into its holder.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stoner wrote: »
    You can't open the camera view from the app it needs the bell to be pressed or motion to be detected

Live view is enabled out of the box on the Ring Pro, I understand it can be enabled for a non-battery powered install Ring original.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bang on I'll change that. I'd picked that up from forums ,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've the ring motion detection triggering a hue lamp to flash. It's been slow on IFTTT

Stoner wrote: »
    I've the ring motion detection triggering a hue lamp to flash. It's been slow on IFTTT

Finally got my Ring Pro installed over the weekend, not a bad piece of kit at all.

Not attempted any integrations yet Stoner, keep the updates coming :D

I've the motion detector switching on a lightwaverf socket.

But on Philips hue, I have to have the light fitting turned on for it to flicker the lamp

Tbh it's just a great bit of kit and it can double as a pir for security lighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Bought the original Ring doorbell when it went to STG129 in Amazon last week
    Got it at the weekend and installed it
    All very straightforward so far,.....as they say.."does what it says on the tin"

Pros

Very fast to respond (I do have decent internet 80Mbps/2Mbps Eir)
    Camera angle is very wide angle so even though mounted well to the left of the door I can see people at the door very well
    I think the 30 dollar a year is well worth it for the cloud recording option

Cons
    there is a lag when you go into live view
    Looks like the ring classic will not be Apple Homekit compatible which is where I would like to head to eventually

so far so good!

faster better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi all

im interested in getting a ring pro doorbell

house is a new build with an existing doorbell installed if that makes any difference.

i understand that they dont officially sell them in europe but that they can be made work easily enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

They're in Currys, also available online.

ring pro not the standard ring ?

I don't think the Ring Pro is launched in Ireland (or UK) yet. It doesn't have the built in battery of the "classic" model so needs a bell transformer to work and I think there is some issue with the voltage needing to be 12v rather than the usual 24v found over here.

Presumably they will issue a modified version in the coming months.

They have a UK twitter account where the occasional update is issued.

I bought the classic myself for STG129 on Amazon and am very pleased with it so far...picture quality is fine for someone at the door. Its a little bulky if space is at a premium. But so far it has worked 100% as expected.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    ring pro not the standard ring ?

Yup. They have both types on a stand in Airside (saw them Saturday )

I bought the classic myself for STG129 on Amazon and am very pleased with it so far.../QUOTE]

Does it use the existing internal chime if someone presses it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lots of great info about Ring, including getting the Pro to work in Ireland in the Ring FAQ written by Stoner here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668769

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OU812 wrote: »
    I bought the classic myself for STG129 on Amazon and am very pleased with it so far.../QUOTE]

Does it use the existing internal chime if someone presses it?

It can be set to ring internal chime, wireless chime or both.

When set to both the chimes ring slightly apart which is a bit annoying. For the pro a good broadband connection is vital!! When it disconnects it requires the front cover to be removed, and then re-added using new setup process which is very annoying.

The app is a lot better now that it was at the beginning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Davy wrote: »
    When it disconnects it requires the front cover to be removed, and then re-added using new setup process which is very annoying.

Do you mean that every time your broadband or wifi goes down, that you have to remove it and set it all up again?

I hope not, if true, I think it would kill it for me in terms of reliability.

bk wrote: »
    Do you mean that every time your broadband or wifi goes down, that you have to remove it and set it all up again?

I hope not, if true, I think it would kill it for me in terms of reliability.

Can honestly say that's not been my experience of the Pro. It remains firmly connected to WiFi at the other end of the worlds dodgiest 3G broadband connection.

Graham wrote:
    Can honestly say that's not been my experience of the Pro. It remains firmly connected to WiFi at the other end of the worlds dodgiest 3G broadband connection.

It has not been my experience with the standard either although I read it was .

I've my bb on and off regularly.

Regarding the voltages issues, its covered correctly on the FAQ but a little off here

We use 12V
    Ring standard uses 12-24V
    Ring pro uses 16-24V

So you'd need to change the bell traffo to a 16 or 24 volt unit.

It's a job for an electrician

I'm using a 12v transformer for my Pro (as are others). No issues at all but the fact I have no external bell/chime may help.

What chime do you use graham ?

Graham wrote:
    I'm using a 12v transformer for my Pro (as are others). No issues at all but the fact I have no external bell/chime may help.

That won't help. The load from the chime is only present when the button is pressed.

The recommended voltage is 16 Vdc or higher.

The power requirement for this unit is higher than the standard it has faster wifi connections and produces higher definition video plus it has no battery to fall back on.

I suspect that it could well work fine, but also I wouldn't ignore the manufacturers take on this, they believe it enough not to market the unit in Europe.

When you have a power requirement it's met by voltage x current. If you supply it with less voltage it will still need that same power, so it draws more current, more current can, overtime damage components that are not rated to carry it.

I spent a few months years ago working on a similar issue with a Philips device. The grid range was 170-220 V. The device was rated for 185-250V.

When supplied with 180V the unit "worked " but not perfectly, they also developed issues over time as the continued impact of overheating current stressed the components to the point of early failure.

I'd be fairly sure that if the manufacturer recommended 16V than the unit failed some QC tests while operating below that, otherwise they'd happily sell it as working at 12V.

Anyway if it's working so be it. It's not a massive cost to replace these, bit of a risk, but an electrician wont fit a 16V traffo for free either.

• Advertisement

I see that the UK twitter account is saying as of yesterday that it will be available in the UK before Christmas complete with any adaptors needed for use in UK.

So it will be interesting to see if the version they launch will be in any way different from a power requirement perspective.

@ring_uk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can these be easily disassembled?

I have a custom doorbell setup that is built into a plaque that has a bell integrated into it. Do you think it would it be possible to just strip the ring doorbell from its casing and wire it to use the button in the plaque and drill a hole for the camera? Unfortunately I can't just removed the plaque as it would leave a hole in the wall and the ring door bell would not be anywhere large enough to cover it.

Virtually impossible to disassemble (the classic one anyway). Lithium battery in the middle and a circuit board that makes connections to the backplate to which the Transformer wires are connected.

The "pro" being a lot smaller and without a battery might be easier but I've never seen one in the flesh

So it will be interesting to see if the version they launch will be in any way different from a power requirement perspective.

It will, if Graham and others have it working away on 12V there might be zero difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

mine has been delivered already got a free solar sign and 15% off aswell but cant find the code now

How did you order it? I dont see a specific UK variant on the website? Did you have to ship via Parcel Motel/Wizard?

beanian wrote: »
    How did you order it? I dont see a specific UK variant on the website? Did you have to ship via Parcel Motel/Wizard?

Used parcel wizard

Came up as a sterling price

I'm not seeing that at all. Gives me a dollar price and there is no distinction that it is the new UK version

• Advertisement

beanian wrote: »
    I'm not seeing that at all. Gives me a dollar price and there is no distinction that it is the new UK version

clear your cookies maybe? took me a while also

Advertisement