Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ 6.1 News changes

• 26-10-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if there is another thread about this .

Dobbo and Sharon gone ,the new team is

Keelin Shanley and Catriona Perry.

Dobbo gone to Morning Ireland on radio and Sharon gone to the Nine o clock news in rotation with Eileen Dunne.

If you don’t like D4 accents don’t tune in between six and seven:D

D4 Central!!!

Who will be the new Washington corr.?

Catriona was very good in that role, and will be tough to follow.

The recent appointments seem to have come from below the A listers.

Richard Downes, Robert Shortt, Catriona,etc

Conor Brophy could be a dark horse, Gavin Jennings?

Should be interesting.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don’t know how Perry will fare behind the desk, perhaps they should have left Sharon there for 6 months with either of the 2 new presenters to allow them time to bed in

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Aengus MacGrianna leaving now he is taking voluntary redundancy so I guess there will be a few more changes coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭amovingstatue

Aengus MacGrianna leaving now he is taking voluntary redundancy so I guess there will be a few more changes coming.

30 years a leeching and now he’s decided he’s redundant. What amount will that payoff payment be I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

30 years a leeching and now he’s decided he’s redundant. What amount will that payoff payment be I wonder...

A lot you can be sure.

Now, here’s another one.

Looks like the senior dude on the 6.1 sits on the left hand seat from the viewers point of view.

Note Sharon on the left since Dobbo checked out.

Question is will Keelan or Catriona be on the left.:D

Interesting!!

Looks like the senior dude on the 6.1 sits on the left hand seat from the viewers point of view.

Note Sharon on the left since Dobbo checked out.

Question is will Keelan or Catriona be on the left.:D

Interesting!!

Its like the pilot & co-pilot seats on an airplane :D

Captain always sits on the left! (I think)

• Advertisement

Its like the pilot & co-pilot seats on an airplane :D

Captain always sits on the left! (I think)

Yes correct there, unless the co is ‘converting’ to the LHS.

Will be an interesting little vignette though.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

they should have left Sharon there for 6 months
    They couldn't. For PC reasons they wanted two women to front their flagship news slot. They couldn't dispose of Dobbo on his own as it would have been too obvious so Sharon had to be sacrificed as well.

As a bit of a side issue now is the system skewed towards the females now?

With Dobbo gone from the 6.1 and Eileen Dunne anchoring the 9oclock there is no male in evidence.

I hear Aonghus MacGriana is taking the ‘lump’ I can’t name one male TV news anchor out in Montrose.

WTF!!!!

As a bit of a side issue now is the system skewed towards the females now?

With Dobbo gone from the 6.1 and Eileen Dunne anchoring the 9oclock there is no male in evidence.

I hear Aonghus MacGriana is taking the ‘lump’ I can’t name one male TV news anchor out in Montrose.

WTF!!!!

What about Ray Kennedy, he's been doing the six one with Sharon the last week or 2, he seems decent enough.

What about Ray Kennedy, he's been doing the six one with Sharon the last week or 2, he seems decent enough.

He’s not a permanent anchor as far as I can guess, a filler inner .

As I see it there has been no major male or female ‘new face’ introduced into the news reading/ presenting staff up to Keelin and Cat.

When you evaluate it seems a lot of the top jobs on the current affairs TV circuit are women.

Auld Dee is making her mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Gerald Fleming announced his retirement from Met Eireann today.

After the Six-One paid tribute (appropriately accompanied by Crowded House), he got to do the forecast at the end - including one last wink, of course. :);)

2r54v8n.jpg

Another era well and truly over now...

Hmmmm no namer Brian O’Donovan gets Wash Cor. Job.

Never heard of the lad.��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Hmmmm no namer Brian O’Donovan gets Wash Cor. Job.

Never heard of the lad.��

Ex-TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I have dipped in a few times since the new team have started. I am assuming that they had loads of dry runs before they went live. I like Keelin Shanley but my god Catriona Perry is like a cardboard on live television. Would it kill her to smile and change some sort of facial expression? Always thought she was great in the US but this is not a good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I have dipped in a few times since the new team have started. I am assuming that they had loads of dry runs before they went live. I like Keelin Shanley but my god Catriona Perry is like a cardboard on live television. Would it kill her to smile and change some sort of facial expression? Always thought she was great in the US but this is not a good move.

I know this is pure nit-picking, but I dislike that bombastic opening. They've done it a few times now. It's too "Fox News" for me.

Same here, only watching the new team for the first time today.

Keelin seems to be fitting the role like a glove.

Catriona, maybe needs some time to get comfortable in the role, but it’s still early days, so I’d say give it a few months (and perhaps a few big news events) before casting any judgement.

me_irl wrote: »
    I know this is pure nit-picking, but I dislike that bombastic opening. They've done it a few times now. It's too "Fox News" for me.

Oh I missed the first 8 minutes!!

I guess I’ll be watching RTÉ +1 to see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

(and perhaps a few big news events) before casting any judgement.

She was at the young scientist thing in the RDS yesterday and looked like she was really uncomfortable with her surroundings. I'm not casting judgement, I am actually disappointed as I thought she did a great job when she was in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

I agree....There's something not quite right with it...

Same here, only watching the new team for the first time today.

Keelin seems to be fitting the role like a glove.

Catriona, maybe needs some time to get comfortable in the role, but it’s still early days, so I’d say give it a few months (and perhaps a few big news events) before casting any judgement.

Would agree with that assessment.

In fairness she has much more experience in that environment than Catriona.

Definitely the stronger of the two so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A couple of observations.

Keelin Shanley is good as I thought she would be as she has hosted live television shows in the past. Catriona Perry though looks like a lamb caught in the headlights and her delivery is not natural. Maybe this will change with time.

Keelin Shanley has her fault too. She starts sentences with "now". It's a small thing I will agree but it does annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Tonight was awful again,the faces CP was making with the story about the hen,and the goodbye at the end --she seemed like a student or something who was glad she made it through the first week on a placement role.It was fine for the last few weeks with the other 2 on it:(

hawkwing wrote: »
    Tonight was awful again,the faces CP was making with the story about the hen,and the goodbye at the end --she seemed like a student or something who was glad she made it through the first week on a placement role.It was fine for the last few weeks with the other 2 on it:(

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

Catriona Perry was doing some fabulous job in America.....Co hosting 6 one is doing her damage

gifted wrote: »
    Catriona Perry was doing some fabulous job in America.....Co hosting 6 one is doing her damage

Yes I would agree, so far, however I wouldn’t throw her under the bus just yet.

But improvement needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unlike Sky News,afraid to say "****hole"on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

As said, Keelan is easily the strongest of the two but neither of them have the anchor presence. I know people are saying give them time but I can’t ever see this working. I just don’t like Perry and my mind is not for changing.

Advertisement