Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread: the second

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It only took 5 years go get 10k posts :( wish more people got a vita

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

A second Vita thread??

We've come so far, old friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The Vita just doesn't really suit Ireland or a lot of countries, commute times are much shorter than in Japan, the portability isn't as useful. Same with the 3DS's silly streetpass feature, designed for Japan and basically locking out most other countries from certain content depending on the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Occono wrote: »
    The Vita just doesn't really suit Ireland or a lot of countries, commute times are much shorter than in Japan, the portability isn't as useful. Same with the 3DS's silly streetpass feature, designed for Japan and basically locking out most other countries from certain content depending on the game.

Whats the street pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The thing about the 3DS I prefer over Vita for travelling is the 3DS closes and protects the screen, throw it into the bag but the Vita I had bought a case worrying about how fragile it would be, it's quite bulky. I'm always worried about dropping the Vita, my 3DS has had a few bumps and is still working perfectly.

On other reasons people didn't get a Vita is the SD card yokes are so expensive.

It's a pity because it's so good for RPGs and PS1 classics, I've played more PSP games on Vita than my actual PSP. I think if I got a PS4 I'd use it more for remote play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm going to the u.k tomorrow, I've so many fecking games im not sure what too bring.

I'm going to the u.k tomorrow, I've so many fecking games im not sure what too bring.
    As you know I went to the UK lately and I was the same, I was like, do I want to get ducked into a game while I'm there? Weather was so hot it actually wouldn't have mattered.
    I brought my 3DS in the end to play Pocket Card Jockey, I was gonna bring the Vita and play BOFIV since I played it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

We made it to a second thread!!

Anyway, this might be bittersweet and I probably isn't the right place to ask this question.

Since I'd been playing a load of Vita over the last 2 years and now have a bunch of games I want to play on my PS4, I was going to send my Vita to a friend in the US who wanted to play Persona 4 Golden.

My mother took in the parcel to be delivered today but was told anything with batteries in it cannot be posted. I had a quick look online and this appears to be the case but I'm totally confused and baffled by it. How do people post electronic devices now and why doesn't this appear to apply to the likes of Amazon etc who do post these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

tok9 wrote: »
    We made it to a second thread!!

Anyway, this might be bittersweet and I probably isn't the right place to ask this question.

Since I'd been playing a load of Vita over the last 2 years and now have a bunch of games I want to play on my PS4, I was going to send my Vita to a friend in the US who wanted to play Persona 4 Golden.

My mother took in the parcel to be delivered today but was told anything with batteries in it cannot be posted. I had a quick look online and this appears to be the case but I'm totally confused and baffled by it. How do people post electronic devices now and why doesn't this appear to apply to the likes of Amazon etc who do post these things?

I don't know the answer but I can tell you right now I wouldn't be sending my beloved Vita in the post to anybody!

I hardly take it out of the house nevermind sending it half way around the world.

Won't some please think of that beautiful not made anymore OLED screen!

In other news I played Tomb Raider Definitive Edition primarily over remote play on Vita and it worked really nicely button layout etc. Solid game too.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, the Vita is such an overlooked system even just for remote playing certain games whilst reclined on your couch with an beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That is a fair response. I'm just trying to share the beauty that is, the PS Vita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've used the Vita for remote playing Walking Sims and the like but anything that requires much use of L2/R2 and L3/R3 is just not worth bothering with. Still, it is a great feature and it has resurrected my Vita after it was starting to be left up on the shelf. I must get a couple more PSOne classics for it before I bring it on holidays.

tok9 wrote: »
    That is a fair response. I'm just trying to share the beauty that is, the PS Vita.

I'm not saying it's fragile but I'm very protective of mine. As I said in particular because of the screen which you can't get new anymore. But fair play for trying to spread the Vita love.

I've used the Vita for remote playing Walking Sims and the like but anything that requires much use of L2/R2 and L3/R3 is just not worth bothering with. Still, it is a great feature and it has resurrected my Vita after it was starting to be left up on the shelf. I must get a couple more PSOne classics for it before I bring it on holidays.

That's probably why Tomb Raider worked so well because you didn't need the L2 R2 buttons that much and you didn't need to click R3 to run.

The only FPS that managed the control system well was Destiny but they put time into a proper Vita layout for remote play that most games don't which is why as you say the game mustn't be to reliant on those 3 buttons.

I played Journey on it recently to. ****ing strange game but worked perfect on Vita remotely.

And I played Limbo as well which also worked perfectly on the Vita remotely.

All in all choose your game wisely and it'll be grand.

Still baffles me though why they decided to omit those three pretty much essential buttons from the console.

They added a thumb stick which was an absolute must but with those 3 buttons I really think it would have been a massive hit. They could have really pushed remote play instead of leaving it to the diehard fans to use occasionally.

I would love to see a new Sony handheld with these issues sorted but can't see it happening unfortunately. From what I hear the Switch nails it which is one of the reasons I'll be buying one at Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

As per Drake70's suggestion I thought I'd better,

The last time I had a gaming console was the PS 2. Now though I am thinking of getting a handheld device (that suits my current lifestyle). I'm not a fan of Pokemon type games and the Vita range seems a bit more around what I'd be into..

Is it worth getting a PS Vita or is it on it's last legs??

Or is it likely a new version will come out i.e. a PS Vita 2?

fluke wrote: »

The last time I had a gaming console was the PS 2. Now though I am thinking of getting a handheld device (that suits my current lifestyle). I'm not a fan of Pokemon type games and the Vita range seems a bit more around what I'd be into..

Well it depends what kinda games you're into, if you're into Jrpg's the system has a bucket load of them and I would suggest you get one, there are also a couple of good indie games on it but the AAA games are few and far between. So what kinda games would you be into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Well it depends what kinda games you're into, if you're into Jrpg's the system has a bucket load of them and I would suggest you get one, there are also a couple of good indie games on it but the AAA games are few and far between. So what kinda games would you be into?

Thanks for responding. Hmm... I've been off the scene for a long time. I haven't really played RPG's. My kinda games would've been the adventure variety, like Metal Gear Solid, Tom Raider, Resident Evil, Commandos 2: Men of Courage. Then some of the car games like Grand Theft Auto, Jak X, Driver...to give you an indication.

Pre order started for Yomawari: Midnight Shadows - Limited Edition (PS Vita)
    https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/pre-order/products/yomawari-midnight-shadows-limited-edition-ps-vita

"Q. Do you charge/bill for pre-orders when the order is placed or on release date?
    A. If you are based in the United Kingdom, France or Germany, we do not bill you for pre-orders when you first place your order, but there will be a pre-authorisation charge for the full amount of the order. ...
    If you are based anywhere else in the world, your order is charged on the point of placing your pre-order."

I used my DPD address and did unfortunately get charged up front :l boo.

Thanks for responding. Hmm... I've been off the scene for a long time. I haven't really played RPG's. My kinda games would've been the adventure variety, like Metal Gear Solid, Tom Raider, Resident Evil, Commandos 2: Men of Courage. Then some of the car games like Grand Theft Auto, Jak X, Driver...to give you an indication.

Hmm, well there a resident evil revelations, unit 41 and killzone, metal gear solid 2 and 3 are also available , unchartered, need for speed, I can't think of anything else that might be of interest.
    Pre order started for Yomawari: Midnight Shadows - Limited Edition (PS Vita)
    https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/pre-order/products/yomawari-midnight-shadows-limited-edition-ps-vita

"Q. Do you charge/bill for pre-orders when the order is placed or on release date?
    A. If you are based in the United Kingdom, France or Germany, we do not bill you for pre-orders when you first place your order, but there will be a pre-authorisation charge for the full amount of the order. ...
    If you are based anywhere else in the world, your order is charged on the point of placing your pre-order."

I used my DPD address and did unfortunately get charged up front :l boo.

Especially if you're short on cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Just picked up a Vita. The one with the gorgeous OLED display.

I know I'm rather late to the party. Can't believe this system hasn't sold well. It really. Is a nice little console.

What should be the first games to pick up? I'm new to the Japanese RPG genre but always wanted to get into them. Which ones would be a good starter point?

Any essential accessories? I did already pick up a 32gb memory card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I know I'm rather late to the party. Can't believe this system hasn't sold well. It really. Is a nice little console.

What should be the first games to pick up? I'm new to the Japanese RPG genre but always wanted to get into them. Which ones would be a good starter point?

Persona 4 Golden, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Tales of Hearts R, Ys: Memories of Celceta and the Atelier series would be a good start.

You don't have to get JRPGs although it's mainly that kinda handheld.
    I suppose Final Fantasy is a good place to start since its where most people start. Lots of PS1/PSP classics to play on it. I started on 4 and it's on PSP, rather it's in the store I couldn't say.
    Persona 4 Golden possible a bit much for a first JRPG but definitely worth picking up.

You don't have to get JRPGs although it's mainly that kinda handheld.
    I suppose Final Fantasy is a good place to start since its where most people start. Lots of PS1/PSP classics to play on it. I started on 4 and it's on PSP, rather it's in the store I couldn't say.
    Persona 4 Golden possible a bit much for a first JRPG but definitely worth picking up.

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. How is Valkryia revolution. YouTube footage looked really good for that.

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. How is Valkryia revolution. YouTube footage looked really good for that.

The footage might of looked good, but the game is very poor, I would avoid it, although it is a spinoff it is the worst entry in the series by far, if you have a PS4, pick up Valkyria Chronicles Remastered instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Vita is a wonderful home to done unique titles, but it's days are really done.
    The Sony games that work so well on the PS4 and PS3 before it only received a slender number of ports.
    A 3DS:XL on the other hand has a vast library of titles to suit most tastes, and more to come.
    I'm not a Pokémon fan either but there's just so much to play, plus it plays DS titles too.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Vita is a wonderful home to done unique titles, but it's days are really done.
    The Sony games that work so well on the PS4 and PS3 before it only received a slender number of ports.
    A 3DS:XL on the other hand has a vast library of titles to suit most tastes, and more to come.
    I'm not a Pokn fan either but there's just so much to play, plus it plays DS titles too.

Sorry, but saying the Vita days are done is laughable, the 3DS has been done and dusted with well received non remake RPG releases for the last 18 months and basically since the new Pokemon came out in last November.

Plenty of RPG's are still getting both Vita and PS4 releases, while western games like Salt and Sanctuary, Undertale and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero have got them as well.

The Vita has got in the last 18 months:

Tokyo Xanadu
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
    Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds
    A Rose in the Twilight
    Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
    Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
    Steins;Gate 0
    Root Letter
    World of Final Fantasy
    Yomawari: Night Alone
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
    Grand Kingdom

The 3DS has had :

Ever Oasis
    Story Of Seasons: Trio Of Towns
    Pokemon Sun/Moon
    Corpse Party

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not a Pokémon fan either but there's just so much to play, plus it plays DS titles too.

You couldn't be more wrong even if you tried, according too some people its been dead for years, yet its still releasing titles.

Is it worth subscribing to PlayStation Plus at this stage, if I only own a Vita?

Also picked up a second hand copy of PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal, but on. Back of box says there's a network code enclosed to unlock online features which I did not get with it. Does this mean I can't play the game online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Vita's release schedule has been a steady stream of impressive Japanese titles I'll grant you, but as a major handheld console in the west with games from the more mainstream it's been little or nothing.
    Yes, my own Vita and PS TV has been had the benefit of my PS+ account, and some of the indie games you mention, but otherwise it's gathered dust.
    It's not so different from the latter days of the PS3, where a lot of the same, previously Japan only, titles are getting an airing, which is great, I've bought some myself for the system.
    But there has been nothing of note to buy for my Vita since TxK quite some time ago.

And if you imagine that the 3DS has had only four releases in the past 18 months you're mistaken, there has been plenty, with plenty more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If you're not into JRPGs then there's nothing coming out that will really interest you tbh. It's a pity even the indies seem to have given up on the system as it was a great little machine for those. The remote play feature is pretty much the only reason my Vita is getting any use at this stage. Using it for the Witness at the moment which is pretty much the perfect game for it.

Advertisement