Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well I'll say it's got a unique art style. It is very comic booky. Seems very janky in parts like a Wes Anderson animation. And there were times where I felt I should've been wearing red & blue/green 3D Glasses.

I'm interested in it but don't think I'd see it in the cinema. Looks like it's set in the Ultimate universe. At least at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

New trailer's confusing me a bit.

The peter in the dinner looks older than the one in the train, are they different and is this Gwen the from the same as she seems experienced. The Spider verse might just be there to differentiate from the MCU version of spider-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Varik wrote: »
    New trailer's confusing me a bit.

The peter in the dinner looks older than the one in the train, are they different and is this Gwen the from the same as she seems experienced. The Spider verse might just be there to differentiate from the MCU version of spider-man.

Miles was originally from the Ultimate universe where
    Peter Parker was killed by Goblin
    which seems to have have happened here too. The older Peter is from a different universe the same as Gwen. A few years ago Marvel introduced the Spider-Verse in the comics where there were different incarnations of Spider Man in each universe e.g Spider-Gwen , Spider-Ham, Spiderman Noir

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trailer looks great, though i also thought i was missing some old school 3d glasses at the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's quite the striking art-style, I really like it, particularly the slightly janky movement of the characters - almost stop-motion esque.

Nick Miller as Spider-Man though? Hmmm, this better not delay the latest Pepperwood novel...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer popped up, more plot-focused. Props to the Sony Animation department for the striking aesthetic (though the juddery animation might get a bit headache inducing):

As I posted elsewhere:

I noticed with the previous trailer as well, but the animation seems very janky. And seems to be a cross between Isle of Dogs style stop motion and Telltale games with maybe a bit of the MTV Spider-Man thrown in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched Graces review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbO3Zj2XSh8
    Giving it top rating. Saying she overheard people saying:
    Best Spider-Man movie ever

Had to go check elsewhere..
    33 reviews, 6 lists as top critics with score of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spider_man_into_the_spider_verse/

This Stan Lee cameo better be great!

I saw One headline which vaguely hinted a tiny bit of story at me... so I guess I recommend looking up too much before seeing it or hearing other reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I really enjoyed the trailer and the post-credit bit was probably the best bit of Venom! Love the aesthetic. Definitely one I'm looking forward to and glad to see that the early buzz is positive.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I am SO looking forward to this. Was never a Spiderman fan initially but this just looks like so much fun and that animation style? Beautiful.

Is the animation in the final movie as jerky? It feels like it's going for a stop motion feel but stop motion is usually more smooth.

In this day and age where lots of people complain about frame rates in computer games that I can't see an issue with, I'm surprised at so many positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

There doesn't seem to be any 3D listings for Limerick, or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Caught it with the kids, it's great, really good voice acting, Jake Johnson nails his part.

Animation is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Saw this last night;
    Very impressed, animation is really well done, and a super nice story!
    If Sony build a spider universe around animation/miles they could be on to a winner here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Saw this last night;
    Very impressed, animation is really well done, and a super nice story!
    If Sony build a spider universe around animation/miles they could be on to a winner here!

Yeah saw it today, needs to be seen in 3d to really get the most out of the animation. The end credit scene looks to set up another film. I did hear that there are plans to do an all female cast spinoff. The comics have established the spider verse in the last few years so there are plenty of different type of spider people available to use in a spinoff or sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw it over weekend and thought it was great. Entertaining and funny, looks amazing, and really good characters and performances. The Spider-Verse setting really gives them freedom to branch out from here.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Best Spiderman movie hands down, and best post credits scene hands down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A surprising delight that provides further evidence - along with the likes of The Incredibles - that animation is very possibly the best medium for many superheroes.

I've long been frustrated by the MCU's lack of style or identity - some of them push a bit harder than others, this is true, but there's a sort of series-wide blandness more often than not. Spider-Verse is the long-awaited counterpunch to that approach - a film overflowing with visual wit and identity. Whether it's through the bursts of comic book stylisation as punctuation mark, a dialogue scene with gravity defying camera and characters, or a finale which is a joyous explosion of outrageously vivid colour... Spider-Verse is always excited to push some new flourish to the surface, even if only for a split-second. Not only is this unusual for the super-hero genre, it's also extremely unusual for American mainstream animation. This is the closest anything from Hollywood in recent memory anything has gotten to the more stylised material you often find in Japanese animation. That there's a prominent anime-style character here is surely not coincidence. Indeed, it tries so many things that should conflict with each other - you have multiple different animation styles in the very same shot - that it's miraculous everything is so coherent. Even the background art - illustrated in a fetching soft focus that emulates the look of old-school 3D - is drawn with impressive confidence and purpose.

As a spectacle, it's second-to-none - the best big-screen effort in many years, maybe even ever, to boast the Marvel logo. It's not even close as far as I'm concerned. For the most part, the writing keeps it ticking along nicely - the Lord/Miller touch is obvious, but thankfully (especially given some of the early jokes explicitly nudging at the audience) it largely avoids dropping down the meta, wink-wink hole their work often does. Those jokes are there, but they don't get in the way - which is a relief when there's literally a bunch of fan callbacks casually conversing with each other on screen. Generally, though, it's all good, multi-dimensional fun with some of the best realisations of iconic characters (Aunt May in particular).

Now, it's worth bearing in mind this is still a film based on a Marvel comic - as is often the case with their work, there's no great insights to be found here beyond a relatively straightforward coming-of-age story. While few comic adaptations have so liberally dipped into the more obscure pages of series history, this isn't for example the sort of probing character or even genre study something like The Dark Knight films offered up. But taken on its own terms, Spider-Verse is the long-overdue antidote to superhero fatigue - truly a comic book come to life. Witty, entertaining and consistently inventive - Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse may have been designed as a standalone spin-off, but it's easily the new king of the extended Marvel universe.

Also?
    Nicholas Cage - best Spider-Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can people who've seen this advise if it would be suitable for a 6 year old to see? Have heard it has a few darker moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed this and grinning through out. The animation is truly gorgeous but I don't think it's perfect. I know it's a new Spider-Man but the whole learning how to use his powers has been done to death with Spider-Man now and I found that angle tiring. I also would have liked more from the other Spider-Men, they weren't really developed as characters which I thought was a shame. All that said, I loved it and would definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Absolutely brilliant. Easily my favourite Spider-Man movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I am a Spider-Man snob. He was my absolute favourite character back in the mid 80's and throughout time since. I've read nearly every arch, special and story.

As a child, and even now, if given the choice of super-power I will always choose Spider-Man for the web-slinging alone.

I went into Spider-Verse with average expectations with my two children, a daughter with a casual interest in Marvel movies and a son very biased towards Iron Man and Thor.

We left this movie absolutely blown away. The story is engaging and emotive (even the predictable moments), it's funny and smart. The sound-track is spectacular.

But, the animation is out of this world. It's astoundingly amazing, I have truly never seen anything like that in all my years. The subtle animation differences make each character stand out, without being jarring and off-putting.

Absolutely, hands down the best Spider-Man movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Agree with the above, Spider-Man along with blade are the only marvel characters I like and this movie was the best I have seen. Definitely would recommend to anyone to see it

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Saw this in 3D Friday night and absolutely loved it. It's funny, exciting and some nice dramatic moments. I thought the animation was a bit iffy when I saw the trailer, it looked too jerky and found it off-putting, but I was stunned throughout once it began. As much as there are the few films in the MCU that I've enjoyed enough to watch more than once, and I mean very few, this absolutely beats them to a pulp.
    Before it was midway through I was already wanting to see this film again. Like when you put on an album, and already can't wait to go back and listen from the first song over again, but the rest of the album just won't let you go. That is what this film did for me. An unreal contender for one of 2018's best films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Would a 3 year old like this? Thought I could kill two birds with one stone, want to see it myself, and bring my daughter to an animated film

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw this in 3D Friday night and absolutely loved it. It's funny, exciting and some nice dramatic moments. I thought the animation was a bit iffy when I saw the trailer, it looked too jerky and found it off-putting, but I was stunned throughout once it began. As much as there are the few films in the MCU that I've enjoyed enough to watch more than once, and I mean very few, this absolutely beats them to a pulp.
    Before it was midway through I was already wanting to see this film again. Like when you put on an album, and already can't wait to go back and listen from the first song over again, but the rest of the album just won't let you go. That is what this film did for me. An unreal contender for one of 2018's best films.
    Whats with that? All the trailers look like an underpowered pc is struggling to run it, jerking like mad...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats with that? All the trailers look like an underpowered pc is struggling to run it, jerking like mad...

Couple of likely reasons which are a mix of the stylistic and practical. Given the amount of animation styles deployed throughout, it may have made most sense to stick with stylised movement to help anything gel together. Anime and classic cartoons often run at lower frame rates, so could be an effort to embrace that spirit. Also potentially less resource intensive - more frames of movement mean more processing power, which means more time, which means more money.

Whatever the mix of reasons, what’s important is that it looks pretty ****ing great in action with a properly unique, dynamic feel that’s very uncommon in mainstream CG animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like the halftone they used in it.

Advertisement