Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

• 09-12-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No thread for this? I know it has mostly been a handheld and Nintendo game but the series doesn't seem to be too popular on boards.ie. Even still I thought there'd be a lot more interest in it seeing as it's being released on PS4, XBOX One and PC in January.

It looks great and I can see it being a contender for game of the year next year, plus the beta goes live today on the PS4 if anyone wants to give it a try, you'll need PS Plus to play the beta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Never played a Monster Hunter game and always wanted to, but they had been on the wrong console everytime. No doubt gonna get this on PC for sure

Downloading the beta now. Been curious about this since it was shown at e3 as I never got the chance to play the Nintendo titles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can't find the beta on PSN?

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Can't find the beta on PSN?

Store / whats hot / scroll right to preorders and it's there

Just played my first hunt there. It's a great concept, I just need to figure out what to do with all the items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

man im dying to play this, il just sit here and wait for it on pc Q_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'd missed all the other games as well but always liked the looks of them. Projared on youtubes enthusiasm for them is infectious.

So I played the beginner level earlier. Was very easy so looking forward to seeing the challenge in the two more difficult modes. Didn't have time to try earlier unfortunately.

I tried joining the online multiplayer and couldn't get into matchmaking, kept getting an error. It's the sort of game they'd need to get that right with come launch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not too familiar with the monster hunter games, are they multiplayer only?

Not too familiar with the monster hunter games, are they multiplayer only?

From my brief play of it and research before you can play solo and there is also matchmaking functionality. To me it seems like a game perfectly suited to multiplayer. Take down a big **** off enemy with mates.

I'm currently getting into an online game here. Seems to have found a few players but taking a while to start. Fingers crossed it works.

Edit... So yeah in with a few randomers there and it all worked grand. Honestly not sure what in doing other than hack and slash and we defeated the intermediate boss but I can see it being deep overall. No idea what all the stuff does yet. Good fun though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

From my brief play of it and research before you can play solo and there is also matchmaking functionality. To me it seems like a game perfectly suited to multiplayer. Take down a big **** off enemy with mates.

I'm currently getting into an online game here. Seems to have found a few players but taking a while to start. Fingers crossed it works.

Is it just Evolve but with an AI monster? (and actually good)

• Advertisement

No, there's a good bit more depth to this I think.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it just Evolve but with an AI monster? (and actually good)

I didn't play evolve but from watching reviews etc of previous instalments of MH I'd say it's pretty deep. Has a huge (maybe slightly cult) following.

• Played the first hunt earlier. Not familiar with the games either but on paper they tick a few boxes for me. The combat in this didn't feel good at all even the lock on was a bit crazy as to what it chose to target.

And I hate radial menus for item select.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Played the first hunt earlier. Not familiar with the games either but on paper they tick a few boxes for me. The combat in this didn't feel good at all even the lock on was a bit crazy as to what it chose to target.

And I hate radial menus for item select.

Combat is one of my favourite parts of the monster hunter series, similar to dark souls in that you can't just hack n' slash, you need to wait for the opportune moment to strike. Try some of the other weapons, all 14 types are very different so maybe the one you were using wasn't suited to you. Sword and shield is probably the best for newcomers. You don't have to use the radial menu, use sqaure to use your chosen item and cycle through them by holding L1 and pressing square or O.

The monster hunter games are quite deep, nothing like evolve really. It's only the beta so you'll only really see the combat aspects and not the story or item/material collection from the map and monsters that are needed to upgrade your equipment (big part of the game).

• Yeah there was quite a good selection of gear from what I saw, I just went with what I thought would suit me from Dark Souls and others. I think the fact I played on easy was a mistake the beast had way too much health and did practically no hurt to me at all which didn't make for an exciting fight

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Combat is one of my favourite parts of the monster hunter series, similar to dark souls in that you can't just hack n' slash, you need to wait for the opportune moment to strike. Try some of the other weapons, all 14 types are very different so maybe the one you were using wasn't suited to you. Sword and shield is probably the best for newcomers. You don't have to use the radial menu, use sqaure to use your chosen item and cycle through them by holding L1 and pressing square or O.

The monster hunter games are quite deep, nothing like evolve really. It's only the beta so you'll only really see the combat aspects and not the story or item/material collection from the map and monsters that are needed to upgrade your equipment (big part of the game).

I love MH games and I have sank a lot of time on MH4. Though what I always found that demos do very very bad job to show off what game is really about.
    It just shows a bit of combat with preset gear, where in reality it is a lootwhores wildest dream. You go for those hunts to get materials for armour set you really want. You realise that you need specific parts that drop if you damage particular part of the monster, like horns or cutting off tail, clipping wings. So different weapons are better for specific body parts.
    On top of that fighting new monster always exciting and scary as you dont know what to expect. Then when you finally manage to beat it, you run to your smyth to see what gear you can craft out of the new monster ball sack and tongue!
    It was never a game for everyone as biggest complain everyone had was - grinding. Tp me it was best part of the game as I loved working on new set, new weapon, experimenting with gear and gems to make some cool skill combos.

I love the series, but MH generations did not really got my love. New fighting styles looked cool on paper and they are, but you realise how easy it is to cheese it, specially with aerial styles.

I am disappointed a bit that is out on consoles as I was so excited about swtich and its extra power. It was always one thing that I wanted for franchise. I did not really wanted it on home console and now switch is not even getting it. :(

Then when you finally manage to beat it, you run to your smyth to see what gear you can craft out of the new monster ball sack and tongue!

Nice. So its sounds like its heavy on loot and character progression, so it would appeal to Diablo players and MMO Raiders?

I heard the PC version doesn't even have a release date yet :eek: How does it run on PS4/Pro? 60 FPS at 1080p?

Nice. So its sounds like its heavy on loot and character progression, so it would appeal to Diablo players and MMO Raiders?

I heard the PC version doesn't even have a release date yet :eek: How does it run on PS4/Pro? 60 FPS at 1080p?

Emmm, kind of yes and kind of no.

Diablo is a mass slaughter and stat bposting for faster mass slaughter. In MH games you are more about killing that one single monster. Boss fight simulator with surprises.
    Gear is not generally better stat boosting. In MH there were 3 tiers of gear, but all gear had different skills that improve your hunter. You can make normal rathalos set and it will have one set of skills, then hr rathalos set will have better defence boosts, gem slots and more/better or completely different skills. Then you wpuld get g rank gear etc.
    Thing is, as many monsters there are, there are as many different sets. Even more die to hybrids and unique ones.

In nut shell, if you are horder, like a good challange and grind that actually does give you pride and accomplishment, then MH is epic.

Okay, I finally gave this a wee go just now. Amd I have to say - I am loving it!!!

Combat is definitely improved a lot. Really feels like you bashing a monster and it reacts to hits. I am not even talking about actual scaring and parts of scales falling off. It just feels so damn good.
    I did only two hunts, but it looks like they went back to MH4 roots and got wrid of the styles used in mhx. Which is fantastic.

Gear looks like a lot more simplified though. Part of the charm was making all those crazy mix and match sets. Now it looks like one outfit and thats it.

Performance is a bit so so on my phat ps4. It looks great, but I am not sure if fps is solid. Wondering if its a style of movent or actual fps drops.

All in all I am loving it and its going to be day one purchase for me. Now I just need to get xbox one x.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

There's a second beta running at the minute for any that want to give it another go, you don't need PS plus this time either. Finishes on the 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I had a little go yesterday. I'm not sure its for me even though I was very excited to get the beta. Its not you monster hunter its me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is getting a Autumn PC release as well.

Xenji wrote: »

Autumn?!?! Urge to buy a Pro has increased ten-fold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Autumn?!?! Urge to buy a Pro has increased ten-fold

I would expect delays as well.

Actually, to anyone who has played it on the Pro during the beta tests, how does it run? I assume 1080p at 60FPS? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Autumn....well my interest in this is now gone.

Xenji wrote: »

I read last post first and when someone said Autumn release, I panicked. Theu camt delay that!!!!

Then sow its for pc. Meh, then I just got Xbox one x and thats where I will be playing it.
    At the same time, I dont know how cpuld you play mh games with mouse and keyboard. Its like dark souls, you need a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MHW just scored a near-perfect 39/40 in Famitsu!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So is this game gonna be single player? or heavy multiplayer?

Much of a story? or just hunting monsters and grinding gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Multilayer is where it's at for MH, historically. It's all about grinding for gear with friends, improving yourself so you can reach the end-game.

Advertisement