Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yi Home Camera

• 17-07-2018 12:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I picked up a Yi Home Camera 720p in the Amazon Prime sales for just £17!

There are currently still available if anyone is interested. You have to apply a voucher (easy) to get this low price. They also have deals on the outdoor one, 1080p ones and tilt and zoom ones.

I got my first of two and I thought I'd give some impressions.

I'm very impressed with these for the price. Some of the following details around subs, etc. also apply to the other models.

Image quality is decent enough, I wouldn't say good enough for a high security situation, but good enough for my needs, good enough to be able to see what is going on.

- I'm going to use one as a baby monitor, allow me to move my Logitech Circle to another location to use full time as a security camera.
    - I decided to pick up a second to stick right on the inside of my patio door looking out through the glass!

For free without a sub you get:
    - Notifications of movement detected (can be adjusted, frequency and sensitivity). Notifications seem to take about 10 seconds to come through.
    - When you log into the camera, you can then review a 6 second clip of when the movement was detected. Nice! As far as I can tell it is storing these videos in the cloud even without a sub!
    - You can create an Activity Zone, so notifications are only received when someone enters it. This is basic, just a single, adjustable rectangle, some other cameras offer multiple zones, but others charge for this feature, while here it is free!
    - You can add an SD card to the camera so you can review longer clips then just 6 seconds. I haven't tried this yet, need to get a new SD card.

You also have sub options for uploading video clips or continuos video recording to the cloud, I haven't tried this.

I really like how small these are and the fact they use standard micro USB charging. They come with a decent stand, that has lots of options for fitting/tilting. But what is cool, you can pop the actual body of the camera out of the stand and it is only slightly larger the a €2 coin and about a matchbook thick, given you other interesting mounting options.

I've opted to just stick it straight to a window looking out and it is relatively discreet and works decently enough.

Note you need to turn off the IR at night time if doing this, IR reflects off glass. But even with IR off, I can still clearly see what is going on outside (street lgihts help).

I wouldn't say that you can make out the facial detail of people, but good enough to tell what is happening outside and if it is family or other.

I think these cameras are nice additions to allow me be able to tell what is going on around the house. I'm very happy with it for now for the price.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stop temping me. I have a D-Link camera at the moment and its pretty rubbish. It's extremely limited in its capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I have the 1080P version, used as a baby cam.
    Works quiet well. No sub here either but if you have a SD card in it, you can play any motion recorded remotely via the app.

When the 7 second clip finishes playing you can tap show 'entire clip" and watch all the recorded motion via the SD card.

64Gb card works just fine too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

64Gb card works just fine too.

Note, I think this only applies to the newer 1080p one. My 720p one specifies only cards up to 32GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just set mine up with a 32Gb card. Happy so far. Seems to a lot of functionality for a small price

Also have a outdoor one in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    Just set mine up with a 32Gb card. Happy so far. Seems to a lot of functionality for a small price

Yeah, I was interested in the outdoor one too, but I'd have to get a plug wired for it by an electrician (cables there so shouldn't be a big job), but would add to the cost, already too broke with holidays and prime sales. For now I'm just going with sticking the camera on the window.

Let us know how the outdoor camera goes.

bk wrote: »

Yeah, I was interested in the outdoor one too, but I'd have to get a plug wired for it by an electrician (cables there so shouldn't be a big job), but would add to the cost, already too broke with holidays and prime sales. For now I'm just going with sticking the camera on the window.

Let us know how the outdoor camera goes.
    Willl do, Delivery seems to be slower for the outdoor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Can you watch a live stream through 4g and if so can it be done without a sub?

Can you watch a live stream through 4g and if so can it be done without a sub?
    Camera on WiFi , then just watch it live or watch a playback from the sd on your phone over whatever means you want

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Amazon have just cancelled my order on Yi Home cam claiming the price discount was an error.

Which one did you order and how much was it ?

Yi Home Camera 720p, at 16.99 (was 39.99 with 23 discount voucher)

Yi Home Camera 720p, at 16.99 (was 39.99 with 23 discount voucher)
    That’s what I paid and got it delivered no problem.

I popped over an email to Yi UK store to get an answer.

Well I ordered two. One a few days before the Prime sale when they were actually priced at £17, no voucher required and a second one during the prime sale with voucher.

The first one already arrived, the second hasn't dispatched yet, but no cancellation either, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Having read the bargain alert, I bought one of these (for £16.99). I didn't need it of course but that's the way we roll here on Boards. I already have 2 IP cameras (all the way from China). The downsides for the Yi Home camera is that I can only access it using the dedicated app and I can't upload streams to an FTP server (which I'm paying €5 a month). That said, it is a very handy little gadget and the app is very easy to use. Stick in a microSD, set up motion alerts and you're away in a hack. No regrets..... and tempted to buy another.

Have the outdoor one up and running.

Came with a 3m USB cable , one end permenantly attached to the camera the other witha bulky USB connector. So I cut the cable and extended it then fed it into The house and plugged it in.

Playback is good. I would prefer more if a fish eye lense.
    The alerts are very sensitive and may have to adjust it.
    There’s an alarm feature that sounds via the cameras speakers if it senses movement

Here is some day and night footage.

https://imgur.com/gallery/79F8Qwf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Wow, that is crystal clear! I'd say even better than my Ring 2 doorbell.

Must pick one of these up.

What model is this, the 720p model outdoor?

The 1080p is £80 on amazon. Tempted!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

LOL my windows definitely need cleaning :D

Naturally the outdoor camera will have much better view then trying to look through a window. I really need to get an electrician around and get a plug fitted for one of these.

verycool wrote: »

Wow, that is crystal clear! I'd say even better than my Ring 2 doorbell.

Must pick one of these up.

What model is this, the 720p model outdoor?

The 1080p is £80 on amazon. Tempted!
    It’s this one :
    https://m.geekbuying.com/item/YI-1080p-WiFi-Outdoor-Security-Camera-White-389561.html?Currency=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjw7vraBRBbEiwA4WBOnw7QVA4bQsfOVeusurbz98fwQLvpJpK_wp5_hQ1cf10of9oXnNxNABoC1IYQAvD_BwE

It’s 1080p, Around 40gbp during prime day.

I have the indoor one pointing out the back via the kitchen window and during the day it’s grand, but at night it just sees the reflection of the IR lights but as soon as the PIR floodlight comes on it kills the IR lights so works grand but the resolution is less

I have the indoor one pointing out the back via the kitchen window and during the day it’s grand, but at night it just sees the reflection of the IR lights but as soon as the PIR floodlight comes on it kills the IR lights so works grand but the resolution is less

You can turn off the IR lights in the settings and can actually work pretty decent at night even without the floodlight, obviously depending on street lights, etc.

At least good enough to tell if friend or foe is outside, though not good enough for Crime call :)

Considering the quality and location of that camera, whats the legal status on having camera on your home premises that also records out onto the public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭goose06

Considering the quality and location of that camera, whats the legal status on having camera on your home premises that also records out onto the public road?

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/242.htm

Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

Reference: ECJ Ruling on household exemption C-212/13 - Ryneš

^^as above. But really bothered not as it’s focused on my property and the alert zone only focuses on my property. (You can set a box where motion alerts will operate )

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭insular1

How much of a delay is there between the camera picking up an image and it displaying on the phone for these? Thinking about picking one up for a baby monitor. Have a couple Arlo cams and they are great but the video stream on the phone lags about 5-10 seconds behind the live event and seems to depend on how good my wifi signal is at the time. Perfect for monitoring when away from home but didn't work as baby camera as you'd hear a noise upstairs and have to wait 5 seconds and be running half way to the room before the image would show that she had just thrown a toy out of the cot or something. Not good for my wife's nerves, or mine for that matter! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Can you connect to this without the app? I've a synology nas that I'm on the lookout for a cheap IP camera for i.e. I'd rather a straight IP link to the synology and then use the synology for viewing. removes the reliance on a app which may be abandoned if / when a new model is released.

• Advertisement

iSpy is free and open source. It can scan for IP cameras on your network and attempt to build a URL based on a massive database of known devices/URLs. Otherwise you could do a packet capture on your network to find what's likely an rtsp url of some sort.

I've done so for some relatively unknown d-link camera model and managed to build a user and pass protected rtsp url from it.

Linky

Advertisement