Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C/D licence material

• 16-11-2017 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just wondering, have my C/D Theory Test booked in for this weekend. Just noticed there that questions have changed or there is new material for my test. I have been using the old CD from 2013 last time it was updated. Anything to worry about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

THere is now an 8th edition of the driver theory test available for study released in 2017

This is your best bet.

Are you doing Driver CPC?

Have you looked here?

http://www.theorytest.ie/revision-material/

Eason also stock all DTT revision materials.

THere is now an 8th edition of the driver theory test available for study released in 2017

This is your best bet.

Are you doing Driver CPC?

No just doing the C/D theory, might look at CPC but don't think I will be using professionally for a while.

I have got the books, but my test is tomorrow, wasn't aware it was changing this month. I am just wondering should I expect a massive difference in questions, between what I have studied from 2013 to the new version.

If they are changing it like that they should really ask people what test version they would like to sit up to a certain point.

TallGlass wrote: »
    No just doing the C/D theory, might look at CPC but don't think I will be using professionally for a while.

I have got the books, but my test is tomorrow, wasn't aware it was changing this month. I am just wondering should I expect a massive difference in questions, between what I have studied from 2013 to the new version.

If they are changing it like that they should really ask people what test version they would like to sit up to a certain point.

There are new questions in the theory test now regarding drink drinking which you wouldn't have access to on the material you are using.

You may as well do it and have it rather than leaving it and coming back to it.

There's a new version roughly every 2 years, is it edition 6 you are studying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Somebody put up the 6th edition online in interactive quiz form. Something like 700 questions. It's what I used to study. It was brilliant. It's on Quizglobal. A quick Google should have you sorted.

Urindanger wrote: »
    Somebody put up the 6th edition online in interactive quiz form. Something like 700 questions. It's what I used to study. It was brilliant. It's on Quizglobal. A quick Google should have you sorted.

Given the D.T.T have now issued edition 8, i wouldn't put my faith in edition 6 due to new questions that have been added since then, also, i have never heard of QuizGlobal.

Is that site trustworthy?

Didn't get any questions that seemed any different. But if your starting out I would get the new edition.

Passed anyway.

Anyone know do I need to get a medical report for getting my C learner permit?

Didn't get any questions that seemed any different. But if your starting out I would get the new edition.

Passed anyway.

Anyone know do I need to get a medical report for getting my C learner permit?

Yes you need a medical report for the learner permit.

It will be for 5 years.

Were you in the exam room long?

Yes you need a medical report for the learner permit.

It will be for 5 years.

Were you in the exam room long?

About 20 mins. I thought I made a bags of it with the speeds. It must have asked me 10/12 questions in a row on speeds of busses on various roads.

Stupid question but best place to get a medical? How much is the going rate on that.

• Advertisement

About 20 mins. I thought I made a bags of it with the speeds. It must have asked me 10/12 questions in a row on speeds of busses on various roads.

Stupid question but best place to get a medical? How much is the going rate on that.

20 minutes is good.

Speeds for buses such as:

Max speed on motorway 100km/h
    Dual carriageway 90km/h etc etc?

Your own GP does the medical.

It costs an average of €50 but my GP usually waives the fee.

Here is the form:

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/155076_NDLS_Med_Rep_V9_Online_FA_BD_PDFX.pdf

20 minutes is good.

Speeds for buses such as:

Max speed on motorway 100km/h
    Dual carriageway 90km/h etc etc?

Your own GP does the medical.

It costs an average of €50 but my GP usually waives the fee.

Here is the form:

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/155076_NDLS_Med_Rep_V9_Online_FA_BD_PDFX.pdf

Yeah, National Primary, Motorway, Dual and local. Same with trucks. Then alot on, two, three, six axle, conventional and air suspension MAM, usual. I did study the stuff you mentioned about the latest road report regards drink driving. I got a total of 133/140 questions correct as my mark in the end.

Will check out the GP, might mention the licence is for volunteering see if they will wave the fee.

Had all those questions for the Truck and bus when i did the theory tests.

Did you get drink driving questions?

It's 140 questions now :eek:

Things have changed since my last theory test in 2012.

I found that if you have a good relationship with the GP usually won't hesitate, i've had mine since birth so that was a bonus.

If it's for volunteering, you may be exempt from both CPC and digital tachographs

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Getting-your-CPC/

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Professional%20Drivers/Exemptions%20and%20derogations%20from%20the%20EU%20Tachograph%20and%20driver.pdf

Had all those questions for the Truck and bus when i did the theory tests.

Did you get drink driving questions?

It's 140 questions now :eek:

Things have changed since my last theory test in 2012.

I found that if you have a good relationship with the GP usually won't hesitate, i've had mine since birth so that was a bonus.

If it's for volunteering, you may be exempt from both CPC and digital tachographs

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driver-Hours/Getting-your-CPC/

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Professional%20Drivers/Exemptions%20and%20derogations%20from%20the%20EU%20Tachograph%20and%20driver.pdf

Yeah truck and bus is 140 questions now, with a pass mark 104 and above fairly big test you've I think 2hr 30mins to answer all.

I'll check with the GP or just give them the 50€

CPC is interesting.

Yeah truck and bus is 140 questions now, with a pass mark 104 and above fairly big test you've I think 2hr 30mins to answer all.

I'll check with the GP or just give them the 50€

CPC is interesting.

When the theory test first came out category C & D were as one.

40 questions and a pass mark of 35.

By the time i got around to it they were seperate though.

What is the cost of it these days?

The pass mark is giving people plenty of room really.

The time permitted is staggering, only for CPC theory tests have i seen that length of time, for all others it was 45 minutes.

CPC is interesting in relation to the exemptions Vs the line of volunteering you are involved in?

Think it was around 85/90€. Going for the C licence just a handy thing to have for some organisations. Have the A/B already, if I get the C might look at doing the D. So they licence is renewed every 5 years is it? Does the A/B get topped up when you renew the C/D..

How hard was your test in the C? I remember you saying it got rescheduled.

Think it was around 85/90€. Going for the C licence just a handy thing to have for some organisations. Have the A/B already, if I get the C might look at doing the D. So they licence is renewed every 5 years is it? Does the A/B get topped up when you renew the C/D..

How hard was your test in the C? I remember you saying it got rescheduled.

Jesus the prices went mad :eek:

The C licence is very handy to have, in my own industry of doing it day in day out the artic is desired more than the rigid.

Might do a PM exchange down the line about the A licence, it's the only only i don't have.

The A,B,BE,W licence's are for 10 years while the rest are for 5 years.

Having them all is the best thing.

Don't ever go for the C1 or D1, always the higher category as you get both.

My own C test was in 2012, it was fine, i was out over 1 hour and had the CPC after it, i can't say i found it hard, i just studied religiously and practiced just as hard.

I had 10 x 2 hour lessons and a 1 hour pre test on the day itself.

The difference between you now and me then is you will be using a split gearbox, almost certainly a 4/4 (4 over 4) whereas i just had a standard 6 speed gearbox like you would have in a car.

When you see me talking about 4/4 don't worry, it isn't that hard.

In all rigid's i have driven bar MAN trucks which i had to move off in 2nd, i am able to take off in 3rd gear.

It goes from 3-4 up with the switch then 5-6-7-8

The switch is flicked up going from 4-5 and flicked down going from 5-4 or at least that's how it should be done :pac:

The other trucks i have driven,artics, are 3/3.

move off in 3rd,up with the switch then into 4-5-6 and when coming back down 6-5-4 switch down and into 3rd.

On the side there is also another switch which halves the gear for you, all you do here is flick the switch, press the clutch in and out but don't move the gear stick, a green light will come on the dash to show you are in the half gear, when you flick the switch back and press the clutch again the light will go off meaning you are in a full gear once again.

Don't let the above confuse you or don't over analyse it, you'll be fine :D

Well, I suppose that's a bit mental. Then again, if you explain to someone how you change gear on a motorcycle it might seem fairly technical. Then again there's a name for the type of gearbox, think it's a fixed as you have to go into the gear even if you don't want to use it. Like if you want 4/5 you go 1/2/3/4/5 but in a car you could go 1/2/5 if you wanted.

Plan to start the lessons in Jan. How you find them, is there much difference between the car and truck or just the size, I would be fairly decent at anticipation since driving the bike as you need to be constantly having that safety space, assume its the same in a truck due to the size/weight of it.

Plan to start the lessons in Jan. How you find them, is there much difference between the car and truck or just the size, I would be fairly decent at anticipation since driving the bike as you need to be constantly having that safety space, assume its the same in a truck due to the size/weight of it.

You need to take a wider longer angle when turning corners, also as the brakes are on air you will initially find that very different.

Anticipation is a good bit of it when starting out.

There are many blind spots in a truck.

This RSA video will give you some idea.

For the record, i drive a truck identical to this.

I know with bikes, life savers are a big one.

Have you decided on a school of motoring to do your lessons with?

Which part of the country are you in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXgFnojE--k

Going to do them with the ISM. It's right next to the test centre I want to use and used them when doing the bike, they give you a pretest before so that always nice to warm up before the exam.

• Advertisement

Going to do them with the ISM. It's right next to the test centre I want to use and used them when doing the bike, they give you a pretest before so that always nice to warm up before the exam.

They can also get you work if you ever decide to go driving for a living through their own recruitment office.

I've dealt with Eoghan Kennedy a few times, seem like sound people.

They can also get you work if you ever decide to go driving for a living through their own recruitment office.

I've dealt with Eoghan Kennedy a few times, seem like sound people.

Looking there Colliers driving school do the lessons also and are significantly cheaper than ISM. Any experience with them guys? 2 hour lesson for 100€ vs 140€, rental is cheaper with ISM at 190€ vs 210€ with Colliers.

Looking there Colliers driving school do the lessons also and are significantly cheaper than ISM. Any experience with them guys? 2 hour lesson for 100€ vs 140€, rental is cheaper with ISM at 190€ vs 210€ with Colliers.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055140227

Historic thread there on them, it may help you decide though.

The only 2 I have heard of in Dublin are ISM and Airport school of motoring.

https://airportdrivingschool.com/

I’ve heard all sorts about Airport school of motoring from fellow truckers but I have no direct experience.

They are also Dublin 11 based.

https://airportdrivingschool.com/

I’ve heard all sorts about Airport school of motoring from fellow truckers but I have no direct experience.

They are also Dublin 11 based.

Ah wouldn't go with ASM, remember them ringing me up before saying they would hire me, just had to do a driving assessment with them for some amount of money but no job at the end of it. Not a chance would I get myself lessons from them just for operating like that.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055140227

Historic thread there on them, it may help you decide though.

Not much in that, reviews online seem decent. In fairness, I might just get the one lesson with them and if the gut isn't happy then I will go elsewhere.

With the A/B behind me, I know when someone is talking bollix! But I like the idea of someone straight talking, I done the A licence with a guy and his approach I don't think would be for anyone easily offended. He would give you a bollixing if you messed up and rightly so.

Ah wouldn't go with ASM, remember them ringing me up before saying they would hire me, just had to do a driving assessment with them for some amount of money but no job at the end of it. Not a chance would I get myself lessons from them just for operating like that.
    Didn't realise they were like that, although i did hear some alleged negativity about them.
    Not much in that, reviews online seem decent. In fairness, I might just get the one lesson with them and if the gut isn't happy then I will go elsewhere.
    1 Lesson with ISM?
    With the A/B behind me, I know when someone is talking bollix! But I like the idea of someone straight talking, I done the A licence with a guy and his approach I don't think would be for anyone easily offended. He would give you a bollixing if you messed up and rightly so.
    I like honesty in people, especially in this area.

With Colliers might do one with them see how it is. Can't wait to get started, but don't want to rush it so think will try have everything ready to go for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

With Colliers might do one with them see how it is. Can't wait to get started, but don't want to rush it so think will try have everything ready to go for January.

I did mine with Swilly.... they were charging €65 per hour, or 8 hours plus hire of the truck for €600.
    Instructors are a dream, the fella in the office is a bit haphazard though 😀

• Advertisement

Take your time with it, Rome wasn't built in a day. From rigid to Artic took me 3 years for example.
    I did mine with Swilly.... they were charging €65 per hour, or 8 hours plus hire of the truck for €600.
    Instructors are a dream, the fella in the office is a bit haphazard though ��

That seems like a good price.

Was that a package deal paid for upfront?

Advertisement