Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2018 Babies Club

• 01-09-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So,

Myself and the other half decided I should come off the pill, and try to have a baby.
    I've been on the pill over 10 years.
    so thought I'd have a hard time conceiving (doc agreed it could take a while)

Fast forward 6 weeks, and here i am now, with 4 pregnancy tests saying positive!

Very Very early days, but needed to talk to people!!

Shocked, worried, Happy, Nervous, Afraid, all of the feelings!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Registered poster here but going anonymous!
    Pregnant with our third, due very early May. I won't claim to be an expert, but ask away if you have any questions!

I'm the same, regular user! so under a different name!!

Least its not just myself!
    Got my scan date the other day, late october!

My main worry is leaving work! weird one eh!

And pooing during labout :(:( hahahha all ive read is horror stories!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you poo in labour you may not even find out! They won't tell you :) I was terrified that I'd poo and the midwife says to me "you're here to take home a baby, not the sheets! Don't be worrying!" Apparently pooping can be a good sign because it shows that labour is progressing as it should.

As Toots, said....it tends to happen as baby is descending so you have other things on your mind!Labour kind of takes over your entire body and mind, and you really cease to care what is going on around you, your whole being is focused on what's happening inside you.It's hard to explain because there's nothing like it.But it really isn't something too big to worry about.

Worrying few days here, am having some spotting and bleeding.Have spent a few hours in hospital emergency waiting rooms.It's started and stopped shortly after each time.It's happened on the last two, but I always assume the worse until I know otherwise.Appointment in the early pregnancy unit in a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed everything stays intact and the scan looks ok.Hate the waiting and wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Hey girls, thrilled to be joining the May thread.

I am due May 9th. This is my 4th pregnancy but I only have one child so far. I have lost two babies so can't really enjoy this pregnancy yet.
    Everyday I am convincing myself it is already over. Both of my losses were missed miscarriages, so no bleeding or cramping. Just no heartbeat at the scans.

I have my viability scan on the 19th and am terrified. I keep imagining different scenarios in my head.

One thing that has really made me nervous is that the GP test is still negative. It was negative at 4 weeks and again a week later at 5+1. Has anyone else experienced this? Can't help but fear it is a sign of hormone levels being low.

Had pregnancy confirmed by EPU at 4+0 by HCG bloods. They would not repeat text after 48 hours though as they said it was feeding into my anxiety. Alrighty then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Claire1987

Hi girls. I am in the same position as the original poster. We decided to come off the pill back in mid July. Was expecting it to take 3+ months to get my cycles sorted, but I'm over the moon to have had 5 positive tests, each day the line getting slightly darker, tomorrow is when my period is due, so just going to wait until next week to get a doctors appointment :D This will be both of our first baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yes.Please.

Hi everyone,

Due May 2018 and currently 4 weeks + 2 days. This is my first pregnancy and we had been trying for several months. Been reading endless posts on pregnancy and freaking myself out that something will go wrong. First doctors appointment tomorrow!
    Interested to follow this and see how everyone progresses 😊

Hi all

No idea where to ask my question so decided I'd stick it in here as my wife and myself have just found out she is pregnant and due our first baby in the middle of May! Very early days I know.

My question is in relation to symptoms. She has had a really bunged up nose the past few days, sneezing and runny. She has previously suffered with hay fever but not for a year or two. We checked with the pharmacy who advise she can't take decongestants or antihistamines now while pregnant.
    Any advice for symptom relief?

I am bleeding today so unfortunately it looks as though I am having a miscarriage. Hospital said there's no point going in as I am so early (5.5 weeks) but with my other two miscarriages I was scanned early. I assume I just wait a few days until I have neg test? Should they not at least make sure it's a miscarriage? I find it a bit weird although she did say they have no early pregnancy scanning facilities on the weekend.

Are you in Dublin Isolt?

I don't know, to be honest. As I said, I've had a bloody discharge (twice, TMI!) in the last few days and been in a couple of times. I don't care, the first time it happened I just went in. The EPU is only open mon-fri mornings and seems to be by referral only (that's my past experience anyway), but I go to the emergency room in the hospital. I just want to know that everything is where it should be, if that makes sense, and that there's nothing else going on. They do a quick scan in the emergency room. They then send me an appointment for the EPU, for about 2 weeks later. I know they said to me this week whether I miscarry at home or in there doesn't make a difference, they can't do much for me. I know it sounds cold, but in the context of the conversation, it wasn't, and I know it anyway.

If you are fairly sure you are miscarrying, I think maybe an appointment with your GP might be worth it? Just thinking of other miscarriages I know friends have had. At the very least your GP I'd say. For emotional support if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Isolt wrote: »
    I am bleeding today so unfortunately it looks as though I am having a miscarriage. Hospital said there's no point going in as I am so early (5.5 weeks) but with my other two miscarriages I was scanned early. I assume I just wait a few days until I have neg test? Should they not at least make sure it's a miscarriage? I find it a bit weird although she did say they have no early pregnancy scanning facilities on the weekend.

That's what I found the hardest with mine - it's a policy but goes against your instinct to try to do something, to try to stop the mc. It is awful.

From a hospital resources point of view I can see the logic, but from an emotional point of view I was upset and angry for a long time at the do-nothing policy they have. I've come to understand that an early mc is just a waiting game for everyone, medics can't stop it once it's started they can only wait and see as well. It's a wait to see if the bleeding stops. A wait to see if your tests stay positive. A wait and see if the blood HCG rises or falls. It doesn't make it any easier knowing that though :(

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's sh!t, really it is.

James003 I think she may be able to take paracetamol (check with pharmacist) otherwise a saline spray may help.There's nothing in those only salt and water.And maybe olbas oil at night??I had a dose with my second and it took ages to shift, doc said that was normal, it's slow to clear in pregnancy.

Neyite, I agree.....I got a shock with my first when I went in with a bleed and realised they could do nothing.I suppose I expected they could give me an answer at least as to whether things would go well or badly (thankfully they went well).I only really realised then how little control they have over nature at that stage, despite all the machines and scanners etc.It's such a hard thing to experience.The waiting is the worst.

I actually passed pretty much everything today in the bathroom. Had a scan a few hours later which verified that even the sac was gone. The only glimmer of hope in all of this is that now I have been referred to the miscarriage clinic

I am so sorry Isolt, I have no words.

Very sorry Isolt :-(. I hope they can help you and fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yes.Please.

James0003 wrote: »
    Hi all

No idea where to ask my question so decided I'd stick it in here as my wife and myself have just found out she is pregnant and due our first baby in the middle of May! Very early days I know.

My question is in relation to symptoms. She has had a really bunged up nose the past few days, sneezing and runny. She has previously suffered with hay fever but not for a year or two. We checked with the pharmacy who advise she can't take decongestants or antihistamines now while pregnant.

I'm currently going through the same. Just lemsip unfortunately!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

James0003 wrote: »
    Hi all

I found steaming to be the best thing - sit in the bathroom and run the shower as hot as it will go so the room fills with steam. If you have an over-bath shower then put a few drops of olbas oil in the bath beforehand so it mixes with the steam. There's also a product called NeilMed which is a saline sinus rinse (you get it over the counter in the chemist) and it's good for clearing out a blocked nose. Oh, and it goes without saying, invest in those nice balsam tissues so her skin doesn't get all raw from blowing her nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can't believe I'm posting here already but I got a positive test and have calculated I'm due mid to late May. I have a 9 month old baby and going back to work soon!!! Crazy and totally unplanned but it took over a year to conceive my daughter, and this time I had one period since I stopped breastfeeding and got pregnant, so it's the opposite

Aww congrats Beanybabog!!Delighted for you!There's 21 months between my two and (I won't dress it up!) it's hard as hell the first few months but now they are chatting and playing together and it's lovely. They are close enough that the same toys and games are of interest to each other (I have culled a LOT of toys as a result of this) and no.2 just wants to do everything no. 1 does.It's (mostly) very cute!

I realised the other day that if all goes ok and this baby comes as expected I will have 3 under the age of 4 for a few months.😱I hope we all survive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BELL135

Hi all, also just found out my partner and I are expecting.This will be our second we have a nearly 3 trail old. Due late May. I have done 5 test all positive but and a GP visit yesterdy showed a negative. He advised this may be because I'm soon early on amd their test are not as sensitive as clear blue that I took. I am to go back.in 10 days for another test with GP. Needless to say I came straight home and did another test which was positive! So frustrated

• Advertisement

So happy others are at the early stage too, not just myself!!

So sorry to hear about the loss Isolt :(

its the one thing i worry about too :(

Have you been to your GP yet 'preggersandbrickinit'? I have my appointment tomorrow.

In the other ladies experiences, when do you get the first scan? Im considering booking a private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Claire1987 wrote: »
    Have you been to your GP yet 'preggersandbrickinit'? I have my appointment tomorrow.

In the other ladies experiences, when do you get the first scan? Im considering booking a private one.

First scan is usually at 12 weeks approx at booking in appt at hospital.

Thank you spotty bananas!

My first scan is October 24th :)

Id love a private scan, but is there a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I need a dating scan so I'm going have one around 6-7 weeks. It'll be good reassurance too I think as I know someone who just found out they had at MC weeks earlier at the 12 week scan. Apparently your miscarriage rate is lower if you've already got a good heartbeat on a scan so it made me feel better last time

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

My first scan is October 24th :)

Id love a private scan, but is there a point?

Yes there is in my opinion. Such piece of mind. Two friends had silent mc and only found out at the 12 week scan. I couldn't wait that long to know. Very reassuring to know early. Also helps if you want to tell close family.

Ive just booked the early scan for Saturday morn (I will be almost 9 weeks on Sat)
    Id love it done sooner, but id prefer my other half with me if its bad news :(

Ive been reading up on Silent MC and its scaring me

My symptoms have subsided with only tiredness (which is normal for me !!!)

I am probably over reacting but its worth the reassurance.

Ill let you all know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Just found out I'm due the 25th May, aaahh! I think I'll go to the Coombe this time, looks like I can book in directly without a GP visit, anyone done the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

Hi everyone, first pregnancy and 5 weeks today. Been to GP and sent off letter for first appointment, going to the Rotunda. Does anyone know how we book the antenatal classes? All new to me!

Advertisement