Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2018 Babies club

• 27-01-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Got a BFP today. Still in a huge amount of shock. Wasn't expecting to get pregnant this month as I only had my lap for endometriosis a few weeks ago.

Due 10th October 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

lunamoon wrote: »
    Got a BFP today. Still in a huge amount of shock. Wasn't expecting to get pregnant this month as I only had my lap for endometriosis a few weeks ago.

Due 10th October 2018

Congrats! I got pregnant the month after I had a lap as well. Apparently you are more likely to get pregnant in the first 6 months after the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Also due in October! Got BFP last week. It’s my first so very excited and anxious at same time x

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Every little cramp/pain I feel I'm like OMG IS EVERYTHING OK.

I think I've done about 10 tests to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I'll be joining this thread too! Number two for me, had my first in Feb 2017 so it will be two under two for me!

I went to the doc to confirm and her first test was negative and the second was so faint that she wouldn't class it as positive. She's sending me for blood tests. I'm so confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

lunamoon wrote: »
    I went to the doc to confirm and her first test was negative and the second was so faint that she wouldn't class it as positive. She's sending me for blood tests. I'm so confused.

But you’re still getting positives at home? Did you get one today? Are you using a more sensitive test than the GP, like a First Response?

Afaik, there’s no such thing as a false positive. If the GP got a positive then it’s a positive, even if it is faint. More likely that the HCG levels are still quite low as it’s early days, and that the tests you’ve been using are more sensitive to lower amounts of HCG.

How many days post ovulation do you think you are?

I’m 13dpo. My period was suppose to start tomorrow.

I got a positive with the same sample with a First Response. Got another positive this evening with a clear blue digital.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Believe it or not, the home tests are a lot more sensitive than the ones they have in the doc. On both my pregnancies my GP didn't even bother to test my urine, he said if I'd gotten a BFP on a home test then that was good enough for him, and their tests are weaker, so he doesn't like worrying mums with a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's probably a bit early to go to the doctor to confirm it, leave it another week or two until tests hopefully get darker/more positive. There's no need to go so early anyway so you're not going to miss out on anything, I've never gone before 7 weeks.

Thanks for the reassurance ladies.

My GP clinic is tough to get an appointment with. When I rang this morning I didn’t think I’d get an appointment the same day. Was just so excited.

They took blood today anyway and are taking more on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Tentatively joining this thread. Had three BFPs today so looks like I’m in! My cycles are irregular as I’m still breastfeeding baba number one, but I think I’m due around October 18th.

Delighted!

Didn’t fall asleep until around 5 this morning, as my mind is in overdrive about this pregnancy.

Then the baby woke at 6 for the day. I am in a permanent state of exhaustion since motherhood began, but today is particularly challenging! Thankfully I’m off work today.

Have people started thinking about registering their pregnancies with a hospital yet? I’m going to go back to Holles St as a public patient, but I’m going to try to get on the Domino scheme this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

Congratulations Catrionanic and greenttc! 😄 ( and everyone else).

Would love to do domino scheme caitriona but can't cause I am high risk due to previous health complications.you are dead right to go for that, would be so much easier!!!

Because of those complications I have registered with holles Street since the day I found out and have an appointment in two weeks!!! Think there will be a scan and all, very nervous waiting for that scan have heard of too many miscarriage stories that are a bit close to home since having the wee man so I am just petrified the same could happen to me!

greenttc wrote: »
    Would love to do domino scheme caitriona but can't cause I am high risk due to previous health complications.you are dead right to go for that, would be so much easier!!!

Because of those complications I have registered with holles Street since the day I found out and have an appointment in two weeks!!! Think there will be a scan and all, very nervous waiting for that scan have heard of too many miscarriage stories that are a bit close to home since having the wee man so I am just petrified the same could happen to me!

Ah yes, it’s a worry alright but I’m sure you will be fine - positive thoughts! Although I think everybody worries about MC in the early weeks until they hear a heartbeat. Hopefully the scan will reassure you. Will you be around six weeks then?

My only worry about the Domino scheme is not getting an epidural!!!!!

I feel like such an idiot but can someone explain the Domino scheme to me, please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't think the Domino scheme prevents you from getting an epidural?I'm sure I know women on it who have had one.
    Surely once you go in in labour, it's the delivery room midwives looking after you anyway.

shesty wrote: »
    I don't think the Domino scheme prevents you from getting an epidural?I'm sure I know women on it who have had one.
    Surely once you go in in labour, it's the delivery room midwives looking after you anyway.

It isn’t, actually. You see the Domino midwives and you’re in a different type of room - one of those rooms more geared towards staying active in labour and more hippy dippy style

I know from others that you can still get an epi if you really want one though... you just have to keep quiet about it because I’ve just rang to register and one of the first questions they asked me was whether I wanted a natural, drug-free labour!

Domino scheme is a midwife led care while you are pregnant and you don't really see consultants or doctors, it is usually done out in the community I think so you don't need to go near the hospital. I think there can be less scans but it would mean far less waiting and traipsing in and out of town etc.

Don't think it means no epidural caitriona, sure you just go into hospital for the birth and that won't be any different to last time, defo don't let that put you off domino scheme!!

Yeah I will be just over 6 weeks when they do it, had it last time too so know what to expect, just need to hear that heartbeat and know the baba is growing away as they should be! I'm an awful worry wort when it comes to all this!!!

It isn’t, actually. You see the Domino midwives and you’re in a different type of room - one of those rooms more geared towards staying active in labour and more hippy dippy style

I know from others that you can still get an epi if you really want one though... you just have to keep quiet about it because I’ve just rang to register and one of the first questions they asked me was whether I wanted a natural, drug-free labour!

Oh really????? Wow didn't know that, thought they would freely offer everything the same as normal patients. Having all the extra bits for staying active would be amazing though! Didn't think holles Street had that though, they didn't show it to us as part of the tour last time. They should really get moving and get a pool in, only the Coombe has that and only in certain circumstances

I didn't have any drugs at all for my first though caitriona, not even much gas and air... Was fast but will defo go for epidural if I can this time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Do they even have those rooms in the hospitals?
    Don't get me wrong here, I didn't get an epidural on either of my two, and intend not to third time round either-just had gas and air - and I am firmly of the opinion it's the way to go if you can manage it at all-but I thought the Domino thing was more about the pre and post natal care.Both mine were in normal delivery suits, and my birth plan was geared towards movement, no monitoring if possible, no interference and a natural birth and the like but I could still swear I know of at least two people who have had two babies with it, and both had epidurals......I know there are midwife led units in a couple of hospitals (lourdes in drogheda being one) where you can't physically get an epidural at all, but I really didn't think the domino scheme in other hospitals prevented it (ie, it's physically available if you are screaming for one!)

shesty wrote: »
    Do they even have those rooms in the hospitals?
    Don't get me wrong here, I didn't get an epidural on either of my two, and intend not to third time round either-just had gas and air - and I am firmly of the opinion it's the way to go if you can manage it at all-but I thought the Domino thing was more about the pre and post natal care.Both mine were in normal delivery suits, and my birth plan was geared towards movement, no monitoring if possible, no interference and a natural birth and the like but I could still swear I know of at least two people who have had two babies with it, and both had epidurals......I know there are midwife led units in a couple of hospitals (lourdes in drogheda being one) where you can't physically get an epidural at all, but I really didn't think the domino scheme in other hospitals prevented it (ie, it's physically available if you are screaming for one!)

Wow shesty, fair play to you, no amount of gentle birth courses and hypnobirthing could make me think natural birth is the way for me. I was all for it beforehand and wanted no interference at all but after my experience I will be insisting on an epidural the minute I get in the door. Maybe it was because I had to have an induction that it was worse, who knows though! Would love to be one of those women who "breath the baby out"

According the the stuff I was reading on the website, there are specific delivery rooms for Domino patients more geared towards staying active. And I actually remember a midwife saying that the Domino scheme delivery midwives work in a separate area, when I was in Holles St with baby number one.

I was also induced last time green, although I only had my waters broken, and it was fast. I went from 2cm to 10 in 2 hours, and managed to get the epidural in about half an hour before I was fully dilated (the midwives had no idea how fast I was progressing because last time they had checked I was only 2cm). I can honestly say that the epidural changed it from being the absolute worst experience of my life to the absolute best one. I had been in two minds about epidurals beforehand. Now I’m 100% converted!

greenttc wrote: »
    Wow shesty, fair play to you, no amount of gentle birth courses and hypnobirthing could make me think natural birth is the way for me. I was all for it beforehand and wanted no interference at all but after my experience I will be insisting on an epidural the minute I get in the door. Maybe it was because I had to have an induction that it was worse, who knows though! Would love to be one of those women who "breath the baby out"

Ah now, I never said I breathed the baby out, I just got it out!!!!!!!Honestly, the thought of a needle in my spine disturbs me a heap more than giving birth does, so I just never considered it as an option.Also I like to move to cope with labour and the idea of holding still for an epidural is like absolute torture for me-I can cope with the pain when I'm moving and being left alone!!Also that gas and air....fantastic stuff(for me anyway!)!!!!
    I have never done gentle birth or hypnobirthing although a curious bit of me is wondering would I get through it on hypnobirthing alone.This is (hopefully!) The last time I will do this, so I am a wee bit curious, but I don't think I am really willing to find out.After the first time,
    I knew the gas and air was enough to get me through so I feel I will stick with that again.Thankfully I have never had to be induced, and I definitely feel that helped matters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I didn’t realize the thread was started and I didn’t want to be first because Dec17 still has me listed every time it pops up.

Very very nervous but due 13th Oct and line progressing nicely. Had three meltdowns in fear already but managing it ok. Doing a lot of reading to distract myself. Engrossed in Mercedes lackey at the moment.

All going well until I’ll be booking a private scan around 9 weeks assuming I can wait that long

So far can’t sleep, peeing a lot and cold feet driving me nuts. I’m 4+3 now

Oh and I had been approved for an early epidural. In the end couldn’t have one because recorded labor from 0 to baby was 1hr 6....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Joining this thread with huge excitement and relief! So surprised and over the moon! Trying since October after 15 years together and 10 years on the pill.

4 bfps at various times today. Period due today, had taken First Response tests on Fri and Sat and both negative so assumed we were out this month. Took a chance and did a hcg strip test first thing this morning, totally surprised to see a positive result, then did a Superdrug own brand one, also positive! Then a First Response test positive after work and another hcg strip test positive tonight!!

Planning to phone GP tomorrow to find out what happens next!?!

Congratulations!

Not much to be honest, my GP appointment on my first consisted of ‘pee in a cup’. Yes you are pregnant. Which hospital do you want to be referred to? Ok bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thank you mirrorwall! Does the hospital then contact you with dates?

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thank you mirrorwall! Does the hospital then contact you with dates?

Yeah I got a letter then. I went with the Coombe and was seen around 12.5 weeks for booking appointment and full scan. Nobody sees you before then unless you pay for a private scan somewhere or you have problems (and even then usually they say ‘wait’).

I booked a private scan at 9 weeks the first time and it was amazing to see the baby. I’m nervous this time around so planning to make it 9 but maybe 8

Edit: I’m probably just going to refer myself this time. The form is online for the Coombe and the GP isn’t needed

Advertisement